LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

I'm guessing that's Bronze Captain or higher...

Is the logic in keeping the rank that high to keep the possibility of people trying to cheat/glitch out of the tournament?

I think it's to help ensure that a certain level/quality of play is maintained as a baseline. Where that line should be drawn is, of course, a legitimate point of dispute....

How can I help you?

#22 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

I'm guessing that's Bronze Captain or higher...

Is the logic in keeping the rank that high to keep the possibility of people trying to cheat/glitch out of the tournament?

We chose the ranking of at least a Bronze Captain so, the level of skill would be at least worthy in any match and it has nothing to do with glitching because people of any level from a bronze scout to a silver miner might try to glitch a match.  We will strictly be watching out for anyone who tries to glitch in this game.

I would like to see a 64 person tournament or higher, maybe have a slight buy-in, and open it up.  

We hope to get at least 64 players, but if not we'll have random players who get a bye in the first round.  Being this is a first attempt at a event, we did not want to overreach going beyond 64 players.

Granted, I'm not saying I'm in the top 64 or even the top 640, but I'd love a chance to participate.  Problem is the said cheaters/glitchers could easily ruin enough games that would cost me a chance to make that rank.

Glitches can come at any time, but they are rare.  No one I know or talk to on this site uses glitches as reason why they can't get to the level of play they wish to achieve.    

I mean, let's be realistic here.  There are 2-3 people that are in the best position to win, hands down, and the only way they don't all make it to the semifinals is if they get put H2H against one another.

Anything is possible, odds are indeed likely the finals will have four silver players, but there is a chance a bronze player may upset a silver player.  I took down a silver major a couple weeks ago and that was the first time ever faced someone that high of rating.  Anyone can be beat and that silver player may just run into someone who may have their number that day.   As my father would say "Nothing assured in any game or sport, that's why they still play the game."

This game literally comes down to who gets the best of the exchange, and if you're down one against anyone with any amount of talent, you will lose 99% of the time.  Period.  

Not so.   Not everyone plays for material advantage.  Many of my best wins, came from me being down and learning about my opponents weakness and getting their flag.  Just having the higher pieces never guarantees you a victory, for it takes someone with the skills to be able to still use their advantage and not get reckless at the end.   If you also look at some of the better players on this site, they sacrifice material to find out what they need to know to plan their main attack.

I just don't think it is really doing any good to recruit new people or introduce them to the game when the tournament field is so rigidly limited.

We have over 85,000 registered users on this site, anyone who is a captain or higher is welcomed to join.  The main issue is, not everyone comes to the forum and so they won't know about this event.  This is also the first time we have made an effort to run an event on this site, so perhaps people have doubts of it's success.

If the WSOP main event did something similar, poker would have never experienced the boom that came from Chris Moneymaker entering a sat. tournament by mistake, winning the biggest prize in poker history, and sparked a amateur revolution that led to it going from fields of 300 to fields of 6000 (paying $10000 each).  

This is not a gambling site.  We are here for the fun of the game and the prize is merely to offer the winners battle coins to change their avatars or whatnot.  The main reason here, is to give that person bragging rights to say they won an event with many great players.

Again, if it's just to get things off the ground, I can understand that a little bit.  But if this was to be a trend, then I don't think the game online, as good as it is, with some great, honest players, will ever reach its true potential.

This again is our first effort to run an event online.  If things go well, expect to see more events in the near future.  

Anyway, that is just my .02 cents.  I'm sure everyone will disagree, and that's fine with me. :)

As the Dude from The Big Lebowski would say: "Well..yeah man.. that's like your opinion."   ;) 

• maxroelofs likes this

#23 ima

ima

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

ima new York time

#24 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

1st online Stratego tournament

What: The Online Stratego Tournament:

When: Starting October the 15st 2013

Where: Online Stratego Challenger room lobby

Who: Open to the top 32 players ranked at least a Bronze Captain and the other 32 according the time of sign up who must be also ranked at least a Bronze Captain  at the deadline of sign up.

How: Visit the forum at  http://forum.strateg...view=getnewpost for rules and sign up today ! http://forum.strateg...8-sign-up-page/

Period for sign up: from today  until  4.00 am (GMTtime) October the 1st 2013 

Prizes: 

Winner: 7000 Battle Coins

Loser in Finals: 3000 Battle Coins

Semi Finals losers: 1000 Battle Coins

Necessary requirements for participation: All the players who will participate in the tournament must know how to take screenshots and must have an account in the forum with the name of their participation.

Sponsored by Jumbo Gaming

and the Tournament Committee

(Midnightguy, KARAISKAKIS ,maxroelofs, The Prof and Lt.Jones).

May i propose that one additional rule be that everyone use the default red/blue colors for the pieces? This will eliminate the headaches for garish colors or problems for those of us who are colorblind.

How can I help you?

#25 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

May i propose that one additional rule be that everyone use the default red/blue colors for the pieces? This will eliminate the headaches for garish colors or problems for those of us who are colorblind.

This sounds reasonable. I think that you or everyone who has problems with that can ask it from the opponent during their time arrangement. It is difficult to put it as a rule for everybody because many players have spend battle coins to use these colors and use to play with a certain colour. For colorblinds they can choose the appropriate colour ,red or blue, according their opponents colour, in such a way to distinguish the pieces better.

• LearningThisGame likes this

#26 vohtheia

vohtheia

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

hey karaiskakis i am in

#27 JimmyvonderAtlantis

JimmyvonderAtlantis

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I never play tournement. fot me a dream but reality is I never to go up in rank and captain is for me never to have it as rank. :(  not for me. but wishes another players many luck and the best may win. B)

#28 Lord_AvS

Lord_AvS

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Sorry for showing not up. Haven't been much on late weeks due to time issues and didn't knew i had to play this week.

Nothing's good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users