Athena

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

I used to play Stratego when I was a kid, and I quickly ran out of opponents because I always creamed them and they didn't want to play anymore... Playing with you all, however, has humbled me. I suppose I could pretend it's because I'm out of practice, but really it's just much more challenging to play against people who love the game as much as I do (rather than opponents who just play with me because I nagged and begged them!)

So that brings me to my question... I find myself losing against you all (a lot), and rather than making you chase me around the board to pick up the last few of my pieces, when I'm certain it's just a matter of time, I concede the game and surrender. So I'm wondering how you all feel about this... Is this considered sportsman-like behavior, or would you prefer to chase me around when you've obviously won?

#2 Inverness

Inverness

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

In my opinion, it would be better to surrender. To me, what's the point of continuing a game when there is no chance of winning. I was recently playing a game like this, and all I had were pieces of lesser rank. In that case, I would rather just surrender if they would accept that. Also, if you just quit the game, that never gives them the satisfaction of knowing where your flag is (although that probably wouldn't be considered very sportsman-like either :)

I'm sure many Stratego players are also fans of chess, I know I am. In this case, it is considered good etiquette to surrender when there is no hope of winning.

- Inverness

#3 Zapt0r

Zapt0r

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

I'd also say that you should surrender when you're sure you lost....

no point in dragging it out right?

#4 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Surrendering is the humble thing to do. It is better to surrender and take your beating like a man, than make someone wait out the battle when you both know who has lost the match. I usually surrender when I know I have lost. Some people just out right leave the match, but I always try to put in that extra effort and press the surrender button, your opponent deserves that.
Posted Image

#5 Athena

Athena

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

Some people just out right leave the match, but I always try to put in that extra effort and press the surrender button, your opponent deserves that.

I always type "Well played! I surrender!" or something along those lines in the chat box and then press the surrender button... I really don't want to come across as a sore loser (because I'm not-I just know I've lost). I think it bothers me though because once I press the surrender button, it kicks me out of the room, so I don't really know that my opponent knows I'm surrendering (rather than just exiting the room in a fit, which I consider to be in poor taste). No one has surrendered against me (yet ;) ), so I don't know what my opponent is seeing on their end... Is there some indication that I actually surrendered?

#6 M-D

M-D

Game Developer

• Administrators
  • 124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hi Athena,

I'll talk to the team so see if we can change the immediate leaving of the room when you surrender.

You can see if someone else surrendered in the game over screen (it will say whether your opponent has left or has surrendered).

#7 Athena

Athena

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thanks, M-D. Just so long as my opponent knows I've surrendered rather than just leaving, I'm happy. Although, I think it'd be cool to have a button or option to challenge to a rematch from the game over screen.

#8 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Thats a great idea athena. Having the option to rematch right away would allow you to just setup another game. I also think we should be able to pick which players we choose to play against. A lot of times, i'm forced to play with someone that I know cheats or delays the game. It would be nice to add the option to leave a match before the game has actually started at all. When you are in the setup, or lobby with someone, you should be able to leave without getting a loss.

HmmNess
Posted Image

#9 Athena

Athena

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

I agree... I don't think the game should "start" until you're on the board. I inadvertently took a loss over the weekend because my phone rang while I was setting up my board... I didn't realize then that it'd be a loss, or I would have let my sister go to voicemail. :lol: Anyhoo, I left the room rather than delay the game while I answered the phone.

#10 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm sure many Stratego players are also fans of chess, I know I am.

i don't like chess at all to be honest
to be a really good chess player, you'll need to be einstein or stephen hawking
and memorize more than 1000 ways to open games and react to it

stratego is not like that, it has more to do with poker than with chess
the game is also statistics, maths and having human knowledge but with chess, i have the feeling you need to be a scientist who studies the game for years and years in order to be really top

i've never heard of a kasparov or karpov in the stratego game,....
unless it's Pim Niemeyer perhaps,...

fact is,....in stratego you can always lose due to the position of your army pieces or a little bit of luck
but if you play it well, you can turn the luck factor on your side
i don't think that's possible with chess because it's an open game and stratego is closed
in chess you only need skills, maths and statistics to pull it off, waterproof

in stratego and poker there is always a percentage of luck that you can force in your favour or not
that's the real difference and that's why i don't like chess

stratego rulez :)
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users