• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,255 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

This has the most hilarious articles, me and my dad had a good laugh :lol:

I'm not sure if they're being serious or not. :D

• Napoleon 1er likes this
I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#522 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,255 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

I must be 12 turning on 20, Gary.

Our current entrance in the Eurovision Songcontest is "Calm down, brother" so I would say for the Dutch in the words of your famous leader: "There's no problem there. Trust me. There isn't."

So we then both must have been so calm we fell asleep yesterday. I'm awake now but still see no respons to my or Queenbee's input. But what else is new? That is what I've been predicting with you, Fairway. You revive a cold topic, but to what use? Just to air out, as a one way street. That's why Queenbee left this topic before too. And I know of over a dozen people more who see it the same way.

I know I was the one to originate it again, after the first ended the same way as this one too. But that was because I felt Religion is very different from Consciousness and therefor I urged to open yet another one of this type. But I already gathered it would've been futile, and it paid out to be indeed. It's really no use to react if you disregard everything anyway. Open your mind. And take this to heart:

"I'm done here"... Pastafari out.

No response to your input? Look again, I already replied. I'll repeat it again: Of course thinking/ideology can change, but that doesn't mean the truth does. 

Ok, I missed that one post and looked it over. Here is my "answer", if you insist: 

Yes, Queen, I see truth as everlasting. I do not believe truth can change. You back up my point with your "50/100.. years ago" point, that's what I said earlier when I said that homosexuality was not accepted 50 years ago now, and then it was. That goes to show that culture cannot dictate what is right and wrong, morals, or truth, because culture changes its mind.

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#523 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Moderators
  • 2,002 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

This has the most hilarious articles, me and my dad had a good laugh :lol:

I'm not sure if they're being serious or not. :D

lol ... yes if I would have been him I would also have gone to bathroom first ... at least take a shower ... can you imagine 3 days without washing yourself! :D  :D  :D

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#524 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:27 AM

What if God had to choose between no life (and thus no good or evil) or life (which brings with it good and evil).

This is a very astute reply.  The simplest and most powerful response to the problem of evil that I’ve seen is that it’s just not possible for God to actualize a world in which free creatures exist and evil doesn’t.  If a person truly has free will then they must be able to freely choose evil regardless of what God might want....and they do.  

Therefore, a God that values free will is an explanation for evil in the world. 

• GaryLShelton, The Prof, Napoleon 1er and 1 other like this

#525 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:29 AM

I stopped having imaginary friends when I was about 8 years old ;)

No more tooth fairy. 

No more santa claus

No more "God"

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 09 September 2017 - 01:29 AM.

#526 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Moderators
  • 2,002 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

No more tooth fairy. 

No more santa claus

No more "God"

i see in your friend list on this forum you have a lot of friends such as Alexander II or Napoleon ek .... are these no imaginary friends? ;)

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#527 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,375 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

The effects of gravity decrease with distance, so the moon exerts more force on the side of the earth closest to it than it does on the center of the earth. This would explain why the ocean is pulled toward the moon, creating a high tide on the near side. The crust of the earth is pulled toward the moon too, but a liquid such as water will deform more than a solid when subject to changes in gravity. The middle of the earth is closer to the moon than the far side of the earth, so it is pulled stronger than the ocean on the far side. This results in the tidal bulge on the far side of the planet.

You know, thinking about this after accidentally running into it again buried in here, I still wonder about this explanation for the tides. If the moon's gravity pulls the water on the near side of the earth, because as you say it "will deform more than a solid", and the core of the earth is also pulled to the moon more than the water on the far side because it is "closer to the moon then the far side of the earth", how does this explain two equally high tides both facing and away from the moon? The water on the far side of the earth is not going to be subject to as strong a pull as the near side, but it will have some movement to the moon. This would mean that the high tide on the far side of the earth is noticeably less high than the high tide on the side of the earth facing the moon. But this is not what we see, is it? Do we see both a strong high tide and a weak high tide every day?
  • Kernel Mustard likes this

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#528 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,375 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

Likewise, being omnipotent may mean that you have the power to do all possible things (but not the impossible), and coupled with omniscience - because you know everything - you may also know all the things that you cannot do.

Nothing is impossible for someone who is omnipotent. That's a non sequitur. It would not take omniscience to know there's nothing an all powerful God could not do.

Maybe God is of the opinion that there is no good or evil.

Two things: When God finishes his creation he sees that it is "good". Then after, when Adam and Eve are in the Garden of Eden God warns them not to eat the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. So I'm pretty sure God does not hold the "opinion that there is no good or evil".

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#529 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,375 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

• God exists.
  • God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent.
  • An omnibenevolent being would want to prevent all evils.
  • An omniscient being knows every way in which evils can come into existence, and knows every way in which those evils could be prevented.
  • An omnipotent being has the power to prevent that evil from coming into existence.
  • A being who knows every way in which an evil can come into existence, who is able to prevent that evil from coming into existence, and who wants to do so, would prevent the existence of that evil.
  • If there exists an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent God, then no evil exists.
  • Evil exists (logical contradiction). "

I would say that #3 is clearly questionable. We do not know what God's reasons are for what he does. We cannot say he would not want evil in the world. We do not know that. Therefore, your final 8th item can't be said to be a contradiction.

#530 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

No more tooth fairy. 

No more santa claus

No more "God"

Well, the Tooth Fairy and Santa are imaginary and easily shown to be. 

God is a different story.

Edited by DarthRemark, 09 September 2017 - 08:45 PM.

#531 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

Nothing is impossible for someone who is omnipotent. That's a non sequitur. It would not take omniscience to know there's nothing an all powerful God could not do.

I think TheOptician is saying that omnipotence doesn’t give God the power to do logically impossible things, like make a square triangle, for example.  Just because language enables us to string words together doesn't mean they make any sense.  This is how the free will defense satisfies the Problem of Evil.  It's not possible for an agent to be free AND unable to choose evil at the same time.   

Edited by DarthRemark, 09 September 2017 - 08:57 PM.

• The Prof likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users