QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

I thought this would be a topic that doesn't polarize us. Google has had its first crash already because the car could not recognize a two car bus (those with the accordion in the middle) and it ran smack into it. No one was harmed.

Now one day in the not too distant future a you will not need a car. You'll have an app that summons a car. You get in and it already knows the destination. 

Edited by QueenofHearts, 17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM.

• The Prof and Moriarty like this

Queenbee

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:06 AM

That's interesting about the car crash, Queen.

I don't think I'll be in the cheering section for this feature of the brave new world.  I have potholes where I live.  Better to trust a living breathing operator, says I.  

Yep, Viki is much safer and more secure. Will Smith would agree.  :)

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:04 AM

Only a hundred years ago we were still riding horses. We still had gas and kerosene lighting our homes. I am sure no one wanted to trade in old Bessie for a Model T.

Edited by QueenofHearts, 17 March 2016 - 02:53 AM.

Queenbee

#4 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:06 AM

Self driving is a big feature in the 2017 Leaf and nearly all new Teslas.

Edited by QueenofHearts, 17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM.

Queenbee

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:28 AM

Well, Queen, it's not perfectly relevant, no. But I don't share your visions for this future.  Which is to say, I don't back them, and will resist them.  It's not to say you don't have some validity in your point.  It may be cheaper on all fronts to take out the human element, and to use electric cars exclusively.  And it may be safer in the large perspective.  But there's a different mentality for those in the hinterlands as compared to the big cities.  In places where they actually post a 75 mph speed limit on the freeways they likely will resist such change more than the city dweller who rides the commuter train, subway, or bus every day.  Where I'm from they'll probably move from tipping cows to tipping little electric cars.   :)   In my occupation selling fireworks I see the encroachment of government more than most and have a chance to ponder it more than many.  The old saying, give them an inch and they'll take a mile goes double for the government.  So in the end you may actually be right.  But there will be lots of resistance along the way.  As you have said yourself we have a love affair with the automobile.  

I also point out that the Viki / I Robot thing is a real concern for me in your envisaged world. The security issues of transponders that can trace one's every movement in a car are a growing reality.  Right now we have these transponders in cars and people who have junk for brains exclaim happily, "I get a half-price deal with the IPass!"  They don't remember that the tolls before the IPass explosion were the same as what they were immediately afterwards and only the cash payers (like myself) got a raw deal by the fees being doubled.  Since then it's risen for both cash and transponders, but it's still double for the former.  The intent of this pricing is obviously to encourage the use of the transponders.  The IPass cars get to fly by at highway speed through the toll booths ("Open Road Tolling", they call it) while the poor cash payers have to slow down, stop, wait, and dig for change, as they have for decades.  They've even moved the cash pay lanes over to the far right and therefore put them in the most difficult places to get to when one is travelling down the road and one suddenly notices the cash lanes going by and sees the warning signs about missing tolls....Been There, Done That. :(

All this has only been a few years ago.  When the former Governor George Ryan of Illinois began saying in the late 1990's that Illinois could do away with its toll roads (they didn't need the money, can you imagine!), the next thing you know they've got the guy up for racketeering and are sending him off to the Big House.  Blagojevich, the next governor not only didn't close the toll roads, he expanded them with a frenzy and the explosion of the electronic tracking devices.  People driving on the toll roads pay the same highway taxes as freeway users and also pay the tolls on top of it.  Ryan would have really helped the people to have removed them.  

Ding, ding, ding.  I'm coming out of this tangent I've gone on now.  And I'd say that, Queen, you could very well turn out right.  But I don't want that future.  Won't it be weird one day when kids ask, "What was it like to drive a car?"   :)

• QueenofHearts likes this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#6 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

Now that is what I call a well thought out opinion.

Apparently no one else has an opinion of this topic so it may as well be locked up.

Edited by QueenofHearts, 17 March 2016 - 02:55 AM.

Queenbee

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

You can say "from my cold dead hands will they take away my GTO"  :)

#8 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:51 AM

So the question is what happens when we don't have a choice?

Edited by QueenofHearts, 17 March 2016 - 02:56 AM.

Queenbee

#9 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

General Motors buys self-driving car software company

NEW YORK — General Motors (GM) said Friday it has turbocharged its effort to win the self-driving car race with an acquisition.

The automaker — which is racing against tech giants Google and Apple, not to mention traditional car makers — said it has purchased San Francisco-based Cruise Automation, a software company dedicated entirely to self-driving car technology.

Edited by QueenofHearts, 17 March 2016 - 02:56 AM.

Queenbee

#10 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,737 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

What about the ethics next to this car?

CdrHfIcW8AEp_DJ.jpg

Lo

#11 tableplay

tableplay

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:51 AM

There is no doubt that the millions of taxi,bus,and truck drivers (as well as couriers) will be hired by Google AI and robotics departments (or those of their subsidiaries)  once their jobs are eliminated by robotic vehicles.

Edited by tableplay, 21 March 2016 - 01:52 AM.

#12 QueenofHearts

QueenofHearts

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:47 AM

There is no doubt that the millions of taxi,bus,and truck drivers (as well as couriers) will be hired by Google AI and robotics departments (or those of their subsidiaries)  once their jobs are eliminated by robotic vehicles.

Just as Kentucky coal miners will become the next gen of solar power engineers, it's a good observation that begs to question "what will our economy look like when most of the labor is outsourced to AI?" Will humans all just go to the beach or play video games all day and a virtual deposit will be sent to all humans bank accounts so that they can continue to consume pizza and drink beer? Other than being useless eaters to an ASI humans really have very few redeeming values. As Mr. Smith said in The Matrix we are not mammals at all. We are a virus on the planet.  :o

Queenbee

#13 tableplay

tableplay

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

With robots to grow, prepare, and serve food, along with caring for their children, the oligarchs will no longer need serfs.

The good news is that we can enjoy playing against AI Stratego while the world burns.

Just as Kentucky coal miners will become the next gen of solar power engineers, it's a good observation that begs to question "what will our economy look like when most of the labor is outsourced to AI?" Will humans all just go to the beach or play video games all day and a virtual deposit will be sent to all humans bank accounts so that they can continue to consume pizza and drink beer? Other than being useless eaters to an ASI humans really have very few redeeming values. As Mr. Smith said in The Matrix we are not mammals at all. We are a virus on the planet.  :o

Edited by tableplay, 21 March 2016 - 04:13 PM.

• Lonello likes this

#14 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 968 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

I completely forgot about this one, but had a long conversation about this with a friend today. Driverless cars, but even more so driver assisted cars are already here. The future is now and I can't trust the corporations or government to make the right decision, but can we program the cars ourselves? There is also the issue of computer hacking of cars that are hackable. How do you program automatic braking when the very concept of saving lives or accidents may result in fatal or serious unintended consequences. That is just the start of the ethical dilemmas resulting from driver assist cars that are already here. Driverless cars will soon replace them. If you hire a driverless cars are you responsible or a company like Uber? This is a reality whether you want it to be or not.

Here is one we bantered around. If I hire an Uber and I am drunk am I absolved of responsibility? What if I own the car? It appears the court will be full of liability cases.

Edited by queenbee1, 18 December 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#15 The Spectre

The Spectre

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

Automobiles are not only vehicles, they are love. 

As a sport car driver, I would never stop to drive my lovely car.  

#16 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 968 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:10 PM

Well the driverless cars are here in California. No one and the Tesla S has that feature and the first death was of course in Florida. The hypothetical question I will posit is if driverless cars can reduce automobile accident and fatalities at near 0 then it is only the humans that are endangering each other. This will be settled in the courts. Personally, I am looking forward to calling a driverless car service and sitting in the backseat. I am an impatient person. If I am sitting at a stop light with no cars around I just run it. I refuse to be a robot wasting minutes of my life because the light is red at 1130pm, but I would be happy to let the car drive itself.

#17 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 968 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:31 AM

Top misconceptions of autonomous cars and self-driving vehicles

• The Prof and The Spectre like this

#18 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 968 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:03 AM

I brought up the subject with family of Christmas. They cannot comprehend the issues ahead so I gave up. All day long they stared at the phones. That is one invention I wish never happened. It has killed the art of conversation.

• The Spectre likes this

#19 The Spectre

The Spectre

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:42 AM

I brought up the subject with family of Christmas. They cannot comprehend the issues ahead so I gave up. All day long they stared at the phones. That is one invention I wish never happened. It has killed the art of conversation.

Peoples are like a slaves in modern life.

Some of them are slaves to televison.

Some of them are slaves to smart phones.

Life must be much better than this.

#20 queenbee1

queenbee1

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 968 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:44 AM

Peoples are like a slaves in modern life.

Some of them are slaves to televison.

Some of them are slaves to smart phones.

Life must be much better than this.

You are so right Spectre. They are slaves to social media. Technology simply delivers it to them nonstop and I believe they are more connected to the unreal than the real. They act like they are hypnotized. We all have computers, but when someone visits you don't keep staring at it. Talking has been replaced by texting and I don't leave voice mails anymore. I don't want to impose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users