• 2,615 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

1st online Stratego tournament

What: The Online Stratego Tournament:

When: Starting October the 15st 2013

Where: Online Stratego Challenger room lobby

Who: Open to the top 32 players ranked at least a Bronze Captain and the other 32 according the time of sign up who must be also ranked at least a Bronze Captain  at the deadline of sign up.

How: Visit the forum at  http://forum.strateg...view=getnewpost for rules and sign up today ! http://forum.strateg...8-sign-up-page/

Period for sign up: from today  until  4.00 am (GMTtime) October the 1st 2013 

Prizes: 

Winner: 7000 Battle Coins

Loser in Finals: 3000 Battle Coins

Semi Finals losers: 1000 Battle Coins

Necessary requirements for participation: All the players who will participate in the tournament must know how to take screenshots and must have an account in the forum with the name of their participation.

Sponsored by Jumbo Gaming

and the Tournament Committee

(Midnightguy, KARAISKAKIS ,maxroelofs, The Prof and Lt.Jones).

• KingTubby and Dekaeneas-Spy like this

#2 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hi Stratego fans

The moment that every fan of this game was waiting has come.

Our committee and me personal promised you that we will do our best to make this site a paradise for our favorite sport. Forward this direction we organized the 1st online Stratego tournament in the official site of the game.

It was very difficult to organize such an event in this site because as you know there are a lot of difficulties beginning from the fact that there is no ability to view the games and intervene when something goes wrong. This is the cause that the rules of the tournament are many and very strictly. The key point to have success is first the time arrangement of the games and secondly the fair gaming. And this depends only from your willingness.

Tournament Committee tries his best, it is your turn now.

Lets prove all together that we deserve such events and in the future.

From my side I want to wish gl to everybody who will take part in this event, have a lot of fun and the best be the champion.

ΚΑΡΑΙΣΚΑΚΗΣ

• Dekaeneas-Spy and johannnes like this

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

May the best player win the tournament! ;)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Good luck everyone and have fun here.  Let's make this an event where we can hopefully have more in the future!  

#5 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,207 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

I hope everbody will enjoy the tournament and that it will be a great succes. I wish loads of fun to everybody who joins the tournament and hope the best will win. :)

To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#6 Lord_AvS

Lord_AvS

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Nice to read this, after i left stratego for a while. Will sure play in this tournament!

I'm from the Netherlands and timezone UTC +1. 

Nothing's good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

#7 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm resigning as member of the Tournament Committee.

This because of personal stuff.

But I'm still playing in the tournament of course!  ;)

Good luck to Karaiskakis, The Prof, Max Roelofs and Midnightguy with the further organization.

Greetz

Trickz

#8 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,615 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

I think he wants more free  time to be ready for the battle. ;)

Any way, thanks a lot trickz for your help.  :)

#9 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,207 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

So unfortunate Trickz, well, keep your head up :)

To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#10 The Maestro

The Maestro

Major

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Maybe I missed it, but it is not clear to me if this a round robin tournament, a knockout tournament, a double elimination tournament, best of 3, best of 5 or whatever   ;).

Can somebody please let me know.

Thanks 

#11 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,615 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Maybe I missed it, but it is not clear to me if this a round robin tournament, a knockout tournament, a double elimination tournament, best of 3, best of 5 or whatever   ;).

Can somebody please let me know.

Thanks 

Each round will have random single matches until the final four where ratings will determine who faces who in the best of 3 matches.  The top player will faced the fourth highest ranked player and the second and third ranked player will face one another for the semi finals match. Winners qualify to the big final (games best of 3)

#12 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,615 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'm resigning as member of the Tournament Committee.

This because of personal stuff.

But I'm still playing in the tournament of course!  ;)

Good luck to Karaiskakis, The Prof, Max Roelofs and Midnightguy with the further organization.

Greetz

Trickz

Lt. Jones is the new member of tournament committee and he will replace trickz.

#13 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Each round will have random single matches until the final four where ratings will determine who faces who in the best of 3 matches.  The top player will faced the fourth highest ranked player and the second and third ranked player will face one another for the semi finals match. Winners qualify to the big final (games best of 3)

Karaiskakis,

Just to clarify...I think you mean that the *performance* in the tournament will determine who goes onto best of 3 matches - not the rating, correct? After all, since these are unranked/unrated matches, to do otherwise would be automatically to pick those entrants who have the highest ranking at the time the tournament begins.

-LTG

How can I help you?

#14 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Just, as you know all matches are totally random up until the semi finals.  For all we know it could be Satan and Manning first round facing one another, and incredibly if Manning wins the match, Satan our highest rated player is out in the first round! 

#15 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Just, as you know all matches are totally random up until the semi finals.  For all we know it could be Satan and Manning first round facing one another, and incredibly if Manning wins the match, Satan our highest rated player is out in the first round! 

Oh, so it is single elimination?

How can I help you?

#16 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

For every round until the semi finals, it will be single elimination and match will be total random.  Then it will be the best of three matches and then the ratings they have will determine who faces who in the semi finals best of three.  Hope that clears your confusion there Learning.  

#17 george_f1

george_f1

Scout

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

what i need to join in this tournoament?

sorry karaiskakis :) everything is over by my side
apo edw kai pera tha koinoume mistika :ph34r:

#18 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

You must have at least a Captain rating when we close the event signup.  

#19 joerevs300

joerevs300

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

I'm guessing that's Bronze Captain or higher...

Is the logic in keeping the rank that high to keep the possibility of people trying to cheat/glitch out of the tournament?

I would like to see a 64 person tournament or higher, maybe have a slight buy-in, and open it up.  

Granted, I'm not saying I'm in the top 64 or even the top 640, but I'd love a chance to participate.  Problem is the said cheaters/glitchers could easily ruin enough games that would cost me a chance to make that rank.

I mean, let's be realistic here.  There are 2-3 people that are in the best position to win, hands down, and the only way they don't all make it to the semifinals is if they get put H2H against one another.

This game literally comes down to who gets the best of the exchange, and if you're down one against anyone with any amount of talent, you will lose 99% of the time.  Period.  

I just don't think it is really doing any good to recruit new people or introduce them to the game when the tournament field is so rigidly limited.

If the WSOP main event did something similar, poker would have never experienced the boom that came from Chris Moneymaker entering a sat. tournament by mistake, winning the biggest prize in poker history, and sparked a amateur revolution that led to it going from fields of 300 to fields of 6000 (paying $10000 each).  

Again, if it's just to get things off the ground, I can understand that a little bit.  But if this was to be a trend, then I don't think the game online, as good as it is, with some great, honest players, will ever reach its true potential.

Anyway, that is just my .02 cents.  I'm sure everyone will disagree, and that's fine with me. :)

#20 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

I'm guessing that's Bronze Captain or higher...

Is the logic in keeping the rank that high to keep the possibility of people trying to cheat/glitch out of the tournament?

I would like to see a 64 person tournament or higher, maybe have a slight buy-in, and open it up.  

Seems that won't be the case and the less people, the higher the rank will be cuz' all the top players wanna play for sure.

You can like this or not but since there are not so many registrated players, it's pretty logic that it's done like this.

Granted, I'm not saying I'm in the top 64 or even the top 640, but I'd love a chance to participate.  Problem is the said cheaters/glitchers could easily ruin enough games that would cost me a chance to make that rank.

This is just bs, sorry.  If you have skills, you will be silver eventually and the potential glitch losses are really minimal compared to the wins you get against fair players with decent skills.

I mean, let's be realistic here.  There are 2-3 people that are in the best position to win, hands down, and the only way they don't all make it to the semifinals is if they get put H2H against one another.

You never know. Everything's possible but it's indeed very likely that the strongest rank players will make it to the final.

That's why the tournament needs competition to possibly prevent that almost certain outcome.

If there are sixhundred tournament players, then practically everybody can participate but that's not the case.

Survival of the strongest, whether you like it or not :)

This game literally comes down to who gets the best of the exchange, and if you're down one against anyone with any amount of talent, you will lose 99% of the time.  Period.  

This is really noobtalk.  I've had games where I was four ranks down and I still won.  I had games where I was four ranks up and still lost.

All depends on position and knowing what's where.

One rank down doesn't say anything actually.  Unless it's the marsh or gen, then it's becoming almost impossible.

But a major and even a colonel can be fixable if you play it good.

If you're a captain up to me in the start and I know four cheap bombs with scouts plus I know your marsh or gen that took my captain,

then for sure I have a huge advantage over you but yet you claim that I would still lose in 99 percent of the cases?

I will win that for sure, very easy in fact.

I just don't think it is really doing any good to recruit new people or introduce them to the game when the tournament field is so rigidly limited.

Well, sorry but it's just logical.  If you want to play tennis on Wimbledon, do you think you'll get a ticket right away?

You have to earn that you know.    Keep on practising, rise up your level and then talk about tournaments.

You learn a whole lot more with that than playing a useless tournament where you will be knocked out after the first round and you probably still didn't learn anything.

If the WSOP main event did something similar, poker would have never experienced the boom that came from Chris Moneymaker entering a sat. tournament by mistake, winning the biggest prize in poker history, and sparked a amateur revolution that led to it going from fields of 300 to fields of 6000 (paying $10000 each).  

Why do you compare professional pokerplayers with Stratego loving players?

There are no Stratego professionals (you can't make money with this game) although there are comparable skills involved.

Besides that, as long as you have money you can enter the WSOP, doesn't matter where you're from, who you are, if you ever pokered at all.

Each year celebrities and all kinds of sportsmen enter the tournament,...just for the fun, the kick, excitement, see how they play against the pro's and stuff....

Here it's a complete reversal....as long as you have "skills" (I wouldn't call a bronze captain skilled but maybe he could become that one day), you can enter the tournament.  And the minimum ranking of a bronze captain is really not such a high condition to enter.

Again, if it's just to get things off the ground, I can understand that a little bit.  But if this was to be a trend, then I don't think the game online, as good as it is, with some great, honest players, will ever reach its true potential.

Anyway, that is just my .02 cents.  I'm sure everyone will disagree, and that's fine with me. :)

And if you can't play with the sharks, then you gotta play in 1/2 cent rooms with the fish.

The same for this game : .....except ...there's no tournament for dummies :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users