Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:30 AM

Nice choreography IMO. Not sure how you do it and I don't care. Blacking out the names of your opponents? A 20-0 record? Everything appears staged. Nope not buying it. Can't waste my time on it. You must have a motive so good luck with that. Add sevenseas as a friend and show me what you can do against a real player.

20-0 is not that hard to pull off if you are above 800 points. Some luck is needed but it is doable. I am fairly confident who is behind this, they got the idea from me, a 20 win streak is within their ability.
3 - 0

#22 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,363 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:52 AM

For a player naturally above 800 ELO starting a new account , i would say 20-0 is more probable than doable.

20-0 would get you to 350 on average , so unlikely to be matched with anyone much higher than that on the way.

My last 20 games vs players 350 or below my score is 17-3 . The losses were to players rated 344,340 & 301 .

Most of the 20 would be vs below 300 though , my last 20 against <300 is 19-1 , the loss against someone on 283 .

#23 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

20-0 is not that hard to pull off if you are above 800 points. Some luck is needed but it is doable. I am fairly confident who is behind this, they got the idea from me, a 20 win streak is within their ability.

I don't doubt it. I am still wondering what the point of this is if there is no commentary. I need to understand why he moves what he does not just see it. I did this once and I was embarrassed beating all the bronze players. I would announce it was an alias, but I would be more impressed if he offered a draw to each opponent and had 20 draws. That is not always possible, but there is a real challenge, but then he wouldn't move up in rank and defeat his purpose. I'll look back on it when he is 40-0.

Edited by queenbee1, 17 January 2017 - 05:26 AM.

• ScottLafaro likes this

#24 Mystery.Player

Mystery.Player

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

Queenbee1, the idea of using commentary is a good idea. Thank you for sharing. If you or anyone else would be interested in doing this I would be willing to post your commentary from the previous game with my weekly uploads. 

I was more careful not to make stupid mistakes for this game. I hope you enjoy it more than some recent videos. 

Here is the link for game #21

https://youtu.be/rpERXSCDVb8

• MAGATRiUMPh likes this

#25 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

Greetings, Mystery.Player! I believe what QueenBee1 was suggesting is not a written commentary, but an audio commentary which would be a part of your video describing your thought process as you play against your opponents–as an example, "Here, my opponent brings out a piece which, I believe, is a bluff. I prepare to counter this attack with a moderate level piece instead of giving away too much information; this in turn leads me to believe that his general is lurking nearby."

This kind of a video would provide your journey a unique and highly useful chronicle. If you care to discuss this with me, you may send me a PM and I would be delighted to hear from you.

Thank you for your spirited contributions...it is clear you are building an audience and we may all benefit.  :D

Sincerely,

–Gwynplaine  :lol:

"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#26 A.P.B.T fanatic

A.P.B.T fanatic

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

Yea, audio commentary would be cool  :) 

#27 Mystery.Player

Mystery.Player

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Gwynplaine, I did understand that queenbee was referring to a verbal commentary and is the reason I suggested someone else provide it. My vision has never been to add my own commentary to this youtube channel, partially to hide the mystery of my accent. Other sports like cricket and futbol and many others around the world have people beside the players do the commentating and the other reason I suggested someone else provide the enjoyable addition. I like the idea and I do thank you for your suggestions. 

About the game,

this is a unique match of any of the first 21. I did a poor job at showing the best way to defeat an opponent easily that uses this style because he quit early but this is a fun type to play. Showing four bombs from the start, the Marshall and General allows for a tremendous amount of lotto including using Kolonels to do so. A piece of advice to those prone to use my opponents style when playing, your showing WAY TO MUCH way to fast, don't do this. Hide bombs better, especially if you are going to use your two highest pieces so quick. 

I hope you enjoy watching this one as much as I enjoyed playing it

Game #22 https://www.youtube....h?v=0_FUPCTuYlE

#28 Mystery Player

Mystery Player

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

I do not like to find the Marshall as one of the first moves in a game. I usually need a few moves or more to position but once you find the Marshall, most opponents will put a lot of pressure with it. This was not the start of a game that I wanted. The only thing that kept me confident throughout the game was knowing my opponents general. I knew with patience I could development the board into an advantage for me because my Marshall was unknown. Taking my opponents Marshall without losing my General would have been a significant advantage but that did not happen. Losing the General prevented me from being able to pinch anything higher than a Major and me trading one of my Kolonels early on was stupid in attempt to even do that. The ability to pinch pieces is the most powerful element in the game. Doing this properly requires skill, information and material but patience is always the most important thing when making this happen.  I realized at about five minutes that I was not ready to trade my opponent down after foolishly starting to do so. 

At 7:55 my opponent made a mistake which would have revealed my own bluff to any decent player but he did not catch it. I allowed him to keep his pieces in a safe position but because he did not know how to do this it should have sent a red alarm off in his head that my piece was not the Marshall when I did not take either his Kol or Maj. This would have been very bad for me if he caught it so I was happy he did not. His mistake allowed me to take a Kol which in turn allowed me the option to pinch every piece on the board besides my opponents General. The game did not get this far but you will have to watch to learn why. I hope you enjoy!

Game #23 https://youtu.be/FgBAPd6CtYo

Thanks for watching,

MP

#29 Mystery Player

Mystery Player

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

I am back from a very busy couple of weeks. I apologize for missing last weeks upload but I hope you like this one. This week is a game that is short, sweet and to the point. My opponent did have the capability to handicap me due to lotto after I find the Gen but luckily for me, it was not as bad as it could have been. 

Game #24 https://youtu.be/J599P9eZiFE

I am hoping for an exciting game #25 for next weeks upload. We will see if I accomplish my first achievement or fail it but not until next week. 

Thanks for watching,

MP

• Fairway and ScottLafaro like this

#30 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,255 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

You play against a silver leuit, but the title says silver sargeant.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#31 Mystery.Player

Mystery.Player

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

You play against a silver leuit, but the title says silver sargeant.

You are correct. I do not have the ranks memorized and count the stripes as I say the ranks so I must have missed one. Thank you for pointing this out. I will try to be more aware next week. It shows you pay attention well. 

• Fairway likes this

#32 Mystery.Player

Mystery.Player

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Here is a four minute video for the game some of you have been anticipating. Not much can happen in just four minutes but some of my favorite maneuvering of the whole match was in the beginning middle lane after I found the major and Lieutenant. I hope you have enjoyed my first twenty-five videos. 

For anyone who has watched the majority of my videos, do you have favorites or least favorites you would like to share?

What did I consistently do that you did not like and what are some things that you found to be helpful with how you play?

What are some flaws or strengths in my set ups that you have noticed?

Game 25

https://www.youtube....h?v=7jJCBjh4TqM

Thanks for watching,

MP

#33 ScottLafaro

ScottLafaro

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Wow 25 in a row. The game wasn't very spectacular but who cares wins!. 

I watched all of your games and I learned to attack with low pieces and let the enemy walk in you trap of well placed high pieces or excellent blufs!

I really liked game 20. Your plan really came together in this particular game.

You are Dutch!?

Edited by ScottLafaro, 25 February 2017 - 07:19 PM.

thus spoke zarathustra

#34 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

He is not dutch. 

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#35 njphillips12

njphillips12

Miner

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

it's been a while Mystery Player. Where have you been?

• Gwynplaine likes this
- N

#36 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

it's been a while Mystery Player. Where have you been?

Ah! That's the mystery!!!

"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#37 ScottLafaro

ScottLafaro

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Looking forward to another game and hopefully he will undisguise after 30 wins in a row!

thus spoke zarathustra

#38 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

For a player naturally above 800 ELO starting a new account , i would say 20-0 is more probable than doable.

20-0 would get you to 350 on average , so unlikely to be matched with anyone much higher than that on the way.

My last 20 games vs players 350 or below my score is 17-3 . The losses were to players rated 344,340 & 301 .

Most of the 20 would be vs below 300 though , my last 20 against <300 is 19-1 , the loss against someone on 283 .

You don't account for the good players that start another account to play.  So he might be playing some decent players(I only watched a few of his games).  Winning 20 in a row is still hard to do for most players.  If you want a good challenge, try winning 10 in a row with an open flag on the top row on either far side.  That's hard to do.  Also try winning 10 in a row without moving your Marshal the entire game(keep it hidden in the back row).

I might start a youtube channel showing some winning strategies and tips soon.  I have to go through lots of old games to find examples of what to do and what not to do.  Plus I need to figure out the best way to record commentary to the video clips.  Below is a link to one of my favorite miner bluffs.  Sometimes a plan works out brilliantly.

http://www.screencas...32-93f4bc4dacfb

Edited by Dobby125, 11 March 2017 - 06:18 PM.

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#39 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

I got to 55-0 once (as YourBiggestFan), I think I still got the screenshot somewhere on my computer.

20-0 & 30-0 are easily doable for anyone above 800 elo. Bigger win streaks require a bit of luck but are still possible. 

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#40 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,363 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

You don't account for the good players that start another account to play.  So he might be playing some decent players(I only watched a few of his games).  Winning 20 in a row is still hard to do for most players.

Not necessary to account for higher players on aliases at that level .

For all the talk on here about them, at any one time , maybe there are 5 or 6 higher level players with aliases below 300 on their way up . Meanwhile there are thousands of genuine players at that level , so very improbable to meet any strong player in a 20 game sequence that begins at ELO 100.

For the last 2 years i have results of all ranked games i have played . I have been matched against opponents lower than 300 more than a hundred times and i have not seen one of them make it to platinum . A handful of them i have seen get above 500 but clearly they just improved their play over hundreds of matches . At the time i played them they were genuinely at their level.

If you want a good challenge, try winning 10 in a row with an open flag on the top row on either far side.  That's hard to do

It's hard mainly as in a 10 game sequence highly likely that opponent fires a Scout at it on first or 2nd move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users