#1 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

Ask your questions here about WinterTourn 2016/17 and a member of TC will get back to you.

#2 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Sergeant

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 354 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Does your time zone (in my case GMT+2) change into another one (+1 for me) because of the winter time. Do (all) other countries also have this?

Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#3 Bizevr

Bizevr

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

I would like to inform the tournament manager that, on October 30  timezone in Greece(GMT+3) is changing to GMT+2.

• TheOptician likes this

― C.S. LewisMere Christianity — “Even in social life, you will never make a good impression on other people until you stop thinking about what sort of impression you're making.” 

#4 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

Rule 18 states: "All players are equal and should be treated that way. Discrimination of any form will not be tolerated."

Kernel Mustard has advocated for discrimination on the basis of his religion in the Religion 2 topic. He has also made negative comments about LGBTQ people and the mentally ill. He has not stepped back from these comments. I understand that the TC wants to have as many players possible. However, KM's comments clearly constitute, and in his own words, discrimination.

My question is does the TC believe that KM is discriminating against anyone? If the answer is yes, I understand the decision to allow him to play, however this rule is pointless. Therefore, what is the point of having the above statement and would it not be prudent to eliminate it if the TC does not plan on enforcing it?

• texaspete09 likes this
3 - 0

#5 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 921 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

Probably this is more to be meant discriminating other Stratego players.

• Kernel Mustard likes this
First Dutch Champion Juniors 2015

#6 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

I know there are a number of female Stratego players on here, queenbee1 and Symmetric come to mind. I would be willing to bet there is a player on this site who is not straight and that at least once player has dealt with some form of mental illness in their lifetime (ie depression, an anxiety disorder or bipolar disorder).

So yes, there are Stratego players who KM has made negative comments about.

3 - 0

#7 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Moderators
  • 2,002 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:56 AM

3)     Who is eligible to play?

All non-banned players ranked at ELO 250 or higher by DATE are eligible to register.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#8 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

Rule 18 states: "All players are equal and should be treated that way. Discrimination of any form will not be tolerated."

Kernel Mustard has advocated for discrimination on the basis of his religion in the Religion 2 topic. He has also made negative comments about LGBTQ people and the mentally ill. He has not stepped back from these comments. I understand that the TC wants to have as many players possible. However, KM's comments clearly constitute, and in his own words, discrimination.

My question is does the TC believe that KM is discriminating against anyone? If the answer is yes, I understand the decision to allow him to play, however this rule is pointless. Therefore, what is the point of having the above statement and would it not be prudent to eliminate it if the TC does not plan on enforcing it?

3)     Who is eligible to play?

All non-banned players ranked at ELO 250 or higher by DATE are eligible to register.

Kernel Mustard does indeed hold and has expressed discriminatory views in the Religion 2 topic, and clearly Stratego players that belong to certain social categories are the victims of Kernel Mustard's views. TC did consider whether to accept his admission to WinterTourn, and though it was not unanimous, a key factor was the intention and nature of that particular thread. Namely - a place where all opinions on religion are allowed regardless. If Kernel Mustard's discriminatory views were to be expressed beyond a thread that was created to discuss religion then Kernel Mustard would be subject to disqualification under Rule 18. The Religion threads as such can be considered as exempt from this rule (and this is now reflected in the rules).

Thanks Napoleon for pointing out that 'DATE' isn't a date - this too has now been amended in the Rules.

• Lonello likes this

#9 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Kernel Mustard does indeed hold and has expressed discriminatory views in the Religion 2 topic, and clearly Stratego players that belong to certain social categories are the victims of Kernel Mustard's views. TC did consider whether to accept his admission to WinterTourn, and though it was not unanimous, a key factor was the intention and nature of that particular thread. Namely - a place where all opinions on religion are allowed regardless. If Kernel Mustard's discriminatory views were to be expressed beyond a thread that was created to discuss religion then Kernel Mustard would be subject to disqualification under Rule 18. The Religion threads as such can be considered as exempt from this rule (and this is now reflected in the rules).

Thanks Napoleon for pointing out that 'DATE' isn't a date - this too has now been amended in the Rules.

http://forum.strateg...iousness/page-3

KM makes derogatory remarks about the mentally ill and homosexuals in the above thread. The author, queenbee, explicitly started that topic as a secular one.

Regardless, where the discriminatory material is posted should not matter. Comments are either prejudicial or they are not, it does not matter if one justifies them with religion. In many ways it is worse because people are less willingly to challenge someone's beliefs if they share the same religion.

I will stop harping on this point now, but would like to express my disappointment with the TC for amending the rule. It is easy to call someone out in a topic for making offensive remarks. However, it is much harder to do when it has real consequences for you. As someone who has run tournaments on this site, I understand why the TC would want KM to participate. It is just regretful that when the TC is actually challenged to defend its anti-discriminatory stance it caves in.

• texaspete09 likes this
3 - 0

#10 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:50 PM

Astros,

i hope you appreciate that this is a particularly difficult area to traverse. The site rules forbid discrimination, whilst the moderating team is of the opinion that particular subjects which invite discussion, and exist in the off-topic sections of the forum, should allow users to post their opinions regardless of who they offend. TC will follow suit in that regard.

TC's function is to organise tournaments and not to police the forum. However some while ago TC felt it necessary to instil an anti-discrimination rule to avoid the cases where tournament players were making comments directed at other tournament players that while they were not considered 'abusive' they were discriminatory.

TC have decided not to punish opinions widely regarded as controversial so long as they are expressed in certain forums whose purpose is to discuss, and that entry will not be denied to those that post discriminatory views as a result of their interpretation of their religion. Granted there is a difficult question - at what stage can someone's discriminatory views be said to be infringing on tournament players? You might well argue that this is already the case.  But so long as Kernel Mustard airs his discriminatory views in 'get out of jail free card topics' then TC will not intervene. If he brings his views to the table elsewhere, then this will be a different matter entirely.

• GaryLShelton, sevenseas and texaspete09 like this

#11 Pergamonto1

Pergamonto1

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

Hello i am almost a new player and i would like some help because its my first tournament.

I just received the email to arrange the battle time, where i have to propose 3 different availability times.

So i answer back to the email that i received or i just pm with the other player that i will play with?

#12 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

Hi Pergamonto1,

Welcome to tournaments.

The PM you just received (WinterT PremR1 Pergamonto1 v Brainysmurf) is the place to arrange your game.

• Pergamonto1 likes this

#13 Pergamonto1

Pergamonto1

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

Ok thanks a lot!

#14 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

This question has been asked in private a couple of times, so for the benefit of players here it is:

What happens if I cannot make the default time?

(Extract From Rule 11):

If a player cannot make the default time for automatic arrangements, this must be communicated BEFORE Wednesday 23.59GMT of the relevant gameweek, in order to provide TC with sufficient time to attempt to co-ordinate an alternative default time. In this scenario, TC will require both players to provide two valid weekend STRs, which do not require their opponent to start the game earlier than 0800 Local Time or later than 2200 Local Time.

------

So, provided that a player informs TC that they cannot make the default time, each player is then asked for two valid weekend STRs, and TC will take it from there.

#15 Mr. AzeOth

Mr. AzeOth

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hello its my first tournament.

I just received the email to arrange the battle time, where i have to propose 3 different availability times?

Edited by Mr. AzeOth, 10 November 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#16 Mr. AzeOth

Mr. AzeOth

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:57 PM

where do i find my opponent for the 1st round?

#17 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

Go to the 'Challenge Zone' chat room and you'll find me there.

#18 Bill0nStrateg0

Bill0nStrateg0

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:19 AM

hey mr azeoth I know your new and have limited availability so O'll do everything I can to get this in when you can. just give me a time. ANYTIME !!!

#19 Master Mind

Master Mind

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 921 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

In the brackets on the challonge page, it says I got 12 points for my win over don mitsos and he 7. This needs to be changed to 6 and 1 I think :)

First Dutch Champion Juniors 2015

#20 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

Two draws worth 3 each ;-)

Points are meaningless though...

• Master Mind likes this