HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and all of your opinions. I now agree with you that the auto draw idea would be a failure, so I put together a new idea that I believe will solve the problem of chasers. Check it out on the link below. It might still need to be approved, so I also copied and pasted it as a quote. Please post your opinion on the new post titled: New Idea: How to deal with chasers and cheating.

http://forum.strateg...s-and-cheating/

QUOTE:
I’ve noticed a lot of players are complaining about “chasing” in Stratego. I have posted some comments about an Auto Draw feature, but I am happy to say that after viewing the opinions of other players on this website, I now agree with you that an Auto Draw option is the wrong way to deal with this issue. Therefore, I have put together an idea that I believe will stop players from cheating in this manner. I hope that this idea is easily understood by the community, but more importantly, the programmers.

IDEA: If 2 opposing pieces are resting on squares diagonally adjacent to one another, this is called a “Pre-Bind.” A “Pre-Bind” is readying the path for a “Full-Bind.” If 2 opposing pieces are resting on squares horizontally or vertically adjacent to one another, this is called a “Full-Bind,” meaning the pieces are bound together. A “Full-Bind” may only be created if a “Pre-Bind” was created first by 2 opposing pieces resting on squares diagonally adjacent to one another. Any pieces that are in a “Pre-Bind” can be labeled as a “Pre-Bind” if they are resting on any 2 squares connected diagonally adjacent to one another. Any pieces that are in a “Full-Bind” can be labeled as a “Full-Bind” if they are resting on any 2 squares connected horizontally or vertically adjacent to one another. Once a “Pre-Bind” is created, a player may choose to create a “Full-Bind” by moving their piece that is adjacently diagonal from their opponent’s piece, to adjacently horizontal or vertical from their opponent’s piece. Pieces that are connected by a “Full-Bind” are considered to be connected in a “2 Square Zone.” A “2 Square Zone” cannot be created from “Pre-Bind” by any means.

At any time, a piece may leave a “Full-Bind” by removing itself from the “2 Square Zone.” This will totally break the “Full-Bind,” but the AI must note that the “Full-Bind” has JUST been broken. If a player leaves or breaks a “Full-Bind” and the “Full-Bind” remains broken on the same player’s next turn, the AI will clear this note from the cache. On the opposing player’s turn, the opposing player may choose to NOT clear the AI cache by chasing the piece that has JUST left the broken “Full-Bind.” This will create a new or reconstructed “Full-Bind” and “2 Square Zone” with the same 2 pieces. Recreating or reconstructing a “Full-Bind” is considered chasing and the AI will store notes that the player is reconstructing the same broken “Full-Bind” over and over. Once any 1 of the 2 pieces are captured, the AI cache is cleared.

If an opposing player reconstructs the same broken “Full-Bind” 4 times in a row, both players will be prompted with a Warning card! The game will pause for 7 seconds and an image of a Warning card will appear on the middle of the game board, stating: “Delay of game (Opposing Player’s Name). You may not chase pieces that are unable to be captured.” The Warning card will then shrink down into a small icon and place itself next to the opposing Player’s name that gained the Warning card. The player that did not gain the Warning card will see that the opposing player now has a new Warning card next to their name. This will inform both players that the player with a Warning card is cheating by continuing to chase a piece that cannot be captured. Once a Warning card is prompted, the AI cache will be cleared on this issue.

There will be 3 different Warning cards that will be given in this order:
1.) Green Warning card
2.) Yellow Warning card
3.) Red Warning card
The Green and Yellow Warning cards will display the same exact text: “Delay of game (Opposing Player’s Name). You may not chase pieces that are unable to be captured.” The Red Warning card will display this text: “(Opposing Player’s Name,) the continual delay of game has forced your resignation.” Once a player has received a Red Warning card, the Warning card will shrink down to an icon next to the player’s name and then the Defeat logo will be displayed. The player that did not receive a Red Warning card will gain a Victory at this moment.

I really hope this resolves the chase issue that haunts us all. Opinions and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

HmmNess

OLD POST:
Every once and a while you come across a player that just doesn't accept a loss, or they believe that the game is a draw. You have more material then they do (pieces), but they think that maybe if they waste enough time, you will just forfeit. Usually this occurs when you have the same highest ranking piece as they do. (Example: Both Marshals are eliminated off the board, and both sides still have their General.)

The player will do this by moving his or her highest ranking piece across the game board and then back across the other side of the game board. Sometimes the player will just run around one of the lakes in the middle of the game board. If you choose to allow them to pass inside of your territory, and not defend your position, they will use their highest ranking piece to just run over all of your pieces that he or she has seen you move.

This type of back and forth movement will happen over and over as long as the players can stand it. You could be making the same moves for hours. Slowly, but surly you might be able to move some of your other pieces forward, but for the most part you end up moving your highest ranking piece back and forth to counter your opponents play.

Chess.com has a pretty good system to deal with this sort of problem. If they players keep moving the same pieces over and over with no results, after a certain number of moves the game is automatically labeled a draw. I am not sure of how many moves should be made before this auto draw function kicks in, but if both players move the same pieces over and over it should be a draw. I believe the player with the most material should get to choose to force a draw if this type of situation occurs.

A lot of players might think this is an easy way out for someone that is losing. I agree, and I think the losing player should resign. But, when a player is being unsportsmen like, the winning player should at least choose to force a draw instead of just waiting the situation out.

Opinions and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Image

#2 wazaaap

wazaaap

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Totally disagree , it doesnt matter if somebody has more pieces when he cant do anything with it. The action will be same if he didnt had other pieces
The goal is to capture eachother flag or capture all pieces and when its not happening then its a draw
Auto draw function would be nice - and theres only 1 way to continue moving and thats running a square around the "lake"
°_°

#3 Sadern

Sadern

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Well, in chess, there is the 50-move-rule: If 50 moves have passed, without a pawn move or a capture, the game is called a draw. I think something similar could be implemented here.

#4 BLeonard

BLeonard

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

IMO, in this type of situation, the only thing I would suggest would be ending the game after X amount of moves without a capture from either side. However, when this occurs, the side with the material advantage should win the game, as opposed to the game being a draw. That would discurage the player who has less material from simply stalling to try and get a draw out of what should be a loss.

Now, how many moves should it be without a capture and how big of a material advantage should be needed to declare one side a winner...? That's another discussion. Is 20 moves without a capture enough? Is having a 1 scout advantage enough to be considered a "material advantage?" I don't know, but I do know that I don't agree with a player being rewarded with a draw simply for stalling.

Just my thoughts.

-Bill

#5 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

You got me to agree Bill. The losing player should be hit with a Loss. I don't know if any amount of moves without capture would solve the problem. Sometimes you need to place your pieces in a way to trap you opponent and then wait for them to move. Definately there needs to be some sort of "Judge" in place, that can stop the delay of game. An AI judge would have to scan over the moves and perhaps count how many times the same piece has moved in the same squares without capture. Maybe there could be a button that you can press to call out for an AI scan or something. You would then choose the piece you wish to have the Judge watch over. You would only be able to use this option maybe 2 or 3 times.

The problem with this, is that the enemy player might just sacrifice or trade that piece down in order for them not to lose. Another problem might occur when a player just feels like watching over lets say your Marshall early in the game. You might move your Marshall in a way that could make you lose if you were trying to be sneeky. Kind of a stupid issue, but it really ruins the game at times.
Posted Image

#6 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Don't like where this thread is going. In no way should there EVER be any kind of incentive, direct or indirect, where a player can stall to get a draw in a situation that would most likely lead to there own defeat.

NO AUTO-DRAW. It is completely in contrast to the spirit of the game.

Spiff

#7 Spece

Spece

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

NO AUTO-DRAW. It is completely in contrast to the spirit of the game.

I think so too .... :)
Posted Image

#8 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and all of your opinions. I now agree with you that the auto draw idea would be a failure, so I put together a new idea that I believe will solve the problem of chasers. Check it out on the link below. It might still need to be approved, so I also copied and pasted it as a quote. Please post your opinion on the new post titled: New Idea: How to deal with chasers and cheating.

http://forum.strateg...s-and-cheating/
Posted Image

#9 M-D

M-D

Game Developer

• Administrators
  • 124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Because there are many different opinions about this subject, I think it's wise too keep it all in a central topic.

So I'll close this topic and hope you can continue the discussion here:
http://forum.strateg...nered-behavior/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users