TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Dear Readers,

Welcome to the inaugural edition of The Pioneer - the Champions League 2016 newspaper that brings you all the incredible stories, hilarious gossip and ground-breaking news you could wish for, and much much less.

Tension is mounting and the excitement is palpable as the close of Registration for Champions League 2016 is only 96 hours away (http://forum.strateg...6-registration/).

Coming soon, the Champions League Preview.

This newspaper is currently hiring journalists. (Applications by PM)

#2 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

Many moons ago on a desolate dark battlefield the great Spartan Warrior army met defeat at the hands of the evil CFLAG in a historic two day battle.  On the first day CFLAG conspired with his allies to storm across the very bridges that he promised to burn and they crushed the Spartan Warrior's right flank and collapsed the center of the army - outnumbered 20 to one defeat seemed certain - but Spartan Warriors rallied and nearly won before CFLAG withdrew from the field.  The 2nd day, The Spartan Warrior general for the only time in his entire life halted the attack and met defeat.  Since that day CFLAG has done everything in his power to ensure that the Spartan Warrior army can never again threaten his kingdom.  He imposed martial law, banned steel and iron from our lands, forbid the training of our young men and sought to turn Sparta into a wasteland ruled by his terrible brother-in-law.

But secretly, over many years........A new generation of Spartan Warriors have trained to fight - and learned and studied and endured.  And now the new Spartan Warrior army has emerged from the shadow of CFLAG's tyrannical rule.  Despair has turned to hope all through Sparta as CFLAG's rule has been overthrown!!!  And a new Spartan Warrior General has rallied all Spartan Warriors to march on CFLAG's kingdom, defeat him once and for all and return Sparta to Greatness!!!!!

TC - we ask only that you do not allow CFLAG's allies to protect him - Give us CFLAG's Group!!!!!!

CFLAG - ​Spartan Warriors ARE ON THE MARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kambia and cflag like this

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#3 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

As are their exclamation points. :)
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#4 Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

I feel as though I just walked up to a great Colosseum. As I am looking at the vast height of the walls that appear to circle what I would consider to be the biggest structure I have ever seen. Believe it or not it is not the size of the structure that really makes me sweat but rather almost 80 valiant warriors I know will not go down to one knee. What I find most intimidating is the great confidence I see all around me, I realize at once that even the weakest of opponents could fatally wound those that terrify the arena. With such a will to win among us, is anyone safe?
As we are all eyeing each other waiting for the doors to the Colosseum to open the first thought that pops into my head is "may the blood bath begin".

Some warriors have spent months sharpening their iron for this battle, some have spent months finding the most versatile weapon while others have decided to go with a more indirect approach preparing with traps and wards. Some have even found it a pleasure to rest in their confidence by taking some time off of training. What we see is a gathering of many different techniques and plans but all with the same goal. Soon we will see whose strategy's and preparations reward with success. I know their will be a spotlight for this Final test. As the contestants turn into victims, we will see a grand majority fall under a skill proven to work. A true warrior revealed in due time! Will this warrior rise from a crevice hidden by the shadows or fly down from the heavens to receive his award! Only time will tell.

As the gates start to open and tickets are taken one by one. Final Fantasy is next in line to give his ticket of admittance. The gate keeper notices that the ticket has a different name on it then the one this fellow has been going by. Final Fantasy slowly lifts his head tugging lightly on the back of his hood to reveal his eyes. The gatekeeper takes notice of the identity of the man behind the hood. The hooded man lowers his hood and waits patiently before the gatekeeper waves his hand of acceptance. As the hooded man walks through the gates, the gatekeeper whispers something only the hooded man could here "unfortunately to many, success will only be a Fantasy".

The hooded man thought about what the gatekeeper had said obsessively. After much thought and not knowing why the gatekeeper said this to him, he rested with this "success is a fantasy only to those that dream about winning. Success becomes a reality when you dream about maneuvering." Final Fantasy reminded himself at this point that he must focus on maneuvering and everything else will take care of itself.

The hooded man walked to a corner and sat down to rest and prepare for the upcoming tests! He knew that knowledge alone would not brand him successful but application, rest, and eating well. Before his mind fades into a restful state he considers the competition and knows this will be a tough road. This thought puts a grin on his face and he falls asleep.

FF

#5 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

I am standing outside the Colosseum in absolute awe. The 100ft walls strike fear and trepidation into the hearts of any of us lucky enough to witness this glorious structure. Ornate marble depictions of Stratego pieces adorn the walls and there's a distinct eeriness that fills the air, confusing your senses. I swear the spy carved into the arch above just winked at me.

Outside the walls clusters of kids swarm around Stratego boards (classic pieces of course), dreaming that one day they would have the honour to play here at the venue that hosts the return of the Champions League.

Beyond the main entrance, this year's flock of players contending for glory also buzz around the noticeboard, where a manuscript has just been pinned announcing the draw for the Group Stage.

A hooded figure passes in my periphery and for the briefest of moments I thought it was Final Fantasy - an ancient journalistic nemesis. Surely he can't have returned to renew our rivalry? I must be imagining things - I mean I saw him die. It's the mystery of this place that compels in you a sense of unease and a feeling of power - just out of reach of your fingertips.

A couple of players are practically jostling for position to glimpse sight of the manuscript on the noticeboard. There's always a group of death. Which unfortunate hopefuls have been landed in a group that destines them for early elimination? I'm going to have to wait until the queue subsides. My boss won't be happy - I'm meant to have written the preview by tonight. But 76 players are straining to study a rusty scroll no bigger than a Stratego board.

As I sit down in the shadows to escape the beating sun, a cloud of dust drifts into my face. I can taste the history. A market vendor hobbles over to me, presenting a basket of sandwiches. What have you got, I ask. Marmite - 2 Battlecoins - he grumbles. And I'm home.

#6 Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

Final Fantasy was abruptly awakened by two contestants discussing the results of the first several matches. He quickly navigated his way to the Colosseum lobby to find the final announcement on the notice board. As Final Fantasy approached, he noticed an old rival he was surprised he had not seen until now...Javier Flag. Final Fantasy avoided Javier Flag in hopes of keeping his presence secret. " I wonder if Javier saw me? He would not have known me after the...(Final Fantasy drifts off into a haunting flashback). "Why must I continue with this turmoil?" he thought. "It was a long time ago." What troubled Final Fantasy was that he was certain Javier Flag had not forgotten. How could he? They were young, amateurs, barely making it to the silver level when that was all you could make it to. They had changed a lot but Final Fantasy was still stuck in the past. Almost feeling ashamed, he hides his face behind the hood. Not only from the shame, but he also knows the threat that gives him terrifying nightmares could still be real. He almost envy's Javier's freedom, for him freedom is only a fantasy.

Final Fantasy studies the notice board for awhile and after doing so, he comes to the conclusion that groups 5,7,8,10 and 15 would be the toughest for the lowest seed to make it out alive. Recognizing the name of his opponent, Final Fantasy knew this was not the place to prepare for the match to come. As he turned to find the place he would be battling his opponent, he noticed huge words high above the doors circling the entire room.

The Colosseum lobby had twelve corridors all leading to other corridors. Above one corridor had the words Spring Tournament. Above another read, Rankings. Another had Winter Tournament written and yet another with the letters "WCO" that shined brighter than any of the rest. He noticed that a few other corridors had written over them Moderator Home Office, Federations, Archives and King of the Arenas. As he was turning he saw the corridor for the Champions League.

Final Fantasy was amazed at the history, activity and vast amount of space the Colosseum allows for. He turned to follow signs for the champions league lobby which he knew he would find everything he needs to know their. After searching the Champions League and making an arrangement for his own match, Final Fantasy decides to stroll over to the Champions League arena to find potential upsets that would be interesting to watch.

FF

Edited by Final Fantasy, 13 August 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#7 Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:50 PM

As Final Fantasy is watching a very exciting match someone comes up from behind him gets him in a head lock. He feels himself being drug from the arena seats to a small crevice in the corner behind some props. Before he knows it, he is being thrown into a dark room. Final Fantasy feels his hood being tugged back for his identity to be revealed by his perpetrator. As his hood comes back Final Fantasy notices his attacker!!!

http://imgur.com/a/EUpvt

Final Fantasy told Sadistic that he will not allow him to leave after seeing his face. After the battle Final Fantasy changed his mind because it finishesd something like this..http://imgur.com/a/uP5lE

He  felt bad for the guy and wanted let him go. It kind of reminded him of what it would feel like if a pit bull was coming straight at you and then landed his jaws around your wrist with no teeth. You would not want to kill the dog, you would chuckle at the feeling, pet it and tell it to go away even if it did want to tare you to shreds.

Final Fantasy told him to leave through the sewage tunnels or stay down there at least until the end of the Champions League. Sadistic told him he would stay because the Colosseum would not allow him to leave. Final Fantasy did not know what he meant by that and it made him feel as though someone was watching him. After the tiresome situation and locking up the latch leading down to the sewers Final Fantasy decided to go back to the Champions League arena and finish watching the very exciting match that has probably finished by now.

Edited by Final Fantasy, 15 August 2016 - 01:53 AM.

#8 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:49 PM

You beat sadistic, but why do you feel the need to post about it? More incredible feats have been accomplished in life. More importantly, why won't you tell us your main identity? 

Are you Wogomite aka Random Setup?

http://forum.strateg...0-random-setup/

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#9 Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:02 AM

You beat sadistic, but why do you feel the need to post about it? More incredible feats have been accomplished in life. More importantly, why won't you tell us your main identity? 

I am just trying to have fun. You may be new around here for you to question or not find the inside joke to finding Sadistic mysteriously and then making a creativity story about it. This thread was created by TC as a newspaper to be creative with.

Regarding your more accomplished feats...the next time you bring something up that you have done like gain 1000 elo or accuse someone of playing poorly should we throw in your face that their are more important things to listen to then you??  Why did it hit such a soft spot with you that I am trying to enjoy my time at the website by making a fictional story with a banned player in it? Did I offend you for having a voice and expressing it without your permission on what I can write about? 

I encourage TC to hide this post and the post by sevenseas.

Edited by Final Fantasy, 15 August 2016 - 02:05 AM.

#10 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

I am part of TC and there's nothing wrong with your posts here. Indeed it's quite fun for others to get creative and involved in writing their own stories.

I just don't understand why you would feel the need to post screenshots of your victories in this topic.. it seems a bit random and out of place, no? 

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#11 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

Day 8 of the Champions League and 8 games played so far. There are 22 matches to be packed into this week, as many players seem reluctant to book their first appearance in the formidable and daunting Colosseum battlegrounds. It's completely understandable of course - having paid upwards of 10 battlecoins just for a standing ticket in the stalls, these spectators expect nothing less than the best. Only last week a player got booed for scouting the same piece twice.

Many players are listening to the Olympics on the radio attempting to draw inspiration from US, China and Great Britain - the current top 3 in the medals table. Television and wireless phones are banned in the Colosseum - organisers deemed it not in keeping with the history of this tournament. It has led to the absurd situation where hundreds of spectators are walking around lost - they just don't know how to meet their friends without a phone in their pocket.

It's been a very quiet opening week - almost too quiet. The players are uneasy and you can sense it in the warm and uncomfortable air. It's much unlike the party atmosphere of SpringTourn. Doubt lingers in the atmosphere, waiting for Chanpions to fall, and fall they will (but not for a few weeks yet).

Edited by Javier Flag, 15 August 2016 - 06:05 PM.

#12 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:34 AM

I am amazed at the quality of this tournament. We're fortunate on the site to have such an excellent operator team of TheOptician and his skilled and able helpers, sevenseas and Mr. Smith.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#13 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

Spartan Warriors have marched for a week....looking for any sign of CFLAG's army.

The flags of JohnK1980, maxroelofs, Yellowhat, and Don Mitsos are all we can find.  All known CFLAG allies & mercenaries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JohnK, Max, Yellow, Don,

Ask yourself.  Why has the mighty CFLAG fled and left us to fight Spartan Warriors?  What awaits our troops?  And more importantly our kingdoms????  What happens to those that stand in the path of the Spartan Warriors??????

There is no need to sacrifice your troops and kingdoms fighting for CFLAG!!!  Lay down your arms and pledge loyalty to the true king of the battlefield!!!  And you can live in peace and enjoy prosperity and freedom!!!!  Why bring certain death and destruction to your kingdom?

The time is growing near to making your choice.  Choose wisely!!!!!!

• queenbee1 likes this

​Spartan Warriors

#14 roeczak

roeczak

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

Written from the Colosseum

I can confirm what a great experience for us beginner players the CL is - I was below 400 when I played sevenseas(900) and he made easy work of me because I made a mistake many silver players made and revealed my Marshal too easily . I have since changed my strategy and have risen through the ranks to become almost 550. In the ranked games room of the Colosseum I found one of the strong German players and was able to give him a good game -although in the end his Miner helped by a spy beat my lonesome Lieutenant. I believe I am now ready for my second battle- are you?

See you on the battlefield

Roeczak
  • Späher, Aris1970, TheOptician and 2 others like this

Highest rating : 838 (Platinum Major)

#15 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

After a three day march, Spartan Warriors came upon the flag of JohnK.1980.  We warned him of the consequences of engaging Spartan Warriors.  We offered him peace and prosperity under our rule.  But his loyalty to CFLAG or his debt to CFLAG or sheer madness led him to attack the Spartan Warrior army.

Spartan Warriors quickly realized that many traps had been set on this battlefield.  Perhaps against lesser warriors the traps would have been successful, but Spartan Warriors sniffed them out and quickly identified how the enemy's army was laid out on the battlefield.  It took some tough fighting and guile on the part of Spartan Warriors to identify the headquarter's of JohnK's army.  Then we executed a flank attack that the enemy could not overcome and as Spartan Warriors were overrunning the headquarters what was left of his army surrendered.

---------------------------

Max, Yellow, Don,

Now you have more than words!!!!  Look around you!  Do you see CFLAG and his army coming to your aid???????  John's kingdom has been overrun.  Needless death and destruction foisted upon his citizens.  But now his citizens are free!!!  And they joined with Spartan Warriors!!!!!!!

You know that your kingdoms have already heard what transpired today.  Soon your outposts will hear the ground shake, fear will run through their veins, your citizens will rise up and demand freedom.  For they know what faces them when Spartan Warrior invade.

And everyone knows that.............................. SPARTAN WARRIORS ARE ON THE MARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• The Maestro, cflag and queenbee1 like this

​Spartan Warriors

#16 roeczak

roeczak

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

When I walked into the room for my second battle, i had only one goal : not losing again. I knew I was a worse and less experienced player than my opponent, but I tried to give my best effort. In the end, he offered me a Draw, which I took and walked out of the room. Since then the question has always flashed in my mind : could I have won? Did I accept the draw out of fear? I tried to clear my head as I am preparing for my third battle - a kid, but a well-known prodigy who beat the favorite last round. I convince my self that at least he won't be getting nothing easy.

see you on the battlefield, roeczak

( Was I right to accept draw? Visit http://forum.strateg...raw/#entry66586 to give your opinion )

• cflag and pasxalistz like this

Highest rating : 838 (Platinum Major)

#17 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:33 AM

After disposing of JohnK.1980 Spartan Warriors marched north to the kingdom of Maxroelofs.  He used delaying tactics hoping Spartan Warriors might leave his kingdom but we did not!  We quickly attacked only to hit a bomb and find his right flank was set up as a devious trap!!!  (Why do all of CFLAG's allies try to set traps as opposed to coming out and fighting????).  As the battle progressed Spartan Warriors realized all the key battalions of the enemy's army. But on this day Spartan Warriors were not able to capitalize.  We had miscommunication and lost a key 4 stranded on the left flank.  Then we saw two miners fall when they forgot they are there only to defuse bombs and not attack.  Soon we found ourselves outnumbered and though we fought bravely at the end Max had a four and miner and we only had a seven.  The Spartan Warrior flag fell..........

But the good news is that this was just our advance army.  The main Spartan Warrior army is now marching west and we will be circling back to take care of Max in the near future!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------

Don and Yellow,

Note that Max is not marching his army out to chase the main Spartan Warrior army.  That should tell you all you need to know!!!!  CFLAG isn't coming and neither is Max!!!!  The grand alliance is falling apart!!!!  Save your kingdoms and accept the terms for peace!!!

Because everyone knows that SPARTAN WARRIORS ARE ON THE MARCH!!!!!!!!!

• maxroelofs and cflag like this

​Spartan Warriors

#18 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,427 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

How is it that the experienced and battle-hardened SPARTAN WARRIORS do not know the names of their officer's ranks?  Any warrior referring to his commanding major or fellow sergeant as a "four" or a "seven" needs to be severely disciplined! 

• Lonello likes this

#19 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

Are you Wogomite aka Random Setup?

http://forum.strateg...0-random-setup/

Yo Final,

You're actin' like a coward, just shows how pathetic your life is.

I asked you, Sevenseas did the same but you're havin' an identity crisis!

Who are you dude? You act like you're the king, the man of surprises

who thinks he's so big, it's a new symptom and it's called elephantitis! :D

Wow, you won against Sadistic,....that must have been an elegant fight sjit!

Two braggers for the price of one and both yell : "I'm the nicest!" :D

You're a good player, I can smell you're a wise kid

but who cares if you're a heavyweight or a welter with fighttricks? 

I'm tellin' it quite sick, well and decisive, compellin' the right bizz

to claim you both are trash compared to Satan who's the hell in your life bitsj! ;)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#20 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

Spartan Warriors have no ranks or other such things on the battlefield.  We are all Spartan Warriors!!!!   Just like we laugh at ELO, ignore cries of "lotto", and refuse to believe scouts should be able to attack from distance, we also have no time for "titles".

And as Prof found out a few days ago, fancy equations cannot stop Spartan Warriors either!!!!!!!

• The Prof and Napoleon 1er like this

​Spartan Warriors

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users