Tzo

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Probably reported before in some other words, but I will address it again.

Story

My oponent has the edge. 3 to 0      (i.e. 3 pieces of greater value*)

Instead of trying to frame my pieces one by one, he corners with each one of them, 3 pieces of mine.
He keeps threatening my pieces one after the other, in a circular way, so that the left-right rule, doesnt apply. Resulting in an infinite loop.

I am explaining to him, that if he doesnt want to attack properly, he should tie.
He repplies, that if he did that, he would lose his strategic positioning, which he actually did have, and asking me for either a surrender, or a free three-pieces-kill.

I reply that this does not sound fair and that since he has the edge, he should be attacking and me deffending. This did not sound as a plaussible way to continue the game for him. And I was not willing to surrender due to boredom.

I kept on explaining multiple examples where a tie should be offered or forced.

• General against marshall in an infinite chasing loop,
  • or 2 random pieces against a scout
  • or generaly 2 random pieces in a non framable position

And so it begun...
We were both stubborn enough, to keep this loop for more than an hour. And I was preparing for a long long night.

Thankfully, we did not start a flame war, but started talking about random stuff, stuff like were do we live where do we work, how much do we earn, and frankly I liked that guy.
But still none accepted what the other wanted or offered.
It sounds schizophrenic, doesnt it? 

Finally I ended up being more stubborn than him, or his gf knocked the door, or god intervened, doesnt really matter, and he changed his strategy.

The game continued, and I got lucky enough to win the game.

I think, due to the fact that he didnt say goodbye, that he was mad enough, to not let his stubborness fade the next time he faces the same problem with another player.

I am addressing this to the community, to propose ways to stop this phenomenon.

• Either a universal clock
  • or a number of no actual attacks made, big enough, after which the game automatically ties
  • or straight in the game's programming, if not too complicated, to track loops on multiple pieces.

Thank you.
Tzo

• maxroelofs likes this

#2 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Tzo,

I agree with most of what you wrote (two random pieces does not always tie with a scout, though). 

Unfortunately, at this time the programming does not enable a way to prevent what you described. It has bothered me, too. Perhaps in the future this may be addressed. There isn't the bandwidth to solve it immediately, though.

-LTG

How can I help you?

#3 Tzo

Tzo

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

two random pieces does not always tie with a scout, though

You are speaking the truth, but still the precise mathematical analysis is not really the point. You get what I mean.

I 've read some posts regarding similar issues and I see that there is a debate on whether should we interfere with the game's original rules or not.

There are opinions on both sides, that I respect, hence the only idea that comes in my mind and could potentially be accepted by both sides, is the following.

Implementing a timer.
A timer long enough, that will not interfere with the game by creating preassure, but will create a psychological factor in situations like this.

To put things straight, from my experience, the average good-long game lasts no more than 30-45 minutes. I can imagine that highly skilled players might need more than that. So lets double it. Lets assume they need 1 hour and a half.
(Feel free to state the oposite if true)

By setting for example a 2 hour timer, you basically dont interfere with the game, since its long enough for the most sophisticated and well planned game to take place.

What it actually does is creating an argument in favor of the people that are stuck in a situation as described above.
Imagine the same dialogue with my fellow opponent I presented above, although in this scenario, I could only use the following sentence:

"ok no problem, lets waste 2 hours. Then its my way"

The tie way. If you cant beat me, tie me.

‚ÄčIts a well defined, solid, impossible to counter argument.

Which at first glance is no big deal, but subconsciously it creates an unwritten rule that none can reject.

In a more poetic way, its like "death". Whether you believe in it or not, its gonna happen.
No more need for logical example presentations, no flames, no infinite loops.

Even the stubbornest of all players would pretty much understand it and accept it after a few minutes of denial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users