Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

Please ask any questions you have regarding the tournament here.
3 - 0

#2 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:31 AM

Why did you call us Novices? This is an insult to all players below Platinum. Midnight Guy left, ScottRussia made it clear he won't play so that leaves 9. IMO you should wait until you can get more "novices" to play. I can wait until I am good enough to play with the "real players." Am I the only one who is offended?

Edited by queenbee1, 09 July 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#3 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

Why did you call us Novices? This is an insult to all players below Platinum. Midnight Guy left, ScottRussia made it clear he won't play so that leaves 9. IMO you should wait until you can get more "novices" to play. I can wait until I am good enough to play with the "real players." Am I the only one who is offended?

A novice is someone who is less experienced. Most platinum players have played far more full arena games than gold, silver, and bronze players. Therefore, using the term novice, is an accurate description of who this tournament caters to. It was not intended to be condescending.

A number of players, yourself included, expressed a desire for a tournament for non-platinum players. The NASF has created a tournament for those players. If only eight players are interested in taking part, the NASF is happy to host a tournament for those people. 

• Vap0r likes this
3 - 0

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:16 AM

I think the Queen's point of the label 'novice' is well-taken. I would generally consider a 'novice' as someone bronze. Or even newly bronze. So I do think the name could have been more appropriate, though I'm not offended. In the ancient Chinese proverb sense, where a man must consider 90 miles as the halfway point to 100, the name novice will perfectly apply.

But certainly in common usage it seems a bit off/odd. I personally think there'd have been nothing wrong with a somewhat unimaginative but bit more descriptive term like "The GSB TOURNAMENT" for Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

But whatever, if one can get past the name I'm sure astros and co. will have a fine event in store for all the participants. :)

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#5 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:18 AM

My feeling matter in regards to this subject regardless. 

If you Google novice and it says "a person new to or inexperienced in a field or situation."

2. Eligibility

b. A player must have an ELO score of at least 200 or a minimum of 200 games played.

Neither of them imply novice.

Edited by queenbee1, 11 July 2016 - 11:31 PM.

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:08 AM

Queen, nice definitions. I'm in the choir with you, but the tournament is bound to be fun. Ahem...you might want to make that 'passed' unless you are intending to copy some of our less-than-native European speakers. :D

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#7 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:08 AM

Only players registered on the forum are eligible to participate in the tournament. If we look at the make up of active, regular users (players with more than 50 total posts and at least one post in the last 3 months), it is observed that three in four are platinum. As a general trend, these platinum players have a much higher number of games played than non-platinum players. Therefore, non-platinum players are "inexperienced or new (relatively, for the most part) in [the] field." As such the label of novice is appropriate in comparison to all forum players.
3 - 0

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:13 AM

What does it mean in rule 2f where it says:

f. Players who are ineligible because of rule 2e, but have a NASF ELO rating less than 1179 may participate.

What is an NASF ELO? Is someone actually calculating a 2nd ELO for players was

i77rs4m.jpg

#9 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

The NASF tracks the ELO rating of players in all NASF events. Our system mirrors the FIDE chess rating system: base value of 1200, K=40 for first 30 games played.
3 - 0

#10 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

Only players registered on the forum are eligible to participate in the tournament. If we look at the make up of active, regular users (players with more than 50 total posts and at least one post in the last 3 months), it is observed that three in four are platinum

It's funny that the most active in MT are still novices... even our number 1 is the very most active, see http://forum.strateg...desc&filter=ALL. If you notice on that first page, I beat you 1 spot there too, astros :rolleyes: :lol: :D :P

Lo

#11 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:00 PM

Queen, nice definitions. I'm in the choir with you, but the tournament is bound to be fun. Ahem...you might want to make that 'passed' unless you are intending to copy some of our less-than-native European speakers. :D

Gary thank you for the support and I typed this late at night. I will just leave it be. It should take only one objection to change it. Being active in the forum should have no bearing on eligibility or status. I have made my case. The defense rests.

#12 steelers

steelers

Sergeant

• Tournament Manager
  • 458 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Due to popular demand, the tourney name has been changed to "GSB Tournament"

#13 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

Well, what do you know....

Hope you guys have lots of sign-ups, and that it's a very good event. :) I personally think it's an excellent idea and only wish I could do it at this time. Very best of luck to the NASF on this one.

i77rs4m.jpg

#14 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:16 PM

Due to popular demand, the tourney name has been changed to "GSB Tournament"

Thank you.

#15 njphillips12

njphillips12

Miner

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

The deadline to sign up is now extended until July 24 at 5 PM EST.

Why the extension?

Do we have any way to invite North American players en masse? Could we ask for assistance from Jumbo to help with this?
- N

#16 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

A number of players who expressed interest did not register. The NASF wants to give them additional time to do so.

The NASF has no direct contact with the site owners. The NASF reaches out to players individually to gain participants.
3 - 0

#17 Vap0r

Vap0r

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

The deadline to sign up is now extended until July 24 at 5 PM EST.

Why the extension?

Do we have any way to invite North American players en masse? Could we ask for assistance from Jumbo to help with this?

Just go into each General Chat and say it every time any of us log on hah =)

#18 donald.mallard

donald.mallard

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

When is this tourney supposed to be?

complaint department is on strike.

if you dislike a joke, not my problem. Sue me.

#19 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:10 AM

It starts Monday
3 - 0

#20 donald.mallard

donald.mallard

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:33 AM

Thank you Astros.

complaint department is on strike.

if you dislike a joke, not my problem. Sue me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users