Photo

Idea for next tournament, what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to organize a next event (after this tournament of course) but this time with groups.

We then have the Silver Champions League and the Bronze Champions League.

Each competition has got 32 players with 8 groups of 4.

Those four players in a group will play three matches and the best two will qualify to the knockoutstages.

The winner of the silver cl will play the winner of the bronze cl for the stratego supercup.

Maybe stupid idea,....but I think it would be fun :)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#2 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,213 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

Great idea in my oppinion! Except for the part were you make difference between silver and bronzen.
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#3 JimmyvonderAtlantis

JimmyvonderAtlantis

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

Than I have a idea too. Make than 3 groups. 1 silver, 1 grup bronze captain and up, and one lowered as bronze captain.  B)

#4 kvnvnwelt

kvnvnwelt

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

different groups? thes smells like discrimination!!! i will not take this!!! because i have a dream, that one day bronse miners and silver captains will walk hand in hand!!!. just kidding ofcourse i would love another tournament tho.
  • Strobe likes this

#5 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

The Dekaeneas-Spy proposes: Champions League Stratego

The next tournament, it should be a great event that will brings out best players every year.
I agree with Trickz that will be playing 32 players sectioned into 8 groups of 4 players.

you can register by captains and above.

Stated if players are say 48 will qualify the first 16 in the ranking and the remaining 32 will be playing qualifying round to enter in groups of champions league stratego. The qualification shall be judged in 3 games.

The 8 group will include two of the best players on the 16th (rank) in each group, and two players from the qualifying.

Each player in the Group will make 6(six) games and the score will be 2-1-0 (W-D-L). In case of a tie we will have Play off matches between the two.
After the groups until the final, the winner will comes out of a game with his opponent.

There will be 9 coordinator tournaments, each one will undertake a group to oversee and coordinate the games of players. The coordinator should not be located as a player in the group will be moderator.

One coordinator will assume the role of head to write on the front panel, results of games and programs champions league STRATEGO.

The rules of this Great events will be decided by the coordinators CL Stratego.

The event will start the new year and will run for 4 months.

Each Game Day (6 total) will be made ​​within 10 days (time and date to be decided by players between them).

Τhe winner and 3 next players, will participate in the next tournament without qualifying matches. (if there are prizes and gifts-even better).

Dekaeneas-Spy

• KARAISKAKIS and v.navigator like this

#6 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

Champions League Stratego, that would be awesome!

But not six matches for each player in the groupfase,....no, just three matches for every player and after those matches, you'll get a number one and two in the group and if it's a tie, then there is an extra play off match to decide who goes through as second.

After that it's knockout : 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and final.

There are 64 participants and the 32 highest of them will play the head tournament.

The other 32 (depends on how many registrations of course) will play a qualification against other non-placed players.

If there's not enough interest in this tournament, then we can do it like Dekaeneas said : 16 fixed and 16 qualifiers.

Yes, let's do this after the current tournament, starting January 2014, the Stratego CL and hopefully it will be a yearly tradition then.

:)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#7 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Trickz 3 games are few in the group. The fewer games the easier we can have tie and it would be good not to caselaw also matches barrage.

Important to begin the effort to for such a big event here in site( thought would be great advertising the CL STRATEGO for the site and can also for sponsorships of site, JUMBO etc..). 

What matters is to begin the effort to for such a big event here in site and we all work together howeve.

Dekaeneas-Spy

#8 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

I like very much the great ideas expressed here above but just one remark: by doing tournament by categories of rankings how do you avoide having a silver player playing with his second account in bronze league just to get more chances to win?

I would propose like in football: make tournamanet by country, brazil is much bigger than Switzerland but when it comes to football mundial both countries are reduced to equal 11 players. SO I believe it can be more fun to have the champion of Holland against the champion of Indonesia and the Swiss champion against the greek one and so on, what do you think? Starting the tournament with some country-based tournaments to identify only the national champions and then step up into the international tournament.

just an idea

Napoleon Ier

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#9 v.navigator

v.navigator

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Very good ideas trickz and dekaeneas spy!
  • Dekaeneas-Spy likes this

#10 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

I like very much the great ideas expressed here above but just one remark: by doing tournament by categories of rankings how do you avoide having a silver player playing with his second account in bronze league just to get more chances to win?

I would propose like in football: make tournamanet by country, brazil is much bigger than Switzerland but when it comes to football mundial both countries are reduced to equal 11 players. SO I believe it can be more fun to have the champion of Holland against the champion of Indonesia and the Swiss champion against the greek one and so on, what do you think? Starting the tournament with some country-based tournaments to identify only the national champions and then step up into the international tournament.

just an idea

Napoleon Ier

Napoleon Ier said:  "player playing with his second account in bronze league just to get more chances to win"

Dekaeneas: this is easily dealt

Napoleon Ier said:Starting the tournament with some country-based tournaments to identify only the national champions and then step up into the international tournament.

Dekaeneas-Spy:a good idea the last bit but it's too difficult to do this.

Dekaeneas-Spy

#11 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

It is a great idea, but

I think we don’t want the participation of only the topplayers, do we?  It must be fun for all on this site which I am enjoying more and more!

Organize the qualification like the Championsleague:

·         16 players are qualified based on their ranking on 1 january 2014

·         32 players play qualification – best of three

The 16 winners  of the qualification go to the Championsleague ‘Silver’  (or whatever you name it)

The 16 losers of the qualification go to the Championsleague ‘Bronze’

The bronze leaugue contains also 32 players. Beside the 16 losers of the qualification there will be 16 other players. Day and time of ‘sign in’ will be decisive for qualification.

Another thing I will mention is:

I know there are players who want to participate in a tournament, but have difficulties with fixed periods where within has to be played. If there are groups of 4 players, give them some freedom to play all their matches within a fixed period (6 weeks?).

It then can occur players play their matches within 4 weeks or less, but that doens’t matter, if they play their matches before the deadline.

Only if matches haven’t been played on the date players have agreed, the TC decides the final date(s) for the match when  the deadline approaches.

A minor change of the rules has to be made to make this possible. Only players who underwrite this rules of organization of the tournament may ‘enter the arena’ (source: ‘King Tubby’). They all do their best to make ‘a great spectacle’ out of it. You would like to be involved, so you give your best shot and you support the organization.

Each group has one topic page with all the players. They arrange their matches on that page and load up a screenshot after the match. Another minor change of the rules is that if there will be played with another account (because problems with the account listed for the tournament) the TC will be informed a.s.a.p. but at least right after the game.

See my post in the topic 'The book of incidents and complaints:

I propose that we make a minor change in the rules:

• In case of impossiblity of connection with the account listed for the tournament, players may use another account to make the match possible. In the challenge zone the players discuss this. The player who uses a different account has the obligation to make a screenshot showing that the opponent agrees with this. The screenshot must be posted in the topic of the match.

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#12 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:08 AM

It is a great idea, but

I think we don’t want the participation of only the topplayers, do we?  It must be fun for all on this site which I am enjoying more and more!

Organize the qualification like the Championsleague:

·         16 players are qualified based on their ranking on 1 january 2014

·         32 players play qualification – best of three

The 16 winners  of the qualification go to the Championsleague ‘Silver’  (or whatever you name it)

The 16 losers of the qualification go to the Championsleague ‘Bronze’

The bronze leaugue contains also 32 players. Beside the 16 losers of the qualification there will be 16 other players. Day and time of ‘sign in’ will be decisive for qualification.

Lucky, two leagues with 32 players each?  This is a total of 64 players in the tourney.  It Is a likeable-sounding number to those of us in the States who follow college basketball.  And maybe it is indeed the number to go for.  But how is this NOT the participation of only the TOP PLAYERS?  There are WAY MORE than 64 people who could play from this site.  64 players would still be the HIGHEST RANKING PLAYERS.  Maybe I missed your meaning here....

GLS

Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#13 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

Lucky,

I agree with almost all in with you, it is good to make two events (CL STRATEGO(MARSHAL) and CL STRATEGO(GENERAL), of 32 players each organization) but we think that will be a little difficult for the organizers (unless many -9- as i wrote).

Dekaeneas-Spy

#14 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

@ GaryLShelton

Quote: But how is this NOT the participation of only the TOP PLAYERS?  There are WAY MORE than 64 people who could play from this site.  64 players would still be the HIGHEST RANKING PLAYERS.  Maybe I missed your meaning here....

Answer:
Perhaps we need to add the rule that the first 64 players (sign up date decisive) start the tournament.
- 16 players with highest ranking are qualified directly for the 'Silverleague'
- 32 players, based on time of enrollment (sign up) are playing for 16 places in 'Silverleague'
There will be 16 players who win qualification, this could be a number of bronze players. They go to the ' Silverleague '

16 losers of qualification (could be bronze and silverplayers) go to 'Bronzeleague'
Another 16 players, also based on date of sign up go also to the 'bronzeleague'
This could be also bronze and silverplayers.

An extra rule could be that the last 16 players have to be bronze. There are lots of bronze captains and higher players in comparison with the number of silvers.

Hope you'll better understand what I mean now. I want a good mix of bronze and silverplayers. I am looking forward to battle you :-)

Lucky

PS:
After yesterdays matches I believe that players who have reached the semi finals of the current tournament must have a protected position for the next tournament ;-)

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#15 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

I followed this tournament but would be interested to participate in next one. However it looks like it's a dutch tournament for dutch people only when I see the 4 semi-finalists. So at this stage there is no fun for the rest of the world. Why not making next tournament by countries? I you start with 64 players you should regroup all players from same country in the first rounds in such a way that at least the 8 quarter finalists will be from 8 different countries.

That would give a real international "world" dimension to the tournament.

Napoleon Ier

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#16 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

Nothing is what it seems....

I analyzed the sign up page and this is what I found. Players of 9 different countries joined the tournament.

Australia 1 Belgium 1 Canada 2 Greece 7 Holland  10*  Indonesia 1 Israel 1 United States 8 Switzerland 1

* Including Kabal. 

• 15 Bronze players
  • 17 Silverplayers

So we are very international yet and have a good balance between Silvers and Bronze. That the tournament turned out in a Dutch party is partly coincidence and partly because a lot of topplayers come from Holland.

Lucky

• v.navigator likes this

#17 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hallo stratego funs

All this time I have read your posts in this topic and also your opinion through private messages or live chat with some of you.

I am very glad that many players show particular interest for further organization of online tournaments.

As far as our first event comes to end we are looking for the next event and this idea for a Champions League looks very attractive and very close to what i am thinking about.

Also my opinion is that we must start thinking about organized as much as possible all this human potential which has this site in stratego lovers, according their nationality.

This will give us the ability to have in future some sort of national teams and also better control for aliases and preventing cheating.

Which is my proposal?

Creation of online stratego federations(OSF)

Each country has the opportunity to create its own federation.

It needs at least 3 members who will be the responsible to write new members and have all the necessary informations about them(name, e-mail, telephone number etc.)

If somebody want to participate in tournaments must be member of a federation.

We can create also a federation for members who cann"t join elsewhere and call it REST WORLD OSF.

First 5 federations ( in total number of members ) will have the opportunity to have a member in the T.C. and each year this member could be different.

All the federations must create a 4 member national team ( through a local tournament or according the ranking position) and every year we will organize a national team cup.

This event with the Champions League will be the two annual tournaments in our site.

I am waiting your opinion and also volunteers for federations.

KARAISKAKIS

• Midnightguy, Dekaeneas-Spy, maxroelofs and 1 other like this

#18 Squidward Tentacles

Squidward Tentacles

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

The Stratego Champions League is, without doubt, a fantastic idea. It seems logical to start a Silver- and Bronze Champions league according to the current rankings (Silver rankings and Bronze rankings). I suggest 32 players for both leagues. Two leagues with 8 pools. Each pool consists four users. Personally I think the most honest/fair way to join the leagues after registration will be according to the rankings (50% of the registered people) and the other half will be qualified. In real-life tourneys we used to get a tourney with participants as strong as possible, hence my ranking suggestion. On the other hand I think the tourney must be available for everyone, hence my qualification suggestion. Duration of both leagues from start to end: 4-6 months.

Explanation:

Suppose there are 300 people to sign up for the Champions League tournaments. According to the ranking standings you can already determine which participants will be put in the Silver or Bronze Champions League. The rankings determine the top 16 players who have signed up. The top 16 players of the Silver rankings are automatically qualified for the Silver Champions League. The top 16 players of the Bronze rankings are automatically qualified for the Bronze Champions League.

The other people who are not placed directly can enter through qualifications. People with a Silver ranking fight among themselves who will get the remaining 16 places for the Silver Champions League. The same principle for the Bronze Champions League. Those qualifications the line "best of three" strikes me as a good application.

Tourney rules:

To rule out the luck factor as much as possible 6 games each player in the pool phase seems to me the best possibility. Two points for a win, one for a draw and zero for a loss. So you get fair final positions in the group stages. Thus, each participant in a group (4 participants per group) may play 6 games. So everyone can play each other two times. The top two players after 6 games go through the next round (1/8 finals).  From this point (after the pools) you have to deal with a knock-out system. Here is the line ‘best of three’ the best application. This applies to the semi-finals. The final is just one game which determines the winner. If it’s a tie the match will be replayed until there is a winner.

About international country tournaments:

I think starting national federations is a good idea. Everyone with the same nationality should be free to sign in with his national federation. A national team (if we play ‘team’ tourneys)  can consist of 4 users. It would be nice to organize a World Cup.  A World Cup should be an annual event along with the Champions Leagues. Still I don’t know how to organize such a World Cup. That will be more difficult to achieve than the Champions Leagues.

Squidward Tentacles. 

• Dekaeneas-Spy and maxroelofs like this

#19 The Maestro

The Maestro

Major

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hello all,

The idea of a championsleague seems nice to me. These CL kind of tourneys should be open to ANYONE, with nationality or being member or whatever federation (like an OSL) not being of ANY importance.

I guess Karaiskakis suggestion is also nice. To have a worldcup based on nationality, with country teams. Also sounds great to me if is not mixed with champions league tourneys. So let's say 2 CL tournemants per year and one World cup with national teams.

But the proposal with the name, email addresses and telephonenumbers I think is a no go. There are way too many privacy issues there. I think it should be sufficient that someone tells the teamcoach they are from their country and they can also check, when in doubt, if he or she speaks the language. That should be enough, don't you think.

We are here in a cyberworld and you can't control all aspects and lots of people don't want to give away too much private info via their PC. And to be honest I think those people are right. Give as little info as possible on the internet is my advise to all people anyway.

• Losermaker likes this

#20 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

About Stratego Champions League

According my experience the best way to organize this event is the following plan:

After a 3-4 weeks sign up period we accept 48 players .

If number of sign up is bigger we take the first 16 according their ranking and the rest 32 according sign up time.

Groups will be 8 (4 participants per group)

The first 16 qualify to groups without game.

The rest 16  who are not placed directly will enter through qualifications.

The remaining 32 players will be clasified according their rate from no 1 to no 32.

Pairs will be 1-32, 2-31, 3-30, etc.

Qualifications games will be best of 3.

Qroups period : 6 weeks

Each player gives 6 games ( twice with the other 3) 

Three points for a win, one for a draw and zero for a loss.( I say 3 points for win to avoid cases like The Maestro mentioned above (Two people can decide to have a draw and both go to next round while the third person is out)

Players can arrange their games whenever they want but this must be in the first 5 weeks. Last week will be for games which will be arranged from T.C. ( in cases that some players can not arrange their games by themselfs)

Phase 1/8:  16 players ( the 2 best from each group)

Pairing is random between the first and the seconds from the groups. 

Phase 1/4:   8 players. These players will be clasified according their rate from no 1 to no 8.

Pairing is 1-8, 2-7,etc

Phase  1/2:   4 players. These players will be clasified according their rate from no 1 to no 4.

Pairing is 1-4, 2-3.

Winners go to the big final. Losers go to a game for third place.

All the games from 1/8 until finals are single knock- out games.

Total event duration 3 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users