Photo

Reminder of Draw/Pause Glitch....what to do.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

We are starting to see a number of complaints that some players are resorting to using the Draw and Pause glitch again.  I can only stress again that if you are winning the game or in a situation that you do not want to draw a game or allow someone a pause time out, DO NOTHING!

For whatever reason, it seems computers are unable to handle multiple requests and it will freeze your computer.  If a request you do not want appears...DO NOTHING and LET THE TIMER COUNT DOWN TO 30.  It's annoying, but it is the only safe way to prevent your computer from freezing and getting a loss until the programmers work on this issue.

• 295770754 likes this

#2 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

(make the requests not interefere with the game at all)

I have quit the site until the cheating players are dealt with.

#3 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Ya, this bug is a problem for sure.  The main problem is when a player disconnects and rejoins a game.  This resets everything, including the pieces that the players have captured and the draw/pause requests.  I would rather see the pause request removed completly or replaced with a disable chat button.

HmmNess

Posted Image

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

I would rather have the draw/pause request just be put on the side of the table and not interfere with the ablitiy to move pieces or do anything else on the game site.  Some have suggested an indicator on the side of the board requesting a draw or pause, not sure how difficult this would be to impliment or not. 

#5 Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

not exactly true midnight guy. deltfish asked me 3 times for a draw in a game which i was about to win. i didn't do nothing and let the timer expire and on the third time it just gave me the loss. i didn't click nothing and it counted down about 5 seconds and gave me the loss. he also taunted me the whole game. a real low life. 

#6 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

There still may be times this is happening where no matter what you do, you get locked up.  This is no fool proof way of preventing all freezes, but so far I've yet to have my game locked up.  One player tried to lock my game up and he asked so many times that he got locked up instead and lost the game! 

#7 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

It might be the browser you are using as well.  I use firefox and I have been draw glitches quite a few times now.  Even if I do not click anything when the prompt window appears on my screen.  What browser do you use while playing Midnight?

HmmNess

Posted Image

#8 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

I'm using Firefox also.  I just got done with someone trying the glitches on me again he started his song and dance once he ran his General into a bomb.  He gave me a bunch of requests and I decided it not worth my time and effort since it was only the middle of the game and I knew I would get some points from him and he would lose anyway from a draw. 

#9 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

Why even have a pop up window in the 1st place???  Chess.com deals with this best i believe.  In the chatbox there should be a sound played and a message in a special color saying: "Name" has offered you a draw.  There will be 2 links or 2 little buttons next to the text inside of the chat box that say either "Accept Draw" or "Decline Draw." 

If you wish to decline you may do this in 2 different ways. 

1.)  Move one of your pieces on the game board, the draw offer will automatically decline. 

2.)  Click the Decline Draw button in the text box if you wish to delcine.

If you choose to accept the draw, simply press the "Accept Draw" button in the text box and the game automatically ends in a draw.

Your opponent may offer you draws unlimited amounts of times.  The game will never freeze, because all you need to do is move one of your pieces to decline the draw.  People will not spam you with draws all the time, because it wont lock up the game by any means.

If you wanted to keep the Pause/Break button in game, you could also add this to the text box and play out the exact same way that i described the draw fix.  I think I will make a post soon about this fix and see if we can get people on our side or not.

Posted Image

#10 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

Sounds like our site should model ourselves after chess.com when dealing with pauses and draws.  What we have right now is just a total mess.

#11 Angelus

Angelus

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

I agree with the suggestion of not using a popup at all. Not sure when it might be changed though. 

#12 Lord_AvS

Lord_AvS

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Perhaps a option you won't accept any draws (which you can on-click if the game gets near a draw).

@Midnight. Just read your hint. I've just get 50+ draw/pause request in a game and i have never let the timer go down. However i did wait around 3 seconds before i declined the draw and the game didn't freeze. Perhaps i was lucky or perhaps that's enough time the game won't break.

Nothing's good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

#13 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Lord, it could very well be pending on how much memory your computer has or speed of your CPU how quickly or at all if your computer will freeze.  I just recommend not doing anything at all because it'll give your computer CPU time to handle what is going on and plus as annoying it may be for us waiting, you force the glitcher to have to wait too before they can issue another pause/draw request. 

#14 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with your CPU.  It seems to be all server based.  I was still able to chat and click my pieces when my game froze without any problems.

I created a post to maybe fix this problem, check it out here.

http://forum.strateg...h-bug-fix-idea/

http://forum.strateg...t-bug-fix-idea/

HmmNess

Posted Image

#15 Angelus

Angelus

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

On the developer side we're pretty sure it's flash related; Both the API and the smartfox server have loging, and they don't reveal anything. 

#16 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Angelus some people are stating even if they do nothing and these glitchers continue to ask for pause/draws their computer still locks up.  Is this possiable?  I also wonder why don't they lock up from asking so many requests so quickly?  As far as I know only one person locked up in a gam vs me when he asked too many times. 

#17 Wonky

Wonky

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

MG:

Ive solved the problem.  See my forum post under kingzig headline.  The advice to not respond is only half of the trick.  If everyone will follow the strategy I have developed, we won't have to worry about them anymore.

Wonky

• papppao likes this

#18 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yes I saw the post Wonky,  wait until they run out of glitches then move the piece.  That could be why I don't lock up because I wait until they are done or their request expired and I quickly moved. 

#19 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

one time some screen came up, about a disconnect or something and I hit cancel, so I lost the game

#20 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Maribo, that is a site error or might have to do with the flash drive crashing.  Do not hit cancel less you get an automatic loss.  I did that too and had that happen to me.  This is different issue from the gliches people are using to avoid a loss. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users