BennyFortman

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

I have as many wins as losses and 2 ties, but my ratio is not 50% ? Im assuming the two ties are throwing off the ratio. If so, I think this is wrong - If two marshals are the only pieces remaining and they kill each other in battle... well I think that's pretty awesome! This outcome deserves, at the very least, a neutral score.

-BF

Attached Files

#2 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Draws aren't that rare in quick matches, one side is forced to accept the draw to protect their flag.  Was in one today, but wasn't a two marshall's...just two scouts.

#3 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

I agree with you Benny that a draw should be counted as 0.5 wins, but the site counts draws and losses the same when figuring win percentage.  However, the more important number is your rating, and draws are correctly figured in determining rating points.

#4 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

I think it's pretty normal that you don't hit 50 percent like that.

It's the same thing in European football,....you can win 3 games, lose 3 games en play 3 ties.

After 9 matches you will have 12 points of the 27.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#5 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

I think it's pretty normal that you don't hit 50 percent like that.

It's the same thing in European football,....you can win 3 games, lose 3 games en play 3 ties.

After 9 matches you will have 12 points of the 27.

trickz,

The "problem" here is that you are kind of comparing apples with oranges. What Benny is noting is that the ratio percentage reflects a win percentage off of a base of total games and gives no credit to draws.

Now, one could argue that the similarities between Stratego and chess could motivate a scoring system similar to what chess uses (1 point for a win, 0.5 points for a draw, 0 points for a loss). Given that Stratego is mostly played 1-v-1 with limited - if any - spectator considerations, this chess based scoring system might be intriguing and a more "accurate" reflection of ability (notwithstanding the rating option). 

A system like that sometimes used in soccer (i.e., non-American football) may award 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and 0 points for a loss. This gets to your score of 12 points out of a maximum possible 27 points, or 44.44 % (< 50%). This system (which, by the way, has also been copied in some chess tournaments under what we call "Bilbao rules") is usually used where spectator entertainment is important. The idea is to motivate more competition and desire to win (or take risks to win). It often also works best in tournament settings where each game is not just isolated, but affects your prospects in a greater competition (e.g., moving to later rounds, winning a tournament). 

Given Stratego here is played mostly 1-v-1 in isolated games with no spectators, this Bilbao system is probably not needed or useful. A "traditional" chess scoring system then might be more applicable (debatable).

Either way, perhaps the term "ratio" should be replaced by "win percentage" to be clearer?!

-LTG

How can I help you?

#6 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

I have as many wins as losses and 2 ties, but my ratio is not 50% ? Im assuming the two ties are throwing off the ratio. If so, I think this is wrong - If two marshals are the only pieces remaining and they kill each other in battle... well I think that's pretty awesome! This outcome deserves, at the very least, a neutral score.

-BF

Benny,

It all comes down to what the ratio is meant to represent. In this case, it means win percentage. 

How can I help you?

#7 BennyFortman

BennyFortman

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Benny,

It all comes down to what the ratio is meant to represent. In this case, it means win percentage. 

indeed.

Attached Files

#8 Jens14

Jens14

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

219/440*100=49,77%