Adsum

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:08 AM

A while ago I suggested that alternate (officially allowed optional) rules be allowed in the game, such as:

Aggressor Advantage.

I realize this is a long shot as it seems nothing has happened with the game in years, but I would really love to have this rule option in the game.

#2 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,431 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hi Adsum, the was an option at Metaforge, but there were just a handful of people that liked to play with it.  It was listed as an optional "tournament rule" in the Milton Bradley game, along with rescue (a piece - excluding scouts - could bring another piece back to life if it reached the opponent's back row) and secret defense (the piece being attacked doesn't reveal it's rank if it wins the battle).  But I don't believe there has ever been any official live event that used any of these rules.  For those that don't know what we're talking about, aggressor advantage says that if two pieces of the same rank do battle, the attacking piece wins.

I'm curious to know what you like this rule, or why you think it makes the game better or more interesting?

#3 Adsum

Adsum

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:26 AM

Hi Adsum, the was an option at Metaforge, but there were just a handful of people that liked to play with it.  It was listed as an optional "tournament rule" in the Milton Bradley game, along with rescue (a piece - excluding scouts - could bring another piece back to life if it reached the opponent's back row) and secret defense (the piece being attacked doesn't reveal it's rank if it wins the battle).  But I don't believe there has ever been any official live event that used any of these rules.  For those that don't know what we're talking about, aggressor advantage says that if two pieces of the same rank do battle, the attacking piece wins.

I'm curious to know what you like this rule, or why you think it makes the game better or more interesting?

What I like about it is two things:

1) Draws are extremely unlikely

2) Lotto can be punished quite severely

Without AggAdv, lotto can statistically be a reasonable option. With AggAdv in place, the odds of success of lotto drop remarkably.

Edited by Adsum, 07 September 2016 - 05:28 AM.

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:05 AM

Hi Adsum, long time no see. I always liked your fiscal ideas. Below is the link to where you requested this same Aggressor Advantage thing before:

http://forum.strateg...=33635&hl=adsum
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 Adsum

Adsum

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:12 AM

Ahjh! Yes, thank you for that link, I had forgotten how deep the thread got last time around. ;-) I tried my best to defend the concept, many stratego purists descended on it with fire and brimstone. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users