Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

Not really a bug perhaps, but just wanted to point out that in many areas of the game, both spellings are being used to describe the piece of Marshal/Marshall.

The most noticeable references of both spellings are in the rules area. If you read the rules it uses one L but, when you look at that ranking of the pieces it goes back to using two L's. If you read the list of achievements, it uses two L's, but you wait for the game to load it will show a piece and it says what pieces captures what it uses one L.

Funny to note here, I'm from the US and just found out I've been spelling it the British way of using two L's and thought spelling it with one L was a typo. Both spellings are indeed acceptable, but perhaps the site may want to stick with one or the other.

#2 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Lol, that something like that comes to your attention haha!
A remarkable sharp vision! B)
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#3 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I know I see odd things from time to time when testing out games. I used to beta test for a couple card game sites, and saw a few things the programmers were surprised I noticed.

#4 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Seems like a typo to me, easy fix.
Posted Image

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Midnightguy, I see your question here was a long time ago, but I don't see an answer to it, exactly.

My online dictionaries tell me Marshal with one "L" is the correct for the military position, and that two "L's" refers to names of people or towns, such as Marshall, Texas.  If 2 "L's" is the English spelling, that's interesting. If you watch the following video, you will see as the camera pans the game board that the #1 piece (Milton Bradley 1960's version) is called a "Marshal" with 1 "L".  That's what I grew up with, but I'll bet I've called it "Marshall" also a time or two.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wWKQbEmZIbg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#6 Lady Kathryn

Lady Kathryn

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

"Marshal" is an ancient loan word from Old (Norman) French, cf. modern French maréchal, which in turn is borrowed from Old Frankish *marhskalk "stable boy, keeper, servant", still evident in Middle Dutch maerscalc, marscal "id.", modern Dutch maarschalk "military commander" (the meaning influence by the French). It is cognate with Old High German mar(ah)-scalc "id.", modern German Marschall "military commander" (the meaning influenced by the French).[3] It originally meant "stable keeper", from Germanic *marha- "horse" (cf. Engl. mare) and skalk- "servant" (cf. Old Engl. scealc "servant, soldier").[4] This "stable servant" origin is retained in the current French name for farrier: maréchal-ferrant.

Definition of MARSHAL (noun)
a : a high official in the household of a medieval king, prince, or noble originally having charge of the cavalry but later usually in command of the military forces
b : a person who arranges and directs the ceremonial aspects of a gathering
Definition of MARSHAL (verb)
a : to place in proper rank or position <marshaling the troops>
b : to bring together and order in an appropriate or effective way <marshal arguments>
c : to lead ceremoniously or solicitously : usher <marshaling her little group of children down the street>

What seems evident, is that the spelling of 'marshal', when applied as noun or verb, is, in fact. one 'l', but marshall with 2 'l's' is a proper noun, i.e. NAME.
OR, perhaps an easier thing would be to say that if the American numbering of '1' being the highest rank is used, then it is spelled with TWO 'L'S', AND IF NUMBERED AS ten, one 'L'.
As was earlier suggested in a different thread in this Forum, that the developers are 'pony-tailed sandal-wearing 'kids' concerned with Androids and iPads (sic), with no real knowledge of Stratego', in which case MARSHALL IS TEN and MARSHAL is ONE. a SIMPLE RULE FOR SIMPLE COMPREHENSION OF REAL-WORLD Stratego.......
wc 2010x2.jpg

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

L.K.,

Thanks again for the incredibly detailed investigation of "marshal".  It is very interesting how languages are only slightly different from one another.  God did a number on us at the Tower of Babel, that's for sure.

The only thing I know for sure is that the American game video in my post clearly shows only 1 "L" for the Marshal.   

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users