Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

qlNjJNP.jpg

Welcome to TheO's Cafe. 

This is a call to resurrect the long-lost topics of discussion that used to pervade the Forum, such as game strategy and tactics, and mindless banter.

You are welcome here to hang, drink, chill, chat or do anything that you don't do at home. When you're around the shop, just jump in. Friends and enemies alike, all are welcome.

There is only 1 rule - you may not criticise or quote any other customer of this cafe, or security will eject your sentiments.

Cappucinos start from only 2 Battlecoins, and healthy juices are available for just a few more. The first drink is free!

Each week we will publish a Specials Board:

Pr4EglZ.jpg

1.   When will the first World Cup of Online Stratego be arranged?

2.   What is the best and worst thing about having an alias?

3.   Will Stratego ever be considered an Olympic sport?

4.   Will Waterfall ever return to the site?

5.   Should you take a Colonel with a General?

6.   What gender is the spy?

• maxroelofs, Fairway and Moriarty like this

#2 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,272 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hi all, I'll take an healty juice ;)

1. As soon as possible if I would be the manager together with some other experienced tournament managers with time. Would be really good to see this in the future!

2. Advantage: Your points doesn't matter as much as on your main account, and you're not known.
    Disadvantage: Many people cheat

3. I hope so, but it won't be next to my door ;)

4. Maybe, but he would bevery stupid to play again under the name Waterfall

5. Yes I would do it, when it would be this situation (your opponent has a general, and you have a colonel and a marshal): right top corner (my point of view), your colonel is directly into the corner, with the marshal above, and the general besides. It's like this:

9   8

When it's your turn, you attack his general with your colonel, and then he is cornered.

#3 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,045 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

Cheers for the Cafe! May it be successful. May it be filled with warm friends, relevant topics, and intelligent conversation. :)

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#4 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:32 AM

Master Mind - what about no. 6?

#5 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

I'll take a smoothie, do you have any of those?

1. 2017

2.Advantage: I don't care about points at all, just having fun 

Disadvantage: Cheating

3. Probably not, it is not a physical sport, just a brain sport. :)

4. Hopefully not. 

5. At my level, heck yeah.

6. female.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#6 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

Haha, nice topic!

1. I'll have to say probably never

2.Best thing: anonymity and better win %. Worst thing: anonymity

3. I don't even think Chess will become an Olympic sport

4. Yes, and in force.

5. No. There are no benefits at all unless you are up a general in the first place. Then you get free marshal info.

6. Female.

Edited by Moriarty, 01 April 2016 - 07:14 PM.

• TheOptician likes this
I have no idea what that thing under my avatar is. I've always liked stickers

#7 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

Moriarty- READ THE WHOLE TOPIC !!!

TheO said, no quoting or you will be kicked out!

• TheOptician and sevenseas like this

#8 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

Security has been called. There is still time for Moriarty to edit the post or things could get nasty...
  • Moriarty likes this

#9 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Sincere Apologies, TheO

#10 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

If you read the rules carefully, it says you cannot quote a CUSTOMER of the cafe. I quoted TheO, who is the owner.

• TheOptician likes this

#11 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

Solid defence Moriarty. I don't know if you've met many who work in the security industry, but they don't tend to be swayed by logical arguments. I hope you evade them, I really do.

#12 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

:)

Edited by Moriarty, 01 April 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#13 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

Well, the smoothie I ordered was very good. ;) With food that good, I'm sure the owner eats it too every once and a while. I believe that makes him qualify as a customer!

Edited by Fairway, 01 April 2016 - 08:32 PM.

• TheOptician likes this

#14 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

1.   When will the first World Cup of Online Stratego be arranged?

It is still a big secret that is exclusively reserved for active members of this stratego.com forum and that is exceptionnally communicated on this April 1st day. In fact the first World Cup of Online Stratego will be occuring during next summer. As you all have heard civil war in Syria is extremely expensive and nobody, neither russians, nor americans, nor frenchs nor greeks know how to stop it. As you have also be able to see our friend Ufuk disappeared from this forum since a few weeks. This is all related. In fact he has been very busy negotiating with all parties in Syria, Syrian government, isis, russians, americans, frenchs, british and all others who are trying to find a solution to end this war . He had this brilliant idea and was able to sell it to all these nations, that to stop this endless war people shall continue the fight on Stratego board instead of in the field. His idea had big success among all parties involved. So Ufuk is currently setting up the first World Cup of Online Stratego (but this is big secret) that will oppose all these nations against each other and the final winner will have the prestigious honor to be the new government of Syria recognized by all. All participants have agreed to this principle so if russians win Syria will become a russian subentity, if american wins Syria will be governed by US government and so on, if current syrian government wins they will continue to govern but with the big difference that they will be recognized by all. Everybody is very happy with this extremely fair and inexpensive way to stop this war and its casualties. 

Now the issue is that all these nations are no big stratego experts and need to train a lot until summer if they want to win. So they are looking for voluntary stratego trainers and have contacted stratego.com to search for candidates for such job. To fullfill the conditions stratego trainers shall have a minimum ELO of 600, have participated to at least 2 tournaments on stratego.com and be interested in training any nation without political preference. All has to be purely focused on transmitting stratego passion. Volunteers can apply here under in this cafe and MT and TC will then make the necessary coordination with Ufuk. So feel free to apply.

2.   What is the best and worst thing about having an alias?

Best thing: it gives time to your main account to go sleep while the alias can take over and continue playing :)

Worst thing: if you play with an alias other people cannot see how great your main account is

3.   Will Stratego ever be considered an Olympic sport?

This will be decided after first WOrld Cup of Online Stratego

4.   Will Waterfall ever return to the site?

No, he is enjoying the sun of Thailand and has now found a new game perfect for him ...he can play against himself as much as he wants ...  it's called "solitaire" :P 

5.   Should you take a Colonel with a General?

no obligation ...but when the marsh is known on the other side or already out it is usually not a bad practice to take a col with your gen ;) 

6.   What gender is the spy?

This is still one of the biggest mystery on earth that has not yet been resolved

• Moriarty likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#15 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:59 PM

I apply! for the US!

That post was one of the most hilarious ones I've seen. Solitaire indeed.

Edited by Moriarty, 01 April 2016 - 10:59 PM.

#16 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:02 PM

Napoleon, I almost fell for that big thing about Syria and Ufuk. Nice job.

I keep on forgetting it's April fool's day.

Does anyone know what Actually happened to Ufuk?

Edited by Fairway, 01 April 2016 - 11:07 PM.

#17 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:18 PM

Ufuk was a Turkish friend of mine. I miss him very much. I am many others were or are his friend as he was very outgoing. We just lost touch. That was very creative Napoleon and oh were it to be true. I wish Obama would sit down with a map and explain to the American people what is really going on in the middle east, but many Americans are just too busy to care. They have lives and kids and all they want is for the government to protect them. It's one of the most complex issues in the world and not one that is easily discussed. Didn't we learn our lesson in Vietnam, Iraq and the never ending war in Afghanistan that bombing them into the stone age doesn't work? However the problem cannot be resolved by ignoring it. ISIL will not roll over. I think Ufuk left the forum because of the religion topic.

Edited by QueenofHearts, 02 April 2016 - 06:46 AM.

• Fairway likes this

Queenbee

#18 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

My business was network security. Not in the same group as Donald Trump's goons.

Stratego World Cup will never happen. Who wants to be associated with FIFA anyways? A bunch of criminals.

I don't think anyone should have an alias and Stratego should be subscription based and that would eliminate the problem

Stratego will likely never be an Olympic sport. Chess has applied for the 2020 Olympics and the likelihood is low.

Waterfall? I've seen people talk about it, but I don't know what it means. I assume cheating on a grand scale. I assume that cheaters will be here as long as there is an ELO system. Take that away and problem is solved.

I prefer to sacrifice a marshal to take out a general (as long as you know where the other player's marshal is) rather than a potentially losing a general to gain colonel. A general's only enemy is the marshal and if there has been enough movement, I can take out half an army by staying out of the Marshal's reach.

The spy is a representation of a female if that is the point. How could that be confusing to anyone? The nails, eye makeup, lipstick and hair are all the things women use to attract men. As we get older we use it to hide the age, as if we could. Then there are those who don't care what others think. Cosmetics are damn expensive and a ritual I discarded after turning 55.

Optician where are all the senior players who used to discuss things? Did they all get bored?

I will toast my first free drink here to the "art of conversation." Seems to be long ago dead. May it rise and shine here.

Edited by QueenofHearts, 01 April 2016 - 11:22 PM.

• Fairway likes this

Queenbee

#19 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:55 AM

Yes, he left because of the religion topic. (thankfully it was closed)

I and sad he left, he was a nice man. :(

Edited by Fairway, 02 April 2016 - 01:59 AM.

• Master Mind likes this

#20 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

1.Only when a proper online system is set up.

2.Best thing is the alias never got disconnected, never got dropped during setup phase, never got lag. Worst thing is the alias feels bad when he plays a ranked(main) account and already knows what to expect.

3.Never say never

4.I think he has always been around.

5.With all pleasure, other rights reserved.

6.A lady.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users