queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:47 AM

It's been interesting to see how my mind works with this election. Almost nothing really mattered as I am retired. I didn't have a dog in the race so to speak, yet I felt so passionate at times. Now that it is over life goes on and I think so little about politics that I am at peace with it. Why get all worked up about something I have no control over. I am not going to protest it and if I was invited to the White House I would treat Trump with the respect of the office. I don't think I would want the job at his age. I think he just got caught up in the inertia of the whole thing. Don't we all?

What is inertia and how does it affect free will. Physics tells us that the universe is still expanding. Taken on a human scale we are born a blank slate. Then we are molded like clay from our experiences and culture to a point when we have preferences rather than choices. There is a limit in the amount of flavors I can choose. I am going to choose based on previous experiences. So where does free will come in?

Can a bad person cannot choose to be good and vice versa. Plus taken down even further a person is not all good or all bad are they? If I pick up a gun and shoot someone am I bad? How about if I join the army and am sent to war and pointed at the enemy and told to kill. Am I then good? Isn't it more about intent? If I intend to do harm? Well as a soldier I do intend to do harm and some innocent bystander might be killed. How do I justify my actions. How does the general justify their actions by sending men to die and kill. How does a country justify their actions? How do we as a species that are supposedly the highest form of life justify killing animals for sport or for food or burning fossil fuels or pouring chemicals into rivers etc etc.

Maybe we are not to blame for anything we do? After all what choices do we really have? To sit in a cave and do no harm? To live off roots and berries? I prefer (and there is that word again) to have a house, an income, savings, a car, a cat or even good health, but can I have it all? What am I really responsible for when people kill in defense of my freedom? Why do I need some military guys to kill others so that I can sit safely with my cable/internet and big screen tv while the ones they are killing have nothing?

Just more grist for the mill.

Edited by queenbee1, 15 November 2016 - 03:51 AM.

#82 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:17 AM

Just another thought for today. Are we not like the snowman stuck inside a snowglobe? I means you can shake up the weather and make it snow. but even turning everything inside the globe to its raw elements you are still stuck inside the globe. We can't get out unless we are astronauts and even then we can't go far. Our bodies are dependent on gravity or our muscles turn into a mass of jello. I read that the last guy who stayed on the ISS for a year will take 6 months to a year to get back to normal strength. How will we ever survive the trip to Mars? 

I think the gravity is about the same there, but the air is not even close. Imagine one day we will travel to the stars and have to live inside of portable snowglobes so we can breathe. If one believes in an eternal soul how will it find its way back? This is what make religions fail in my mind to see the future. I like to believe that although none of us gets off this earth alive I wonder if there is consciousness after death can it fly? Can it travel through the universe? Where would I go if I don't even know anything about the universe?

The concept of a heaven or hell seems so puerile when you drill down to what is right or wrong, good or evil. How do we even know? Because it is written in a book? It's as if there is a sorting hat like in Harry Potter. Ah you were a very good girl, but you had a lot of bad thoughts. Off to Slytherin you go. Once the great sorting is done and the gods get bored can they just start over again?

#83 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

National Geographic has a new series called Mars. We are going because Elon Musk says it can be done. In case of an extinction level event we don't want to go the way of the dinosaurs. As the sailors went into uncharted seas so will we explore the universe. If I was young I would be signing up. It not star trek and a mars mission will be difficult, but sitting on this planet working as a wage slave just to get rich or pay the bills is nowhere near as exciting. We can't even imagine life without our ICE cars yet.

The future is now and Europe is kicking our ♥♥♥ in renewables. In the meantime we try to convince ourselves that coal and oil is good. It's buried beneath the ground for a reason. The Sun and The Wind are plentiful. Yet the coal and oil companies own our politicians.

Change will come, but with the coal and oil industry kicking and screaming. Wind and solar still can't be used for all the synthetic materials like packing foam and non recyclables that float in the ocean over a mile long. That my friends will be on this planet forever. No country wants to take responsibility for the clean up in the Pacific.

Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Edited by queenbee1, 16 November 2016 - 06:01 AM.

#84 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

Meaningless post I deleted.

Edited by queenbee1, 21 November 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#85 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:21 AM

I can't define consciousness because consciousness does not exist. Humans believe that the way we experience the world is special and unique. Yet we live in loops reliving the same thing day after day. Waiting to be told what to do next. Today I had moment. I have been trying to get people around me to wake up and question their programming, belief systems and lives. They cannot change anymore than I can. This entire thread was never to convince anyone of anything. It was to awaken something within me. 

Edited by queenbee1, 21 November 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#86 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

Meaningless post I deleted.

Everything is meaningless. Do not take life too seriously. It's not our fault. We are here by accident.

Lo

#87 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

Everything is meaningless. Do not take life too seriously. It's not our fault. We are here by accident.

Lo it was just a couple of songs I linked to by REM. One called Losing My Religion and the other was Teotwawki

Posting them was a passing fancy.

I don't know if life has meaning beyond what we individually give it. If there were a God he is an absentee landlord. Left us to our own demise as a failed experiment. I have no doubt we will destroy the ecosystem and we will eventually die off and be forgotten. The thing I feel right now (and it will change) is that we are not to blame. We didn't choose this life. As a matter of fact I don't think we choose anything. We try to avoid pain and hunger for ourselves, but we see it all around us and walk right by.

I think I will add this. Everybody Knows

Edited by queenbee1, 22 November 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#88 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:18 AM

Three days and I couldn't think of anything. Life seems a lot like bumper cars as we humanoids just keep running into each other. I did notice at Thanksgiving that I was far outnumbered by Trump voters so I kept my mouth shut. Still a lot of anger and blame from the Trumpeteers. I wonder what happened in their lives (and this is family) to make them so angry. How did one women become the object of their anger (not me Hillary).

So I ambled through the holiday not feeling it this year. Something has changed in my programming. I would some days like to understand how Obamacare made everyone's health insurance go up. I guess since the insurance companies could no longer keep sick people out of the system it all just blew up. Better to have them die and get on with it than to raise everyone's rates. If we could just get rid of Medicare we would all be a lot better off. I hear that Trump's new guy coming in wants to privatize it. That ought to make the old ones real happy.

We need to put all the social security ious in the stock market too or it will go broke or at least that is what I am told. Funny we added 20 million to the insurance rolls and due to not being able to screen out preexisting conditions they just didn't know how to make money off them. So instead they jacked everyone else's rates. You gotta love the health insurance industry and big pharma. They really put the screws to the American taxpayers. It all Obama's fault. I think he personally wrote all 2000 pages of the Affordable Care Act just to make people pay more.

#89 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:40 PM

I watched an interesting movie about time travel and it impacted my programming and thus the change in signatures. Signatures to me do not represent who I am. It is more about what I see out of my window to life. Do you remember when we were kids and driving with Mom and Dad and playing "I spy?" I spy a windmill, or a cow or a silo. We had a lot of silos in Wisconsin when I was young. Whole areas of roads and farmland that was filled with corn and other vegetables. A Farmer's land was in squares if seen from the air. Since I moved to Florida in 1970 I haven't seen many farms. There used to be orange groves everywhere and now they are all gone. When I traveled I used the interstate highways and the view was never breathtaking as when I was a kid.

#90 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

CNN calls Trump a digibete. He only knows Twitter and we can expect a Twitter-Barrage the next couple of years. Now he's twittered people need to be put in jail for a year for burning a flag.

Now how do you consider his consciousness, Queenbee? You tend to the elderly with Alzheimer's. Don't you see a surprising comparison? Trump has an attention span of 10 seconds. At the most. 140 words. Mostly less. He has never read a book in his life. His own book he didn't write. He wanted hardly spend time on it either. He's hapsnap, Queenbee. A baboon can focus longer. Ever tried imagining Trump playing a game of chess? Karjakin and Carlsen sometimes have games of 7 hours. That's just 1 single game. Trump wouldn't manage to produce 1 move...

Lo

#91 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,497 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

CNN calls Trump a digibete.

I seriously doubt that, Lo. He may not be tech-savvy but in English the word digibete means one who has diabetes. So I'm quite sure, unless that's what he has, CNN hasn't said "Trump is a digibete." :)

Anyway, sorry to add to the hijacking of your thread a bit further, queenbee1! :(

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#92 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,863 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

a good question for this topic could be: Why does the religion2 topic have so much success and contributions from many members and in particular a lot of young members  while on this consciousness topic only a few elderly people try to force themselves to contribute ;) ?

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#93 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,497 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:03 PM

Jeez, Napoleon 1er, elderly? You are definitely not invited to my Senior Moments Tournament... :)

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#94 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:51 AM

a good question for this topic could be: Why does the religion2 topic have so much success and contributions from many members and in particular a lot of young members  while on this consciousness topic only a few elderly people try to force themselves to contribute ;) ?

I don't think you were looking for an answer to a question here, but I can share an opinion. Maybe today's younger people are less inquisitive, but I don't believe that? Maybe it takes a lifetime of experience to look back at one's life and say Hmmmmm? So in your opinion is that the Religion 2 topic is a success and this topic is only "a few elderly people trying to force themselves to contribute." Are the two really comparable? Think about the intent of the question to begin with.

Edited by queenbee1, 01 December 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#95 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

I'm quite sure, unless that's what he has, CNN hasn't said "Trump is a digibete."

You got me there, Gary. They were in fact only saying that Trump was not a reader nor a writer (he doesn't use email apparantly) and didn't know computers. They used the exact word "Twitter-barrage" which I had never heard of before myself.

But digibetism is quite a new word, is it still slang in English? You know where it comes from don't you? Or don't you have another word for illiteracy: analfabetism? For someone who doesn't know the alfabet. That's why they call people who don't know digital things a digibete over here.

And yes, Queenbee is right: youngsters simply have little to reflect on. Instead, they only thrive forward. So it doesn't surprise me a bit this topic isn't hot. But to say Religion is a success, no, I wouldn't go that far. In fact the originator of the first Religion topic thought it a disaster in the end and had it closed down. The second originator even was given a formal reprimande; a first in 2016. So no, I don't think that topic is a big success.

Back to this topic. How do you see Trump's consciousness, Queenbee? Does he have early Alzheimer's like Reagan you think?

Lo

#96 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

WARNING! WARNING! Three Stooges quote ahead!!!

"I try to think, but nothing happens." –Curly

Our world, at present, holds many amazing resources, and I refer not to those which nature has so generously and miraculously provided us, but those things which people have created to aid all people in this life. Technology, (computers, communication, commerce, development) however, has pervaded most of the collective consciousness on this planet (primarily those nations with financial resources) that we find ourselves deeply distracted–sure, we can go to work, or to school, but there is not a lot we do in addition to the primary focus of our lives as our minds are filled and clouded with technological items and issues.

Charles Chaplin wrote and performed one of the greatest speeches of the 20th century in his film THE GREAT DICTATOR (1940). In one passage, he says, “We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost....”

Youth is the springtime of the seasons–it desires pleasure and joy, it naturally seeks the warmth of the sun and the comfort of mild days. There is little to reflect upon when indulging in the pleasures of one’s surroundings because as humans, we think and feel that it will last forever. Most people awake in midlife wondering how they had arrived in the late autumn so suddenly. “The days of wine and roses were just yesterday, not any longer than that–I am sure!” And, as the inevitable twilight begins, so does the conscious individual begin to reflect. Twilight may also be a season, quite long and beautiful, but youth usually does not care about this–there is no need for it just yet–and youth does not often have the experiences in life that prompts introspection. True, it is different for every single soul on the planet and there are exceptions–many, in fact. The truth, however, is that the average youth is having too much fun to be interested or to think about such things.

Now, if QueenBee1 had given the thread the title of “Consciousness and Sex” I think you’d have plenty of youths chiming in…perhaps even Hielco would be tuning in.

–Gwynplaine

"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#97 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,497 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

WARNING! WARNING! Three Stooges quote ahead!!!

"I try to think, but nothing happens." –Curly

Charles Chaplin wrote and performed one of the greatest speeches of the 20th century in his film THE GREAT DICTATOR (1940). In one passage, he says, “We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost....”

–Gwynplaine

That you might quote Alexander Dumas and Curly Howard in the same year means there are now two of us in the world. :D

I'd forgotten about the short and wonderful Chaplin speech. Thanks for posting that here. :)
  • Gwynplaine likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

#98 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

Well Lonello you took the words out of my mouth in regards to the success of the Religion topic.

I remember the frustration that Chewtoy had as did many who contributed to the first one. Now I left the Religion 2 topic due to the most misogynistic comment I have ever read although Trump's "I just grab them by the ........" would be a close second. Then it went too far and that is all I have to say. There were lots of great comments in Religion 2. Perhaps there will be more. I didn't feel comfortable sharing my philosophical ideas there as they had nothing to do with Religion.

I have started a lot of topics and this one continues to amaze me. Count me in the group of people who knew Curly Howard and Charlie Chaplin. Many a Saturday we were dropped at the Plaza Theater for a morning matinee. Thanks for reminding me and another good Chaplin movie I would never have seen were it not due to a friends referral was Modern Times.

Gwynplaine as always another beautiful posting. Maybe one of your best and I have read them all. 

Trump and consciousness. Lo I don't think he has alzheimer's as I am around it every day. He has impulse control issues. I'd rather not sully this topic with too many comments about him. He got enough free press to get elected. So I am going to let him be. Maybe he will do something good by accident and not destroy the world in a nuclear war with Russia. He is the POTUS and I may as well think well of him. I was exhausted by 8 years of Bush that culminated with the near destruction of our economy.

I will share that I was able to change my programming this week. It was a small step. I would say how, but it is working. I needed external stimulus to even consider this change, so my concern with Free Will still exists. To me humans are the best and worst of what evolution has produced. I hope we are not the only ones in the universe. My concern is that another greatly advanced species could visit us and be like the Borg. Let us hope that is not the case. It would be great if they could come along and say "carbon emissions? Yes we had that issue 10,000 year ago and here is what we did. Cancer? We can take care of that too. Speed of light? How do you think we got here?"

I don't believe aliens will visit us as it is a big universe. They may not even consider us worthy of  the label intelligent life. Just another random thought. Another concern I have is we are becoming too dependent on machines, but that is for another post.

Edited by queenbee1, 01 December 2016 - 08:20 PM.

#99 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

That you might quote Alexander Dumas and Curly Howard in the same year means there are now two of us in the world. :D

Thanks, Gary! You've made my day!!! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!  :D

"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#100 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,863 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:35 PM

... very good, seems now that since yesterday a lot of activity occured on this topic ... I wonder why ;)

I like very much all your remarks on Charlie Chaplin. As you know he is Swiss and he has a park and a museum to which i'm personnally bound because it is in this park that long time ago I married ... in fact in the church right next to this park but after the wedding we had the appetizer in the park by a very warm beautiful sunny day ... never forget the greatest day of my life ... for sure i like this connection to Charlie Chaplin

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users