GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted A week ago

In various States the masking requirements are ending. Florida recently dropped all of its state requirements for masking. Where I live, in Indiana, the requirement will end October 17th. Mississippi ended its masking rules September 30th. Georgia's governor even sued Atlanta for requiring masks. Iowa and South Dakota never had mask requirements

All these events speak of a return to sanity. Here's an article published just a few days ago listing all the States and their masking requirements.

https://feeds.aarp.o....html?_amp=true

The article states that only 33 States currently have mask requirements. That's a great trend. Let those who wish to wear masks wear them, but leave the rest of us the heck alone.

While coronavirus is a real thing, the baseless worry over it is the main event. No one is dying from this thing who isn't immune deficient to begin with. It used to be in this country people had leaders like FDR who said, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." Now our leaders seem to be telling us to "Fear everything!" The concern over this thing and the wearing of masks is highly symbolic of our submission to the insane bureaucrats and the government. I remember sensible elders telling me when I was in the 5th grade and worried about germs that I would grow out of it. We as a country are kind of like my germophobic 5th grade self. I hope we grow out of this soon also.

Edited by GaryLShelton, A week ago.

Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#2 Verti_GO

Verti_GO

Sergeant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted A week ago

While coronavirus is a real thing, the baseless worry over it is the main event. No one is dying from this thing who isn't immune deficient to begin with.

What are your sources to claim such a thing?

The United States (and Spain) have a terrible rate of deaths and infections per million people. Both countries are among the 10 worst in the world. https://www.statista...on-inhabitants/

Does this mean that in the United States (and Spain) there are more immune deficient people than in Canada, Germany, Australia or South Korea? Or does it mean that there is something we are doing worse than them?

Iowa and South Dakota never had mask requirements. How are the numbers of deaths and infections in these two states? According to official data, both are among the states with the worst figures.
https://www.nytimes....s-us-cases.html

Scientists continue to recommend wearing face masks. https://science.scie...t/368/6498/1422
Probably because unlike politicians, they are exclusively concerned with people health, and not with the economy or with a handful of votes.

• Don_Homer, TheOptician and Fairway like this

#3 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,151 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted A week ago

My reference to claim such a thing is personal experience as a store manager. This summer we were not masked in Indiana. Illinois and Michigan were. Those two States provide the vast bulk of my customers. In the month of our heavy season in June and July we saw a couple hundred thousand people walk through our doors. Many had masks because that was required where they came from. But we Indianans did not because we weren't required to at that time. No one working for me tested positive for coronavirus even through all of that.

My workers are all high school/college age kids and none were affected. The only persons in my employ that had any kind of connection to this had another person in their household test positive. But those even those relatives only had mild symptoms and were over it quickly, and my employees still tested negative afterwards.

Just a couple weeks ago here in Indiana a guy died of blunt force trauma in a motorcycle accident near where I live. Because he had previously tested positive for coronavirus they called his death a coronavirus death. So I think they're cooking the books on this thing in a major way. Scaring us into submission is what they've been trying to do for 40 years, after all. With this "king of viruses" they've finally succeeded.

But trusting the government's numbers on this is the response they want. I feel like Winston Smith on 1984 saying this. Does no one remember HIV, Lyme Disease, Sars, Swine Flu, H1N1? How about Anthrax and Weapons of Mass Destruction? None of these things, and others, have turned out as the government fear mongerers built them up to be. They all had their day in the sun and all failed to materialize.

Is coronavirus real? Yes, certainly. Is it hyped up beyond imagination? Definitely. If it were a real problem all the hospital beds in the country would be constantly full. They are not, being sometimes up and sometimes down.
Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#4 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

So much rubbish.

#5 Nortrom

Nortrom

Marshal

• WC Online Team
  • 4,047 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

Just write a rule against it, that'll help.

sOoQsuN.png

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,151 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted A week ago

Yes, while such anecdotes wouldn't hold up in a court of law, admittedly, believing the stats of the government is also a dangerous thing.  It's not like they've never been known to lie to us, of course.  Still, if you want a statistic consider Sweden.  No masks, no lockdowns, and small problems. The reality of this thing is that the fear of it, and the lockdown reactions of the government to it, are far more damaging and dangerous than the actual disease itself.  

Everyone feels the way he feels on this matter.  If you're more happy greeting people by bumping elbows instead of shaking hands, more power to you.  I'm just happy the masking requirement looks to be coming to an end in my State.  Normalcy will never return as long as masks dominate the public scene.

Posted Image

#7 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,775 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

Sweden small problems? Compare Swedish results to their Scandinavian neighbours. And if you don’t like the results, just say the government is making it up - it’s win win.

#8 Metal Storm

Metal Storm

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted A week ago

I think some progressive commie libturds should always be masked and muffled. 

• GaryLShelton and Nortrom like this

#9 Verti_GO

Verti_GO

Sergeant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted A week ago

Speaking about Sweden: https://www.svt.se/d...he-coronavirus/

Sweden: 578.8 deaths / mil
Norway: 51.7 deaths / mil
Finland: 62.7 deaths / mil
Denmark: 115.1 deaths / mil
USA: 655.2 deaths / mil

In May, the country (Sweden) recorded the most Covid-19 deaths per capita in Europe. Its toll per million inhabitants remains 10 times higher than that of Norway and Finland, although lower than Spain and Italy.

Source: https://www.theguard...d-19-experience

• Don_Homer likes this

#10 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted A week ago

The US has almost 300,000 excess deaths in 2020 through the end of september compared the average of the previous 5 years 2015-2019. That's somewhat less than 1 extra death per 1,000 citizens. Note that these statistics are not senstive to cause of death registration. Apart from your freak traffic accident mishap, it also corrects for people never diagnosed with COVID-19 because they were never tested.

The Netherlands had 9,000 excess deaths in the same period, or about 0.5 extra death per 1,000 citizens. Germany had only 4,2000 extra deaths at 81M, so 0.05 per 1,000, and so it did 10 times better than the Netherlands and 20 times better than the US. South Korea only had 1,000 extra deaths at 50M population (0.02 per 1,000).

Of course, South Korea is really really strict in testing, tracing and masks. Germany is European champion, but the Netherlands is sorely lacking. Draw your own conclusions about the US...

• Don_Homer and Fairway like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#11 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted A week ago

I am not denying that COVID-19 is a serious disease, pandemic, and threat to public safety. Even people who survive the disease, including younger people, are often left with significant damage to their lungs and heart, which could impact their longevity later in life.

However, I will say that I am skeptical of the USA statistics given how many proven cases there have been of misreported numbers, especially deaths reported as "COVID-19 deaths" when the person died of something else and didn't even have the illness, or they had it and it wasn't a contributing cause (such as the person being in a deadly vehicle accident). Take it from someone who lives in the US: the numbers deserve some skepticism. I think the really telling number is going to be how the total number of deaths in the USA in 2020 (all causes) compares to 2019 and 2018.

Regardless, I have no problem wearing a mask to help protect the vulnerable people in my community. It isn't really a big deal to wear a mask. That said, I never give anyone a hard time if I see him or her not wearing a mask, because some people have legitimate health reasons not to wear one.

#12 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 4,499 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted A week ago

Completely and wholeheartedly disagree. I have several people in my family, both young(er) and old, who have immune deficiencies and/or an immune system that fails to work. If I got COVID-19, I'd feel sick for a couple days, a week, maybe two weeks. Then it'd be over. It would be no problem for me.

But I have to be very careful because I live with several people with immune deficiencies. If they got the virus, I'd put the chances of survive at 50/50, and that might even be generous. And that's not an exaggeration in the least bit.

The thing about masks is that they really only work when everybody is wearing one. If I wear a mask but nobody around me does, it does me little to no good. So while you might not care and you don't want to wear a mask, and think that it should be only a voluntary action for the mask-wearer, keep in mind that your refusal undermines the efforts of those wearing masks as well.

It is the duty of the government to protect its people. To what extent it should do that has been an argument for the ages. I think that mask mandates save lives, limit the spread, and are therefore entirely justified for each state to implement. 

Freedom is an important thing but it must be curtailed in some respects. Speed limits. Drug laws. Seat belt laws (whether you agree with them or not).

Also, you mention how the COVID numbers are inflated in a couple of cases. Think of all the people, especially those in third world countries, who got and recovered or died of COVID and never even got a test to confirm that. I'd be willing to bet there's a whole lot more of those people than inflated death counts due to freak traffic accidents.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean but it seems pretty disgusting at face value.

No one is dying from this thing who isn't immune deficient to begin with.

• Don_Homer, texaspete09 and TalonsHand like this

3 months until flash goes bye-bye

#13 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,151 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted A week ago

Why is it disgusting, Fairway? That makes no sense. You yourself just said you have relatives who are immune deficient whom you worry about, while you feel the virus would be no problem for you. What I said sums up what you said. I am not disgusting with that statement unless you are also. But you aren't, because I wasn't.

It's only on the mask propaganda we will disagree. I wear a mask because it is required but feel it's ridiculous. You believe in them. While I appreciate your Republican leanings you're too young to have experienced many of the scares that have been promoted in the press over the decades. The famous phrase that applies with this latest scare is "This, too, shall pass."

Normal shall never mean masks on everyone. I shoot for normal.
Posted Image

#14 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted A week ago

You're a moron, thanks for the reminder

But then again you were open to the idea that the earth is flat...

So I guess I should not be too surprised

Edited by astros, A week ago.

I like to rub my wenus

#15 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted A week ago

Just about everything in the USA government's response has been unfortunate.

1. Locking down the entire country provided little or no benefit to 95% of the country.  Was a lockdown needed in NY/NJ/Conn?  Yes.  A few other large cities?  Yes.  The rest of the country simply got self inflicted harm (economic and health).  I happened to be in the US when the lockdown went into effect (in essence got trapped in USA for several months).  Where I was at, doctor's offices - dentist offices were all closed.  Only the hospital was allowed to remain open and all "elective" surgeries were put on hold.  And the number of hospital visits for things like strokes and heart attacks plummeted.  Those are future deaths due to poor public policy.

Worse yet, the lockdown set up a huge public distrust.  When your town/community has low number of infected people but very high number of people suffering economically you stop listening to what your "leaders" are telling you. And it lessens folks willingness to sacrifice in the future.

2. WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD IN THE BEGINNING TO WEAR MASKS.  It should trouble all Americans that the CDC/FDA both told us to NOT wear masks for almost two months.  NOW they say they only said that to prevent a run on medical masks.  Huh?  When the mandate for masks appeared most people made their own/bought cloth masks!  Why would our public health agencies lie to us - they can't say make your own masks and don't try to purchase medical masks as they are needed in hospitals?  

3. The CDC botched the test kits.  They placed bureaucratic power games to set themselves up as the provider and controller of Covid testing.  And the kits didn't work - and then they lied about it!  How many people were fired?  Zero.  

Then the FDA enacted ADDITIONAL regulations that prevented private lab companies from producing their own test kits!  Why???  Somehow South Korea took off the shackles of government regulations for their lab companies and they had several different tests available in less than TWO WEEKS!  And in LARGE quantities.  Yet, in the US - with more and larger lab companies we struggled all the way through the summer to have enough testing available to the general public.  All due to government interference/control & frankly stupidity.  Again how many people fired for this nonsense?  Zero.

What the CDC should have done was to lead the effort to enlist all our lab companies to produce test kits and work to ensure they had the supplies available to expand their production.  They totally failed the country.

4. The president has failed to lead.  No, the virus isn't his fault.  But failing to communicate the seriousness (and at the beginning the simple fact that we didn't know exactly how dangerous this would be but had potential to be very deadly) made it harder for the country to respond.  And when the CDC/FDA told people to wear masks to cut down transmission to others he totally failed.  He needed to hold a press conference and announce to all Americans that we need to wear masks.  And then keep saying it and wearing a mask everywhere he'd be seen.  Its called leadership by example - easy thing to do in regards to masks.  

5. The press has failed.  Gary is right in that there has been mass hysteria via the media.  Bad news all the time.  Death and destruction is at your door (don't dare to open it just keep watching us tell you about it!).  They haven't held our public institutions to account.  They have used this as a weapon against a president they revile (and he has made it very easy for them by botching his duty to the country). 

The worst instance to me is how the press has been re-enforcing the idea that the work being done on a vaccine is somehow "Trump" and not to be trusted.  Huh?  It seems to me that the one area of government response that has been on the mark is the mobilization of our drug companies to fund/research/produce a vaccine.  Its the one thing Trump's team has gotten right.  And yet, all we hear is how somehow Trump will unleash a vaccine for political purposes.  Then when people avoid getting a vaccine they will then blame Trump.

6. Our children were harmed by the mass closing of schools and continue to be harmed through the mass disruption of their education.  This has the potential to be the longest lasting damage from the virus.  And its been aided by those politically opposed to the president.  Just as its ridiculous that the President refuses to wear a mask, its equally ridiculous for the teacher's unions/press/democratic governors to be proclaiming that "remote learning' is ok for our kids - that its something they are trained to provide - and that teacher's shouldn't be in the classroom with children due to "safety" concerns.  Those that have conditions that would make Covid exposure a serious health risk should be allowed to take a year off.  Everyone else should put on their masks and teach our kids.

Its been a total disaster for the USA.  We've harmed ourselves economically, harmed our citizens' belief in their government, harmed our children's future, and didn't avoid much in the way of Covid infections.  We've further damaged our standing in the world and lessened the world's ability/willingness to hold China accountable for their actions.  Similar to Ebola, this virus should have been contained early on through simple transparency and action.  If third world dictators can openly signal to the world a virus is loose a large country like China can/should do at least as much.  

Gary, I hope you keep wearing your mask.  Not because of anything the government says, but because its the best way to lessen your risk of infection and it reduces the likelihood of you infecting others if you got infected.  In Southeast Asia when Covid news broke in late January the majority of people here started wearing masks.  Not because their governments told them to.... but because of their complete mistrust of China's government.  Poor uneducated people understood that a mask would help them to not get infected and took it upon themselves to protect themselves.

So view it as an act of individual action in the face of government repression!!!

• Don_Homer likes this

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#16 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Major

• Members
  • 1,364 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted A week ago

While I appreciate your Republican leanings you're too young to have experienced many of the scares that have been promoted in the press over the decades. The famous phrase that applies with this latest scare is "This, too, shall pass."

Gary this is ridiculous. You are appreciating his Republican leanings because its like you, but you dont appreciate his age because he is too young. I think his being young gives him an more open eye on the things than you concerning Corona. You are ignoring all great statistics offered by some users like Vertigo and TemplateRex in this topic. Fairway made a great nuanced post and you should respect his concerns for his family. A lot of people with all kind of different problems (including age) are more sensitive for Covid and more vulnerable. I support his plea to wear masks in these times to protect them.

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#17 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,151 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted A week ago

I appreciate that analysis, Scott. There's been some good with Trump's response that has still gotten skewered by the press, certainly.

One thing I would add to all you said is that it seems to me here in Indiana we've been led first by corporations, and not first by the government, into this brave new world of masking. Once more and more businesses began requiring masks, that seemed to make it easier for our Republican governor to issue his statewide mandate here, relatively late on July 27th. Now that his mandate is nearing the end on October 17th, it remains to be seen whether any businesses will follow suit and return to normal with no masks again. Or, if the mandate will be extended at the 11th hour.

We will have to disagree with the need for masks. I will wear one myself only as long as it is legally required. I believe our God-given immunity systems will easily conquer this virus in the vast majority of instances, and has already been seen.
Posted Image

#18 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,151 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted A week ago

No one has any statistics showing that otherwise healthy 20-somethings are keeling over from this virus. Young people have virtually no chance of dying from it. The only people who will, young or old, are suffering from other co-morbidities, or pre-existing conditions. The emperor of panic has no clothes here.

Sure, if you have relatives or people you regularly see who are older or in questionable health, it always pays to be more careful around those persons. But that's always been the same. You can't go to Grandma's house if you're sick.

Posted Image

#19 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • 7,151 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted A week ago

You're a moron, thanks for the reminder
But then again you were open to the idea that the earth is flat...
So I guess I should not be too surprised

astros, you're too kind as always. I note you're growing softer on me, however. You now only claim I was open to flat earth ideas instead of calling me a flat earth outright. Hmm. For the record I have been open to some questions the f.e. people ask, that's true, but that hardly makes me one of them. Of the two of us I am sure I'm the only one who has made a YouTube video questioning flat earters in any way.

Being close-minded about things one doesn't fully understand is worse than being open-minded about them.

Posted Image

#20 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted A week ago

Here in NL there has been some discussion about whether masks actually help or not, but I don't have a problem with the masking requirements in public transport etc. On one hand, seeing everyone with a mask can give people a sense of urgency but it can also make people careless about other rules because they think the mask will protect them anyway. 

Talking about how good or bad certain countries are doing, I wanted to remind you all of this highly successful nation called Taiwan. It has 529 reported cases and only SEVEN deaths. They haven't had a single covid death since May 11.

You know why? Because from the very start of the epidemic, they did not trust the Chinese Communist Party for one second. They were right.

• GaryLShelton, Nortrom and Fairway like this
Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users