Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:48 AM

We are told that they were inspired by God. Yet history is littered with Godly men who killed and tortured in the name of their God burning innocent men and women at the stake and do so to this day. Men holding the bible as they cast out their child be because he or she is different. Honor killings and forcing women to carry to term the child born of their rapist. 

Some people are misguided and do things in the name of God that they should not do. But the times where God really did tell people to kill others, those people were not innocent. And God is patient too, otherwise none of us would survive.

In your 4th sentence I assume what you're referring to is homosexuality. It is a perversion, similar to many other perversions. See Leviticus 20. I would agree that rape is not an excuse for abortion.

I wonder am I as conscious as I will ever be or if my consciousness evolve.

You might find the second half of 1 Cor 13 interesting.

Kind regards,

KM

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 05 October 2016 - 04:49 AM.

The earth is a flat plane:  https://www.youtube....dLUm8Db&index=2 Psalm 19:4 - 6, Rev 7:1

#42 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:52 AM

I am the Lord, thou shalt have no other gods before Me. So Jesus is mute. Jesus is not gods son. Why does he even need a son?

I hate to get too offtopic here, but this is not true. John 3:16 and many other verses are very clear about this that Jesus is God's only begotten son.

• Master Mind and zuriels like this

The earth is a flat plane:  https://www.youtube....dLUm8Db&index=2 Psalm 19:4 - 6, Rev 7:1

#43 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:55 AM

I like you and I know you mean well so I am not going to eviscerate your post on sickness, but it is laughably ignorant and offensive.
  • The Maestro likes this
3 - 0

#44 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Moderators
  • 2,001 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hi km

During your absence there was a hot topic "religion" down in the off topic forum ... might be of interest for you.

http://forum.strateg...opicfilter=all#
  • Kernel Mustard and Master Mind like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#45 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

I have lots of questions about the afterlife, but I am more concerned with the here and now. Some people generally don't entertain these thoughts as they can be disconcerting. Some people prefer not to think of these things, but I find them to be fascinating

You've opened a can of worms there, Queenbee, a dozen Religion posts coming from that ;).

• zuriels likes this
Lo

#46 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,084 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

Lo I am afraid you are right. I did clarify that I am more interested in the here and now. If you have no thoughts of your own on consciousness then please don't bring religion to this topic.

#47 zuriels

zuriels

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:30 PM

Hi KM,

King James translated right?

Jesus was killed for rewriting the Torah, I believe.

Plus Blasphemy.

It's interesting to note that Jesus had made no intent to rewrite anything.

https://www.christia...h-still-binding

http://www.christian...estamentLaw.htm

For this: Look Under The Teachings of Jesus 

Hope I did not offend you, Kernel, Just putting my two cents in.

Edited by zuriels, 05 October 2016 - 10:31 PM.

#48 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

@Zuriels

As we are completely off the topic of this thread, may I interject something about what was written? "Jesus was killed for rewriting the Torah, I believe." If you mean figuratively, that is a possible interpretation. Jesus was murdered for one of the oldest reasons in the book...money. He was also conspired against because the High Priests were deeply troubled by the fact that Jesus was garnering a big following. After Jesus raised Lazarus, they were even more worried because this signaled a possible revolt against the roman yoke. Jerusalem had always been (then and now) the most troubled outpost in any empire. The jewish population at one point attempted a revolt, but they were put down. The High Priests knew that the Romans would not try to change their way of life, so long as they paid their tribute to Caesar. Hence, as Jesus developed more of a following, it was very likely that the greater the numbers grew, they worried their way of life was going to be thrown into chaos yet again. Money, power, control...nothing has changed.

When Jesus chased the money changers from the Temple, Caiaphas had had enough. The modern day comparison is this: it would be as if Jesus walked into the New York Stock Exchange and shut it down for the day. If he did that today, you could be sure that a coalition of bankers would be planning to take him down. 

Terrible.

"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#49 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:15 AM

Thanks Napoleon for the link. It was very interesting. There were some comments about OT laws regarding slavery and things which I would've liked to discuss if I had the chance.

https://www.christia...h-still-binding

http://www.christian...estamentLaw.htm

For this: Look Under The Teachings of Jesus 

Hope I did not offend you, Kernel, Just putting my two cents in.

@zuriels I'm a little confused at where you're coming from, since you said Jesus was killed for blasphemy. Would you consider yourself a Christian?

Thanks for the links. I enjoyed reading them. Matt 5:17-20 is something that I admittedly don't understand fully. Though I've taken similar conclusions that your links take.

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 22 October 2016 - 01:07 AM.

• Master Mind likes this

#50 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,362 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

I hate to get too offtopic here, but this is not true. John 3:16 and many other verses are very clear about this that Jesus is God's only begotten son.

Thanks for quoting KJV. :) It's always been a peculiar thing to me that the NIV translation of that verse uses the phrase "one and only Son", instead of "only begotten". It makes for a logical conflict elsewhere in the NIV with any males that accept Jesus and earn the right to become a child of God. Because then God certainly would have many sons. Of course, it's the capital S thing but "only begotten" and "power to become sons of God" clarify things wonderfully. Compare the John 1:12 verses between NIV and KJV and see also the appositive error that believing in his name is in the NIV. KJV makes a lot more sense there for multiple reasons.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#51 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:27 PM

Guys, get a room please. Anything with Bible-quoting or even the words "God" or "Jesus" in here is not allowed by the topic starter; she has been plain obvious about that. Now if you would like to start another Religion-topic, or rather Bible-topic, then by all means, start one. In here Queenbee means the billions of years she finds existence, not just the thousands the Bible demands.

• Master Mind likes this
Lo

#52 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:40 PM

Guys, get a room please. Anything with Bible-quoting or even the words "God" or "Jesus" in here is not allowed by the topic starter; she has been plain obvious about that. Now if you would like to start another Religion-topic, or rather Bible-topic, then by all means, start one. In here Queenbee means the billions of years she finds existence, not just the thousands the Bible demands.

Religion and consciousness go hand in hand Lo. Indeed I don't think you can find an answer any other way.

But anyhow, we're not getting in the way of a more focused topic here, as there doesn't seem to be any more posts about consciousness, and as you know topics evolve.

• Master Mind likes this

#53 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

That being said, there is still the distinctive wish of the original topicstarter not to fall back on Religion. Again, if you wish to start a Bible-class, please do so. This forum is at your disposal. But this topic is inappropriate. If I'm wrong, I am sure Queenbee will correct me.

I am never a person to lock a topic. I was not satisfied when the Religion topic was closed down. This proves my point. It is wrong to say there isn't anything more to say about Consciousness, just as it was to conclude there wasn't anything more to say about Religion.

And these two, obviously, do not go hand in hand for everyone.

Lo

#54 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

If people want to move some of my recent postings that don't reference consciousness I would accept it, and I doubt Gary would mind either.

But also I don't think any original poster necessarily has the right to decide what does or doesn't get posted in their thread.

#55 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

As I said... sadly it isn't possible to move it over.

So please start another Religion topic then.

Lo

#56 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:18 PM

Edit: I changed my mind. I respect your position as Moderator and since my recent posts have nothing to do with consciousness, (not just because they reference the Bible) I will start a new thread.

Edited by Kernel Mustard, 07 October 2016 - 06:34 PM.

• Master Mind likes this

#57 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

As I said... sadly it isn't possible to move it over.

So please start another Religion topic then.

#58 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Great. And I agree with you about evolution. But it is in any Mod's perogative to adhere topicstarter's requests. So last time another Mod closed down Religion per request.

All I am saying now is it is my perogative to defend a topic where the topicstarter obviously is chased by hurricanes. Literally. But she has clearly proclaimed her intentions with this topic.
Lo

#59 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,084 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:12 AM

Lonello I want to thank you for defending this topic, but it wasn't necessary. I am not anti-Christian, but the goal of this topic was not to get bogged down in religious dogma and scripture. From the time we are born we are programmed. Whether it's our parents, the church, school, friends or the school of hard knocks.

Self awareness and reflection is not commonly found. As I said humans flutter from one thought to the next most of their lives. We have a relatively poor grasp of history in the US and kindness is often perceived as weakness. Compassion for other humans is learned behavior and it is not an easy lesson. It appears we live in a dog eat dog world and left to our own devices the strong will always rule over the weak. Wall Street is filled with sociopaths. It's almost a prerequisite.

So when I sit quietly alone in meditation or simply self reflection, I listen to the sounds of the bird chirping, smell the grass or flowers and my senses are alive. Maybe I see a sunset or a rainbow and I am in awe. I feel very fortunate that I am able to perceive all these things. I don't feel the need to attribute this sensation to a God or a Higher Power. It is what it is and my perceptions overwhelm me with what I refer to as bliss or simply beauty. Some people rarely feel joy and when they look at rose, all they see and feel are the thorns. 

Most of the players here are much younger than I am. When the hourglass of time seems like more days are behind me than in front it has changed my perception or awareness. I feel I am growing more conscious or more aware. Life seems more precious.

My fear is not to lose my life more than it is to lose the memories. They are as fragile as butterfly wings. When I was in my 30-50s I was a busy bee. Running around trying to get more of everything. More was better than less. I had good times and bad times, but now they are just filed away in the synapsis of my brain. Some I remember fondly and some I cannot find at all.

I can only tell you what my brain receives from my 5 senses. I see people who live out their days in nursing homes cut off from their family and losing their memories. They are confused. Whether this is natural order of things is irrelevant to me. They are losing who they were. They cannot discern reality from a dream. So I start to wonder what is the difference between reality and a dream? When I am dreaming it all seems real, but when I am awake I cannot recall the dreams or they don't make sense. They don't fit.

I'll be the first to say I don't know how I got here or what happens when one dies. I don't find it odd that the younger people who make up most of Stratego Forum do not question their very existence. I am not surprised that some are drawn to religion as a means of explaining the unexplainable. 

Science has made significant advances in the last hundred years. We now have interstate highways, automobiles, fly in jumbo jets all over the world, connect with each other via cell phones that reach across the globe and many more modern technological advances have given us freedom from lives of drudgery and dawn to dusk workdays. All this while much of the world suffers from food insecurity, limited or no access to clean water, modern plumbing, basic electricity and healthcare.

One day technology will take us to the stars. Perhaps we will find a means of travel beyond the speed of light and colonize habitable planets. We may even one day discover how the universe came into existence. Hopefully we will evolve beyond the need for a meatsuit and the wetware we call a brain. However, right now medical science can prove that the human body is a universe unto itself.

Unlike some who await the end of days, I look forward to the future generations with hope and adventure. I won't live in this lifeform to experience it, but some of you just might. Perhaps my consciousness will evolve and I will be able to overcome time and space. To travel anywhere in the blink of an eye.

I sometimes imagine reincarnation and I think of this quote as well. “We choose our next world through what we learn in this one. Learn nothing, and the next world is the same as this one, all the same limitations and lead weights to overcome.” 

Maybe “We will begin to touch the heavens in the moment that we touch conscious perfection. And that isn’t going a thousand miles an hour, or a million, or traveling at the speed of light. Because any number is a limit, and perfection doesn’t have limits. Perfect speed, is being there.”

This all sound great and is stored in my memories, but right now I am limited by my lack of understanding. Even this game can befuddle me as I make the same mistakes over and over again, but sometimes I am listening to my teacher and I can see the game clearly, I think "aha now I get it!" Then I come crashing back to earth again.

Some say it is not getting knocked down that matters. It is getting back up to try again.

Edited by queenbee1, 09 October 2016 - 06:52 AM.

#60 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,084 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:45 AM

I am watching the new program on HBO called Westworld.

They create a world in which artificial life exists to do the bidding of the "Guests." The AIs are called "Hosts." The thought experiment is if you cannot tell the difference between an AI and Humans are they conscious? There are no rules or laws for Guests in Westworld. They may do as they please with and to their AI hosts. If the choice is to take a host sexually or kill a host just because you can that is part of the game. Is it any different that taking a hammer to a toaster or any other machine? After all they are not human.

I brought up the concept of Artificial Super Intelligence in a Topic about AI cars that have already been created and one day will drive us in the near future. Can you imagine a computer that can outthink and outperform humans like the HAL 9000 from movie 2001: A Space Odyssey actually feel pain or dream? Did Dave the star who removed HAL's memories chips out of self defense, in essence kill HAL? Can we kill humanoids? Will the machines take over as they did in The Terminator or The Matrix. Finding humans as the enemy to their idea of a more perfect world.

Some of the greatest minds on this planet say this creation is inevitable. Will it be alive or like a god? I don't think most people think of their cell phones or computers as real. Tonight 60 minutes did a segment on AI that brings up real ethical questions.

Another thought I had was about when we start cloning humans. Do you imagine we will be able to buy them? Just as in Star Wars they can be made into a army of disposable soldiers, as domestics or as slaves for that matter. We are already able to grow embryos in test tubes for up to 2 weeks and are when they die is it any different from those who are aborted from the womb?

Eventually we will then be able to create life and use DNA manipulation to create the biggest strongest athletes or workers to do the most dangerous jobs?  Could we then start cloning beings that are not prone to disease and old age? Would they have a soul? Would they be given the same inalienable human rights and be subject to human laws?

Who will raise them? I find it interesting that some people consider themselves pro life, but want nothing to do with the responsibility of an unwanted pregnancy. No one can be forced to raise a child and there are simply not enough people who want to adopt. What happens when these children turn out to be maladjusted. Can the person who adopted them return them? I think after a certain time and counselling the adoptive adult does have that option now.

Edited by queenbee1, 10 October 2016 - 10:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users