Photo

Anti - Chase System - Bug Fix Idea

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Anti-Chase system (Full-Bind increase) (15 member(s) have cast votes)

How many Full-Binds should be allowed?

1. 8 (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. 10 (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. 12 (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

4. 15 (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

5. More than 15 (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

The 2 square rule will stay in game, I know that for sure.  The 2 square rule is really needed for players that are trying to run away all day.  It slows down game play in my opinion.

Im not too worried about the Red Card being your last warning.  In soccer, a Red card means you are gone.  So, having a red card in here while booting you out and giving you a loss sounds good to me.

The problem with a chase limit is that it might catch good players that are not really chasing in a cheating sort of way to waste time.  I chase players down a little sometimes just to mess with them, but I will stop before i get dinged for it.  Sometimes you want to get a certain position so you need to chase a bit to corner or trap your opponent.  Players can constantly dodge your attacks to force you to forfeit from your idea.

Will the 2 square rule in place, backing someone down is going to give you a bunch of "Chase" points that might ruin the game for you.

HmmNess

HmmNess, I'm happy you are willing to discuss the full-binds-only approach to the chasing limit.

The thing I guess I need help with understanding in your above response is the sentence, "The problem with a chase limit...".  Aren't  we both talking about installing a chase limit that involves a forfeiture at some point?  It is true that players can constantly dodge or run away, but how would they "forfeit" from my idea any worse than yours?  Are you saying you would not ding the aggressive 2-Square chaser until the 35th move, while I would record 35 chasing moves by that time?  How is the game forfeiture affected by this subtle difference?  You would give them 4 free Warning Card levels (@ 35 moves each) before dropping the bomb on them in the 5th.  I would give them 140 moves and drop the bomb on them at 175-180 chase moves.  Is this a substantial difference?

If you are saying that my method would ding players for every little chase move and this might be too finicky, I submit on the other hand that laying out a rule whereby the aggressive chaser can chase for 34 times, break it off, and then never get punished for it is a thing to question.

I will say this:  I do not know how you are going to marry an Auto Draw rule with the Anti Chase rule that does not include the total game chasing limit idea, though perhaps you see a way.  I would certainly like to grasp it.

Thanks.  GLS  

Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#22 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

I would certainly hope that an autodraw rule will be in place shortly once we fix this chasing rule mess.  We can't continue to have games go on forever when one side refuses to agree a game is clearly a draw and they can't win. 

#23 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

This week I played a game, and I chased with my marshall a colonel to pin him down in my right corner. I started  chasing on the enemyarea, also on the right side of the board. I was very surprised when the following message appeared on my screen:
'You may not continuously chase pieces that are unable to be captured' 
Unfortunatly I can't upload a picture, so I'll try to explain with some text. (If somebody can tell me how to make and upload a thumbnail (?), please send me a message.....)

When you divide the board in A1 (left bottomcorner) to J10 (right uppercorner). the chasing started I think on I9. I've got the message when I tried to move my marshal to I3. This are six!! moves. 
It is very difficult this way to capture a piece.....so change this rule quickly!

(Un)Lucky

Attached Files

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#24 vegas

vegas

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

To take a screen shot (a picture of your screen), do the following with a pc:

Press ctrl +alt+ prt sc (print screen). 

Then, open the program Microsoft Paint and paste what you have captured by pressing ctrl +v.

Click save.

Upload the image you captured to the forum.

• Midnightguy and Luckypapa like this

#25 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Vegas, I've always just used Shift + Print Screen and that seems to work for me to copy the screen, which can then be put into paint as you say.  I tried both methods just now and they both work the same way as far as I can tell in my unscientific test.

Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#26 Angelus

Angelus

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Just to let you know, the full-binds is now set to 10. 

I someone could verify this is in fact working as expected? 

thnx

#27 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

To take a screen shot (a picture of your screen), do the following with a pc:

Press ctrl +alt+ prt sc (print screen). 

Then, open the program Microsoft Paint and paste what you have captured by pressing ctrl +v.

Click save.

Upload the image you captured to the forum.

Vegas, thanx.

I use Windows 8 - since a few months. Before I used XP. It took me some time to find the 'paint-program'. When I'd found it I couldn't find the 'uploadbutton' on this site. But, I did't give up and finally I discovered I have to use the 'full editor-option'. 

Never to old to learn something new! And I share my new skills with other users.

Thanx again. Enjoy my 'thumbnail'  :)

Lucky(again)

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#28 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

The maximum number of chase moves should be set well below the draw limit of 200 moves without an attack.  180 chase move limit is way too high, because after only 20 non-chase moves without an attack a chaser could then chase his way to 200 moves and get a unearned draw.   I would suggest a game maximum of 100 pre-bind/full-bind constructions, with appropriate card warnings as a player’s total increases.  However, a buffer should exist so as not to penalize full-bind constructions that occur as a player simple moves past an opponent's piece in order to get somewhere else on the board.  Thus, the game chase counter should not start until more than two consecutive pre-bind/full-binds have taken place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users