Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

Dear Community,

Players in the community have been discussing ways to stop chasers, delayers and other unsportsmen like behavior without crippling the game itself. Some players have noted that the 2 square rule is confusing and eventually will trap a piece that should be able to continue to run away. With great discussion, I have decided to call a vote. Any and all players may choose to participate in this vote. I will post 2 questions on this thread and we ask that you keep your answers simple and short (Yes or No answers only please.) Any answers that are too long or off topic will be deleted. Below is a description of the Anti-Chase Bind System. Please read the system before posting your answers.

Anti-Chase Bind System: If 2 opposing pieces are resting on squares diagonally adjacent from one another, this is called a “Pre-Bind.” A “Pre-Bind” is readying the path for a “Full-Bind.” If 2 opposing pieces are resting on squares horizontally or vertically adjacent from one another, this is called a “Full-Bind,” meaning the pieces are bound together. A “Full-Bind” may only be created if a “Pre-Bind” was created first by 2 opposing pieces resting on squares diagonally adjacent from one another. Any pieces that are in a “Pre-Bind” can be labeled as a “Pre-Bind” if they are resting on any 2 squares connected diagonally adjacent from one another. Any pieces that are in a “Full-Bind” can be labeled as a “Full-Bind” if they are resting on any 2 squares connected horizontally or vertically adjacent to one another. Once a “Pre-Bind” is created, a player may choose to create a “Full-Bind” by moving their piece that is adjacently diagonal from their opponent’s piece, to adjacently horizontal or vertical from their opponent’s piece. Remember, a “Pre-Bind” ALWAYS needs to be created in order for a “Full-Bind” to be created.

When a “Pre-Bind” is created, the AI will make a cache note that the “Pre-Bind” has been created and that a “Full-Bind” is allowed to be created soon after. At any time, a piece may leave a “Pre-Bind” by moving 1 space away from the opposing piece. This will totally break the “Pre-Bind” and the AI cache will be cleared. If a “Pre-Bind” is set in place and a pawn moves horizontally or vertically adjacent to an opposing piece, this will allow a “Full-Bind” to be created and the AI will note this. At any time, a piece may break a “Full-Bind” by moving away from the opposing piece. Once a “Full-Bind” is successfully broken, in order to create another “Full-Bind” the pieces must first create another “Pre-Bind.” There are 2 types of ways to break a “Full-Bind.”
  • A piece may totally break a “Full-Bind” by moving 1 space away from the opposing piece. The 2 pieces must have a gap of 1 full square away from each other in order for a total break to occur. The 2 pieces may NOT be resting diagonally adjacent from one another by any means in order for a total break to occur. Taking this action will clear the AI cache of “Pre-Binds” and “Full-Binds” from the 2 target pieces. Once any 1 of the 2 pieces are captured, the AI cache is cleared.
  • A piece may semi-break a “Full-Bind” by moving 1 space away from the opposing piece to create a diagonal between the 2 pieces. If the 2 pieces are resting diagonally adjacent to one another, this will create a “Pre-Bind.” The AI will then note that a “Full-Bind” has just a semi-break and that a new “Pre-Bind” has just been created. This will not clear the AI cache by any means. If a player’s piece semi-breaks a “Full-Bind” and the “Full-Bind” remains semi-broken on the same player’s next turn, the AI will clear all “Full-Bind” notes from the cache. On the opposing player’s turn, the opposing player may choose NOT to clear the AI cache by chasing the piece that has JUST left the semi-broken “Full-Bind.” These 2 pieces must first be in a “Pre-Bind,” resting on squares diagonally adjacent from one another before taking this action. This will create a reconstructed “Full-Bind” with the same 2 pieces. Recreating or reconstructing a “Full-Bind” is considered chasing and the AI will store notes that the player is reconstructing the same broken “Pre-Bind” and semi-broken “Full-Bind” over and over. Once any 1 of the 2 pieces are captured, the AI cache is cleared.
If an opposing player reconstructs the same semi-broken “Full-Bind” 5 times in a row, the opposing player will be prompted with a message. The message will read, “You may not continuously chase pieces that are unable to be captured.” Once the opposing player clicks the “OK” button, the player will NOT be able to move the target piece in a manner that reconstructs the same “Full-Bind” once again. The opposing player may choose not to move the target piece at all if this occurs. The opposing player may also decide to move away from the bound piece by breaking the “Pre-Bind.” After this action has taken place, the AI will clear the cache.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Questionnaire:
Question 1: Should the new “Bind-System” displayed above be implemented in game? (Yes/No)

Question 2: Should the 2 square rule be removed from game and replaced with a new anti-chase system like the
“Bind-System?” (Yes/No)
_____________________________________________________________________________________

HmmNess
  • vowles_23 likes this
Posted Image

#2 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

Hey HmmNess,

It's great that you make a poll about this topic. I wanted to write that as well in the other post but I thought it wouldn't have use to do it.
But maybe it has, you can always try at least.
Let's see what the Stratego-community on this site thinks of it.

My thoughts about this are known so I'll be short.
Question 1 : YES
Question 2 : YES
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#3 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

I say Yes to both questions. If the higher piece can't catch the lower piece that is trapped, then the higher piece should be forced to stay there until another piece can come to assist or they will just have accept that peice can't be captured and move on to another strategy that won't lead to back and forth movement.
  • SuperDrew2k and GaryLShelton like this

#4 Spece

Spece

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Question 1 : YES
Question 2 : YES
Posted Image

#5 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Q1: Yes
Q2: No

#6 KingTubby

KingTubby

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Q1: no
Q2: no
Posted Image
I man rule the arena

#7 AceInhibitor

AceInhibitor

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Q1: Unsure

#8 Lord_AvS

Lord_AvS

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Q1: No

Nothing's good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

#9 vaderd2k

vaderd2k

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

yes and yes

#10 cotton

cotton

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

q1: yes
q2: yes

#11 DeMolay

DeMolay

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

I vote No to both.
Although I would support any method to stop chasers and delayers, I think any intervention by the software changes the intent of the game. Being able to get away from a trap creates an advantage to the "trapped " player. My earlier suggestion is Too Much, I agree.
What if we report those players to the administrators at a preset box. Any player who will be reported by a certain number of players (higher and lower than the "Reported" in rating), this player's rating will be reset. After a certain number of times a player rating is reset, then this player should be deemed as not suitable to be part of this community !!!!

#12 vowles_23

vowles_23

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Question 1: Yes
Question 2: Yes

When I was playing my first game here, and I encountered the message after being chased, that you can't keep moving back and forth - - I thought that it was ridiculous that I was the person that had to move away - after all, I'm only reacting to my opponent's moves, I don't have a choice. I'm a chess player, so I was very surprised that when the position was repeated three times in a row, I couldn't claim a draw. I thought this was a rule in all kinds of strategy board games. So my suggestion:

Create a warning before the threefold-repetition occurs, and once it does - enable both sides to claim a draw. (Being Stratego, perhaps five-fold repetition would be better.)

vowles_23

chesscom_badge_468x60_s.gif

#13 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Q1: Yes

We can't have an admin check all the games if people are cheating. This is very unrealistic. The software is the only way to stop chasers.

HmmNess
Posted Image

#14 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,444 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Q1 YES Q2 NO :D

#15 MasterYoda

MasterYoda

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Q1:yes
Q2: no

B)

No! No different. Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned

#16 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

After playing this game for awhile since this question came up, I'd like to change my vote to "NO" on the second question. Reading other posts and found out what some people do to avoid a loss, the key is to fix the software to avoiding chasing.

#17 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

Q1: YES
Q2: NO

I think putting it in the software is the only way to prevent it. I also come from a chess background, so I chased once early on thinking it was like a perpetual in chess and would simply lead to a draw. I learned it was against the rules and unsportsmanlike, so I did not do it again.
But, if something is illegal, the software should definitely disallow its happening.

I have quit the site until the cheating players are dealt with.

#18 bboys2012

bboys2012

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Q_no
Q_no

#19 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

k guys,

This section is for voting only. To remove some clutter, I have decided to remove all posts that have nothing to do with the vote for this anti chase system.

Please start a new topic if you wish to debate about chasing.

Thanks
HmmNess
Posted Image

#20 surfohio

surfohio

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I vote

q1: No
q2: No

q1: so called "Chasing" is not prohibited in the official rules, and your solution while creative needs to consider all potential sitiuations, such as allowing a lesser piece to push a greater piece.

q2: There is no need to remove this official rule.

Feel free to delete my other voting post which had more questions and opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users