Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:19 AM

So I came across this link:

http://www.stratego.io/#

I tried to play a game with an online opponent but I guess no one else knows about this, but it's supposed to match the user with another person. I don't know how the "play with a friend" feature works. I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this.

Edited by texaspete09, 25 July 2016 - 02:20 AM.

• sevenseas, Fairway, Caesar101 and 1 other like this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#2 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:37 AM

Nope just tried it and was waiting in the pool for long time before I left the site. 

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#3 Walhall

Walhall

Bomb

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

Just tested it against myself with two browsers (picked the play with a friend option). This is very hot stuff. No flash or java required, just the browser. Working for firefox and chrome. Amazing easy piece movement without animations.

Reloadable, so the game seems to be saved in a database.

Here some pics:

during game:
pkxCV9L.png
after game:
gRR1dNI.png

This has very high potential. Right now it is just the naked game. Everything metaforge had is missing. And this list is long. To name a few requirements:

graveyard, ranking, chat, sounds, timer, two square rule, admin intervention option ...

#4 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:22 PM

It looks pretty cool. I'll have to try it out sometime.

Is there a lot of players there at the moment? Or about the same as what you'd expect on gravon?

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#5 Walhall

Walhall

Bomb

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:38 PM

It looks pretty cool. I'll have to try it out sometime.

Is there a lot of players there at the moment? Or about the same as what you'd expect on gravon?

there was nobody else, as I tested it.

#6 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:03 PM

It has potential, maybe needs some more options, like European numbering. It's also different how one player views their board with their pieces at the top of the board and their opponent's pieces at the bottom. 

Edited by texaspete09, 25 July 2016 - 10:18 PM.

#7 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

Maybe it's a nice idea to arrange a playdate over there. Be The King of the site. I know Scott would want to. If there's a gamedate, there will be two players at least over there and you can test it out :)!

Lo

#8 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:42 AM

I'm the author of stratego.io. Really happy to see this post and hear some feedback!

As you said, it's just barebones stratego. It's in pure JavaScript (uses websockets), so it runs great on any browser and on any device (even mobiles!).

This attention has got me keen to release some new features :)

If you could pick 3 things to add guys, what would they be?  

• Fairway and texaspete09 like this

#9 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

I think most of us aren't used to playing with our pieces at the top of the screen. If both players could play with their pieces at the bottom of the screen like this site does that would be a great start.

Second the two square rule and a limit to how many times you can chase a piece should be implemented.

The third thing would be if you could put graveyards on the side of the screen showing what pieces have been captured by each player.

Those would be my three suggestions to make the site comfortable for everyone. The site has lots of potential!

- Pete

Edited by texaspete09, 02 August 2016 - 05:17 AM.

• Fairway likes this

#10 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:13 AM

Hi Pete,

I think most of us aren't used to playing with our pieces at the top of the screen. If both players could play with their pieces at the bottom of the screen like this site does that would be a great start. 

Easy one, I can do that straight away.

Second the two square rule and a limit to how many times you can chase a piece should be implemented.

I did some research on this as this is the first time I've heard of these "rules". Should I just force them upon all players, or should there be some sort of checkbox? I.e. "Enforce two square rule (y/n)"

Also, do you have a link/rule sheet that specifies these rules exactly? My stratego rules don't mention these.

The third thing would be if you could put graveyards on the side of the screen showing what pieces have been captured by each player.

This is definitely something I need to do, no-brainer - on the list.

Those would be my three suggestions to make the site comfortable for everyone. The site has lots of potential!

Thanks a bunch Pete. Really appreciate it.

Anyone with any more feedback/suggestions really welcome.

Edited by bletchfo, 02 August 2016 - 06:19 AM.

• texaspete09 likes this

#11 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

I did some research on this as this is the first time I've heard of these "rules". Should I just force them upon all players, or should there be some sort of checkbox? I.e. "Enforce two square rule (y/n)"

Also, do you have a link/rule sheet that specifies these rules exactly? My stratego rules don't mention these.

On pages five and six you should find the more squares and 2 square rules. http://www.isfstrate...sfgamerules.pdf

And yes, these rules should be automatically enforced every game to prevent unsportsmanlike play.

Thanks, Pete
  • bletchfo likes this

#12 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:11 AM

That's a brilliant reference, thanks!

#13 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

If you can add in the two squares rule and the more squares rule to cover endless chasing that would be fantastic!

I am pleased that this is made in pure HTML5/JS rather than flash which is outdated. It is looking excellent so far.

:)

#14 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:51 AM

Hi sevenseas,

If you can add in the two squares rule and the more squares rule to cover endless chasing that would be fantastic!

That's two votes. I'll need to do this then :)

I am pleased that this is made in pure HTML5/JS rather than flash which is outdated. It is looking excellent so far.

Thanks a heap! I feel as if I could develop it much further - I'm also working on a Neural Network based AI to play against as well - as an aside.

Edited by bletchfo, 03 August 2016 - 01:51 AM.

• Fairway likes this

#15 Borgbee

Borgbee

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

This reads very promising... I think you could be in need for some testers to see what is still missing?! A bunch here would like to help!

#16 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

To gain an advantage over the programming on this site I would recommend having a look at preventing 'double chasing'. Don't have any links offhand, but double chasing is where one player alternates between threatening one opponent piece and then another, to circumnavigate rules that prevent endless chasing of pieces.

#17 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

To gain an advantage over the programming on this site I would recommend having a look at preventing 'double chasing'. Don't have any links offhand, but double chasing is where one player alternates between threatening one opponent piece and then another, to circumnavigate rules that prevent endless chasing of pieces.

The more squares rule covers both single and double chasing endlessly. It blocks a chain of repeated chasing moves and requires at least 1 move in a sequence to not threaten a piece. 

#18 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:35 PM

The ISF is considering an improvement to the anti-chasing rules written by GaryLShelton and me.  It's now called Article 12 instead of Article 11 because the ISF is also going to add a new section earlier on in the official rules.  There are two versions shown below, the RBP (repeated board position) version makes no changes at all to current game play but simply improves the clarity of the rule and gives it a solid logical foundation.  The SMT (square moved to) version goes further and reduces the number of pointless chasing moves a player could make during a chase sequences than is currently allowed.  For example, a typical double chase is blocked after 12 chasing moves by RPB, but is blocked after 6 chasing moves with SMT.  If you are programming from scratch, and especially for the online game, I think the SMT version is the best way to go. 

12.  Repetition of Threatening Moves

12.1 Definitions:

To threaten is to move a piece to a square adjoining a square of an opposing piece.

To evade is to move a piece away from an opposing piece that has threatened it.

A chasing move is a move that threatens a piece which then evades it on the immediate next turn.

A chase sequence is a series of consecutive turns in which every move made by one of the players is a chasing move. The player making these moves is said to be chasing.

A chasing piece is a piece that has made at least one chasing move during a chase sequence.  A chase sequence may involve one or more chasing pieces.

12.2 (Limits the chasing of one or more pieces that cannot be captured) (RBP Version)

A player who is chasing may not move a chasing piece to a square that creates a position on the board which has already taken place during the chase sequence, unless it is to a square the chasing piece came from on that player's immediately preceding turn and the Two Squares rule is not violated.

12.2 (Limits the chasing of one or more pieces that cannot be captured) (SMT Version)

A player who is chasing may not move a chasing piece to a square it already moved to during the chase sequence so that it threatens a piece that already evaded it during the sequence, unless it is to a square the chasing piece came from on that player's immediately preceding turn and the Two Squares rule is not violated.

• GaryLShelton and sevenseas like this

#19 Borgbee

Borgbee

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

Hope that can be implemented, yes!

#20 bletchfo

bletchfo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:04 AM

This reads very promising... I think you could be in need for some testers to see what is still missing?! A bunch here would like to help!

Thanks Borgbee, that'd be very much appreciated. I'll be actively developing it further after the feedback here. I'm chuffed to get this kind of response.

On it! Thanks for the feedback, seems like everyone wants this. Will be working on it over the weekend.

The ISF is considering an improvement to the anti-chasing rules written by GaryLShelton and me.  It's now called Article 12 instead of Article 11 because the ISF is also going to add a new section earlier on in the official rules.  There are two versions shown below, the RBP (repeated board position) version makes no changes at all to current game play but simply improves the clarity of the rule and gives it a solid logical foundation.  The SMT (square moved to) version goes further and reduces the number of pointless chasing moves a player could make during a chase sequences than is currently allowed.  For example, a typical double chase is blocked after 12 chasing moves by RPB, but is blocked after 6 chasing moves with SMT.  If you are programming from scratch, and especially for the online game, I think the SMT version is the best way to go. 

Thanks a bunch for the brilliant specification/write-up on SMT, The Prof. I'll start working on the SMT implementation over the weekend.

Edited by bletchfo, 04 August 2016 - 03:04 AM.

• GaryLShelton, The Prof, texaspete09 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users