#1 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,743 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

We may be unable to get application changes as quickly as we want, but here's a list from me for when we get things moving again in the programming ranks.  The items I can remember right now are limited, and are here they are in no particular order.  Most have been previously discussed in detail in the forums.

Here's my list:

1. Auto Draw after X number of moves (latest consensus was 200 moves per player without a capture) 
  2. Give three brief (30-120 sec.) "timeouts" to each player per game.  These would NOT   require opponent permission.  They would be akin to timeouts in most any sport. They could be taken at any time by either player.
  3. Limit draw requests to one's turn only, and putting a cap of five-ten requests per player per game.  TRUE fix is #1 above!
  4. Remove Leader Board "sitters" after one month. Player rank would never be lost, though.
  5. Combine all Leader Boards into one unified Ranking Board that has every ACTIVE player listed (who is 251st Silver and lower today?)
  6. Hot button link on game screen for Google Translate so we can talk to each other easier.
  7. Hot button for taking screenshots to make that easier, with tools to blank out one's material information and to upload to admins or J.C.
  8. Enact the 3/4 plan for the 2 Square rule for a two month test period next year after any first of the year tourney.  
  9. Make Leader Board flags give country name when hovered over, to make things more interesting.  Few will know what countries all the flags represent.
  10. Make piece captured/lost information start off colored and then shade to gray as each piece is captured or lost. This would be more intuitive as when all pieces are alive everything should be at its most vibrant color, and then fade to an increasingly gray death as pieces of that rank are captured or lost.
  11. Statistical information showing player vs player records, last ten games played, and more.  Put this information on a player's profile page.  Maybe the computer could tell you your record against an opponent once it pairs you up for a game.
  12. Put a "Hot Players This Week" bar/button on the profile page.  When clicked this would show the hottest winning percentages for that week.  Anyone at any rank could qualify if they played ten games. The button would reset on Sundays.
  13. Ban multiple accounts just as the rules of the website stipulate we should do.
  14. Allow Silver players to reject one match per day that the computer gives them as a privilege for their lofty rank.

There's my list.  I'm sure I'll think of a few things to add later.

GLS

• Dekaeneas-Spy and Luckypapa like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#2 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Add:

- Sci-Fi game mode

- Quick game leaderboards

- Spectate mode (would be great agains cheaters/runners

What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of *bleeping* A holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your *bleeping* fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So...what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide--how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy!

2zjf5h4.jpg

#3 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,743 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Nice ideas.  Yes, the Quick Game needs its own Leader Boards.  It also needs its own separate ranking system so that a win in 10 doesn't cross over to a win record in 40 pc games, and vice-versa.  And Spectator mode would definitely be a great idea.  You're probably right it would aid in what is now called cheating in so many games. If an admin or J.C. member could step in and observe a game, that would be very powerful.  Besides that it would be nice to be able to watch other matches if the participants allowed it. But since this would reveal important setup info it's not likely any top notch players would ever permit it.  But it's a good idea for the Admins.

Another thought is that the J.C. members would have to recuse themselves from any game they'd seen the opponent's recent previous setups.

Thanks for the good ideas.

GLS

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#4 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

I would also like to add this:

The chatbox should still be there when a game is over, untill you press the yellow button at the games summary (can't remember what is be said there)

How often did you had a hard game with a kind opponent but can't read what one of us was saying after the summary pop-up.

• Luckypapa likes this

What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of *bleeping* A holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your *bleeping* fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So...what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide--how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy!

2zjf5h4.jpg

#5 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Another thought is that the J.C. members would have to recuse themselves from any game they'd seen the opponent's recent previous setups.

In principle, I agree with this. How this is practically implemented is a bit challenging at present. First, most of us on the JC (I am probably the weakest member by sheer rank - though I'd venture to say that if I played more frequently, I would be around a silver scout by now given recent consistent wins over marshals and low silvers and limited losses to those under bronze general) are used to playing opponents who should be experienced enough to modify their setups - especially when they notice they are playing a JC member (it goes both ways). Right now, the only way to "recuse" oneself would be to take a loss by departure - which also wouldn't be fair to either player. 

I haven't run into this scenario, yet, but my suggestion for best practice - for now - would be for JC members to notify their opponents during setup if they recently reviewed a report with a setup from their opponent. This would give all folks a chance to modify their setups as they like. 

Furthermore, 99% of the reports we get have the screenshots publicly posted and/or have setups substantially hidden/disguised (unless absolutely necessary to show for evaluation purposes). As such, the benefits of a recusal would be limited given JC members are unlikely to have seen their (full) setup any more than any other member reviewing the Cheater Report thread.

How can I help you?

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,743 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

I would also like to add this:

The chatbox should still be there when a game is over, untill you press the yellow button at the games summary (can't remember what is be said there)

How often did you had a hard game with a kind opponent but can't read what one of us was saying after the summary pop-up.

Another nice idea, WYF.  In general it's kind of harder to get hold of people to visit with than I wish it were, and this end of the game time is good for conversations, I agree.  But, I think it could also be the time many of the abusive comments are launched, you know?  If the chat never went away after a game had ended I could see a number of vulgar remarks then appearing, as the heat of the battle is fresh.

GLS

i77rs4m.jpg

#7 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Gary, I've liked your post because you have taken the initiative to make this list of wishes. It doesn't mean I agree with all your points, but it is good to collect al wishes so if the moment is there Keesing awakes and finds some money and time to improve this site, they know what we want.
In a later stage can be made a priority in all points, of course, with the toppoints where everyone bothers to (is this good English??, I don't allways trust Google translate....).
Maybe there can be made a possibility (in future) we can vote about changes, AFTER fixing the top3. But I think we should stay close to the official rules.

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#8 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Gary, I've liked your post because you have taken the initiative to make this list of wishes. It doesn't mean I agree with all your points, but it is good to collect al wishes so if the moment is there Keesing awakes and finds some money and time to improve this site, they know what we want.
In a later stage can be made a priority in all points, of course, with the toppoints where everyone bothers to (is this good English??, I don't allways trust Google translate....).
Maybe there can be made a possibility (in future) we can vote about changes, AFTER fixing the top3. But I think we should stay close to the official rules.

Lucky

Yo Lucky, I'm gonna react briefly today.

You think that Keesing awakes? Well, that's an indecent mistake

cuz' really it's fake since they don't have the healing to safe

this site so Keesing's away and the reason I say

that these people are prey

is because their company went broke so it won't be easy to change

their buggin' software which is still severely in place! :D

All the programmers are gone, that is clearly the case

and although the fact we all love dearly this game,

this site is going nearly insane and it remains a yearly debate

whether Jumbo pulls the plug since the costs are no longer merely paid!

So don't get your hope up,...cuz' maybe there comes an austerely break

and then this site will go down with all its cavalierly displays!

Was signed,

Trickz....yours sincerely mate! ;)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#9 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

One more, WHICH HAS TO BE DEALT WITH.

It's the reason i'm done with this site for a while... again.

Rejoin a match when your on the setup screen and for some reason gets kicked out of the set-up screen...

Shockwave crashes makes me lose useless games.

Or the strange bug which sets you back to the playmenu leaving you without a loss, without any sign of what happened.

There is a useless button to leave, but there is nothing to gets you back in the game..

2zjf5h4.jpg

#10 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,743 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

Lucky

Lucky, if you're using Google Translate, it's fine.  Not perfect, but fine enough English.  Yes, I agree that the list is my points.  You're right about a Top 3.  Glitches and Auto Draw are probably one and two.  Anyway, we may be wasting our breath with all the chatter on such things, as the so-called realists would point out, but what else are we to do?  All we do here is play Stratego and write about our experiences with it.  I'm not expecting any programming fixes any time soon.  Jumbo may pull the plug any day, or never.  Who's to know?  I'm going to just keep on keeping on until the day comes that I have to cross that bridge.  (English idiom:  means "have to deal with the problem").  

What's more realistic than that?

GLS

i77rs4m.jpg

#11 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

Found another one..

It's ridicilous a sore loser can leave a game and the oppenent has to wait 2 and a half minute to get the victory..

It's ridicilous a sore glitcher has two and a half minute to change in tablets/browser to get himself 3 more tie button

But as soon as you actually got an internet connection problem, forcing you to be kicked out of the game, you only got 1 minute to solve the problem and return..

See the problem there?!

2zjf5h4.jpg

#12 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

Lucky, if you're using Google Translate, it's fine.  Not perfect, but fine enough English.  Yes, I agree that the list is my points.  You're right about a Top 3.  Glitches and Auto Draw are probably one and two.  Anyway, we may be wasting our breath with all the chatter on such things, as the so-called realists would point out, but what else are we to do?  All we do here is play Stratego and write about our experiences with it.  I'm not expecting any programming fixes any time soon.  Jumbo may pull the plug any day, or never.  Who's to know?  I'm going to just keep on keeping on until the day comes that I have to cross that bridge.  (English idiom:  means "have to deal with the problem").  

What's more realistic than that?

GLS

Yo Gary,

Why do you wanna use Google Translate?

You need to know what's the Greek translation for brutal azzrape? :D

Everybody should stick to their own language in order to provide a neutral landscape

cuz' to have your own identity is a crucial plan, face...

the fact that you don't need the footle, damn straight

since the result on this site would be a futile fanbase!

And no, you can't say the same thing about my fruitful raps mate

cuz' they are from a high and truthfull class rate

since they provide me a usefull bragstate

to create some epic sjit without needing your approval, that's great! :D

#13 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,743 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

Yo Gary,

Why do you wanna use Google Translate?

You need to know what's the Greek translation for brutal azzrape? :D

Everybody should stick to their own language in order to provide a neutral landscape

cuz' to have your own identity is a crucial plan, face...

the fact that you don't need the footle, damn straight

since the result on this site would be a futile fanbase!

And no, you can't say the same thing about my fruitful raps mate

cuz' they are from a high and truthfull class rate

since they provide me a usefull bragstate

to create some epic sjit without needing your approval, that's great! :D

Trickz, Ha!  I guess you're right.  It could be that something not necessarily good gets translated.  Oh well, what are we to do then?  We already have people using bad language all in English to one another.  If it's Greek or German or what have you, then that won't be any worse, I think.  

Guess I'm thinking of more constructive conversations and how they would be aided by Google Translate.

Not ever been sure what language we should call your poetry, though.  It's a special form of in-your-face rapping that does an end-around polite rules, what with all your freaky spellings and made-up words.  But I can usually follow you. . .mostly.  And even when I can't, I think I get the gist of the positivism or negativism, and I often agree with you.  I don't agree with you, however, when you say you do not need anyone's approval, because I believe one has to operate with some kind of self-constraint or we get, as they commonly say, anarchy.  We could each still get banned or punished here for what we say so I choose to remain on the civil side.  And, by the way,  I'm glad the old icon's gone.  That was just too over the top for me, if you couldn't guess.

For what it's worth, I also like your prose better than your poetry.  Possibly because the prose is more rare.  Possibly because it reads like Dr. Jeckyll while your poetry comes off like Mr. Hyde.  But whatever, I've always felt you have made your most powerful and substantive statements doing it straight up without any poetic mask.  Did you hear the "cha ching"?  That was my two cents' worth.

GLS

i77rs4m.jpg

#14 Nortrom

Nortrom

Marshal

• WC Online Team
  • 3,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

Since 1961 Stratego® has attracted millions of players across the globe and has introduced strategy gaming to generations of future, occasional and avid boardgamers. Many variations of Stratego’s classic gameplay have been brought to the market over the years, all of which retain the iconic elements that made Stratego so popular; including, deployment phase, capture the flag and hidden rankings.
Now Slitherine and Royal Jumbo have joined forces to develop and publish a brand new series of Stratego video games, with a modern and compelling design twist which will launch on all major platforms. The goal is to bring Stratego’s heritage to a brand new generation of gamers.

"This is a very important new collaboration for Slitherine", said JD McNeil, Chairman of the Slitherine Group. "We continually strive to reach new players with fresh and innovative titles, both old and new, to introduce them to this great hobby of strategy and wargames. Our genre is growing exponentially and as market leaders of this sector, we feel it is vitally important that we continue to improve and further expand our reach. The Stratego brand is a wonderful opportunity to do this and many players will welcome such a recognizable brand name, to persuade them to have a go".

The new series of Stratego games is already in development with The Lordz Games Studio (http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com) and will release in 2015 on all major platforms, but no further detail regarding the scope, design and game features have as yet been announced.

"Generations grew up with Stratego as the classic game of battlefield strategy", said Arend Smit, CEO of Royal Jumbo. “We are excited to be working with the Slitherine Group which is clearly established and successful in its field of strategic war games. We believe that together we can create a totally new and unique digital game experience and bring Stratego to the next level.”

http://www.slitherin...t=46866#p442024

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog post

Have an ongoing issue with the MT and in need of a "lawyer?" Nortrom Stratego Legal Services offers their services pro deo.

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor”

#15 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Stratego alive and kicking!
But does this mean there is coming a brand new site and stratego.com will die a silent death?
Or....

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#16 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

That's great news, but wait?! 2015?!?!

Does it mean we won't get major changes in 2014 and what will happen to this site?

2zjf5h4.jpg

#17 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

Trickz, Ha!  I guess you're right.  It could be that something not necessarily good gets translated.  Oh well, what are we to do then?  We already have people using bad language all in English to one another.  If it's Greek or German or what have you, then that won't be any worse, I think.  

Guess I'm thinking of more constructive conversations and how they would be aided by Google Translate.

Not ever been sure what language we should call your poetry, though.  It's a special form of in-your-face rapping that does an end-around polite rules, what with all your freaky spellings and made-up words.  But I can usually follow you. . .mostly.  And even when I can't, I think I get the gist of the positivism or negativism, and I often agree with you.  I don't agree with you, however, when you say you do not need anyone's approval, because I believe one has to operate with some kind of self-constraint or we get, as they commonly say, anarchy.  We could each still get banned or punished here for what we say so I choose to remain on the civil side.  And, by the way,  I'm glad the old icon's gone.  That was just too over the top for me, if you couldn't guess.

For what it's worth, I also like your prose better than your poetry.  Possibly because the prose is more rare.  Possibly because it reads like Dr. Jeckyll while your poetry comes off like Mr. Hyde.  But whatever, I've always felt you have made your most powerful and substantive statements doing it straight up without any poetic mask.  Did you hear the "cha ching"?  That was my two cents' worth.

GLS

Yo Gary,

You don’t know how to define my language today?

Well,…it simply depends on which angle you face.

I guess most people have a problem with my raps, they can’t handle it straight

even though 90 percent of my words are commonly used thus I don’t strangle the grace

of being polite which means that verbally, I’m not a vandal okay

so there’s no scandal in place, a dismantling case?

Not at all Gary, it’s just my way of expressin’ although it’s not the standard to take!   :D 

Sometimes I’m writing normal and sometimes I’m in the mood for rappin’ it great,

that’s a mistake?  I won’t have it you mate so I don’t fancy your say

about the fact you rather wanna see normal quotes that’ll pass on the stage!  

I’m just different when it comes to manage the stakes

of what I actually say, factual straight?

That’s the intention at least although some people will practically say I belong to a baffling race!   :D 

Especially when I’m battling mate,…

cuz’ I can’t stand losing and that means there’s a violent chat on the way

thus I will verbally attack in his face for his embarassing play :

"Hey dipsjit, you’re really arrogant mate!

I can’t stand how you play, you’re just a matter of waste

so  I hope someone will scatter your brain into fractions today!"  :D 

Gary, it’s maybe not polite but believe me, the action is great

cuz’ for me it’s in fact a tactical spray to distract him okay!  ;) 

Everything for the win or is this quote too sad to display?  

Freedom of speech means in fact to be straight…

free of all the stuff you can actually say!  

There’s no restriction and it’s not my problem that a guy for this reason would snap in the game!

I don’t know my opponent Gary,…so why would he take it personal that I give some trash on his plate?

If you have some common sense, you would understand my content is filled with crap when I play!  :D 

By the way, what’s wrong with my old display? A baby with a middlefinger, you blast it away?  

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning” is a lot worse, I’m promotin’ the war its propaganda you mate!  ;) 

So if you think it’s more polite to be nuked than to get a hand gesture,…then you’re mad and insane

but nevertheless,  I’m glad we’re the same

cuz’ that means we both think our opponent has to DIE and that insanity’s great!   :D 

But keep in mind Gary,…this occurs only when I’m planning a game

so besides that, there is no mister Hyde who has mastered my brain!

I’m the nice mister Jekyll but in fights, he will HYDE, that is the play

and that’s also the reason I love the kill so I'll dance on your grave!    :D 

#18 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

yay, another one.. Even though I know it's useless to write it down here, as I assume the new developers will have a totally different lay-out and script..

- Auto-setup or auto-loss if some1 doesn't press the ready button at the setup screen, unlike to nonsense it is as it is at the moment...

I don't wanna bring people to idea's but it's the best and cheapest way to avoid some1 clearly better than you.

2zjf5h4.jpg

#19 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Here comes 2 other things which the new developers need to adjust..

The ridiclous chat system in the main menu?

Is there anyone here using it? nope..

Does newbies use it to spam sometimes? yep..

Is it close to impossible to find a person for a quick chat (without adding him) at the main menu? nope..

Second one:

So, I had to poopoo..Asked for a pause, and my opponent accepted..

Brought my laptop to the toilet and accidently closed down the tablet..

First reaction was, uhoh, followed by, well I got time enough..

In 30 seconds I was back in the main menu, but hey, wtf happened there? hurray, a loss..

Wtf is wrong with the timers here? Can't handle 2 timers? the pause timer and the login back timer, what's the deal here?

2zjf5h4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users