Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:51 PM

This is the new religion thread inspired by QB's Consciousness thread. 

If anyone has any questions about Christianity, or religion in general, I am open to providing my best response.

Gary made an interesting point earlier about the differences between NIV and KJV, and I will just say that you have to be careful what translation you use. John 1:18 for me is the most significant. If you look at all the many translations you will see that many disagree with each other.

• Lonello and zuriels like this

The earth is a flat plane:  https://www.youtube....dLUm8Db&index=2 Psalm 19:4 - 6, Rev 7:1

#2 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,906 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

....and I'm sure in this topic people who wanbt to talk about consciousness are also welcome ... not like in the other topic ... :)

• zuriels likes this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#3 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 888 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

@Kernel Mustard, are you a Christian?

And to all the other forum members: I'd like to take up the discussion again, but let it be in a good harmony together (that counts for me too) and don't judge each other on your belief etc.

• zuriels likes this
First Dutch Champion Juniors 2015

#4 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 978 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:19 PM

Wow I inspired something. Thank you KM and I hope this thread is everything you want it to be.

• Kernel Mustard, Master Mind and zuriels like this

#5 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

@Kernel Mustard, are you a Christian?

Yes, I am! I was raised a Christian, although I didn't always act like it. Four years ago I got really sick, and now I believe it was a testing period for me. I had to really depend on God, because I all but lost the will to live. It really shows you how fragile all of us are, since there are so many things that could go wrong in our bodies.

• zuriels likes this

The earth is a flat plane:  https://www.youtube....dLUm8Db&index=2 Psalm 19:4 - 6, Rev 7:1

#6 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 888 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

Yes, I am! I was raised a Christian, although I didn't always act like it. Four years ago I got really sick, and now I believe it was a testing period for me. I had to really depend on God, because I all but lost the will to live. It really shows you how fragile all of us are, since there are so many things that could go wrong in our bodies.

I'm a dedicated Christian as well, although I'm still quite young. I share your feelings

• Kernel Mustard and zuriels like this

#7 zuriels

zuriels

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hi KM, back In may,  I compounded my right arm. Man I was cranky when they emitted me into triage. I believe that God (Hashem in hebrew) tested me. There's a british soap opera I like, Casualty. The guy on last night's episode had a brain tumor. Doctors can do transplants and stuff like that . but not remove a small brain tumor. I mean it's risky but worth it.  God gave us our souls and bodies. Now it's up to us to care of our bodies, he best we can. I hope you feeling stronger now.

I'm a dedicated Christian as well, although I'm still quite young. I share your feelings

HI MM, I think you know i'm Jewish. I share both your feelings. Look at Adam, a simple test. Refuse the fruit or eat it. He ate it so he failed. 

I kinda lost touch with God. I'm asking him to help me understand why things happen the way they do. I'll add my thoughts on the subject later on today hopefully.

#8 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:52 PM

Hi KM, back In may,  I compounded my right arm. Man I was cranky when they emitted me into triage. I believe that God (Hashem in hebrew) tested me. There's a british soap opera I like, Casualty. The guy on last night's episode had a brain tumor. Doctors can do transplants and stuff like that . but not remove a small brain tumor. I mean it's risky but worth it.  God gave us our souls and bodies. Now it's up to us to care of our bodies, he best we can. I hope you feeling stronger now.

HI MM, I think you know i'm Jewish. I share both your feelings. Look at Adam, a simple test. Refuse the fruit or eat it. He ate it so he failed. 

I kinda lost touch with God. I'm asking him to help me understand why things happen the way they do. I'll add my thoughts on the subject later on today hopefully.

I hope you find your answers zuriels. But I want you to know that the story of Jesus' death (and also his resurrection) agrees with what is written in Isaiah 53. 

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 10 October 2016 - 11:58 PM.

• zuriels likes this

#9 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 978 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

KM and others who clamored for a new religion topic. To have a discussion you need non-believers and none of us wish to play again.

Otherwise you aren't you just singing to the choir?

Edited by queenbee1, 11 October 2016 - 09:59 PM.

• zuriels likes this

#10 zuriels

zuriels

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

I hope you find your answers zuriels. But I want you to know that the story of Jesus' death (and also his resurrection) agrees with what is written in Isaiah 53. 

I do not mean to offend you. But I believe Isaiah was talking about the children of Israel. I hope you find peace and happiness with your search for the truth.

#11 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 978 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

So just to add some spice to the topic I thought this one up.

This is not meant to offend anyone. I simply find defending religion or the lack of belief a waste of time. I know because I wasted a great deal of time in the last one.

Here is a good one to think about. As most American Soldiers are Christian and ISIS is comprised of Muslims who wins God's favor? The MSM and ISIS themselves have made for a good bad guy. They are invisible and it stirs us to fight a war that cannot be won against an enemy that cannot be identified on a field of battle. Can you win a war on Terror? I think that was the whole point of naming it that. The war was never meant to be won. It was meant to last forever. 

George Orwell in 1984 made that quite clear and Donald Trump's "locker room talk" is just another form of News Speak.

Are we fighting a war that cannot be won? Muslims believe they are praying to the same God as the Christians.

#12 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 888 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:18 AM

First, Muslims see Jesus as a great prophet, but not actually as 'God'. Instead, Christians believe that he IS God, but we don't have any good word for 'Allah'. So I think, they don't believe this, and certainly don't have God's favour when doing this, although they think so.

Secondly, I think it is a very hard war to fight: 'the war of terror'. Hillary Clinton said, she won't send ground troops to the Middle-East, but special forces. I agree with not sending ground troops into Syria. When the US holds the power in the air, by means of air planes and bombers etc., we will already prevent a lot. Precision bombarbments and firing rockets from cruisers nearby. NOT like what's going on in Aleppo at the moment. That isn't 'precision', that is destroying a city with hardly any islamic terrorists inside the ruins. And I agree with Trump 'that in fact the city already has fallen'. 

I think the war can be won from our side, but it will cost many lives and money. But how many people are living in horifically conditions over there? Relations between Russia and US are getting harder. Russia has an advanced system of nuclear weapons and is rapidly building up his airforce. Iran is creating huge nuclear weapons as well. But in fact, ISIS hardly hasn't any friends. So I think we should get ISIS first. In about 100 years, ISIS and other terrorist islamic organisations want to conquer the world. I believe this will never happen. NOT because they aren't strong enough, no, because God will prevent that.

Then you have Israel. I love that country, and I love the people who live in there. I have big respect for their thechnology and development. But they see Iran as a bigger danger instead of ISIS. Everything is so hard to understand in the Middle-East. All relations cross each other. Saudi-Arabia supports Israel with helicopters when fighting Iran, but in fact they are enemies. Still, Iran is friended with Hamas, while the Saudis don't like Hamas. Kurds are fighting Turks. Muslims fight muslims. Everything is a mess over there. The US MUST do something about that, whether Trump of Hillary becomes president. We live in a rich, wealthy and quiet world. I think we can be very thankful for that.

• zuriels likes this

#13 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

First, Muslims see Jesus as a great prophet, but not actually as 'God'. Instead, Christians believe that he IS God, but we don't have any good word for 'Allah'. 

Just to clarify, in the Gospels Jesus never directly refers to himself as God, but as God's son. Now that being said, there are scriptures throughout the Bible that indicate that he does hold the title of God. 

See Isaiah 43:10 and Isaiah 9:6, John 14:9-11 and others. (Also note plurality of Genesis 1:26)

While it's a confusing concept, understand that there is some distinction between Jesus and the Father, as we see when Jesus is praying. 

Ty MM interesting for the interesting read.

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 12 October 2016 - 08:10 AM.

• zuriels likes this

#14 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:48 PM

The progression of Christianity from Judaism illustrates how religion has evolved to take on a more universal appeal and individualistic over time. Judaism had an increased focus on morality compared to the religions that preceded it. Judaism is difficult to convert to later in life, has specific rules and rituals, and regards its members, as a special people separate from other groups. However, Christianity replaces circumcision [historically speaking] with baptism for initiation, actively recruits new members, and simplifies being a good person to two main ideas. Additionally, the promise of personal salvation would have been appealing to commoners living simple lives. This appeal makes Christianity the most practiced religion to this day. The advent of the printing press around 1450 allowed for the hierarchy of the Catholic church to be challenged because the Bible could be widely produced allowing for new interpretations. This allowed individuals to interpret the Bible in their own terms instead of having to accept the beliefs of the clergy and papacy. This led to the Protestant movement, which encourages individuals to decide how to apply the Bible to their own lives. This is in stark contrast with archaic Mesopotamian religions where the king or head priest decided how to interpret the religion. In Judaism and Christianity up until the Reformation, an educated, elite priesthood told people what to believe. Religion has transformed from a way to explain the unknown in archaic times to a way to achieve divine reward by living morally.

• Gaius Marius and Gwynplaine like this
3 - 0

#15 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 978 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:41 AM

Does God take sides in wars? Is technology good as long as it is held in the right hands. Who is good and who is bad in wars. Isn't every soldier fighting for what he or she believes is right?

Why Millennials are less religious than older Americans

#16 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:23 AM

While I agree with most of the points you made, I would still come to a different conclusion. I wouldn't say that religion has evolved by any means, but there was a pivot point when Jesus was crucified.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself have always been the greatest commandments. Yet when Jesus fulfilled the law, the many different ceremonies a person had to follow to be an Israelite were no longer necessary, instead we were instructed to believe, and follow Him. 

So perhaps one might say that following God is more appealing now than it was before, but it didn't evolve this way.

What you said about the printing press was interesting. It's hard to imagine a world where the Bible isn't easily accessible.

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 13 October 2016 - 04:24 AM.

• Master Mind likes this

#17 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:26 AM

Additionally, the promise of personal salvation would have been appealing to commoners living simple lives. This appeal makes Christianity the most practiced religion to this day.

This part I would disagree with, though not entirely.

Unless if the power of God wasn't present at the time, I doubt there would've been so many willing to give up their lives. But people were seeing miracles, and these still happen today.

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 13 October 2016 - 04:29 AM.

#18 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:32 AM

Your view that religion has not evolved and began with Judaism (6,000 years ago) is not accepted by most academic theologians.

I am not interested in having a conversation where the Bible is considered literally and to be completely accurate.

However, to argue religion does not evolve is false. Look at the how many different branches of Christianity exist.
  • texaspete09 and Gwynplaine like this
3 - 0

#19 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:36 AM

Does God take sides in wars? Is technology good as long as it is held in the right hands. Who is good and who is bad in wars. Isn't every soldier fighting for what he or she believes is right?

This reminds me of a famous verse in Joshua:

Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in

his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, "Are you for us or for our enemies?"

"Neither," he replied, "but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come." Then Joshua fell facedown

to the ground in reverence, and asked him, "What message does my Lord have for his servant?" (Joshua 5:13-14 niv)

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 13 October 2016 - 04:38 AM.

#20 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:44 AM

I am not interested in having a conversation where the Bible is considered literally and to be completely accurate.

However, to argue religion does not evolve is false. Look at the how many different branches of Christianity exist.

I certainly don't think the whole Bible should be taken literally, as a lot is figurative.

And I wasn't arguing that religions don't evolve,  they certainly do, and many of them are false. But I was arguing that the truth doesn't evolve.

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 13 October 2016 - 04:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users