Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:50 PM

Please ask any questions you have regarding the tournament here. 

3 - 0

#2 Bill0nStrateg0

Bill0nStrateg0

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:16 AM

More of a suggestion than a question. But it just occurred to me that maybe you/we should have a consolation playoff bracket for the people that don't make the reg season playoffs. Just like they have in fantasy football. It would extend the fun for those people/me lol and give folks a second chance for glory. lol :)

Edited by Bill0nStrateg0, 05 September 2016 - 12:20 AM.

#3 Bill0nStrateg0

Bill0nStrateg0

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

I've been thinking about this overnight and I'm going to advocate for it even more strongly today.
Here's my argument .....

I noticed in the rules section that you have many stipulations for outcomes spawned by players not finishing all of their games.
I also noticed that you have just 6 playoff spots available for the 23 players in three divisions. With conference winners taking the first three spots and leaving just 3 for the remaining 20 players , that's a pretty high bar to clear. (Most fantasy leagues and even real sports let about 33% of players/teams into the playoffs. At 6 of 23 were allowing just 26%).

Perhaps facing such difficult odds after a tough first couple of games becomes a daunting task for some people. They get discouraged and don't have the enthusiasm to finish because they feel they have no hope to reach that bar as high as it is.

A consolation playoff could solve much of that. (It's kinda like having a mini "bronze , silver , gold" tournament inside the reg NASF season.) People with unfortunate starts would still have every chance to make their mark. And people that struggle with the top players would still have hope of achieving something cool.

My suggestion is to simply take the next 6 or 8 highest RPI players that don't make it to the championship playoff bracket and run a consolation bracket concurrently with the regular playoffs for them.

It will make this so much more fun and exiting for so many more people and may even help with recruiting for next time.

#4 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

The rules currently allow players with a winning record who do not make the playoffs to participate in bowl games.

The committee is discussing expanding the number of people invited to bowl games.
3 - 0

#5 Bill0nStrateg0

Bill0nStrateg0

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

My suggestion is better. :)

Because people earn there way in and don't have to be "appointed" games and it's a whole new playoff. Not just one "bowl" game.

I think , anyway. But thanks for reading.

Edited by Bill0nStrateg0, 05 September 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#6 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

What is the role of non conference games? Do they affect standings in any way or are they just friendly games?

#7 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

Non-conference games do not affect the standings. They are used in the calculation of RPI, a measure that evaluates a player's performance and strength of schedule. RPI determines which players, who did not win their conference, make the playoffs.
3 - 0

#8 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

RPI will also determine which two conference winners will get byes for the first round of the playoffs, and which bowl games players who do not make the playoffs will be invited to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users