New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi,

I'm planning to create a little game server with (among others) a game similar to Stratego. It will be a non-commercial project.

Before I begin to implement the game, I should know about any copyright stuff concerning the game of Stratego, not to violate any rights.

I assume that the graphic design of the pieces and board is copyrighted, so I should create an own design.

But are the game rules themselves also copyrighted? May anyone implement a game with rules identical (or almost identical) to those of Stratego without permission or license?

Is it possible to use all the piece names (Marshal, ... , Scout, Spy, Flag) from Stratego for a different though similar game without explicit permission?

#2 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hi,

I'm planning to create a little game server with (among others) a game similar to Stratego. It will be a non-commercial project.

Before I begin to implement the game, I should know about any copyright stuff concerning the game of Stratego, not to violate any rights.

I assume that the graphic design of the pieces and board is copyrighted, so I should create an own design.

But are the game rules themselves also copyrighted? May anyone implement a game with rules identical (or almost identical) to those of Stratego without permission or license?

Is it possible to use all the piece names (Marshal, ... , Scout, Spy, Flag) from Stratego for a different though similar game without explicit permission?

Yo Thom,

It's a good question whether it's copyright related

cuz' Jumbo used to body sites to play this!

Before this, I was playing onlinestratego.com....untill they got a godly sign to break it...

apart cuz' Jumbo accused them of a sloppy crime to fake this!  :o

But it's a vague issue cuz' Gravon and Meta were not asked to stop the sites they made kid,

which means they have somehow got the right to place it

and they're the exception who don't get locked inside their matrix!  ;)

So are you restricted in your actions due to a copyright replacement?

This question is hot and wide debated

so I suggest you contact The Maestro since he's a lawyer, he's occupied with cases

that are often quite related

so this sjit will sound like music to his ears and I don't mean a Spotifyin' playlist!  :D

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#3 Thom27

Thom27

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. This might help me, somehow :)

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

Thom, look at my link http://forum.strateg...-strategy-game/ and see if this would be a game you think could be possible to make or find out about.  

#5 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. This might help me, somehow :)

Just to be careful, I would consider checking with the site owners. The Terms and Conditions link (bottom right, scroll all the way down) have some IP clauses.

How can I help you?

#6 Ash

Ash

Scout

• Stratego Staff
  • 78 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi Thom27

I am not 100% sure on what exactly is and isnt copyrighted and what the deal is when it concerns non-commercial products.

I have sent your question to Jumbo. Let's hope they respond soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users