#221 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

That's not what the book of ASStroanity says at 19:1 at all, Gary. I thought you were part of that religion now?

PS
This is -not- the Religion topic!

Lo

#222 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,557 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

That's not what the book of ASStroanity says at 19:1 at all, Gary. I thought you were part of that religion now?

PS
This is -not- the Religion topic!

There is no "religion" by that name, Lo.  It was merely an idle moment mental exercise by astros who vulgared it up a bit for the extra biting effect.  If there is a "book" for it, what, pray tell, does say at 19:1? 

No, this is not the religion topic.  But consciousness and religious matters are inseparable Siamese Twins, invariably falling back toward a First Cause.   

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#223 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,455 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

The religious text of ASStroanity is actually written in the 4th dimension and as such doesn't have ordered chapter and verse.
  • Unladen Swallow likes this

#224 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

But consciousness and religious matters are inseparable Siamese Twins, invariably falling back toward a First Cause.   

Religion is a taught. All human are born with consciousness whether they are Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or just don't care. Each has a very different opinion about what consciousness is.

#225 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:43 AM

There is no moral authority other than we love them and don't want them to suffer or we choose death so as not to suffer a painful death.

I understand the sentiment.  Nobody wants their loved ones to suffer.  There’s still a right and wrong though and that can’t be determined by our feelings because those will vary.  We might feel one way today and another tomorrow, another loved one might feel differently than we do, etc.  I’m going to back away from assisted suicide though.  My gut is that it’s wrong but as I’ve worked through my logic I’ve had trouble.  I can also cast doubt on the pro side so I’m not saying it’s right.  I just need to put more effort into this before I try to talk about it.  I am comfortable arguing that euthanasia of an incapacitated person is wrong though.  Assuming that person can be sustained with reasonable effort.  This is simply because there’s not a justifiable reason for killing an innocent.   

As far as the financial aspects go I don’t think it’s necessary to do absolutely everything possible to keep someone going.  Financial burdens are a reality though.  But we can’t devolve to killing people for expedience.

You bring up religion a lot, but I don’t see any of this relying on a religious argument. 

#226 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:23 AM

I sometimes need to use labels because there is not one belief system there are many. I cannot lump them all together, because they are all very different. Buddhists don't even have a god. Hindu's have many, Jews do not believe that Jesus is the savior and the closest religion to Christianity is Islam.

Born on an island in the Pacific you can live your whole life and never hear anything about religions. So they tend to create their own gods based on superstition. Religion is not innate it is learned. If there is no proof, then how does a religion lay claim to a close relationship with Consciousness? What some people do with the unexplainable is to attribute it to their god.

That is my point. Religion is much closer to politics that the study of consciousness. I wouldn't even mention Religion unless using it for contrast to my own muddled ideas. I hold no universal truths. I don't know what started creation or how I became self aware or what happens when we die. 

I think I have made my opinions clear on the right to die. I don't think anyone is unclear about my position.

The most important thing is to keep things in perspective, to allow others freedom of expression (as long as they do not harm others) and do whatever I can to keep this vehicle (that is my body) going. I cannot change most people's POV. However, I am capable of defending mine.

I believe that in our life we should follow our instincts, but when at the polls to think what is best for all people. Voting is no time to be thinking only of yourself. Walk a mile in the other people's shoes before voting. Vote for freedom for all people because one size doesn't fit everyone. Not everyone gets lucky. Some work hard all their life, go to church every Sunday raise a family and still in their final years have nothing. The kids move away, the spouse passes away and they are left all alone. Some of them you see walking between cars asking for a hand out. Some of them are mentally ill and unemployable.

Life is very complex and requires compassion for those who are different or simply had bad luck. I would never vote against someone for being religious.

#227 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think you will find that retirement is "having the time to notice all the things you didn't have time to notice. " Queenbee

See if you can enter. All it takes is to disengage from the machine. I am my own best friend and worst critic, but today all I could think of was simple things like breathing. All the endorphin's firing off in my brain with each breath in and each breath out. Then if it gets really quiet you hear things like a grasshopper at your feet. 

Peace and Goodwill Toward all Men (and women).

#228 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted A week ago

When you have 3 hours here is another podcast about consciousness. I am very ill right now with the flu. I am on my 4th day and I am not better. Already been to the ER due to my being a high risk. The flu shots in the US were about 15% effective. Hospital staff are all young kids now to me. Very smart kids and compassionate. Best thing to do with this podcast is to listen in parts or not at all. Being very sick makes me appreciate my health. 

Consciousness and the Self

• pasxalistz and IOLAUS1926 like this

#229 IOLAUS1926

IOLAUS1926

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted A week ago

When you have 3 hours here is another podcast about consciousness. I am very ill right now with the flu. I am on my 4th day and I am not better. Already been to the ER due to my being a high risk. The flu shots in the US were about 15% effective. Hospital staff are all young kids now to me. Very smart kids and compassionate. Best thing to do with this podcast is to listen in parts or not at all. Being very sick makes me appreciate my health. 

Consciousness and the Self

:( <3

member of ΣΕΡΡΕΣ STRATEGO team

#230 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 days ago

I hope you get better soon, QB.

#231 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 4 days ago

I do hope they've got the diagnosis right, Queenbee. My best friend told me he had the flue too. Now he's in the IC on life support heald in a sustainable coma. It turns out it is the legionellabacteria which had been investing for weeks while he was never the wiser. I understand it's a costly affair, healthcare in the US, but I do hope they cover tests for you there so you'll know for sure what it is you're feeling ill upon.

Lo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users