WATB

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

I've been wondering what would be the strongest piece in the game. You would expect it to be the Marshall but that's not completely true in my opinion. I think Generals are more powerful in the game.

The reason for this is because these strong pieces are meant to use in an offensive way, walking on your opponent's side of the board to take anything that moves. Once you know where your opponent has his Marshall, all you would have to do is avoid that piece and take anything else that moves. Well, until you hit your opponent's General, after which the Colonel becomes the most powerful. 

Why isn't the Marshall more powerful? Simple. When walking around, you will need to avoid your opponent's spy, or lose it. And this spy is a defensive piece, lying in wait until it can capture your Marshall. And your opponent might just lure you to his spy.

-

So once you know where your opponent has his Marshall, you might consider taking his General with yours, after which your General will be able to take anything that moves, as long as it stays away from that opposing Marshall.

Also, when you manage to capture your opponent's Marshall with your spy, don't even hesitate capturing your opponent's General with your Marshall, because it gives you an undefeatable piece called General.

Well, as long as you avoid the bombs. :-)

\/\//\ Wim,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

#2 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• WC Online Team
  • 1,158 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

I have very similar thoughts on this.

Except that I find the Colonels to be the most important/strongest piece.

Firstly, there are two of them, so you can lure with one and attack with the other.

I also find that when you find one of your opponent's Colonels it often can give you a lot of information.

Also, when you manage to capture your opponent's Marshall with your spy, don't even hesitate capturing your opponent's General with your Marshall, because it gives you an undefeatable piece called General.

Well, as long as you avoid the bombs. :-)

I often take the General with the marshal, because sometimes your opponent may be bluffing a piece for the spy, and  if so you get the General for free.

They are just my thoughts on it, others may have others.

Gl with your games,

Losermaker

#3 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

Unless if you know where your opponents Marshal is at early on, your General should not be an attack piece.  Even then if you know your opponents Marshall, moving your General into your opponents zone right away is too obvious or he could be going into a dead zone (too many bombs and/or weaker pieces).  Unless if you see a way to cash in on at least a Captain, you should be seeking out more information of your opponents zone before attacking with a General and most likely running into an exchanges of Generals or having him in a dead zone.  If you don't show your General right away, you still leave doubt in your opponents mind where his Marshal can attack.  Many players especially weaker ones will be quick to assume that the Spy will be near a General.  If he sees your General on the other side of the board, he will be more bold to attack with his Marshal into your zone. 

To me a Captain is a valuable piece to attack and explore with.  It's high enough to take out front row explores also, strong enough to at least make it to the 2nd row to attack.  If you have the lead, the Captain might give you valuable information where it may be safe to plan an attack or not or uncover that Marshal or General you can't find.  That's not to say you should just attack blindly with a Captain, because you gotta detect what you feel is an area worth exploring.  

However, like any rule of thumb or strategy you read about, NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE.  If you follow some strategy or attack, setup, or move pattern all the time, you become predictable and you will find yourself easy to beat.

#4 gkaros

gkaros

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

The strongest piece is the unknown piece. I becomes stronger as the games ends !!!

• Dekaeneas-Spy likes this

#5 george_f1

george_f1

Scout

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

pssss what did he say the person :o ...........

sorry karaiskakis :) everything is over by my side
apo edw kai pera tha koinoume mistika :ph34r:

#6 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yo, the strongest piece is the marsh of course.

So if you like the chargin' sport,

then I suggest you use him in a starting war! ;)

Only one piece can break him down

and a high officer probably guards the door

so detect it with a scout and then haunt for more!

If it's a col or higher, then you know where his spy's at on the army floor

so kill it with a low assisting piece and you marred this whore! :D

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#7 Hielco

Hielco

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

http://img268.images...8/6836/v8r5.png

strongest piece on this board is my captain,its on top of his flag

#8 JimmyvonderAtlantis

JimmyvonderAtlantis

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

I play SWG and that is a game wiht many power pieces. There you can attack wiht your spy 3 offensive pieces. But Stratego is simpler but for me not to play. I can attack or defens with main pieces, SWG I know who ist strongest. That is a Tank pieces called President-marshall, but here I think ad the first time not the general when you do not knowing his Marshall. When you know him than he can be attacked by your Marshall. Than your general often stronger but his marshall is a dangere piece for you general. You can bluf out wiht your colonels and beware you general after the second row. When colonels fals then the majors are the best and so lower pieces. When the game are to the end, than your bombs are stronger. When your opponent has no miners more than you can attack free and do not more defend your flag, these roles are for the bomb as defender. Oke I lose many battles but I know main tackticks but have no luck in the game, and I play better SWG than Stratego. But for me are the majors the best. They can stopped captains and you can blow up your opponents his pieces. Specialy when you and your opponent tierest the best pieces. The majors can blocked the pad from three side and do defensive as ofensive very well when you have all majors on board and you opponent none or 1 or 2.

• Der Toller Jimmy likes this

#9 Der Toller Jimmy

Der Toller Jimmy

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

The marshall in defensive, spy can't attack when marshall even in defensive role. General is the best at ofensive. Only he is attacked by marshall. Colonels are the best at lockup lower ranks but they most played more defensive and little time ofensive when you know the general and or marshall.  :P

#10 JimmyvonderAtlantis

JimmyvonderAtlantis

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

not to much attack with you colonels when you have no information where you opponent bombs are. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users