Photo

Idea for next tournament, what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

The Stratego Champions League is, without doubt, a fantastic idea. It seems logical to start a Silver- and Bronze Champions league according to the current rankings (Silver rankings and Bronze rankings). I suggest 32 players for both leagues. Two leagues with 8 pools. Each pool consists four users. Personally I think the most honest/fair way to join the leagues after registration will be according to the rankings (50% of the registered people) and the other half will be qualified. In real-life tourneys we used to get a tourney with participants as strong as possible, hence my ranking suggestion. On the other hand I think the tourney must be available for everyone, hence my qualification suggestion. Duration of both leagues from start to end: 4-6 months.

Explanation:

Suppose there are 300 people to sign up for the Champions League tournaments. According to the ranking standings you can already determine which participants will be put in the Silver or Bronze Champions League. The rankings determine the top 16 players who have signed up. The top 16 players of the Silver rankings are automatically qualified for the Silver Champions League. The top 16 players of the Bronze rankings are automatically qualified for the Bronze Champions League.

The other people who are not placed directly can enter through qualifications. People with a Silver ranking fight among themselves who will get the remaining 16 places for the Silver Champions League. The same principle for the Bronze Champions League. Those qualifications the line "best of three" strikes me as a good application.

Tourney rules:

To rule out the luck factor as much as possible 6 games each player in the pool phase seems to me the best possibility. Two points for a win, one for a draw and zero for a loss. So you get fair final positions in the group stages. Thus, each participant in a group (4 participants per group) may play 6 games. So everyone can play each other two times. The top two players after 6 games go through the next round (1/8 finals).  From this point (after the pools) you have to deal with a knock-out system. Here is the line ‘best of three’ the best application. This applies to the semi-finals. The final is just one game which determines the winner. If it’s a tie the match will be replayed until there is a winner.

About international country tournaments:

I think starting national federations is a good idea. Everyone with the same nationality should be free to sign in with his national federation. A national team (if we play ‘team’ tourneys)  can consist of 4 users. It would be nice to organize a World Cup.  A World Cup should be an annual event along with the Champions Leagues. Still I don’t know how to organize such a World Cup. That will be more difficult to achieve than the Champions Leagues.

Squidward Tentacles. 

i agree Squidward Tentacles

Posted 2 weeks ago

The Dekaeneas-Spy proposes: Champions League Stratego

The next tournament, it should be a great event that will brings out best players every year.
I agree with Trickz that will be playing 32 players sectioned into 8 groups of 4 players.

you can register by captains and above.

Stated if players are say 48 will qualify the first 16 in the ranking and the remaining 32 will be playing qualifying round to enter in groups of champions league stratego. The qualification shall be judged in 3 games.

The 8 group will include two of the best players on the 16th (rank) in each group, and two players from the qualifying.

Each player in the Group will make 6(six) games and the score will be 2-1-0 (W-D-L). In case of a tie we will have Play off matches between the two.
After the groups until the final, the winner will comes out of a game with his opponent.

There will be 9 coordinator tournaments, each one will undertake a group to oversee and coordinate the games of players. The coordinator should not be located as a player in the group will be moderator.

One coordinator will assume the role of head to write on the front panel, results of games and programs champions league STRATEGO.

The rules of this Great events will be decided by the coordinators CL Stratego.

The event will start the new year and will run for 4 months.

Each Game Day (6 total) will be made ​​within 10 days (time and date to be decided by players between them).

Τhe winner and 3 next players, will participate in the next tournament without qualifying matches. (if there are prizes and gifts-even better).

Dekaeneas-Spy

#22 The Maestro

The Maestro

Major

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

So the final is also just one game?

That point thing in the groups is not going to work because unlike in football you can not get all the people in the final groups-round to play at the exact time, so that will cause numerous problems, that can all be avoided by dropping the draw....  

Also 6 games may be too much in the groups round, you are probably better off putting 3 people in a group and make them meet eachother twice (4 games for each player in the first round). That way all (or at least most) players are likely to be in the running to win the group so they will still show up and go all out for it. If there are 6 matches per group, after bad results in the first 3 or 4 games people may drop out, don't show up or drop matches....no fun there.

With 3 people per group 48 people can participate in the tourney itself, there will be 16 groups with only the groupswinners qualifying. It safes a bunch of time, will be a lot more fair and won't have the backdoor possibility, meaning I was in a group and came in second, still go to the next round and in the end win it all. Stratego is a game about winning, not draws or qualifying as second best. There needs to be an undisputed winner at the end, not someone who lost 2 games in the group to the groupwinner. That person can never be undisputed.

Keeping things simple is the solution when organising big projects like this.

What do you think?

#23 Squidward Tentacles

Squidward Tentacles

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

About Stratego Champions League

According my experience the best way to organize this event is the following plan:

After a 3-4 weeks sign up period we accept 48 players .

If number of sign up is bigger we take the first 16 according their ranking and the rest 32 according sign up time.

Groups will be 8 (4 participants per group)

The first 16 qualify to groups without game.

The rest 16  who are not placed directly will enter through qualifications.

The remaining 32 players will be clasified according their rate from no 1 to no 32.

Pairs will be 1-32, 2-31, 3-30, etc.

Qualifications games will be best of 3.

Qroups period : 6 weeks

Each player gives 6 games ( twice with the other 3) 

Three points for a win, one for a draw and zero for a loss.( I say 3 points for win to avoid cases like The Maestro mentioned above (Two people can decide to have a draw and both go to next round while the third person is out)

Players can arrange their games whenever they want but this must be in the first 5 weeks. Last week will be for games which will be arranged from T.C. ( in cases that some players can not arrange their games by themselfs)

Phase 1/8:  16 players ( the 2 best from each group)

Pairing is random between the first and the seconds from the groups. 

Phase 1/4:   8 players. These players will be clasified according their rate from no 1 to no 8.

Pairing is 1-8, 2-7,etc

Phase  1/2:   4 players. These players will be clasified according their rate from no 1 to no 4.

Pairing is 1-4, 2-3.

Winners go to the big final. Losers go to a game for third place.

All the games from 1/8 until finals are single knock- out games.

Total event duration 3 months.

Seems pretty good. Still I'm missing the Silver- and Bronze Champions League. Maybe it's not easy to organise, but I think it will be more fun. A question: what is the duration of the qualifying period? 

#24 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

KARAISKAKIS:Three points for a win, one for a draw and zero for a loss.( I say 3 points for win to avoid cases like The Maestro mentioned above (Two people can decide to have a draw and both go to next round while the third person is out)

Players can arrange their games whenever they want but this must be in the first 5 weeks. Last week will be for games which will be arranged from T.C. ( in cases that some players can not arrange their games by themselfs)

simply a labeling

Dekaeneas-Spy:3-1-0 is better than the 2-1-0 that I suggested but if you want two PLAYERS agree to a game need not be a draw, may be a victory.if players want to do this can not Scoring Neither system can prevent that.For this reason they can not treat it phenomenon and the football my friend Maestro.    

I AGREE my friend Gregory  in anything you write for the Champions League.

with a change here in this piece however:

KARAISKAKIS:Players can arrange their games whenever they want but this must be in the first 5 weeks. Last week will be for games which will be arranged from T.C. ( in cases that some players can not arrange their games by themselfs)

Dekaeneas-Spy:   Define program matches

example:     1st Game Day (definition games in 7 days)   KARAISKAKIS-Dekaeneas-Spy  and  TRICKZ-The Maestro  

2st Game Day (definition games in 7 days)   Dekaeneas-Spy -TRICKZ  and   The Maestro-KARAISKAKIS

3st Game Day (definition games in 7 days)   Dekaeneas-Spy -The Maestro   and   TRICKZ-KARAISKAKIS

4st Game Day (definition games in 7 days)   KARAISKAKIS-Dekaeneas-Spy  and  TRICKZ-The Maestro 

5st Game Day (definition games in 7 days)   Dekaeneas-Spy -TRICKZ  and   The Maestro-KARAISKAKIS

6st Game Day (definition games in 7 days)   Dekaeneas-Spy -The Maestro   and   TRICKZ-KARAISKAKIS

If players do not agree on some day and time to do the tournament committee.
To state the day and time, within the next three(3) days. If someone is not can play, he loses the game.

60 days for group matches instead of 42 days.So they can not easily be agreed matches.

Dekaeneas-Spy

#25 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hallo stratego funs

All this time I have read your posts in this topic and also your opinion through private messages or live chat with some of you.

I am very glad that many players show particular interest for further organization of online tournaments.

As far as our first event comes to end we are looking for the next event and this idea for a Champions League looks very attractive and very close to what i am thinking about.

Also my opinion is that we must start thinking about organized as much as possible all this human potential which has this site in stratego lovers, according their nationality.

This will give us the ability to have in future some sort of national teams and also better control for aliases and preventing cheating.

Which is my proposal?

Creation of online stratego federations(OSF)

Each country has the opportunity to create its own federation.

It needs at least 3 members who will be the responsible to write new members and have all the necessary informations about them(name, e-mail, telephone number etc.)

If somebody want to participate in tournaments must be member of a federation.

We can create also a federation for members who cann"t join elsewhere and call it REST WORLD OSF.

First 5 federations ( in total number of members ) will have the opportunity to have a member in the T.C. and each year this member could be different.

All the federations must create a 4 member national team ( through a local tournament or according the ranking position) and every year we will organize a national team cup.

This event with the Champions League will be the two annual tournaments in our site.

I am waiting your opinion and also volunteers for federations.

KARAISKAKIS

very good idea, my friend Gregory
The person responsible for each FEDERATION to request: name, surname, email, and telephone rightly you said, but the phone can not be published in the internet.

Dekaeneas-Spy

#26 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

So the final is also just one game?

That point thing in the groups is not going to work because unlike in football you can not get all the people in the final groups-round to play at the exact time, so that will cause numerous problems, that can all be avoided by dropping the draw....  

Also 6 games may be too much in the groups round, you are probably better off putting 3 people in a group and make them meet eachother twice (4 games for each player in the first round). That way all (or at least most) players are likely to be in the running to win the group so they will still show up and go all out for it. If there are 6 matches per group, after bad results in the first 3 or 4 games people may drop out, don't show up or drop matches....no fun there.

With 3 people per group 48 people can participate in the tourney itself, there will be 16 groups with only the groupswinners qualifying. It safes a bunch of time, will be a lot more fair and won't have the backdoor possibility, meaning I was in a group and came in second, still go to the next round and in the end win it all. Stratego is a game about winning, not draws or qualifying as second best. There needs to be an undisputed winner at the end, not someone who lost 2 games in the group to the groupwinner. That person can never be undisputed.

Keeping things simple is the solution when organising big projects like this.

What do you think?

Dear Maestro

the champions league in football is for many years a successful organization. the system of 8 groups with 4 teams are the best and most tried and tested. 16 groups are many will lose the ball.

Any player indifferent to match play will forfeit the game and will be banned from the next 3 Champion League.

Dekeaneas-Spy

#27 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Hi everybody,

Fully agree with goal to setup a Championship based on nationality possibly on the model of FIFA world cup starting with 8 groups of 4 players and giving 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw and 0 point for a loss (unless we find a solution to create a tie break rule in order to avoide any draw, like in tennis, so outcome of a match can only be win or lose)

But the big real challenge to set up an International Stratego Championship online is first to list and identify what are the differences between online playing and face to face playing on board game. Just a few examples to illustrate that it will be a long way to reach a good viable solution (but if we all work on it and bring good ideas I'm pretty sure we will find a solution):

Example 1: I convinced a friend of mine to open his account on stratego but, even though he is from Switzerland like me, his account came up with a USA flag. So it seems that the flag linked with a player on this website is not necessarily the one corresponding to his real nationality. And then what to do if for example a dutch player is living in Australia, does he play for Holland or for Australia?

I agree with Karaiskakis that the real nationality shall be given by the fact that the online player shall be first registered in a national federation where some national stratego leader shall be keeping trace and records (outside internet) for all players who want to defend the color of that country (even if they live in another country) with names, address, phone, IP and of course their tournament player's name on stratego.com etc... This national leader shall be in degree to verify that there is always a different person behind each player's name and transmit the list of players of his country to the TC. TC shall be then in degre to verify that each national leader is doing the job correctly. (this will be difficult to implement because this requires human resources and time and soon or later when the number of national players becomes high you may need full time people to manage it who will need to be paid etc...). But to start you basically need only some motivated and passionned people from each country ready to do this for free as a hobby.

Example 2: Online you can never avoide that behind a player's name you could in fact have a group of people who might play in team. Hidden behind their screen players could also take notes or find tips to keep in memory all moved pieces. So this kind of thing (which would not be possible in a face to face board game) should be recognized and accepted by the rules

Example 3: Online you can also never be sure that 2 different players are not in fact the same person. for example you could imagine a student who has his computer at home with IP address 1 and who uses also sometimes the computer of his school with IP address 2 and a different player's name.

there are probably much more other examples like this that should be identified.

The second challenge is then to create the rules applicable for the tournament which integrate a solution for the above listed examples and that should be verified by a legal person to ensure the text is not ambiguous and is respectful of international laws.

then you have other challenges like what happens if you have more than 32 players interested to participate to the tournament? how shall prequalification be organized?

Then I would recommend to let more time to players to organize their match Schedule. Tournament will go slower but most people are not necessarily available at suitable time during a week (2 weeks maybe better). Then to coordinate the schedules I would recommend to use a tool like doodle which may facilitate arrangements between players (http://doodle.com/)

but for doing all that you first need a well defined team of volunteers with clear tasks and objectives. ANd to get that somewhat structured the idea of the Online Stratego Federation sounds to me to be a good starting point. So Karaiskakis what do you think should be the next step and who should do what?

Do you already have a candidate to be country leader for Switzerland?

Napoleon Ier

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#28 The Maestro

The Maestro

Major

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

Where do I start?

There is already a lot of discussion about rules, groups, points., best of 3 etc. It is very nice to see how passionately people write about those things. BUT...Before there can ANY discussion about rules, groups, points., best of 3 or whatever first you ALL have to think about the basics. 

Organising events is a profession by itself, you need professionals. Some of you want a stratego tourney like the (football) CL. That is ok with me but then you must also accept what's behind that and comes with it. 

Before the CL was invented there was a Europe Cup 1 (only for the champions of each country, so every country could only have 1 entrant, although a defending champion was later added). Did this sytem work? Yes it did perfectly. It was way easier to organise, it was fair (as there were only CHAMPIONS in it instead of let's say the top 4 teams of certain countries) and it was all knockout games. So why did it change? 

One simple reason: money. When you put in a Groups phase you have a lot more matches that you can sell for TV. The more matches the better. Does it mean that in the end you have a more deserving winner. NO. Does it make WAY more money. YES! Funny thing is that during the group matches stadiums are hardly sold out and way less fans find these games a "must see", while in the EC1 time with K.O. systems it was the buzz all over town.  The big money is in TV rights, it is for mass-entertainment purposes. People, football is way more business than it is a pure sport. Do I mind? No, being a businessman myself (I have even worked for/with them). But if you don't realise and accept it you are missing out everything. The rules of the game itself is even dictated by this, as seen by many changes (and then later overruling it, Golden Goal, anyone ?).

The moneygame which is called CL is ruled by SUITS - businessmen, notaries and the dreaded lawyers ;-)  . And it has to be,  because you can't let things like that be run by amateurs with personal emotions. Guys, it's business first (and foremost)!

So you want to have a stratego tourney along the lines of the CL? Fine, but then you have to go all the way. Out go all the hardworking passionate people who run things in their free time (which I really admire) and in come the Suits. 5 people like The Maestro running a CL tourney. Is that what you really want? Judging on the last(current) tourney I really don't think so. And you are damn right. This should be a fun thing, no business, so don't model yourself after it. 

And you can't say, we are still going to do it but then in our own amateur way, because as I (and many others) have stated before you can't have things both ways. So either it is a passionately ran tourney by people or you go for the officials/the suits. If you DO want organisations for countries, full addresses, team selections, apppointing candidates for TC, phonenumbers etc, then you automatically bring in the suits. 

So once again I really really want to STRONGLY advise you to keep it simple and stay away from the Suits. It will save a lot of frustration (and a lot of money). And yes, things didn't go perfectly this (current) tourney. I am the first person to underwrite that, but with a little better preparation and at least filtering out personal ties/connections and feelings (and members of the TC not playing in their own tourney), I think we are ready for the future and lots of fun.

#29 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

This is my first post here about this topic and I'd like to chime in on the live event idea.  LearningThisGame had suggested we get a USA event going and I told him that was a great idea.  Like TheMastro also just said on his last post, it takes A LOT of work and A LOT of work to organize an event.  I played in a few live card events for the game of Spades and got to know the Tourney Event Director and we talked on the phone a few times.

He told me first hand how difficult it is to get an event going and have to plan months and even a year ahead at times.  You have to be assured that you can get enough people who will come to the event and be certain they will be there.  You have to find a hotel who will permit you to play there and then hopefully they'll give a group discount for the players who will stay at their hotel during the event.  Then you have to figure the amount of money that can go towards prizes and the money that goes into running the event. This is just the bare basics!

• The Maestro likes this

#30 The Maestro

The Maestro

Major

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Absolutely right Midnight and that is a "local" event and more importantly a live event! We are dealing with an online world, which gives us many advantages (no need to travel, no age restrictions, etc etc) but also some restrictions, mostly the complete control aspect and therefor you can not compare both.

Napoleon 1er has pointed that out as well many times. The 3 examples he gave are all spot on / 100% correct and I can give you some more but these 3 are more than enough to make the point. There is no solution for it either. So, as I have stated in the past all that IS left are clear rules about things we can control. And then people overseeing those rules without ANY prejudice. Hence the requirment of no TC member active in the tourney and TC members not showing personal emotions.

It is a complete illusion you can have complete controle online, so the less complicated you make it the less you have to check. It is a prime example of the KISS principle. 

#31 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

i agree Squidward Tentacles

Posted 2 weeks ago

The Dekaeneas-Spy proposes: Champions League Stratego

With all the respect my friend,.....but I was the first here to propose the Champions League :P

Not that it matters cuz' for the organization of this tournament we're all depending on Karaiskakis and co.

I agree with all the suggestions in fact excapt the privacy issue, that's not necessary for me.

You also don't need to register first in a national online stratego bond,....

Cuz' to be honest,.....apart from the Greeks, America, Holland and maybe Belgium or Germany, I don't see many online bonds poppin' up so all those from elsewhere people would not be able to participate then.

Even if you create a bond for the rest of the world, it would still be delicate cuz' how will you do this with the world cup for instance?

Will you give also 4 or 5 places to members of the rest-of-the-world-bond? Or will they get more people in it because they are probably the biggest bond out there? (That's what I think at least, that it will be the biggest bond then).

We should get as many players as possible and it really doesn't matter how good or bad you are.

Each person has the ability to qualify himself in case his ranking or sign up time was not good enough.

For the rest, the sooner this tournament starts, the better so let's do this! :)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#32 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Καλησπερα σε ολους τους Ελληνες του site.

Προεδρε,αντιπροεδρε,μελη της Ελληνικης ομοσπονδιας stratego καθως και όλοι οι ελληνες παικτες του stratego.com.

Σας ανακοινωνω την προταση μου καθως και καποιες ιδεες οσον αφορα την διεξαγωγη ελληνικου διαδυκτιακου πρωταθληματος μεσω του site stratego.com. Προφανως και θα θελει καποιες διορθωτικες κινησεις αλλα και αλλαγες. Απλα σας μεταφερω τις δικες μου σκεψεις και αν θελετε μπορειτε να γραψετε και οι υπολοιποι ελληνες τις δικες σας προτασεις η αλλαγες πανω στην δικη μου.

Στο ελληνικο διαδυκτιακο πρωταθλημα stratego θα συμμετεχουν ανα κατηγοριες(συμφωνα με την βαθμολογια τους μια ορισμενη τελικη ημερομηνια) 20 παικτες. Οι αγωνιστικες θα ειναι 38(2 αγωνες ολοι οι παικτες μεταξυ τους). Η καθε αγωνιστικη θα διαρκει 1 εβδομαδα(Δευτερα-Κυριακη). Οι παικτες θα οριζουν μεταξυ τους την μερα και ωρα του αγωνα.Δυο ελληνες παικτες θα οριζονται διαιτητες. Οι παικτες αλλα και οι διαιτητες θα δηλωνουν στο forum(ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΟ ΠΡΩΤΑΘΛΗΜΑ STRATEGO) τις Νικες-Ηττες-Ισοπαλιες του καθε παικτη πριν τον αγωνα.Στο τελος του αγωνα οι παικτες θα λενε στους διαιτητες το αποτελεσμα το οποιο θα ανακοινωνετε απο τους διαιτητες(forum).Σε περιπτωση που καποιος παικτης εχει disconnect(ελπιζω μεχρι τοτε οι προγραματιστες του site να λυσουν αυτο το προβλημα) δυστηχως θα χανει τον αγωνα(εκτος αν ο αντιπαλος συμφωνει να γινει επαναληψη). Αν καποιος διαιτητης απουσιαζει ενω εχει οριστει θα πρεπει να το δηλωσει πιο μπροστα ετσι ωστε να αντικατασταθει απο αλλον. Οι διαιτητες με τις περισσοτερες συμμετοχες να επιβραβευονται. Οι πρωτοι 4 στην τελικη βαθμολογια να παιζουν στο παγκοσμιο πρωταθλημα ως εθνικη ομαδα η και μεμονομενα σε περιπτωση που γινει πρωταθλημα στο stratego.com και απο παικτες αλλων χωρων.Ο 5ος και 6ος να ειναι αναπληρωματικοι παικτες. Οι 4 τελευταιοι να πεφτουν κατηγορια και να τους αντικαθιστουν παικτες της κατωτερης κατηγοριας.(Να δημιουργηθει και δευτερη κατηγορια αν ειναι αυτο δυνατο και να ειναι συμφωνα με την καταταξη στο rank εδω μεσα-απο 21 θεση μεχρι 40-). Πιστευω οτι ενα διαδυκτιακο πρωταθλημα stratego με ολες τις δυσκολιες του θα ειναι κατι πρωτοποριακο και πολυ ενδιαφερον για ολους. Θα ανακοινωνεται η βαθμολογια καθε αγωνιστικη καθως και ολο το προγραμα των αγωνων.

Dekaneas-Spy (ODHGOS)

I did not steal your idea ;) , my friend trickz but I wrote my proposal much earlier in GREEK.

It is good that interest in something that we love very much and Congratulations to all.

Dekeaeneas-Spy

#33 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yo Dekaeneas, 

I will reveal it straight,...

I was just joking dude, I know you didn't steal it mate

and I sure hope the Champions League will kick off cuz' this deal is great!  :D

#34 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

With all the respect my friend,.....but I was the first here to propose the Champions League :P

Not that it matters cuz' for the organization of this tournament we're all depending on Karaiskakis and co.

I agree with all the suggestions in fact excapt the privacy issue, that's not necessary for me.

You also don't need to register first in a national online stratego bond,....

Cuz' to be honest,.....apart from the Greeks, America, Holland and maybe Belgium or Germany, I don't see many online bonds poppin' up so all those from elsewhere people would not be able to participate then.

Even if you create a bond for the rest of the world, it would still be delicate cuz' how will you do this with the world cup for instance?

Will you give also 4 or 5 places to members of the rest-of-the-world-bond? Or will they get more people in it because they are probably the biggest bond out there? (That's what I think at least, that it will be the biggest bond then).

We should get as many players as possible and it really doesn't matter how good or bad you are.

Each person has the ability to qualify himself in case his ranking or sign up time was not good enough.

For the rest, the sooner this tournament starts, the better so let's do this! :)

Hallo my friend

Already 2 guys from different countries than these you mentioned above show interest for OSF.

Meaning to have OSF is that unfortunately this is the only way to organise better all this huge potential in players in this site and avoid as much as possible having cheaters and aliases in tournaments.

It is time everybody who wants to participate in such events tell us his name.

I make also this question . If it was to organise a live tournoua would you ask name , e-amail and probably tel. from all the participants? Yes or no? What"s the difference now?

You are from Belgium. Try to find all these guys from same country introduce yourself to them and our community and then you have your federation. After that you can create with your rules your national team. It is so simple.

#35 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hi everybody,

In my language exist the sentence "If you want you can", so if we want a structure able to organize and setup online Stratego Championships we can!

Let's start simple and learn by doing. Weak points identified during first tournament shall be corrected and improved for next one, weak points identified in tournament 2 will be corrected in order to improve tournament 3 etc...

Fact is that with the very simple initiative taken by some volunteers the first online tournament  will not only prove to be feasible but definitely result in a success, so let's move on from one success to the next one, step by step.

Before having ambitions of having Stratego online Championship becoming the World New Number 1 revolutionary attraction with millions of new players registration every day reducing poker and chess to middle age games and Facebook and twitter to big empty virtual spaces, and I hope everybody reading this post will agree with me this should be our joined ultimate goal!!! :D, let's start with some more humble objectives:

First online tournament has got together 32 players from around the world so why not fix the target to have 64 players for the second tournament and no other change to the organization except review of the rules to improve the wordings of those texts which gave raise to some confusion on this forum and try to have 5 TC members not participating themselves to the tournament (for ensuring impartiality). After tournament 2, with 64 players, possibly it will be easier to regroup these players into categories "to be defined" if by country or if  by ranking level (silver/bronze) or if by any  other aspect that might make sense.

Then for tournament 3 we could fix the target to have 128 participants and start having some kind of prequalification system by group of players and possibly also start to look for sponsors who would be ready to finance the first "professional" organizational activities that will need to be done.

If success continues we fix target for tournament 4 at 256 participants and increase in parallel all professional side activities that will need to be done (always with the help of the sponsors) and then move on to 512, 1028 etc... participants. One day, if success continues to grow as expected, it will make full sense to create a company with employees to make it become a real business. ...dreams are my reality says a famous song form the eighties but all great inventions were dreams before they become reality, same will happen here. We have to keep going on, step by step, and make sure that a success is only followed by another success. In this place only positive thinking and success-orientation shall be allowed.

I would also recommend to advertise the next tournament a little bit more than what was done for the first one. One very simple thing could be an announcement on the login page of stratego.com saying something like " Interested in joining next online Stratego Championship? Just go on the forum link on top of this page to read proceedings and get registered"

Napoleon Ier

• Dekaeneas-Spy and maxroelofs like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#36 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• WC Online Team
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

I would also recommend to advertise the next tournament a little bit more than what was done for the first one. One very simple thing could be an announcement on the login page of stratego.com saying something like " Interested in joining next online Stratego Championship? Just go on the forum link on top of this page to read proceedings and get registered"

Napoleon Ier

+1

I talked to quite a few members last tournament, and they don't check forums often, so they had no idea it was even on. A couple of them were more than willing to join, I think as N1er said, it just needs to be advertised.

#37 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

Hallo my friend

Already 2 guys from different countries than these you mentioned above show interest for OSF.

Meaning to have OSF is that unfortunately this is the only way to organise better all this huge potential in players in this site and avoid as much as possible having cheaters and aliases in tournaments.

It is time everybody who wants to participate in such events tell us his name.

I make also this question . If it was to organise a live tournoua would you ask name , e-amail and probably tel. from all the participants? Yes or no? What"s the difference now?

You are from Belgium. Try to find all these guys from same country introduce yourself to them and our community and then you have your federation. After that you can create with your rules your national team. It is so simple.

Yo Karai,

I don't think that the OSF is a bad idea, not at all,...it's maybe the solution.

But every country its own federation? That would be mainly an illusion

cuz' why would you join another club if you're already with the OSF? It's the start of creatin' the confusion!

Okay, that would be too far fetched, me being biased may be the conclusion

but I'd rather see ONE federation where the players will pay a contribution

and all that money will serve for the yearly tournaments so we put the stakes into the movement!  :D

#38 insideman

insideman

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

I would like to play in some tournaments, too. 

• maxroelofs likes this

#39 Squidward Tentacles

Squidward Tentacles

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

I would suggest to organise two big tourneys every year: The Champions League(s) and the World Cup (nationality based). Also some other tournaments can be played like 'the first official tournament' here. 

• KARAISKAKIS and Dekaeneas-Spy like this

#40 insideman

insideman

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

More tournaments = more fun 

• Dekaeneas-Spy likes this