Photo

The Opponent Has Just Surrendered -22 Points?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Manning2Cruz

Manning2Cruz

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

So I haven't had problems in a while here and 24 hours ago I was at 958....

In the last 24 hours, 10 moves in JustinHayward draw glitches me and I hit decline and lose -22, I miss 2 games because I forgot I was looking for a game -19 and -25.... Finally this happens...

I just crush Devin.Fischer16 and the opponent surrenders and I get -22 points??

How does this work opponent surrenders and then boom I lose 22 points??? huh.... we were talking he gave up and I lose 22???

#2 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Was Devin way below you in ranking? If so, then maybe the ELO problem is still there where the formula would only give you a loss eve in a win (given the discrepancy in rating). In that situation, if indeed the case, the computers should never have matched you two together. 

How can I help you?

#3 Hielco

Hielco

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

3 days a go i lost 24 point when i didnt even started to make my setup.it was my own fault,i clicked on a button on my mouse, and switched sites.when i came back i lost. it hurds like hell.

#4 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Was Devin way below you in ranking? If so, then maybe the ELO problem is still there where the formula would only give you a loss eve in a win (given the discrepancy in rating). In that situation, if indeed the case, the computers should never have matched you two together. 

The ELO formula never subtracts points for a win.  The worst you can get for a win is 0 points, and that's if your opponent has a rating at least 677 points lower than yours. 

I feel for you Satan, at your level it's probably going to take you at least 10 wins in a row to make up for that stray mouse click.

#5 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Prof, I doubt that is true.

I had 731 and I faced a bronze captain.  I only got one point for the win.

If i face a bronze spy who's got at least 100,.......then according to you I still would get points for it cuz' he's only 631 points below me.

But if you know I only got ONE point against a captain, then it would be weird that I get a point against a bronze spy.

I'm pretty sure that that spy will give me one point as well.  There seems to be no difference between a captain and a spy if I win the game. 

I never had a match where I didn't gain points when I won the game.  Every ranked match is for points. Or someone will lose them, someone will gain them.  Only when you have plusminus the same rating, then both players won't gain points if it's a tie.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#6 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

You get 1 point for a win if the opponent is rated between 478 and 676 points less than you.  Bronze Captain has a rating range of 225 to 279.  The difference between your 731 and a low-end bronze captain, as well as between you and a bronze spy, falls into the 1 point range.  The reason you never had a win in which you didn't gain points is that for this you'd need a rating of at least 777 and play against a 100 bronze spy (or some other matchup with a difference of 677 or more)  For more explanation of how the rating system works, you may refer to the posts in the link below:

http://forum.strateg...ined/#entry4995

#7 WATB

WATB

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

The ELO system keeps the amounts of points balanced, so if you gain a point, your opponent will lose one. Thus, if you lost 22 points from winning a game, your opponent would have gained those 22 points! That would be very, very incorrect! So, basically you should never lose points when winning.

However, if the game ends in a tie, the stronger player will often lose points while the weaker player will win some. This could cost 22 points indeed if the strength difference is big.

The formula that determines the amount of points is based on the rating difference between both players, plus a rating disparity that determines how fast you gain or lose points. This will result in a value between 0 and 1 which is multiplied by an 'importance' factor. (I guess 24 or 32 for Stratego.) You will never win or lose more points than this factor. 

The result is that the system stays well-balanced. Losing from a much stronger player isn't that bad and winning from them would gain a lot. Thus, the system needs to match players of similar strengths, otherwise the stronger players don't have much to gain from winning.

\/\//\ Wim,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

#8 JimmyvonderAtlantis

JimmyvonderAtlantis

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

mmm for me is the fun. I think not about the points maybe later when I higher in rank, for me is that more formal than I think about it. but it is true, the strongest players are lower raise up when they play to a weaker player. for me is more to win than to lose when I play to a stronger player. I do never accept tie, than I lose better than I do accept tie. tie most to go verbidden when just the strongest players lose more points to a weaker player. when you play to me, no panik, I do never ask tie. tie ask is for weakest players they wan't to lose the game but I think these players lose more than a game. good luck everybody and may the best win.  ;)

#9 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

you all know the software sucks, and instead of fixing things they put the social gestapo in charge of running the hooligans on this site. you know the gestapo works best at the home nation of the gestapo. So lets move 100 good users transatlantic.

Why waste your breath. It is ridicoulous that example Satan where before setup occurs you cant browse your profile or look at the forum link and click on it without leaving a game about to happen. it is ludicrous to lose points before a game starts. There are 10000 players on line daily you should be able to leave a game before it starts it wont hurt the competitive balance.

edited out last comment for fear of repurcussion

#10 ICanMakeUFamous

ICanMakeUFamous

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

crazy player is a cheater. he keeps asking for a tie and a break. After all that i get booted off.

#11 dutchkillers

dutchkillers

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

nexst time make screen shots icanmakeufamous but i tought he whas out all ready i made screen shot so it seprice me he is still in 

First lesson dutch wins second lesson first learn lesson one.dutch the warrior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users