TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

Do any other countries aside from Greece and Netherlands run Stratego clubs?

Whereas online stratego attracts a far wider access - anyone who has the internet can learn the game - maybe one advantage of Stratego clubs is that they accelerate the development of the skills of their members - through more active discussion and live practice. A second advantage I can foresee is that the creation of a community is perhaps likely to keep players interested in the game longer than any online equivalent.

If a Stratego club was formed in my neighbourhood I'm pretty sure that it would have bricks through the windows fairly early in its life - playing board games is not the most desirable activity for the youth of today, but I wonder whether this is the case for the Greek clubs.

• KARAISKAKIS, Aris1970 and texaspete09 like this

#2 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

You should come over in January and play the international Teamcup. Top 3 teams the last couple of years have been Weg der Victorie - Rotterdam, De Baronnen - Brabant (also with a touch of Belgium in it) and De Verkenners - my club. But there's a German team often too. It would be nice to play your team too then. I've counted 5-6 very active UK players of which 3 have played the last live WC so you should be able to manage a team of 4.

There are always about a dozen teams present. There's an online team as well with the player who made the first Stratego AI in it (Stuyvesant). And there's a good kids team with hondjekapitein. Also one with younger players than that (10 year olds). And a club we used to play derby's against in the eastern part of my country.

Lo

#3 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Lieutenant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

You should come over in January and play the international Teamcup. Top 3 teams the last couple of years have been Weg der Victorie - Rotterdam, De Baronnen - Brabant (also with a touch of Belgium in it) and De Verkenners - my club. But there's a German team often too. It would be nice to play your team too then. I've counted 5-6 very active UK players of which 3 have played the last live WC so you should be able to manage a team of 4.

There are always about a dozen teams present. There's an online team as well with the player who made the first Stratego AI in it (Stuyvesant). And there's a good kids team with hondjekapitein. Also one with younger players than that (10 year olds). And a club we used to play derby's against in the eastern part of my country.

Yes, that's our team(Yellowhat, yoyordy, jonathan888 and hondjekapitein, who is 8 years old :)). It's a very nice tournament because we as juniors also play against seniors. I really recommend it!

• Napoleon 1er likes this
Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#4 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

You are the Houtense Majoren, aren't you? The ruling Junior champions? I thought you were older then the other team but your 4th seat is just 8 years old? I take it TheOptician can take him on then for sure, so there's nothing holding him from coming next January ;)!

Lo

#5 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Lieutenant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

You are the Houtense Majoren, aren't you? The ruling Junior champions? I thought you were older then the other team but your 4th seat is just 8 years old? I take it TheOptician can take him on then for sure, so there's nothing holding him from coming next January ;)!

Yes, we are. But champions? hello124 and Spion... are also juniors. hondjekapitein is the only player in our team who is younger than the other team. 

Does TheOptician really come? hondjekapitein has beaten him in a ranked game  :)

And do you participate again?

• Lonello likes this
Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#6 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

Though I welcome the opportunity for revenge v hondjekapitein, one Stratego trip abroad a year is the most I can manage - and I've committed to next years World Cup (assuming it is in Europe) :-)

#7 yoyordy

yoyordy

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

Yes, i would like to play too vs you!

• Lonello likes this

#8 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

I think we all like to play him! You can't be afraid to play these 8 year old champions, TheOptician? We've now got Yellowhat, yoyordy and hondjekapitein lining up for you. BUT... you CAN play grown-ups too you know... I'll be there! (Don't know if that helps at all...). Just tell your wife you'll be bringing your kids too, assuming they are at least 5 years old they can compete too!

Lo

#9 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

There is a board game club in my local city (in the UK) but they don't offer Stratego at the moment. I enquired about whether they would like to hire me as a coach to introduce the game to their club and coach people who are especially interested. They said I should drop by one evening for a chat but I didn't get round to it in the end - I'm not sure it would really have taken off. I prefer to coach dedicated players who are new but keen, or not new but not improving much, using Skype on a 1 to 1 basis. But anyway yeah I don't think board game clubs are that rare, there is definitely a market for it just as there is a market for computer gamers.

Edited by iron_maiden, 05 September 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#10 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,369 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:02 AM

TheOptician, I line up vs you as well ;)

• Lonello likes this

#11 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

xu5WKOHl.jpg

This is a picture of a group of Greeks that get together to have tournaments. If I am not mistaking, I believe this is a group of people that usually make it to the upper end with their tournament performance. The only thing that would make this picture cooler for me is if there were left to right names for the faces. 

#12 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

xu5WKOHl.jpg

8HuyKkal.jpg

This is a picture of a group of Greeks that get together to have tournaments. If I am not mistaking, I believe this is a group of people that usually make it to the upper end with their tournament performance. The only thing that would make this picture cooler for me is if there were left to right names for the faces. 

@Wogomite

Let make a quiz! ;)

This is a picture from the dinner during Greek championships in 2015

The second one (this one which I added in your post) is from the dinner during the next championship last week

First of all you can find who are the same persons in both pictures (small help: these are 5)

After that I can write their names 

#13 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:18 PM

hmmm...I am stumped. What's the answer?

#14 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,879 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

let me take my chance I think i get 4 out of 5 ... Karaiskakis, Zoografos, Aris1970 and spyros77 ... the 5th one is the mystery beardy nice looking guy ;)

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#15 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

Sekertziss, Karaiskakis, Aris1970, gpet0, and spyros77?

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#16 Ides of March

Ides of March

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:17 PM

I'm envious.  They don't have those here in the States, at least not where I live (North Carolina)

#17 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:09 PM

The second, fourth, and fifth guys on the left plus you, Gregory, and the fellow in glasses next to you on the right each time are repeated in both photos. Have no idea what names anyone has though. :(

Is SEKERTZISS in the top photo on the left?

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#18 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

Anyone else want to try? :)

#19 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

Anyone else want to try? :)

I think no....

So this is the correct answer

Gary found correctly the 5 common persons in both photos

Their names

The second, fourth, and fifth guys on the left of the first picture are

dalee (the mystery beardy nice looking guy ) , Aris1970 and gorgsari

The guy with the glasses on the right side next to me  is zoografos

The fifth person is of course myself  :)

Sekertzis is only in the first photo (he didn't join the tournament this year) and he is on the left side the third one

Same with gpet0 who is on the right side the second one.

• GaryLShelton and Napoleon 1er like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users