Photo

Add a view for rankings that includes all players (bronze + silver + gold + platinum)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

It's no fun moving up to Silver if everybody else can't see you b/c all the rest are in bronze

#2 Ash

Ash

Scout

• Stratego Staff
  • 78 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

First of all Congrats getting into the Silver League :D
I think you are the first person to do so... or has someone else also entered the Silver league but now has been demoted?

About having a view that includes all players from all leagues, this is somewhat troublesome from a technical perspective.
Don't get me wrong, we would love to be able to show all the players in the leagues!
But every time someone goes to the Leagues and Ladders page a heavy calculation is started to get the up to date and accurate standings of the players. This is heavy on the server that Stratego runs on, which means that it would take a long time to load before you will be able to see all the players, especially when we will get more players on Stratego once we are out of Closed Beta.

Huge games like Call of Duty are able to do this as they have dedicated servers who's only job it is to calculate Rankings. Hopefully this will become an option for us if / when Stratego.com takes off ... :D

#3 wazaaap

wazaaap

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Well it cant be that hard to put the leader of the silver ranking also on 1st place at bronze ranking , leader of gold ranking also at silver 1st place ranking etc
°_°

#4 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Ash - if server workload is the only issue then this will be VERY easy to fix. For bronze, you currently list a maximum of 250 rankings. Just use the same 250 maximum for the new cumulative ranking button so the workload will be exactly the same as it is now regardless of how many people are subscribed to the site. This will be a great way to protect your server workload from a rankings calculation perspective as the site grows. Plus, it will add an incentive for those that didn't make the top 250 to bang out some games and move up :)

Thanks

Spiff
  • vowles_23 likes this

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

Did this happen?  It is interesting.   I also feel it must be a blow to get "better" and yet go from a Marshall to a Spy?  Don't know what to do about that.

I see that a lot of expansion is built into the Stratego.com rankings by having empty Gold and Platinum rosters.  

There are currently 27 silvers, I believe, but one day that will probably be very many.  So, I think it would be nice to have a top 25 or 50 list, separate from the Medal Colors Rankings, if it is possible.  

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#6 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

It'll be quite awhile until someone gets to the Gold level.  Even though this site is growing faster than I expected, it still takes someone to win 90% or more of their games and only face players near their level.  Spiff is one person who will perhaps one day accomplish this feat, but as good as he is, lose one game and he will lose at least 20 points or more since there are hardly many people near his level of skill.  All it takes is one bad game or someone gets lucky playing lotto and your rating takes a huge hit.  Then to rebuild that rating will take a number of wins, so until it becomes common place where we have at least 100 Silver players, it'll be be tough to get to that Gold level. 

#7 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Indeed,....right now it's just impossible to reach the Goldstatus.

Doesn't matter how good you are,...the best players are having the same elo ratings for months now, around the 800, something less, something more but it's always something like that.  To be gold you need at least 1000 points.

After a time this will evolve and right now there are more silver players but as long as there are no 100 STABLE silver guys at least (becoming silver is one thing but to STAY this is another), I don't see it happen that Spiff or another guy will reach this status.

1000 points,....so that means still 200 points to go,.............

If a silver captain wins against a bronze marshall, he wins 4 or 5 points perhaps.

So this means he has to beat at least 50 bronze bronze marshalls in a row (and probably more because he will get less points if he's going up to silver major or silver colonel).

If he loses one game, he has to win 55 times.  If he loses 2 games, it's already 60 games to win.

Even a winning percentage of 90 procent won't get you there cuz' you will lose 5 out of the 50 games like this which means 100 points are lost so he has to win 300 points, what means...........beating 75 bronze marshalls in a row.

Maybe if we have twice or three times as many players as today, this would be possible in theory.

For this moment, the only thing Spiff can do is try to break the record of Flaghunter by becoming Silver major (850 points).

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

What happened to this Flaghunter person?

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#9 Lady Kathryn

Lady Kathryn

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

. This is heavy on the server that Stratego runs on, which means that it would take a long time to load before you will be able to see all the players, especially when we will get more players on Stratego once we are out of Closed Beta. :D

all the more reason to offer the stripped down 2D version as an option. From what I gather from the posts appearing all over the Forum, alot of players would prefer it. Sure, the crash and boom is great for kids new to stratego, but we old school types would play on sheets of cardboard using chunks of styrene  plastic for pieces....what? ^_^

wc 2010x2.jpg

#10 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

...players on Stratego once we are out of Closed Beta.

Huge games like Call of Duty are able to do this as they have dedicated servers who's only job it is to calculate Rankings. Hopefully this will become an option for us if / when Stratego.com takes off ... :D

Ash, can you please explain "Closed Beta".  I thought this was Open Beta, as I just recently began and so have many others.  Wouldn't we be blocked from playing and commenting in the forums if it were Closed Beta?  

I see this post of yours was from October 2012.  Has this fact changed since then?  Was it actually closed then?

Also, has the server situation changed at all?

#11 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

It's no fun moving up to Silver if everybody else can't see you b/c all the rest are in bronze

Hey, this is an old post, but still a good point. It would be nice to see one list with everyone on it, regardless of whether they were Bronze, or Silver, or even Gold.  It would then be truly the Top Player list.  Now, when I click on the Bronze Leader Board, I really don't know how I stack up for the whole site.  There's 52 Silvers tonight.  Since I'm at 178 on the Bronze Board, that puts me at 230 overall.  So I have to add the numbers together to know the real truth of how I stack up.  It'd be nice to not to have to do that.

I don't have any idea the programming changes this involves, but I think it would be more enjoyable to see for everyone.  This is my two cents anyway.

#12 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

For the new players it is really motivating to see what's their position on the ladder, so show also the actual position instead of N/A. 

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#13 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Luckypapa, that's a good point.  The Bronze Leader Board has only 250 places on it.  Tonight it takes a Bronze General ranking of 422 to make the list.  If someone was 337th place on the list, that would be nicer to know than simply "N/A".  Could this simple change be done, at least?

Of course, I am for a slightly bigger issue, the single Leader Board list for the entire community.  If that list has only 250 names, then so be it.  Just let me know if I am at 400th or 373rd or whatever instead of the "N/A".  That would be nice.  I hope it is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users