iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:46 PM

Interesting debate. I always play to win - the number of times I've got into arguments with the wife because I've come late for my dinner as a result of having to finish a game is a lot! But I absolutely cannot just give up, I think the house would have to be on fire for me to leave an unfinished game, although I do sometimes give up when its clearly a lose cause - I'm not one of these people who fights to the last piece when there is clearly no chance. But as long as I still think I can win, I play on. Against top players, this requires a lot of concentration and effort, and the game is normally at least 30 minutes long. On Gravon this is one of the advantages of being able to pick and choose who you play - if you are tired and don't fancy toughing it out you can look for a lower ranked opponent and likely an easier game. These are the times you just want to play for fun.

So you ask, if you aren't playing for fun, why play the best? And the answer is because the fun comes in winning those games! It's an enormous buzz to win a hard fought game against a world class player, its exhilarating in fact. When you have the time and the energy and you settle in to take on a juicy opponent, you have to have the right mind set and if you have that, and you are a decent enough player, you know you have a chance to win. If your mindset isn't right there really isn't any point playing the game. This is where on this site I opt for a quick game instead because that's just a bit of fun with no consequences.

Not everyone wants to turn their stratego into something that meaningful, not everyone is competitive enough to care about their rank or if they win or lose. Those people rarely become very good, let alone among the very best and that is the same in any discipline.

To conclude, there will now be some people going 'ok but then what's the point in taking it so seriously and putting so much into it? Its just a game!' and I think the answer is each person gets out from it what they want to get. For me the fact there is no audience, no prize money, no trophies - doesn't matter. I get an enormous sense of satisfaction from winning and this is something I win a lot at. The pinnacle may come in beating a top player yes, but I still very much enjoy beating players ranked below me. I can beat a silver player and get only 1 or 2 points for it but the win is what counts, not the points.

• GaryLShelton likes this

#62 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

Oh and down the years on Gravon there have been some great players who maybe don't play here or have stopped playing. DC Annies, AceRimmer, Wussy, Lightwing, Noes, Rapunzel, Zach21....don't know if some of them go by other names here but they all seem to have stopped playing at Gravon.

#63 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:40 AM

It looks as though the top two players have played two or three games combined since yesterday. Hielco loves that 100 point lead and SEKERTZISS looks to have won one or two games and is closing in close than hielco likes. I think Hielco knows he may finally be knocked from #1 for the first time in 4 years and could be the cause of his activity and single point increase. I enjoy looking at the ranks and not seeing the same ol' numbers all the time. Good job to the two of you!! That is something I respected about kernal mustard, he reached second but did not camp. He had an account bmende that he never played on....left it at around 650 points and stuck with kernal mustard.  He only played on kernal mustard even when he was in the top just because he loved to play stratego and being ranked high did not scare him from playing games. He has been inactive for sometime but would be a fighting competitor in the top ten. I hope he makes a come back one of these days.

• sevenseas and Master Mind like this

#64 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

The problem when you get that high is you hardly pick up any points no matter who you play - and as a platinum marshal myself I can confirm quite often you don't get paired against other platinum level players. It seems to me the longer the game is searching for an opponent, the more likely when it finds someone they will be only a gold or even silver player. But quite often that's all you can get. Well for these guys that means only winning 1 point at a time, and even against other platinum players probably no more than 5 points as they have such a big lead on everyone else. That's what makes it tough to get much higher - you lose 1 game and that's 25 points off just like that, so it takes an awful lot of games just to make up for 1 defeat. I'd say going much higher is nearly impossible, even these guys aren't going to do much better than 1 loss in every 20 or so games. Everyone drops a game occasionally, no matter how good you are, maybe to a lotto player or just because someone gambles on a bluff and gets it right...and as I say, bam - 25 points gone just like that. So how do you climb much higher than where they are already?

• sevenseas likes this

#65 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

The problem when you get that high is you hardly pick up any points no matter who you play - and as a platinum marshal myself I can confirm quite often you don't get paired against other platinum level players. It seems to me the longer the game is searching for an opponent, the more likely when it finds someone they will be only a gold or even silver player. But quite often that's all you can get. Well for these guys that means only winning 1 point at a time, and even against other platinum players probably no more than 5 points as they have such a big lead on everyone else. That's what makes it tough to get much higher - you lose 1 game and that's 25 points off just like that, so it takes an awful lot of games just to make up for 1 defeat. I'd say going much higher is nearly impossible, even these guys aren't going to do much better than 1 loss in every 20 or so games. Everyone drops a game occasionally, no matter how good you are, maybe to a lotto player or just because someone gambles on a bluff and gets it right...and as I say, bam - 25 points gone just like that. So how do you climb much higher than where they are already?

It's tough. I try and play in the evenings when a lot of good players are online. I rarely get matched with anyone below 700. But for me, someone at 700 is only worth 3 points.

When I play ranked games, a trick I often employ is to "cancel search" if it goes on for more than a minute, then click ranked again. I find I have a higher chance of drawing a good opponent by doing that. 

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#66 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

Playing aggressively has helped me reach a new peak. But when I say that I don't mean rushing in blindly with my Marshal/general etc, it's about finding the right time to attack if you know the opponent's setup or have a feeling where your opponent's pieces are.

#67 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:29 PM

Case in point - I just lost to lotto against a platinum marshal who actually had about 100 more points than me. Macadones something or other. I was all over him - he'd bombed his general and a major and I'd taken a col, but what does he do? Lottos with the marshal, finding the flag in a square that is often where players put bombs. Unbelievable. That's actually worse than losing to some chump who's lottoing, because you have to play well to get that far up on a top player and then they come back and nick it by playing like a di*khead.

Very frustrating!

#68 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

Yeah that's sekertziss. He often plays lotto but you need to defend against it. Lotto is a valid strategy. 

#69 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:33 PM

Yeah that's sekertziss. He often plays lotto but you need to defend against it. Lotto is a valid strategy. 

I beg to differ...well among a group that is proud to show off there skill, lotto is nothing to prove the worth of any top Stratego mind. Don't get me wrong. There are many "very good" Stratego players that lotto when they are down. I mean let's be honest, if your down and know you will lose, why not at least try right? Many players out there can play a good game but then lotto successfully half of the time. Their good skill plus fifty percent lotto success rate when loosing may boost their elo just enough to upset a few players. If that is the valid strategy refered to...then by all means, use your lotto to win a few extra games. People will know the way you play! Your reputation will be justice enough.  I can't stand lotto and am not defending it at all. I wish there was a rule that the moment you had to lotto you just had to surrender instead. Much more admirable in my opinion. But the reality is, lotto is not against the rules so what does that mean for someone not willing to be forced into such an uncontrolled environment? It means to adapt. How? Staying patient, pursuing your opponent based off of your skill and not their lotto or frustrating ways. Ignoring their "damage" and taking an advantage back through intentional offense always remembering info with the most efficient way obtaining it.

If lotto is the primary way that you are winning games...you really need to re-evaluate your style not only for your own reputation but for the sake of the people around you. I can name a few players that every time I play them I know they are fantastic players by the way they "dance" and play Stratego, you being one of them sevenseas. Then I play some that are supposed to be the best and are shocked at the risky things they do that could cost them the game if they were wrong. I bet you could guess which player I don't mind losing to?

• Nortrom, sevenseas and Master Mind like this

#70 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:46 PM

Yes, that's the valid strategy I refer to. I occasionally lotto with colonel or major when I have a feeling it's a good piece. which is fine (usually when ahead or behind,. not in a close game).

The people who charge in straight away with marshal/general  are lame.

#71 iron_maiden

iron_maiden

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

Well I'm not one to blow my own trumpet but I made mincemeat of seketziss if that was him earlier so at least I can take something away from it now knowing it was a top 5 player I destroyed.  I was actually surprised how easy it was. As for defending the lotto, unfortunately when I took his colonel it released his marsh to attack down the lane (I didn't know it was the marsh at this point) and I held him by bluffing a spy for ages but after he lottoed his general and major into my bombs, he went for the piece in front of his marsh, obviously if it had been my spy waiting it was game over but he was going to lose anyway. Then he took the next piece and that was the flag, so there was nothing I could have done but when someone takes a piece that's often a bomb and risks finding the spy you know you're all over them, so this was a gut wrencher.

I wonder if this is Zach21 from Gravon? A top player who uses lotto, quite a rare breed.

Edited by iron_maiden, 02 June 2016 - 11:57 PM.

#72 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:25 AM

Zach21 I think is manning2cruz here

#73 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:59 PM

Front page updated

#74 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,017 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

@ Wogomite:

Current top 5 gravon:

Overall

1. freddykreuger - (heilco)-1860

2. sohal-1752

3. losermaker-1729

4. fonias - (gkaros)-1694

5. flieger - (flieger_olaf)-1648

Yearly - 2016

1. freddykreuger-1860

2. sohal-1754

3. losermaker-1731

4. flieger-1724

5. fonias-1694

Previous 3 Years:

2015: 1. freddykreuger-1856, 2. sohal-1726, 3. fonias-1689, 4. garulfo-1648, 5. psychonaut-1644

2014: 1. sohal-1852, 2. zach21-1747, 3. sadistic-1702, 4. fonias-1700, 5. psychonaut-1694

2013: 1. razoa - (sohal)-1833, 2. acerimmer-1749, 3. nochance-1739, 4. fonias-1706 , 5. zach21-1696

Edited by Losermaker, 06 June 2016 - 10:45 PM.

• Walhall likes this

#75 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

@ Wogomite:

Current top 5 gravon:

Overall

1. freddykreuger - (heilco)

2. sohal

3. losermaker

4. fonias - (gkaros)

5. flieger - (flieger_olaf)

Yearly - 2016

1. freddykreuger

2. sohal

3. losermaker

4. flieger

5. fonias

Previous 3 Years:

2015: 1. freddykreuger, 2. sohal, 3. fonias, 4. garulfo, 5. psychonaut

2014: 1. sohal, 2. zach21, 3. sadistic, 4. fonias, 5. psychonaut

2013: 1. razoa, 2. acerimmer, 3. nochance, 4. fonias, 5. zach21

losermaker,

would you be able to edit scores into your list??

#76 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

Gravon 2013 : razoa is Sohal (renamed)

• --Wogomite-- likes this

#77 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:26 PM

After playing a 400 level just now...I have realized one thing about lottoing.

This guy just quit after realizing I have "outplayed him". All he would have had to do to take back an advantage was simply lotto anywhere his little heart desired. Based off of the guys positioning, all he would have had to do is take his colonel and simply have at it. At least try right? I mean why not? He has obviously lost and has a colonel to play with just in case before he quits. Most would have, I am used to that and expected it. I mean lets be honest...I lost 50 points today because of lucky players...its happens all the time. But for whatever reason this guy did not care enough to at least try. I immediately thought to myself, any of the good players would have at least went for something with what they have before they just surrender. We all know that a player who can win without lotto is admired, we also know who these players are but what about the players that do lotto, and still make it to the top? Obviously they still have something most don't. The will to win and the intuition to help them do it. Intuition helps even what some call "lottos" win. Ofcourse a part of me has a problem with this but the other part of me says....ok, now how do I even overcome this? I honestly don't know. but obviously there is a way. Hielco has obviously figured out how, nortrom, sohal, m2c, constrictor, even sekertziss. Somehow these guys know something about anti-lotto that even other great players don't know. One of the biggest things that intrigue me about a consistent player is their ability to prevent so many possibilities of luck. I don't want to blame the lotto for my losses anymore, I want to stop it.

#78 Witherguy22

Witherguy22

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:51 AM

Top 5 are:

1. mrbrainiac

2. Master Mind

3. Yellowhat

4. Fairway

5. (cannot name a person) but mainly, these are just some great players.

#79 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,255 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

Top 5 are:

1. mrbrainiac

2. Master Mind

3. Yellowhat

4. Fairway

5. (cannot name a person) but mainly, these are just some great players.

I hope this is the "top five that WitherGuy12 has played" 

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#80 Witherguy22

Witherguy22

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:58 AM

yes