Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hello, all,

I presently reside in NYC and wanted to get a sense of how many folks on this site might be interested in live gameplay in, say, Manhattan. 

If there is enough interest (10+ people), I might try to organize a gathering/event.

-LTG

How can I help you?

#2 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

I am in.

p.s. I just need to pay me tickets and hotel.  :D

#3 chefwd76

chefwd76

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

Depending on the time of year I might drive down from Canada if you don't mind a Canadian playing ;)

Let anybody that believe's something is impossible be interrupted by somebody else completing the task, for it is only impossible for those who cannot.

#4 Manning2Cruz

Manning2Cruz

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

i live in Long Island.... if we could get enough and organize a tournament that'd be cool.

#5 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

i live in Long Island.... if we could get enough and organize a tournament that'd be cool.

And make a USA national team to participate in world cup next year in Greece.(IT NEEDS 4 PERSONS)

I remind that it will be at the end of August 2014 and if there is participation from USA hotel and meals are offer from our federation.

#6 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

And make a USA national team to participate in world cup next year in Greece.(IT NEEDS 4 PERSONS)

I remind that it will be at the end of August 2014 and if there is participation from USA hotel and meals are offer from our federation.

That is a very kind offer, Karaiskakis. We'll have to work on ramping up the US presence and appreciation of Stratego, first. =)

How can I help you?

#7 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

Pending on the time of the year, I'd be willing to travel to NYC myself to play in a live event and be a representative for the site.  It'll be good for the game if we can get a number of players and perhaps raise the level of interest towards Stratego here in the USA.  Instead of a 32 or 64 players and lose one match and your out format, there should be a number of matches every player gets to play.

I once went to a live Spades Card game event, and we played 7 matches and if you won at least 4 games you got to be in the playoffs and then it was lose and you are out.  Then their could be a consolation event for the players who didn't get to playoffs but, are willing to anti up for a smaller prize.  

Maybe sometime next late spring or summertime, we could come up with an event.  This would give people plenty of time to make their commitment if they wish to come or not and make plans. 

• morgancapecod likes this

#8 Manning2Cruz

Manning2Cruz

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

stratego tournaments generally are "swiss perfect" system  everyne plays every round...

#9 chefwd76

chefwd76

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

I would travel down from Canada to play lbetween late June - late August

Let anybody that believe's something is impossible be interrupted by somebody else completing the task, for it is only impossible for those who cannot.

#10 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

stratego tournaments generally are "swiss perfect" system  everyne plays every round...

How many matches are played then?  If there is say for example 7 matches...how do you go about figuring out who wins the event?  Goes by number of matches won/points?  

#11 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • 1,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

You get 6 points for each win, 3 for a draw, and 1 for a loss.  This gives a slight disincentive to draw.  Players who win their first game are then matched with others who won, and those who lose their first game next play someone else who lost.  After each round of the tournament, your next opponent is someone who has the same, or very close to the same number of points as you up to that point in the tournament, and you are never matched up with the same opponent twice.  The world championship is a 2-day 10 round event, but with fewer players it would not be necessary to have this many rounds in order to produce a clear winner.  

#12 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Sounds like a good format, so I assume if any ties with top players...then another match for tie breakers.

#13 Manning2Cruz

Manning2Cruz

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

midnight no... it actually then comes down to buch points... which are the total points of your opponents

#14 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

So the tie breaker would go to the player who faced the the players with the better records then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users