Photo

Could inexperienced players have their own 40v40 matches?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel Cavity

Colonel Cavity

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Just a thought. Anyone agree?

#2 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

One option is that you could befriend other new players and then challenge them in unranked games for practice.  But if your rating is near 100, then most of the time the system will match you will someone who is also inexperienced, or who has yet to master the basics of the game.   On occasion you will get a strong opponent, but you should look at this as an opportunity to learn how to play better.  In Stratego, you always learn more from your losses than from your wins.

• LearningThisGame likes this

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yo prof,

I don't learn anything about a lottery loss.

But once and a while you meet those robbery foks :)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:22 AM

One option is that you could befriend other new players and then challenge them in unranked games for practice.  But if your rating is near 100, then most of the time the system will match you will someone who is also inexperienced, or who has yet to master the basics of the game.   On occasion you will get a strong opponent, but you should look at this as an opportunity to learn how to play better.  In Stratego, you always learn more from your losses than from your wins.

Goodness knows I've had lots of learning. :)

How can I help you?

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,099 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

Here in Stratego we treat everyone alike, with smart computer matching, and anyone may play anyone else at anytime they are logged in.  There is no preferential treatment for silvers, nor as you point out, Colonel Cavity, any handicap treatment for complete newbies.  Should there be?  

In previous discussions the consensus seemed to be for the smart computer matching as opposed to any "pick and choose" method that might be enacted.  At this time I don't know that anything has changed to warrant changing the situation.  Still, the contacting of other players to play in the challenge room could be improved.  Since these games wouldn't be ranked, all it would take is a large participation in the chat/challenge room devoted to Newbies only--the "Newbies Hold" already exists--and any brand new person who wanted to play at his level could go there and play all the unranked games he wanted.  The current Newbie chat/challenge room is open to anybody at this time, but maybe we could computer enforce that chat room to newbies only.  If we did this, it seems to me this might satisfy your desire for a complete newbie league.  

As I said, I think the system is not perfected with contacting other players on the site, and this seems to be a big problem.  We are seeing that this week with people trying to contact one another to participate in the tournment that is being posted about the forum.  Perhaps if everyone who is new (sub 150, e.g.) were forced to visit the newbie chat/challenge room as part of their sign-in process, there could be a workable number of participants interested in the same you are, Colonel Cavity?

In my opinion, the computer should prevent anyone above 150 from playing in such a room, for example.  Barring a good player starting a new account and wanting to slaughter a few people sadistically, it might be a workable solution, it seems to me.

Just a few thoughts.

Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users