donald.mallard

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:22 AM

Hi bletchfo, I tried your site, And it keeps kicking me off. It reads " SSL certifacate not found. 

Not sure if this on your end or mine.

I never got a opponent in the pool. I will try playing again tomorrow. 

complaint department is on strike.

if you dislike a joke, not my problem. Sue me.

#22 ScottLafaro

ScottLafaro

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

Super clean! I like it!

thus spoke zarathustra

#23 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:54 PM

Just a quick update,

I mirrored the board for blue as requested check it out at dev.stratego.io, if you guys could test the mirrored play and give feedback, that'd help.

I'm still working on SMT implementation at this stage.

I'm also reworking the frontend in reactjs using material-ui to allow for settings and various other things that are tricky with my current UI (things like European numbering etc.)

Again, if I could have a hand testing blue's mirrored board on dev.stratego.io that'd be great!

--------------------------------------------

Hi bletchfo, I tried your site, And it keeps kicking me off. It reads " SSL certifacate not found. 

Not sure if this on your end or mine.

I never got a opponent in the pool. I will try playing again tomorrow. 

Hi donald.mallard,

That's strange, the site doesn't have an SSL. Are you hitting https://www.stratego.io/ or http://www.stratego.io/? Currently http is correct, I should probably setup a redirect from https to http. 

If that still doesn't help you, are you on an up to date browser and not behind some sort of proxy?

--------------------------------------------

Super clean! I like it!

Thanks!

Edited by bletchfo, 07 August 2016 - 11:54 PM.

• Lonello likes this

#24 donald.mallard

donald.mallard

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:58 PM

Http.

My browser is up to date.  what's a proxy exactly?

I'm somewhat tech savvy. Not that much though.

#25 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:13 AM

Http.

My browser is up to date.  what's a proxy exactly?

I'm somewhat tech savvy. Not that much though.

Just a computer you bounce off before hitting a network (the web in this case), it acts as a kind of firewall. Simply, instead of {Your Computer} -> {Internet} it's more like {Your Computer} -> {Proxy Computer} -> {Internet}.

Could you please send a screenshot of the failed loading of stratego.io to contact@benl.com.au ? Thanks for your hand in figuring this out, it's important at this stage to sort kinks out.

Edited by bletchfo, 08 August 2016 - 12:13 AM.

• donald.mallard likes this

#26 donald.mallard

donald.mallard

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:35 AM

never mind bletchfo, it disappeared.

• bletchfo likes this

#27 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:23 AM

First of all, very much thanks to the great job! You might be hitting something good here.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a casual affair or something concrete for stratego. You see there are some real heavyweights on this site here, championship winners, players with infinite number of games played experience under their belt, and players around the world. All would offer you the best (and correct) advice to build a site for stratego. I say this because, looking back, I realised this site can't be considered as a half-completed project. The right term I would use is it is just an experimental site (for some commercial reasons).

The Dutch and Greek federations are among those who contributed significantly to the promotion of stratego. Take some time and browse through the forum links here to see the work they have done.

For the blueprint of your site, and if you are intending to see it through for a long time to come, I think it is critical to put certain things right from the start. Two points:-

1. Rigid player registration system with no multiaccounts/cheating. Like I said, this is your decision to make this a casual site or a stratego site with real players. If you want a ranking system, make it count. Don't make it look like a joke.

2. As there are no referees present in a live game, there must be a way to draw the game. The number of players,fake accounts,cheaters,saboteurs,you-name-it intentionally ruining the gameplaying experience of genuine players by draw-refusing and dragging a simple game into mighty hours - the list is incredible. Take a look at the top forum thread viewcount complaints under the topic of Draw Refusals.

You can solicit feedback from the experienced players here how to best tackle this. An autodraw? Like in chess where the game ends after 50 move of no pawn capture? Or there is also the popular method of a overall game timer.

Best of luck, and wish you success.

A minnow in Southeast Asia

• Lonello and donald.mallard like this

#28 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hi kokokitty,

Firstly, thanks for the detailed comments and advice.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a casual affair or something concrete for stratego. 

It would be great if my site could one day become the go-to for online stratego. That'd be great.

1. Rigid player registration system with no multiaccounts/cheating. Like I said, this is your decision to make this a casual site or a stratego site with real players. If you want a ranking system, make it count. Don't make it look like a joke.

Working on this, it will probably be a google login with an ELO system.

2. As there are no referees present in a live game, there must be a way to draw the game. The number of players,fake accounts,cheaters,saboteurs,you-name-it intentionally ruining the gameplaying experience of genuine players by draw-refusing and dragging a simple game into mighty hours - the list is incredible. Take a look at the top forum thread viewcount complaints under the topic of Draw Refusals.

Good advice... everything should be decided by a computer - my preference would be a fair game would never need a referee - that's why I'm implementing rules like SMT etc.

Best of luck, and wish you success.

A minnow in Southeast Asia

Thanks! stratego.io v2 is coming along and I think you'll all be quite pleased. It is cleaner, faster and will have far more options. 

Edited by bletchfo, 09 August 2016 - 03:49 AM.

#29 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:06 AM

Not sure if u know whos-who around here, but I can put down a list for u here, I may have missed out a couple of good names or newcomers because I am no longer as active. Anyone else would be glad to offer their kind advice here.

Luckypapa, midnightguy, garyshelton, theoptician, karaiskaskis, the maestro they offer plenty of ways to improve site experience. From ranking leaderboard dynamics to avatar customisation options, u name it.

Maxroeflos(with his instructional video teaching guides), nortrom, satan-nl, sohal, morx, gpet0, manning2cruz are among the gameplay masters.

I share with u how I found this site. One day my colleague told me he was pretty bored at home so I googled "multiplayer online game" to help... I did have a very brief yet memorable playing experience with a simple stratego game when I was a kid, but I wasn't thinking of googling stratego actually in fact I forgot all about it. And the stratego.com site registered a hit with my google search, I clicked on it, had so much fun that I forgot all about my friend, the rest is history.... Just so u know, "MMO" may be much more useful than "Stratego".

-kokokitty specializes in crushing beginners-

#30 Caesar101

Caesar101

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:21 AM

Wow, it really looks like it has a lot of potential.

After you make those aforementioned changes, all you need is advertising! I'm sure a ton of players will flock over to your new site.

All I hope is that this site wont become a ghost town after stratego.io becomes popular :)

#31 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

This game has a very wide reach. If u succeed this will be big.

We even have Emperor Napoleon1er playing here who is among the top-ranked. There is a scottrussia(is he from Russia?) barbarian warlord who commands spartanwarriors. Lonello is a great chess player who is equally great in stratego.

#32 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hi kokokitty and Caesar101,

Thanks for the kind words and advice :)

#33 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

Lonello is a great chess player who is equally great in stratego

Lol, how did you know ^_^  :D ?! 

And if I am equally good then there's a correlation to be made here: I am no. 10.000 of my country in chess. What makes me that in Stratego? Stratego puzzle no. 31  :rolleyes:

Besides me being a chess player I do have a big list of recommendations for you, bletchfo, to make your game supreme. I've gathered those within MT the last couple of years. But I don't want to cloud things... THE most important is the SMT. Hope you can get that one right B)  :o  :lol:.

• kokokitty and donald.mallard like this
Lo

#34 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

I've gathered those within MT the last couple of years. But I don't want to cloud things... THE most important is the SMT. 

Agree - working on it :)

Edited by bletchfo, 10 August 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#35 donald.mallard

donald.mallard

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

Lol, how did you know ^_^  :D ?! 

And if I am equally good then there's a correlation to be made here: I am no. 10.000 of my country in chess. What makes me that in Stratego? Stratego puzzle no. 31  :rolleyes:

Besides me being a chess player I do have a big list of recommendations for you, bletchfo, to make your game supreme. I've gathered those within MT the last couple of years. But I don't want to cloud things... THE most important is the SMT. Hope you can get that one right B)  :o  :lol:.

I never knew you played chess. I have a account on chess.com. We should play sometime Lo.

What exactly is the SMT?

Rules or code?

#36 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:11 PM

What exactly is the SMT?

Rules or code?

It's a proposed improvement to the current rules.  Details found here:  http://forum.strateg...tegoio/?p=65165

#37 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,050 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:28 PM

Awesome to see someone who is actively putting in time and effort to improve things.

1 other suggestion for draw refusals and abusive behaviour is to have a watch option with (selected) volunteer admins i.e. the MT team now, but with kicking rights, and banning etc. Also is a great addition if you ever want to run tournaments. We had this at a site called metaforge, and the big tourney games would get good crowds.

All the best with it, and hope we're not overloading you with requests. I think we are just all a bit excited to see someone who knows how to do stuff doing it. ;)

Regards,

Losermaker

--Edit--: the watch option should be able to be selected by the host, as some people don't like being watched (for scouting setups etc)

Edited by Losermaker, 11 August 2016 - 11:31 PM.

• Lonello likes this

#38 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Adding and fixing the square rules would attract the majority of stratego forum users to your site, since it is not implimented here. Id play there for sure!

Also you have permission to use my stratego videos freely, if it is of any use to you. :)
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#39 donald.mallard

donald.mallard

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:57 AM

Hi bletchfo, I think the most annoying behavior on here is abusive chat. and since the owners don't do away with it, I am having your site added to my filter list, so they can allow it. i second the notion of mods. I've always thought I'd make a good mod, but I think it would be alot of work.

#40 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Great news! Two-square rule is now live on www.stratego.io! If the server sees that you will violate the rule it will reject the move (no message on the frontend yet) - like you're trying to move onto water or a friendly piece.

------------------------

Awesome to see someone who is actively putting in time and effort to improve things.

1 other suggestion for draw refusals and abusive behaviour is to have a watch option with (selected) volunteer admins i.e. the MT team now, but with kicking rights, and banning etc. Also is a great addition if you ever want to run tournaments. We had this at a site called metaforge, and the big tourney games would get good crowds.

All the best with it, and hope we're not overloading you with requests. I think we are just all a bit excited to see someone who knows how to do stuff doing it.  ;)

Regards,

Losermaker

--Edit--: the watch option should be able to be selected by the host, as some people don't like being watched (for scouting setups etc)

Hi Losermaker (nice name), great to see you're excited about stratego! Thanks for the suggestions, trying to take it all in while being objective :) I am listening to each and every single one.

--------------------

Adding and fixing the square rules would attract the majority of stratego forum users to your site, since it is not implimented here. Id play there for sure!

Also you have permission to use my stratego videos freely, if it is of any use to you.  :) 

Hi maxroelofs, thanks for the thoughts. Thanks for the donation of permission to use your videos - probably something I will want to use to teach newer players (down the road).

--------------------

Hi bletchfo, I think the most annoying behavior on here is abusive chat. and since the owners don't do away with it, I am having your site added to my filter list, so they can allow it. i second the notion of mods. I've always thought I'd make a good mod, but I think it would be alot of work.

Hi donald.mallard, running a nice and safe community is always difficult. Mods may be the answer. Probably something I need to think about when I actually get players, haha. Currently few people are using the site - as I develop it hopefully people will come :)  

Edited by bletchfo, 17 August 2016 - 11:27 AM.

• sevenseas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users