Stratomax

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

I've just started to play. Got to say that it's wonderful to encounter and old friend of a game that I haven't played since I was a teenager!

But there's something seriously awry. I keep losing games I'm otherwise winning because the ~!~@#$%^&*~!!! TIME BUFFER keeps running out. Case in point, the game I just lost:

YOUR TIME BUFFER HAS RUN OUT

9:39:51 298 moves

Now, I don't think anyone could credibly accuse me of dawdling if I've made nearly 300 moves in a little less than forty minutes.

The truth is, I don't even know what this time buffer is or the rules by which it operates. Maybe, just maybe, I would think everything was hunky-dory if you'd just take the time to explain how it operates.

Maybe...

I still have my suspicions that this so-called time buffer is getting in the way of good Stratego gameplay and challenging setups that require some thought.

It is my hope that someone on staff will answer this.

Cordially,

Peter Johansson

(aka “Stratomax")

#2 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

HI PETER

You have 15 sec for each move. Every time you move after this 15sec you lose time from your buffer time which is 5 min.When buffer time goes 0 you lose the game.

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

If you lose because your time buffer runs out, then that's your own fault I'm afraid.

You have plenty of time to react each time.

Even a 5 minute buffer as well.  In official ISF tournaments your time to react is much less.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

Peter,

Next time you play, look underneath your name in the top left corner of the game screen. You will see a 0:15 timer for every move. After 15 seconds expire for every turn of yours (ply in chess terms), your buffer of a total of 5 minutes begins to run down. This buffer never replenishes. If at any point in the game your buffer is completely drained / runs out, you lose the game. As long as you move within 15 seconds for each move, you will never lose on time (barring the occasional exception like drained buffers due to connection latency).

If you are a chess player, this is basically like a 5 15 time control, except the 15 is not an additive increment.

How can I help you?

#5 WATB

WATB

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

Let's calculate... With 15 seconds per move, you should at least play 4 moves per minute. In 40 minutes you should have played 160 moves. You've done almost 300 so basically you have been doing about 7 moves per minute which should be well within the time limit.

So the only explanation for your buffer running out is if you spend more than 15 seconds on some of the moves. Way more, even...

\/\//\ Wim,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

#6 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Let's calculate... With 15 seconds per move, you should at least play 4 moves per minute. 

It is 30 seconds per move and at least 2 moves per minute if your opponent also is a slow player. When there is also some chasing it will be a very long match..... -_-  

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#7 WATB

WATB

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

It is 30 seconds per move and at least 2 moves per minute if your opponent also is a slow player. When there is also some chasing it will be a very long match..... -_-  

Lucky

Yep.  :)

Thus, either there's a bug in the system or someone is complaining about the fact that he himself is spending too much time for some of his moves. Question is, did he know about the 15-seconds-per-move rule before he got the first answer here?

Still, I can imagine that new players don't know about this rule and thus become confused when they lose because of this buffer. It's not mentioned in the online rules so beginning players are unaware of this. If this rule about time and buffer is explained somewhere, maybe less players will think so slow as they do now...  :blink:

\/\//\ Wim,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users