The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:34 AM

what is my probability to win my next wco online game round 3 against Hielco if we consider a 1230 vs 950 true ELO level difference? 

You have a 17% chance.  Think of it like rolling a die and needing a "6".

If anyone wants to figure out things like this for themselves the formula is here:  http://forum.strateg...erpted/?p=44362

• Losermaker and Kernel Mustard like this

#22 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

I'm not saying you don't learn from experience, you definitely do. I am still learning after 12 years playing - but there are players I have seen come through from newbies and are now better than me and usually beat me, who have been playing shorter times. Maybe they played more games but that would mean sitting all day every day doing nothing else I think, as I play a lot! I think when you get to the level of being able to achieve platinum marshal, or over 1600 on the Gravon ratings, its about marginal gains. You might improve a fraction from one year to the next rather than making the bigger gains you did in the first few years of playing. It might be a tweak to your best setup or understanding how to overcome a tricky situation that you've previously yielded to.

The point is I suppose, that I doubt very much Heilco has played more games than anyone else here, followed by Nortrom, Sohal and so on. But I didn't mean to say experience doesn't count, of course it does. You have only to look back at the old Gravon records of years gone by - the final standings show players like AceRimmer steadily progressing until reaching number 1 where he spent several years and other guys way down the pack then moving up and into the top 10 as time went on.

#23 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:14 PM

Indeed, here is last year's Gravon standings, at the bottom are links to all previous years. Although the pool of players is smaller, the quality is there and always has been. Guys quite far down the standings would make platinum marshal here I think.

www.gravon.de/gravon/stratego/rating2015.jsp

#24 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,257 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:56 AM

Wow, I really appreciate the nice discussion in this topic, looking back at it. Excellent thoughts queen, some good stuff. 

I would say that Master of the Flag (jayogee) is higher than probe, even on expert level. It has better memory and can call bluffs better.

Master of the Flag is unquestionably a better opponent than probe, probe doesn't know when and/or how to effectively attack (MOTF, although not exceptional, does better). However probe is much better lottoer than MOTF, although of course a thought-out attacking strategy shows more skill than lotto. Both are valid strategies, but only one is smart.

And... what are my chances to beat Hielco ? :P

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#25 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,507 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

Trouble with MotF is it doesn't have the same options a normal game does. It either gives your complete PR or it doesn't give you any information at all. Neither one is good and it's really impossible to compare MotF to anything else for this reason.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#26 Spartian

Spartian

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

I make my own, everyone has their own way to play. Sometimes, I switch my tactics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users