SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

Spion was endlessly chasing me all over the board the other day until I had to retreat and allow my piece to get taken - this is against ISF rules:

"11. Repetition of Threatening Moves: More-Squares Rule
It is not allowed to continuously chase one or more pieces of the opponent endlessly. The continuous chaser may not play a chasing move which would lead to a position on the board which has already taken place.

Definitions:
continuous chase: the same player is non-stop threatening one or more pieces of his opponent that is/are evading the threatening moves.
chasing move: a move in a continuous chase that threatens an opponent‟s piece that was evading during the continuous chase."

(Of course be aware that chasing rule does not apply when in a back 'n forth, 2-square rule situations - the system will prevent players from evading by going back 'n forth between 2 squares and will allow the pursuer to capture the piece)

We need to be able to improve the site to educate and to discourage chasing:

1) Include an informative link or button on the client with mouse over description of the no chasing rule to inform the masses.
1) Allow players to be able to contact moderators to intervene during the game and allow moderators to end the game if chaser refuses to stop.
2) Allow player to 'flag' the game as a 'chase' game if the chaser won't stop, and then quit game - then admins can review flagged games (assuming you can record them) to validate chase and to assign a forfeit to the chaser for the game (and reverse forfeit to victory for the chased player)

Spiff

#2 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hey Spiff. I put together an Idea that you might want to look over to deal with the chaser issue. The post is on the link below. You might want to post your opinion when you get a chance on the new post once it is approved.

http://forum.strateg...s-and-cheating/

I’ve noticed a lot of players are complaining about “chasing” in Stratego. I have posted some comments about an Auto Draw feature, but I am happy to say that after viewing the opinions of other players on this website, I now agree with you that an Auto Draw option is the wrong way to deal with this issue. Therefore, I have put together an idea that I believe will stop players from cheating in this manner. I hope that this idea is easily understood by the community, but more importantly, the programmers.

IDEA: If 2 opposing pieces are resting on squares diagonally adjacent to one another, this is called a “Pre-Bind.” A “Pre-Bind” is readying the path for a “Full-Bind.” If 2 opposing pieces are resting on squares horizontally or vertically adjacent to one another, this is called a “Full-Bind,” meaning the pieces are bound together. A “Full-Bind” may only be created if a “Pre-Bind” was created first by 2 opposing pieces resting on squares diagonally adjacent to one another. Any pieces that are in a “Pre-Bind” can be labeled as a “Pre-Bind” if they are resting on any 2 squares connected diagonally adjacent to one another. Any pieces that are in a “Full-Bind” can be labeled as a “Full-Bind” if they are resting on any 2 squares connected horizontally or vertically adjacent to one another. Once a “Pre-Bind” is created, a player may choose to create a “Full-Bind” by moving their piece that is adjacently diagonal from their opponent’s piece, to adjacently horizontal or vertical from their opponent’s piece. Pieces that are connected by a “Full-Bind” are considered to be connected in a “2 Square Zone.” A “2 Square Zone” cannot be created from “Pre-Bind” by any means.

At any time, a piece may leave a “Full-Bind” by removing itself from the “2 Square Zone.” This will totally break the “Full-Bind,” but the AI must note that the “Full-Bind” has JUST been broken. If a player leaves or breaks a “Full-Bind” and the “Full-Bind” remains broken on the same player’s next turn, the AI will clear this note from the cache. On the opposing player’s turn, the opposing player may choose to NOT clear the AI cache by chasing the piece that has JUST left the broken “Full-Bind.” This will create a new or reconstructed “Full-Bind” and “2 Square Zone” with the same 2 pieces. Recreating or reconstructing a “Full-Bind” is considered chasing and the AI will store notes that the player is reconstructing the same broken “Full-Bind” over and over. Once any 1 of the 2 pieces are captured, the AI cache is cleared.

If an opposing player reconstructs the same broken “Full-Bind” 4 times in a row, both players will be prompted with a Warning card! The game will pause for 7 seconds and an image of a Warning card will appear on the middle of the game board, stating: “Delay of game (Opposing Player’s Name). You may not chase pieces that are unable to be captured.” The Warning card will then shrink down into a small icon and place itself next to the opposing Player’s name that gained the Warning card. The player that did not gain the Warning card will see that the opposing player now has a new Warning card next to their name. This will inform both players that the player with a Warning card is cheating by continuing to chase a piece that cannot be captured. Once a Warning card is prompted, the AI cache will be cleared on this issue.

There will be 3 different Warning cards that will be given in this order:
1.) Green Warning card
2.) Yellow Warning card
3.) Red Warning card
The Green and Yellow Warning cards will display the same exact text: “Delay of game (Opposing Player’s Name). You may not chase pieces that are unable to be captured.” The Red Warning card will display this text: “(Opposing Player’s Name,) the continual delay of game has forced your resignation.” Once a player has received a Red Warning card, the Warning card will shrink down to an icon next to the player’s name and then the Defeat logo will be displayed. The player that did not receive a Red Warning card will gain a Victory at this moment.

I really hope this resolves the chase issue that haunts us all. Opinions and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

HmmNess
  • SpacemanSpiff likes this
Posted Image

#3 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

HmmNess - your idea is very promising. It serves the purpose of stopping the offending activity as it happens AND educates the players as to the illegality of chasing. I would think that this feature would be VERY important for this site as it would differentiate this site's Stratego experience from other sites. I think chasing is the single biggest problem with online Stratego and with this feature, things could really turn around for online Stratego and especially for this site.

A couple of things to consider regarding your logic model above:

1) When a player gets a "back 'n forth" warning, the AI cache should be cleared for the pursuer (not chaser) so the pursuer does not get flagged for reconstructing a bind as a chaser.

2) There are situations where backing down a player is advantageous and legal without being a chase. For example, if you have the Marsh on the right flank next to a lake in a 'bind' with an inferior opponent piece, your opponent may want to retreat back to his/her side of the board in a straight line (to avoid back 'n forth rule) while your Marsh may want to follow the piece to the opponent's side of the board at the same time to push the enemy back while also getting a better offensive position. This could create 4 consecutive reconstructed 'binds' which could flag the pursuer incorrectly when it is simply a positioning situation, not a chase. I would think that if you could include logic that says 3 successive 'binds' on the same board column (or row) would clear the AI cache, that should solve this problem.

I think this feature should be strongly considered - thanks Hmmm.

Spiff

#4 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

I agree with 1 of your suggestions and I’ll come up with some way to fix my post to implement your ideas.

1) When a player gets a "back 'n forth" warning, the AI cache should be cleared for the pursuer (not chaser) so the pursuer does not get flagged for reconstructing a bind as a chaser.

1.) It would be hard for the AI to determine who the Pursuer is and who the Chaser is. I think both players should be cleared from the AI cache to make it easier, once a warning card is displayed for either player.

2) There are situations where backing down a player is advantageous and legal without being a chase. For example, if you have the Marsh on the right flank next to a lake in a 'bind' with an inferior opponent piece, your opponent may want to retreat back to his/her side of the board in a straight line (to avoid back 'n forth rule) while your Marsh may want to follow the piece to the opponent's side of the board at the same time to push the enemy back while also getting a better offensive position. This could create 4 consecutive reconstructed 'binds' which could flag the pursuer incorrectly when it is simply a positioning situation, not a chase. I would think that if you could include logic that says 3 successive 'binds' on the same board column (or row) would clear the AI cache, that should solve this problem.

2.) We definitely do not want players to be punished for pursuing a piece that is able to be captured. I have come up with a new Idea to fix this problem. “Binds” may only be created if both pawns were starting on squares that are adjacently diagonal to each other before the any “Binds” were created. This will allow you to pursue someone down if you are resting 1 space away from them on the same row or column. You have to remember though, you may pursue someone until they bend around the lake. This will create a diagonal for both pieces and you will be chasing from now on if a player moves back and forth. I believe we must keep the 4 square rule in place. With this new system we have suggested, I think we will get rid of most cheaters. I have already fixed my post to make this more understandable. Please re-read the edited post and let me know what you think. This is a good addition Spiff, good job.

Thanks for your input and the help!

HmmNess
Posted Image

#5 M-D

M-D

Game Developer

• Administrators
  • 124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Because there are many different opinions about this subject, I think it's wise too keep it all in a central topic.

So I'll close this topic and hope you can continue the discussion here:
http://forum.strateg...nered-behavior/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users