Photo

The limit on the number of times a player can move a piece back and forth has to go!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

From what I understand, via Stratego experts, official tournament rules declare that "Double chasing" is not legal, the logic being this: if you are chasing one piece endlessly, by starting to chase a second piece does not break this cycle, but rather continues it. On this site, the program can recognize a "chase" situation over a limited number of squares, but it does not recognize a double chase. This, in and of itself, does not make it a legal tactic merely because the program has not yet been developed to the level of stopping a double chase.

• Lonello and sevenseas like this
"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#42 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Captain

• Greek Tournament Manager
  • 793 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the reponce
But in the ending of the game it may be difficult to create a double chase
For example 4,4 vs 3,3,3 it is a sucess if you manage to do so
So i dont think it is illegal in certain moments of the game

Edited by Henry domerkant, 21 October 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#43 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

Thanks!! And what about this Hummness or whatever it is.

HmmNess was the name of an early moderator-type person on the site. He was a player who had inside connections, it seemed, with programmers at the time. There was ample discussion of the Two-Squares Rule and double chasing and interminable single chasing. I am embarrassed at some of my early comments in those days. But, happy to say, knowledge does evolve. :) Anyway, one thing we got out of those days was the "HmmNess Rule" which is what Napoleon was describing a few posts ago. I'm honestly not sure of the exact parameters but I do know that it stops you on the 10th chasing move in a line. Does it block the 10th chasing move in a 2x2 block of squares? I don't know. Keep in mind it doesn't block based upon RBP (repeated board position) as the ISF does, but rather it just blocks on a sheer number (10) of chasing moves.

Is double chase legal or not?

According to the ISF, no. But since the programming does not stop this action, the MT will not judge a case of it at this time though various tournaments have announced they will enforce it. Proof needs to video to be solid.

So i dont think it is illegal in certain moments of the game

The situation of the game does not change either the ruling of the ISF or the non-enforcement here of the MT.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#44 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Captain

• Greek Tournament Manager
  • 793 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

Thanks gary

#45 Witherguy5

Witherguy5

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, sometimes the HmmNess gives the victory to the runner because he can't keep chasing that piece and has no other pieces to move.

#46 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,368 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

I had it some time ago I had a lieutenant and my opponent had a captain. His flag was open. When you trap the captain with your lieut (they stand diagonally to each other), your opponent is not able to capture you as he may not chase you forever. Eventually, at some point he must run away and the way to the flag will get open. If the captain chases you, this isn't possible anymore.

• Kernel Mustard likes this

#47 Witherguy5

Witherguy5

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

Was your flag closed?

#48 Silverhammer

Silverhammer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, just use the rule to your advantage or learn to get around it as I have tried to do, or enjoy playing the board game the rest of your life. 

#49 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

I had it some time ago I had a lieutenant and my opponent had a captain. His flag was open. When you trap the captain with your lieut (they stand diagonally to each other), your opponent is not able to capture you as he may not chase you forever. Eventually, at some point he must run away and the way to the flag will get open. If the captain chases you, this isn't possible anymore.

Would anyone know if ISF allows the same kind of situations.

I think I can understand why d chasing cases aren't accepted, because unlike draw refusals, it doesn't necessarily show unsportsmanlike behavior, so this would be better handled at the programming level if it were to be enforced

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 04 November 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#50 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

With chasing in a line that is not blocked by the Two Squares Rule the HmmNess Rule here blocks chasing on the tenth chasing move. That is, if a chase ranges over at least three squares, the tenth chase will not be allowed. The ISF blocks this on the basis of repeated board position. If the chasing piece causes board position be repeated, the chasing is blocked. This could happen in a line situation in as little as the fifth chasing move, and as long as the 12th chasing move if the threatened piece started on its second rank or file.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users