Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:54 AM

This thread will be for reading of the rules and questions only.  Sign page is located at:  http://forum.strateg...madness-signup/

Note bold faced text are new rules.

March Madness!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What:  64 players taking part of an single elimination NCAA Men's basketball March Madness Style event to determine who will play in the World Team Event between Organizations around the world starting in June of 2016.  

When:  This event will begin on Monday Feb 29th! and will be finished by early April.

Who:  Open to any players who are members of the North American Stratego Federation and who have played at least 200 matches and has an ELO of at least 200.  

Why:  A chance to take on the best players in the world and a chance to say we have the best players in the world in our Federation!

How:  Players interested should signup for this event and signup will begin on Monday Feb 1st and will close on Sunday Feb 28th!  

Seeding for this event will go by ELO as of Feb 28th.  Our team may only send 5 players and one alternate. The Top 4 finishers will have an automatic entry to this World Event team event and NASF Committee will choose the 5th player and alternate to be determined by how they finished in event and past playing overall performance.  

1. General:

a. This event is our March Madness event single elimination.

b. The tournament will be run by Midnightguy, Chewtoy, --Wogomite--, and Match serving as judges.

c. The tournament is scheduled to begin on March, 1st at 12 AM eastern time with all games to be played over the next 5 weeks or less pending on number of players.

d. Players who participate will become members of the NASF if they are not already. 

e. Players who can not participate in this even may still join the NASF and can play in future events we will hold.  

2. Eligibility:

a. A player must possess citizenship in a North American, Central American or Caribbeancountry.  Players with duel citizenship are permitted as long as one of their citizenship's are of a North American country.   

b. A player must have an ELO score of at least 200 or a minimum of 200 games played.

c. A player must be registered at the Stratego.com forum.

d. A player may only enter on one account. The player must use the same account in all tournaments run by the NASF.

e. The tournament judges reserve the right to refuse entry to any player suspected of not meeting the eligibility requirements.

f. The first 64 players who sign up for our event who are eligible will be accepted in our event. 

g. If a player verbally drops out of the event before the start date of the event, first player who asked to join after closing of the event, will be given an invite. 

3. Format:

a.  On March 1st,  our first pairings will be given and ELO on Feb 29th after sign up closes will determine seeding including any byes that may occur during the event.  

b. The two players in a matchup will play a game with the winner advancing to the next round.

c. If a tie occurs, the two players must immediately play another game to determine a winner. Unless, a date within 24 hours is agreed upon.

d. The format of this tournament is single elimination, a player is eliminated when he or she has lost their match.

f. Matches will be posted in the forum as a topic for those two players so they may setup matches and report results.  

4. Scheduling:

a. Players are expected to play at least one game a week. The game must be completed by Monday 12 AM EST of that week it was scheduled .

b. Players will use the forum topic of where their match is posted and give at least give some time slots of availability. 

c. To be valid, a time slot must be at least two hours. A time slot must fall between 6 PM - 12 AM EST Monday through Friday or 12 PM - 12 AM EST Saturday and Sunday.

d.      If both players have posted valid time slots (in accordance with Rule 4c) by Wednesday 11:59 PM EST, but there is no matching time, then players may continue to post valid time slots until Friday 11:59 PM EST. If no agreement has been reached (by Friday 11:59 PM EST) then the game will automatically be scheduled for Sunday 8:00 PM EST.

NOTE: Players may still MUTUALLY agree to play their game on a different time, as long as it starts no later than Sunday 11:00 PM EST.

e. If a player has not posted (at least) 3 valid timeslots (in accordance with Rule 4c) by Wednesday 11:59 PM EST then this player may be forfeit the match. (Note that a forfeit only applies if there are no existing game arrangements) Whilst TC will help out wherever possible by highlighting when time slots are not valid, it is the sole responsibility of the player to ensure that this requirement is met. 

f. If a player is not present 10 minutes after 8pm EST their opponent may claim victory by taking a screenshot by showing their opponent offline on their friends list.

g. If both players fail to appear during set scheduled match of 8pm EST on Sunday, the player who demonstrated the best effort to set up a match will be declared the winner.  If no effort is made by either side, then player with the current higher ELO will be declared the winner.  

5. Reporting:

a. For a result to be official the winner must send a screenshot to the tournament board clearly showing the result or may post screen shot  or video clip to forum via file attachment or hyperlink to a picture sharing site. 

b. If winner of the match fails to produce a screen shot or video clip to show they won, the loser of the match may declare the match must be replayed. 

c. However, if both players confirm the result of the match publicly on their forum post match, the tournament board will accept this in lieu of a screenshot. However, it is strongly recommended that winner produces a screenshot or video clip of  the result.

d. A player who falsely claim of a victory, will be disqualified from the event and may face expulsion from the NASF.

6. Additional Rules:

a. If a player feels their opponent is refusing a draw, they should report it to the tournament judges. The tournament judges will rules on draw refusal cases according to the rules of the Moderation Team. Those rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...-topic/?hl=kiss

b. If a player feels their opponent is demonstrating abusive behavior, they should report it to the tournament judges. Players found guilty of abusive behavior will be removed from the tournament and may be removed from the NASF.

c. If a player disconnects on their opponent instead of surrendering that player is guilty of abusive behavior.

d.  This event will enforce the ISF rule of double chasing.  Any lengthy double chasing that is recorded on video may be presented to the judges.  If the video shows such evidence exists of double chasing, the player in violation will forfeit that match.

e. Unless if both players agree to it, no video recording of a match will be permitted to be published to any website.  However if a video shows that of a violation to our rules or Stratego.com it will only be shared to that of tournament judges: Midnighguy, Chewtoy, --Wogomite--, and Match. 

f. If a player is disconnected due to a bug, a rematch may be played at the discretion of the disconectee's opponent. If the player who is disconnected has a video of the disconnection they may share it with the tournament judges. The judges may compel a rematch. 

g. Participants may only post on their game thread, the tournament questions thread or in the Marshal Blitz.

h. Players may not accuse the other of unfair play during the match or openly in the forums.  Any concerns about unfair play should be addressed in a private message to the tournament judges.  Any player who fails to demonstrate that their opponent was indeed cheating or doing unfair play, will be disqualified from the rest of the event and may face expulsion from the NASF to be determined by the Committee.  In other words, please be 100% certain you are correct in your accusations, for if the judges fail to agree with your claims you will be disqualified from the event and face expulsion from the NASF.  The burden of proof will lie on that accuser.  

i. Players are expected to be civil and respectful of each other.

7. Sign Up for Event:

Sign your name on post below if you are interested in joining our event and meet our eligibility requirements.  When you sign up, we will also send you a private message in the forum and you will confirm to us that you read and agree to our rules.  Your name will not be added to participation list until you send us confirmation you have read and agree to rules.

Deadline to enter the event will be Sunday Feburary 28th,  at 6pm EST.   

Any questions add them to this topic or private message to:  Midnightguy, Chewtoy, --Wogomite--, or Match

See you at the Battlefield!

8. Questions and Answers:  

Please post on this thread.  

Midnightguy, Chewtoy,  --Wogomite--, and Match

#2 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:47 AM

Wouldnt it be better for double elimination?

it seems more fair, for example if a player was just unlucky

I have no idea what that thing under my avatar is. I've always liked stickers

#3 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

This World Event was sprung up quickly on us.  I agree that there should be better ways to pick someone, but we are still new as a Federation.  However, two positions on the World Team will still be choose by us, so if someone we really felt was great but got unlucky can still be on the team plus an alternate.   

• KARAISKAKIS and Moriarty like this

#4 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

I don't think Rule 5b is appropriate.

If we can't play a game and simply report the result, then something is very wrong.

If you are going to keep this rule then I would propose that anyone challenging the reported result of a match, and is later found to have actually lost the match - ie they know they lost and claim otherwise - is permantly banned from all future tournaments.

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#5 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

No one has ever done that Scott. At least I the two years I have played so I would not worry about that. However, I agree on punishing people who falsely report.
3 - 0

#6 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

Thank you Scott from raising that concern.  I have added rule 5d.  

• sevenseas likes this

#7 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:29 AM

Who are your favorites for this event?

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,803 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:58 AM

The times for game arrangements I'm seeing in other tournaments have typically been for starting times, but I don't see that here. That is, if I say I'm available to play 12-2 EST then that means I'm good to start a game anywhere between 12 and 2. Making this change in 4c. would align with other tourneys on the site.

The way things are, if a time arrangement is made for 12-2 now, it is only possible to start the game at 12 exactly to allow for the 2 hour minimum time window required in 4c.

The benefit of making time arrangements the other way is that the length of the game is immaterial to judging the validity of a game arrangement. A game can be arranged from 12-12:30 and be perfectly fine because that's when both players said they could start the game. If a game then goes on for 2 1/2 hours there's no problem.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#9 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

I would hope there would be no games going on 2 1/2 hours Gary.  The two hour block times are just a reference time and average time it seems for many of our games are about 30-45 mins.  

#10 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:48 AM

Where is Constrictor and Enigma who said they'd join?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users