#81 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

another sometimes tricky situation to watch out for, it got me quite a bit when I was beginning:

Key: B=bomb b=blank square S=spy G=general M=Marshal X=other pieces L=Lake.

S X X B

L L       L L

L L G   L L

b b X

___M____

So in this situation player2(blue) may think he is safe cause if player1's marshal comes toward the gen, the gen can get diagonal.

But then player1 does this:

S X X B

L L       L L

L L G   L L

b X<

___M____

Player2 remains where he is with general, and move some other piece.

S X X B                         (BEGINNING HERE....GLS)

L L       L L        

L L G   L L

X<

___M____

Now player2 is trapped with gen

S X X B                          

L L       L L

L L G   L L

X M                              (AND THROUGH THE MOVE HERE.....GLS)

___^___

And the marshal gets to take the general, because of the 2 squares rule.

gl with your games,

LM

Maybe S-NL will show us some "tricky" moves ;)

Losermaker, I'm a bit confused by your example.  It looks like the Red player gets to move twice in a row.  Where I wrote in blue above in your quoted area, you have the Red player moving his lesser "X" piece out of the way.  But in the very next move we see the Red Marshal moving again without any intervening Blue General move.  However, a simple sideways move, in his turn by the Blue General, would've saved the Blue General.  If he is to be trapped by the Red Marshal, the Blue General must stay where he is twice in a row.  Is this not right?  I can see that he is trapped but I cannot see he is killed by the Marshal.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

GLS

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#82 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,446 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

A simple sideways move would not save the blue general because the marshal would then also move to the right (instead of moving forward into a diagonal with the general).  After repeating these moves three times the blue general cannot move sideways again.  It could retreat, but it is trapped and will eventually be captured.  In fact, if red plays things right, there is nothing blue can do even from the original position to avoid capture, unless he can open up a path by which to retreat to his spy.

Here's another cool trap along the same lines as Losermaker's example:  The red S is a scout but blue doesn't know it.  Blue thinks his general is safe and can move to the left if the marshal approaches or if the unknown piece retreats.  But then the scout zips down two spaces and the general is trapped.  

X  X  X
-   -   X
-   G  L
S   -   L
-   M   -
-   -    X
X  X 

#83 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

A simple sideways move would not save the blue general because the marshal would then also move to the right (instead of moving forward into a diagonal with the general).  After repeating these moves three times the blue general cannot move sideways again.  It could retreat, but it is trapped and will eventually be captured.  In fact, if red plays things right, there is nothing blue can do even from the original position to avoid capture, unless he can open up a path by which to retreat to his spy.

Here's another cool trap along the same lines as Losermaker's example:  The red S is a scout but blue doesn't know it.  Blue thinks his general is safe and can move to the left if the marshal approaches or if the unknown piece retreats.  But then the scout zips down two spaces and the general is trapped.  

X  X  X
-   -   X
-   G  L
S   -   L
-   M   -
-   -    X
X  X 

The Prof, yes, in Losermaker's example that is right.  Thank you for clarifying.  It's interesting that a "full bind" can happen as you describe like that, more or less remotely, at first.  In any event in this scenario the blue General is trapped to his death.  I was just confused by the double movement of the red pieces in the example.  But it really wouldn't matter at the instant, as you point out.  The General has been blind to get into that situation, that's for sure.  

In your example it seems very bizarre for the General to find himself there as well.  Again, the "full binding" is happening with the Marshal not even adjacent to the General.  It will be the end of the General here too, yes.  But the only thing I have to say is that normally I would expect a General to be backed up by the Spy in both yours and Losermaker's examples.  In his Losermaker specifies that this is not the case, but in yours it is assumed.  I just think the norm would not be to leave one's General so vulnerable like that.  I want to add, for the benefit of others interested in this dead General scenario that by "down" you mean the red Scout moves back toward his own side.

Thanks to both you guys for bringing this up and explaining it.  It is good to understand all the facets of the 2 Square rule that are used.  Any other "tricks" with it you can think of will be appreciated.  And I mean that, even though I would just add to the whole thing that the ethics behind the death of the blue General in these nifty spots is wrong, sadly wrong.  After all, it's a pretty helpless online General who can't run for his life when all his boot camp recruits are asked to run miles in training.  My old board game Generals must have been in better 2 Square shape!

I know, old news.  

Thanks Losermaker and The Prof.

GLS

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#84 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Is there any high level support for an experimental 3/4 change to the 2 square rule for one month, or even one week, this year?  

GLS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users