iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

Wogomite - it is my conclusion after many years of play, that sometimes the game is won before it starts. I see it more in Quick Game here, but you get an awful lot of bronze players who play that and when they come up against me they make comments before the game even begins like "wow, nice rank, you must be real good!" and stuff. When I see that, I know they aren't going to win - its already in their heads that they've drawn an impossibly good player. You cannot underestimate the mental aspect of this game and the need to apply your focus - but if you're already thinking you're outclassed because the opponent has a much better ranking than you, the chances are you won't give the focus 100% so your slim chances of winning now become even slimmer.

Seen it happen in the full game too, more so on other sites where you can play all levels of ability. It used to happen to me too when I was at the equivalent of a gold player. I'd see a top player and think to myself 'oh great, a loss coming up' which isn't the right approach. I found myself starting to beat these players more consistently by accepting the challenge and applying myself to the game fully.

On the flipside, and I'm guilty of this myself sometimes - the opposite can apply. As a higher level player, I see a bronze player with a record of say, 60-140. I take my eye off the ball thinking 'easy win here' and make some moves you wouldn't dream of making against a better player. But if the wheels come off then all of a sudden you can lose and you're left a bit shocked but with only yourself to blame!

#82 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Wogomite - it is my conclusion after many years of play, that sometimes the game is won before it starts. I see it more in Quick Game here, but you get an awful lot of bronze players who play that and when they come up against me they make comments before the game even begins like "wow, nice rank, you must be real good!" and stuff. When I see that, I know they aren't going to win - its already in their heads that they've drawn an impossibly good player. You cannot underestimate the mental aspect of this game and the need to apply your focus - but if you're already thinking you're outclassed because the opponent has a much better ranking than you, the chances are you won't give the focus 100% so your slim chances of winning now become even slimmer.

Seen it happen in the full game too, more so on other sites where you can play all levels of ability. It used to happen to me too when I was at the equivalent of a gold player. I'd see a top player and think to myself 'oh great, a loss coming up' which isn't the right approach. I found myself starting to beat these players more consistently by accepting the challenge and applying myself to the game fully.

On the flipside, and I'm guilty of this myself sometimes - the opposite can apply. As a higher level player, I see a bronze player with a record of say, 60-140. I take my eye off the ball thinking 'easy win here' and make some moves you wouldn't dream of making against a better player. But if the wheels come off then all of a sudden you can lose and you're left a bit shocked but with only yourself to blame!

So as a conclusion, I would summarize what you said for a top player to be a top player, you must not ever take your eye off the ball and never think that the ball is going to fast to hit. I agree very much with what you said.

• sevenseas likes this

#83 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

Basically yeah. But if you're the lower ranked player you also have to believe you can still win the game - everyone starts equal, after all. If you look at your opponent's rank and start shaking with fear, you're done for and may as well not even bother playing the game. I was in this position the other day when I came up against Hielco - my first response when  I saw who I was playing was "oh, crap" but I quickly changed that to "this is a great chance to pick up loads of points and a big win!" and I applied myself. I lost, but I did make him have to work hard for it and I know I can beat him, albeit he will win more often. But had I kept the 'oh crap' line of thought I probably would have taken a couple of risks, gone down a couple of pieces and then turned to blitzing, which is highly unlikely to work against someone at that level.

The same applies in the lower levels, you need to see the opportunity and focus on playing your best game to beat people well above you.

You see it in sport all the time, and you also see big upsets happen because the better team or player went in with the wrong attitude, thinking it would be a cakewalk.

Edited by iron_maiden, 09 June 2016 - 07:03 PM.

• --Wogomite-- likes this

#84 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

After doing a little Stratego research, it seems to be that Tim Slagboom should be recognized as a top contender. I do not know if he plays here at Stratego.com and if anyone knows the answer to that, I would like to know. Maybe gravon or meta?...he kind of looks like playa1

Also...the final four of the winners bracket in the Spring tournament are battling it out. Two Greeks vs. Two Dutch.

I am curious if the Final two would consist of a greek and dutch or two of either....the team tournament has shown the same outcome in the same two country's battling it out for Champion. It does seem to show that a part from the best players, these tournaments have also shown the best countries over all.

...(after a days since the above paragraph was written) the Dutch take both players to the final two undefeated seats in the spring tournament! Hielco and Nortrom

Good job to the Greeks and Dutch for taking such a beautiful game to the next level!! I hope to see other countries with such a will to win in this game soon.

• KARAISKAKIS likes this

#85 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:22 AM

After doing a little Stratego research, it seems to be that Tim Slagboom should be recognized as a top contender. I do not know if he plays here at Stratego.com and if anyone knows the answer to that, I would like to know. Maybe gravon or meta?...he kind of looks like playa1

Tim is indeed playa1.

#86 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:33 AM

Tim is indeed playa1.

I am interested to know why his elo is not much higher. From what it says about him online, he should be up there with the top.

#87 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:18 AM

He only plays tournament matches here i believe , not ranked games .

I believe he was about 800 ELO from a small number of ranked games when Napoleon's list began and is still on that now nearly 2 years later .

#88 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,345 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

In the Netherlands, Tim is a moderator of the Dutch 'Strategobond'. This is the temporarily site:

https://strategobond...ess.com/page/2/

He indeed plays a lot in live tournaments (previous NK he ended up 3rd I believe, and in the Regional Championship in the Hague he was 1st). I also think he is at least in the top 3 of the Netherlands: Nortrom, Hielco and playa1.

#89 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

I also think he is at least in the top 3 of the Netherlands: Nortrom, Hielco and playa1.

I don't know why he did not play in the team tournament. The three of them would have been like what the Chicago Bulls had in the Ninety's.

#90 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,493 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

I don't know why he did not play in the team tournament. The three of them would have been like what the Chicago Bulls had in the Ninety's.

He wasn't available due vacations

#91 Dr. Zomboss

Dr. Zomboss

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:03 AM

My top 5 are

mrbrainiac

Sevenseas

Master Mind

Yellowhat

Fairway

• --Wogomite-- likes this

#92 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

But what is that based on exactly? Clearly not the rankings. I just beat sevenseas yesterday - he won the first game through lotto after he was all out of options, we played again and I won easily. Not trying to boast or anything, he is a tough player - but to me he wasn't the same standard as say, Hielco, who administered me fairly quickly yesterday as well!

#93 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

I suppose everyone has different criteria for their 'Best 5'. If I were to go on results based on the last couple of years it would be Hielco.

If sportshumanship were the criteria I would pick Kambia (who insisted on replaying a tournament game against me when I got booted) or cflag (who before I knew him offered me a tie in a ranked game when I forgot his Marshall).

Or perhaps it would be someone who helps the community learn through publishing tips or entertaining videos - Enigma and Silverhammer come to mind.

Or maybe another criteria would be the players willingness to have a post-game chat - where a player may make some helpful observations about your set-up or discuss some aspect of the game. (I recall both Losermaker and maxroelofs helping me in this regard).

That admittedly is seven, but they're all tied for first (as will be many others who I have either never played or forgotten. No disrespect obvs)

#94 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:28 PM

If i had to make my own ranking of top 5 players these would be:

1) hielco
2) nortrom
3) morx
4) overlord-98
5) playa1

...with overlord-98 becomi g soon number1 ...
  • OVERLORD likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#95 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:47 PM

But what is that based on exactly? Clearly not the rankings. I just beat sevenseas yesterday - he won the first game through lotto after he was all out of options, we played again and I won easily. Not trying to boast or anything, he is a tough player - but to me he wasn't the same standard as say, Hielco, who administered me fairly quickly yesterday as well!

And your ego is big enough to fill the top 5 spots all on its own... congratulations.

3 - 0

#96 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

Don't misrepresent the facts.

I wasn't out of options the first game, we both had a general & col, and I was down 2 majors. I could shuffle my gen around the lake and you let my col freely into your strong side of the board so I attacked. You were down a lot of small pieces and I figured out a few of your bombs. 

I win more than I lose but it's just a game. Some people I can beat easily but others I struggle with. Sohal comes to mind as someone who can beat me consistently. 

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#97 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

Actually I had your gen trapped with mine, but hadn't seen your col which is why he got loose for the lotto. Anyway it doesn't matter as I won the next game with no fuss, my point was simply you're not a top 5 player. Apparently saying that means I have a big ego, when in fact neither of us are anywhere near it - hopefully that isn't misrepresenting the facts!

#98 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:02 PM

My general was certainly not trapped, it could circle the lake.

I never claim to be the best player. 

#99 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:44 AM

Yeah, it was - and the reason I am clear on that is because the moves I spent getting my general across to trap yours was the time you used to get your colonel out, while mine was still over near the generals and out of position to defend. I suddenly thought to myself 'damn, that's probably the colonel' and it was.

#100 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:10 AM

That's not how the game went. Perhaps you got confused as to which piece is my general.

I'm not stupid enough to let my general be trapped when down other pieces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users