Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

NSquared certainly built an impressive reputation in the Quick Arena as being highly skilled, possessing a comprehensive understanding of this gameplay setting, and also being an excellent sportsman.

Whatever became of him? Thank you, in advance, for your contributions.

Gwynplaine

• maxroelofs likes this
"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#2 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

NSquare lived ages ago. How would one member, only in existence since June this year, know NSquare, Gwynplaine? 

It's just a bit strange to me all kinds of newbees come to check in with players who were here years ago, like Sadistic and NSquare. Who cares, as they have not been around for years, and most here, including you, are not even supposed to know them (I myself sure don't know them as they were even before my time)?

Lo

#3 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

Nsquared? He became other accounts that start with N. I'm sure you can spot them if you dig around the archives :-) As far as I know he left in October last year. There's probably one person who knows why but he/she probably doesn't want to say.

Nsquared was I believe the first player to post educational videos on this site - a pioneer of the game in many ways. If he is not still among us in some form, I look forward to his return. He also has considerable skill with a computer. If he and bletchfo partnered up I believe that would be a great prospect for the future of online Stratego.

#4 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

NSquared certainly built an impressive reputation in the Quick Arena as being highly skilled, possessing a comprehensive understanding of this gameplay setting, and also being an excellent sportsman.

Whatever became of him? Thank you, in advance, for your contributions.

Gwynplaine

NSquared was an excellent player whom I actually played with once when I first began.

Back in the fall of 2015, he announced his "retirement" from stratego in a topic somewhere in the archives, called "Guide to Quick Arena"

• Lonello likes this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#5 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

He did indeed announce his retirement. At least three or four times as I recall. He was also involved in the world record 9 hour match (for Quick Arena) with ThreeMusketeers, which actually defies belief for the sole reason that you might expect a human to either eat or visit une toilette during such a time.

He usually retires for one year, so I'd expect him to return in a month or so.
  • Caesar101 likes this

#6 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:58 PM

He did indeed announce his retirement. At least three or four times as I recall. He was also involved in the world record 9 hour match (for Quick Arena) with ThreeMusketeers, which actually defies belief for the sole reason that you might expect a human to either eat or visit une toilette during such a time.

He usually retires for one year, so I'd expect him to return in a month or so.

Lol,...if you play nine hours to complete a quickgame,...

then I just wonder how many chasemoves were involved?

But more important : who had the nicest trashtalk for nine hours straight? lol

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:02 PM

NSquare lived ages ago. How would one member, only in existence since June this year, know NSquare, Gwynplaine?

I think he probably chatted in games, heard the name, and then researched it.

For example, it wouldn't take long for a chess enthusiast starting to play today to hear of Bobby Fisher in the USA, even though the man has died. Asking for what happened to Bobby Fisher became such a cult thing they made a movie about it decades after his famous chess matches in the early 70's with the Russian, titled "Searching for Bobby Fisher".

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#8 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

There was also a recent film starring Toby Maguire, which id recommend. Can't recall the name though.

#9 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

My first encounter in the Quick Arena was a disaster! This led me to NSquared's excellent videos. They do not "give away" profound secrets, but they afford highly valuable insight once you have some experience and can begin to understand what he is discussing.  :)

Who cares, as they have not been around for years...

It doesn't matter that they haven't been around in recent times...and it's only been around a year and a half...that's not so long ago, Lonello. Of course, someone here (and I won't say who ;) ) said, "I must be as old as dirt," when I had mentioned some of my tastes in a private discussion.  :D  Hence, I enjoy history very much and NSquared is hardly from the Pleistocene Age.

...and most here, including you, are not even supposed to know them (I myself sure don't know them as they were even before my time)?

Good players are good players, and those that have generously offered the benefit of their knowledge to help other enthusiasts, as well as more serious minded players, should be well regarded for their passion, their generosity, and their positive support of this fine game.

See you around...and then...see you around again...but no chasing!!!  :lol:

Gwynplaine

Edited by Gwynplaine, 26 August 2016 - 01:35 PM.

"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#10 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

Oh OK, I didn't know he still had video's on.

"Searching for Bobby Fisher".

Yes, I was there actually. Well, for the Dutch documentary that is. 40 years after the candidate matches and after that famous Reykjavik match with Spasski they played again, on Curacao. I played in the field with his past opponents like Kortsjnoi, and the arbiters of that match like Benko were present as well :)! Same for famous players like Polgar and Dutch celebrities as Bohm and a chess journalist Ligterink whom I actually played (and lost deerly ;) ). I remember losing against a Florida player called Fernandez too. Then won against a local 2000+ player, Marvin Dekker  ;). And some victories against Germans but they weren't worth much. There's actually an "uncommon opening" recorded in the chess databases with my name on it ;). Just because I played this tourney, and didn't know what I did :).

There was also a recent film starring Toby Maguire, which id recommend. Can't recall the name though.

Yes, that's Pawn Sacrifice

Lo

#11 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

That would be Pawn Sacrifice from 2015.

Here's a trailer: https://youtu.be/02Be0cNzZhY

The movie I spoke of is much older, from 1993.

Here's a trailer for that one: https://youtu.be/8khmNiamBxo

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#12 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

That was more like a documentary, Gary. Just as the one that was filmed during my stay on Curacao, ten years later.

Lo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users