TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:22 PM

Dear Readers,

Welcome to the inaugural edition of The Sprinkler - the SpringTourn 2016 newspaper that brings you all the incredible stories, hilarious gossip and ground-breaking news you could wish for, and much much less.

Tension is mounting and the excitement is palpable as the close of Registration for SpringTourn 2016 is only 48 hours away. (http://forum.strateg...6-registration/)

Coming soon, the SpringTourn Preview.

• Aris1970, Moghedien and Vap0r like this

#2 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,431 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:37 PM

The big story right now is whether the Spring Tourn will break the 64 player barrier!

Does the TC have a double elimination bracket that can handle 65+ ???

• Vap0r likes this

#3 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:26 PM

Play in games to qualify? How many players would that reasonably accommodate?
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#4 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

Hi everyone,

the draw for this tournament will take place in half an hour, at 11:00 GMT. 

To guarantee fair results, a video will be available on youtube asap after it.

• Aris1970 likes this

#5 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

The draw is over and every interested player may see the video here.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mfMjGEn8-jA

#6 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

Good afternoon, loyal readers of the Sprinkler.

You join me outside Stratego HQ, where the draw for this year’s SpringTourn 2016 has just been made to kick-off TC’s Tournament Season.

Where is Stratego HQ, I hear you ask? It is nowhere, yet everywhere – on virtual battlefields and in your hearts and minds.

History has been made as for the first time an online Stratego tournament has reached 64 fiersome contenders, a total that had it been exceeded would have caused panic in the ranks of TC. As it is, we are pleased to announce that there will be no byes in this Spring’s showcase event.

There are a number of big names and a cluster of fresh faces all hoping to lift the trophy or secure precious TRPs in the Race to Masters Divisions 2016/17.

Among this year’s entrants (and we mean no disrespect to any other player) are the group the media have dubbed ‘The Special 6’. Hielco, Sohal, Nortrom, SEKERTISS, Manning2Cruz and OverLord_98 form this elite group of 1000+ ELO players looking to make their presence known.

But in this game anyone can truly beat anyone, something that many usurpers will be looking to demonstrate. Perhaps what Leicester City achieved in the football world can be replicated here in the only marginally less popular arena that is our favourite game.

Ladies and gentlemen, time-tacticians and lotto-lovers, SpringTourn 2016 is officially underway, and there is no better place than to keep informed of the progress of your favourite players and your arch-rivals than right here at The Sprinkler.

There are rumours of the return of the world-famous betting competition – SpringStakes, and even the possibility of an interview or two with some of the main contenders!

Dear Sprinklers, your loyalty is appreciated.

Until we meet again, with reaction to the draw to follow, this is Javier Flag, undercover maverick reporter at The Sprinkler, reporting live from Stratego HQ. 

• Mr. Smith likes this

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

Until we meet again, with reaction to the draw to follow, this is Javier Flag, undercover maverick reporter at The Sprinkler, reporting live from Stratego HQ.

Nice bit, TheO. :)
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#8 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

SpringTourn2016 is now in full flow, with 16 players already having booked their ticket to the second round of the Premier Bracket. The biggest clash of the round saw Sohal triumph over Napoleon 1er, and two giants are already set to collide in the second round when spyros77 meets cflag in an all-Greek battle. With three of the so-called Special six drawn in the bottom quarter of the bracket (Manning2Cruz, Sekertziss, OverLord_98) and Hielco and Sohal both drawn in the top quarter, the Sprinkler is expecting some big clashes at the quarter-final stage, and perhaps even earlier.

This year’s field is the strongest yet – there are genuinely a large number of players who are capable of competing for the trophy. Just a glance down the list of names already through to Round 2 illustrates this. And of course for anyone who loses a game there is no need to pack up the suitcase of hopes just yet. In fact, both the previous Double-Elimination tournament winners have staged a come-back from the Re-hab Bracket (Hielco – Spring 2015, and Losermaker - Winter2015).

We are still waiting for a big shock in this opening round, but with a few David and Goliath battles around the corner, who knows…

This is Javier Flag, undercover maverick reporter at the Sprinkler, now on his second pair of trousers such is the excitement here at Stratego HQ.

• The Prof and cflag like this

#9 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'm now deep undercover at Stratego HQ. None of the officials have noticed me yet. Only last night I was mistaken for a spectator as we said goodbye to our first departure Spaher, who fell victim to TheProf - a really unfavourable draw for the veteran German after meeting Nortrom in the opening round.

While I have been lurking in the shadows, Nortrom has been joined by KARAISKAKIS. These two give this years SpringTourn its first Last 16 battle in a WCO staff head-to-head.

Also through is OverLord_98, consigning the experienced Kambia to rehab - where she becomes one of three players representing the fairer sex at SpringTourn.

The local speciality here is a Marmite sandwich, and I've already had three of them. They're absolutely delicious. If the quality of games is anything like the quality of the local cuisine here then we're in for a treat.

This is Javier Flag, undercover maverick reporter at The Sprinkler, reporting live.

#10 Späher

Späher

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

veteran German ;)  ;)  :lol:

• TheOptician likes this

#11 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,906 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

I'm now deep undercover at Stratego HQ.

...undericover .... now I know who you are ... once upon a time in the bomb of spies ... :D

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#12 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:28 PM

Dear Brilliant readers of the Sprinkler,

I've managed to sneak backstage into one of the large rehearsal arenas. There are some seriously strategic moves being rehearsed. On one of the tables would you believe it I've spotted none other than the fiersome rivals Nortrom and KARAISKAKIS! They are simply staring at each other across the board, possibly in some 'psych out' attempt... Their gaze doesn't wander as I tentatively say hello. I cheekily pass Nortrom a piece of paper with some questions (as every good reporter should), and luckily he gets a pen out. (Note that he wrote these answers without looking away from his opponent). I honestly think they might sit here until their match begins. That is going to be one intense game.

EXCLUSIVE Interview with Nortrom:

You meet KARAISKAKIS in the next round. (He's the one sitting opposite you now that you may have noticed). How do you plan to embarass the wily Greek?

A quick victory under 200 moves is the goal, if I’m feeling generous, I might make it 250

A quickie eh... How do you relax after a big win?

Oh, big win you said? Good question, it has been too long to remember… I’m more into draws as of lately.

ep4PTe3.jpg

Nice image, although you look fairly exhausted afterwards. Stratego.com doesn't offer a great music selection. What audio pleasures give you inspiration in the heat of battle - or perhaps you opt for just sound effects?

I appreciate the sound of silence ( often from the opponent, after the game ) 

Ooh, dark. Have you tried a Marmite sandwich yet?

No, I have not. Perhaps you can try to convince me to try it? It does sound a bit too healthy though.

Yes, please try one. I've just realised you write in Orange pen - so Dutch. What would you personally consider a good performance here at SpringTourn?
#1 without visiting the rehab bracket.

So far so good. The organisers at SpringTourn are always interested in recruiting new players. What tips can you give them to find some fresh faces?
Tough one, there is only so much you can do. I just took a look at the sign-up list, there are 18 names I have not heard of before

Thanks for your time and good luck!

KARAISKAKIS it has to be said had become a little suspicious at this point. He pointed at the paper, keeping eyes fixed on Nortrom, and I passed it over. Not to be outdone, I got a second interview. Get in, Javier. Same questions obvs, I'm not that good a reporter.

EXCLUSIVE Interview with KARAISKAKIS

You meet Nortrom in the next round. He's around here somewhere. How do you plan to outwit the cheeky Dutchman?

As usual, removing my flag from the board   :P 

Blue pen, nice touch. How do you relax after a big win?

I am thinking my next opponent.

Stratego.com doesn't offer a great music selection. What audio pleasures give you inspiration in the heat of battle - or perhaps you opt for just sound effects?

I never listen  music during my games. I think that you lose your concentration. Just the sound effects from the game, always in low tone 

I agree, nothing beats that spy noise. Have you tried a Marmite sandwich yet?

No, but I eat  souvlaki every week .  :) Have you tried greek soublaki?

Course I have, I'm a world renowned journalist. What would you personally consider a good performance here at SpringTourn?

to take the cup and celebrate like in this video https://youtu.be/UWEqc4dDRbI

or   https://youtu.be/mNdUne8-BFU

or  https://youtu.be/lGqq2rTMhD8

​p.s. I was there Tuesday night , few hours  after my team won the cup .   :)

Conrgats. The organisers at SpringTourn are always interested in recruiting new players. What tips can you give them to find some fresh faces?

The problem is not to find fresh faces. This is easy. The problem is to ensure that these new faces are really new players and seperate people. The further development of local federations (like GOSC/NASF) will help definitely towards this direction. 

Thanks for your time and good luck!

Edited by Javier Flag, 23 May 2016 - 11:30 PM.

• KARAISKAKIS, Mr. Smith, Master Mind and 1 other like this

#13 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

You join me live from the Players Lounge. The facilities here are unbelievable - there's not only a sofa but a chair with a cushion. A portrait of last years winner Hielco is framed in solid gold. The bar staff are running a special - you can order a hot dog with Kernel mustard without paying a single battlecoin - all food is complimentary.

To get access to the Players Lounge you either have to be competing at SpringTourn or have friends in seriously high places. I just saw Donald Trump in the bathroom, where the toilet seats are decorated with diamonds. Or perhaps the combination of toilets and filthy riches caused me to imagine him.

Luckily, dear readers of the Sprinkler, I'm no expert in politics. But what I can exclusively reveal today will send a shockwave around the Stratego world. TC appear to have granted a special dispensaton to allow Kambia and IOLAUS1926 to make online tournament history by playing their second round Rehab match in the flesh!

This Sunday, these two warriors will emerge from the sanctuaries of their computers to meet head to head in a corner of Thessalonika, in front of an audience which is expected to reach up to a million viewers (but at least two for sure).

Local ticket touts have already got hold of some front-row seats and are flogging them for many, many battlecoins. An online match being played offline - Whatever next? I'm so excited I'm in danger of requiring even further clothes.

It's all unsubstantiated gossip at this stage of course, but I smell something really quite special in the air. I'd really better leave the toilet.

This is Javier Flag, reporting live and undercover from SpringTourn HQ.
  • SEKERTZISS, Kambia and cflag like this

#14 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

We now have 2 players who have booked their Premier Bracket Quarter-Final board. No surprises to see Hielco as first player in, where he awaits either Brainysmurf or Sohal. He is joined by steelers, who defeated compatriot astros yesterday to earn a spot in the last 8, and earns a place against either KARAISKAKIS or Nortrom.

I caught up with steelers and astros as they relaxed with a game of tiddlywinks before their showdown. Let's see what they had to say.

EXCLUSIVE Interview with steelers

Despite having a wealth of games under your belt, you are relatively new to tourneys here. What is the main difference you find between tournament and ranked games?

I think I'm a better tournament player than ranked player.  Like you said, I've played a lot of games, and a lot of those games aren't played when I'm at 100%.  I often play with many distractions around me.  For the tournaments, I make sure there are no distractions and I can play at my best.

Wise. Speaking of relaxing, have you spent much time in the Players Lounge?

I visit the players lounge from time to time,but can't say I've spent too much time there.

Also wise. You know it's fictional right? Your next opponent is fellow countryman astros. What's your plan of attack?

Astros and I have played each other many times and know each others style well.  My plan is to be less predictable and keep him guessing

Something tells me it's going to work. Have you tried a Marmite sandwich yet?

I have not tried a Marmite sandwich, and I'm not sure I ever want to

You do want to - you just don't know you do. What would you consider a good result at SpringTourn?

I'm happy I made it to the final 16 in the winners bracket, but I'm hoping for 1 more win (and if I get it, I'll be hoping for 1 more win after that, and 1 more after that, all the way to the title).

After a big win, how do you relax?

I usually relax by excitedly telling my wife about it, who couldn't care less.  Then I get mad, and play another game of Stratego.

I'm with you there. Not that &*^)(&!-ing game again is the usual response. Music, Sound effects, or something else entirely?

No music or sound effects.  If it's a ranked game, I usually have the TV on on the background.  For a tourney game, it's silence

Yes silence is golden - or deadly. What's the next best thing after Stratego?

My beloved Pittsburgh Steelers (American football) are the next best thing to me after Stratego.  But if I were to pick something with more international appeal, I'd say darts.

Ah yes, arrows. Right up my street. Talking of which, some of the local market vendors at SpringTourn are offering replica dolls of the big name players. Who would you most like to be matched up against?

I've got my eye on the top.  So I'd most like to be matched up against Hielco.  You have to beat the best to be the best.  I'm a long way from the best, but that's where I want to eventually be.

Well good luck in the rest of the tourney and thanks for your time :-)

EXCLUSIVE Interview with astros

Some punters stand to win some serious points in the SpringStakes if you triumph at SpringTourn. What would be a good result for you in this tourney?

I will only be satisfied with winning the tournament. I have received a more favorable draw and have improved from past tournaments. If I play my best, I believe I have a shot.

Have you spent much time in the Players Lounge?

I did not realize there was one.

Wise - it is indeed fictional. Your next opponent is fellow countryman steelers. What's your plan of attack?

In the past my opponent has chosen to not vary his setups. I hope he sticks to this plan. Otherwise it should be a tough game. We both play an aggressive, attacking style so I expect a short, decisive match.

You seem to have eliminated some inconsistency from your game, as demonstrated by your recent NASF tournament victories. How have you changed the way you play?

I have improved as a player, but the inconsistency remains. I am unhappy with my performance in the first two rounds. However, that is behind me and I need to be ready for steelers.

Have you tried a Marmite sandwich yet?

I have not, but am looking forward to.

That's more like it. Who would you want to play in the final should you get there?

I would like to play TheOptician in the final. I feel slighted he gave me such poor odds to win the tournament and nothing would be sweeter than crushing his army in the finale.

I hope it happens - that guy's a %^(^^. How do you prepare for a tournament game?

I make sure I am well rested and have a good internet connection.

Music, Sound effects, or something else entirely?

If my opponent decides to run out his clock I like to queue up a little Europe:

https://www.youtube....NcRmVcw&t=1m55s

Great way to end the interview. Thanks for your time and good luck!

• Kambia, astros and steelers like this

#15 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

It's a hot day here at SpringTourn. Temperatures have soared, and there were even rumours that players pieces were melting in the sun. Some players have taken advantage of the complimentary ice-creams available in the players lounge. Among the flavours available are Major Mint and Watermelon Bomb. It's the perfect way to relax in the heat of battle - just be careful that a dripping ice-cream doesn't accidentally stain your revealed lieutenant as it could prove decisive in the end-game.

Capacity crowds have already witnessed OverLord_98 see off an ice-cream after becoming the first player into the semi-finals after victory against stamen feson. This was the first of two all-Greek clashes in the Premier Bracket Round 4, with Aris1970 facing egw197077, who has made history by changing his name mid-tournament to CLEVERMIND.

Despite the high temperatures, battle must continue. OverLord_98 will meet either Nortrom or Steelers, who are due to collide in the next few hours or so. In the other Premier Bracket quarter-final, Brainysmurf takes on tournament favourite Hielco.

Loyal readers of the Sprinkler, I'm off for a swim. This is Javier Flag, undercover and under-dressed.

Edited by Javier Flag, 10 June 2016 - 03:45 PM.

• Aris1970 and Caesar101 like this

#16 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

There's been a distinct change in atmosphere around the Stratego arenas and market stalls these past few days. Previously the streets were flooded with tourists, fans and neutrals alike - all so they could tell their grandchildren 'You know I was actually there at SpringTourn 2016'.

Now just the hardcore supporters remain, and the tournament has taken on a more serous feel. 8 players are left standing, split coincidentally and nationalistically into 3 groups.

The Greek pairing of Aris1970 and OverLord_98 are waiting in the Rehab wings to meet their respective US opponents. Steelers, having triumphed over spyros77, takes on the player who has won more games than anyone in the tournament - mrbrainiac. On the otherside Manning2Cruz meets astros, and all 4 will have to temporarily suspend friendship as they do battle.

Meanwhile it is the Dutch duo of Hielco and Nortrom who are sitting pretty in the final two spots of the Premier Bracket. For anyone not familiar with the format of Double Elimination, the last player standing in the Rehab Bracket gets a chance to topple the last player standing in the Premier Bracket. If they are to be successful they must win twice without reply. So this next game between these Netherlands nemeses is crucial, and more likely than not will provide SpringTourns champion.

But save for the fact that I am about to eat a marmite sandwich, nothing is certain here at Stratego HQ.

This is Javier Flag, reporting live from the amphitheatre of dreams.
  • Aris1970, mrbrainiac, Master Mind and 1 other like this

#17 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

Only 4 remain at Stratego HQ. 60 players have packed up their pieces and departed home left thinking what could have been, but not before making their way through the traditional 'Arch of Honour', constructed by the ball boys and girls of the arena.

For those of you unfamiliar with the use of ball boys and girls outside the sport of tennis, these helpers are on hand during every match. Should a piece go flying in a fit of rage when a general hits a bomb, they are there to quite literally pick up the pieces.

Three of the pre-tournament 'Big 5' remain, OverLord_98 having beaten Manning2Cruz in last nights delayed game. His opponent will be mrbrainiac, the surprise package of this years event.

The victor of that game must then beat Hielco to reach the final, where the man to beat (Nortrom) is enjoying a couple of weeks lazing around the players lounge pool.

As the crowds have gradually thinned and the tourists have made their way home, I notice that security is a little lax. Later tonight I'm going to attempt to break in to the Players Village and see what sort of excessive luxury they've been living in. I'll need to be careful, as the penalty for comedic trespassing can be as much as 50 battlecoins.

Wish me luck, readers.

Edited by Javier Flag, 13 July 2016 - 08:38 AM.

• Lonello and mrbrainiac like this

#18 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:55 PM

A moment ago I sneaked inside the Player's Village.

One security guard went off to buy a marmite sandwich and this give me the perfect opportunity to sneak inside. There was an intense moment when I was almost spotted, but I froze and the second security guard mistook me for unmoved piece.

These player's live in absolute luxury. Not only does each player have a double-bed, but two pillows. There's also some free cosmetics courtesy of SpringTourn organisers. The complimentary toothpaste catches my eye and I'm just about to brush my teeth when suddenly mrbrainiac enters the room. Must think fast.

Ah, mrbrainiac. Did my secretary get a message to you about our interview?

No. Why are you holding my toothbrush?

Um, good question. Let me counter with one of my own. You can't stop winning. What's your secret?

Secret? Just a lot of luck, determination, and practice. I have been playing seriously and would like to improve my attacking style more. Why are you holding my toothbrush?

To feel like a champion, just for a moment. The Champions League returns to the tournament calendar this year, and you've already signed up. Now the surprise is out, players may treat you differently. Do you think you'll have to change your game plan?

I will do what I normally do, along with some tactics I am practicing.

Practice does indeed make perfect. I myself practice the art of Marmite sandwiches, which are still available at most SpringTourn kiosks. Have you sampled one yet?

What is that?

Never mind. What do you do when you're not Stratego-ing?

Work, study

You have said that you are learning to attack more. How do you see yourself on the attack/defence spectrum?

It really depends on game/opponent. From the moves/decisions from an unknown opponent I will learn sensing what he would do in a particular situation.

With a Top 4 place in the bank, you're in good position for a Div 1 place. Who are you most looking forward to playing?

Top players: Hielco, Nortrom

Well you could meet them both if you run continues. What real-life figures give you inspiration on the battlefield?

Major Hartmann

Interesting. Is it true that in real life you are an airline pilot?

No way, lol.

So how do you celebrate after a tournament victory?

Spend some money to buy things I like =)

Well can I suggest a new toothbrush? Thanks very much for your time, and good luck in an hour versus OverLord_98!

#19 Javier Flag

Javier Flag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

You would never have believed that a major Stratego Tournament was even held here at SpringTourn HQ such is the quiet now. 5 days ago Nortrom triumphed over Hielco to lift the trophy and become the SpringTourn champion of 2016.

As such, this newspaper has no budget left to employ me - I'm going to have to search for a job at a rival paper.

There's no need for Stratego fans to panic however as there is plenty to look forward to - the Champions League format is back and there are still 4 days for players dreaming of glory to make their way to the registration booths (http://forum.strateg...6-registration/).

I'm going to grab a final marmite sandwich and reflect on a great few months. Loyal readers, it's been emotional.

This is Javier Flag, undercover maverick reporter, bidding you farewell from SpringTourn HQ.

• Vap0r likes this

#20 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 888 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

I don't understand why the Spring Tournament is cancelled. Quite a lot of people like to participate in tourneys and there is still room for more (just look to QB's Invitational).
  • leppie and Yellowhat like this
First Dutch Champion Juniors 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users