TrumpsterBob

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Spy

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:35 AM

With so many players now using online cheat apps to play this game when can we look forward to new coding to prevent it?

#2 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

With so many players now using online cheat apps to play this game when can we look forward to new coding to prevent it?

What apps?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#3 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Well there is the Stratego Piece Revealer 5000 for starters (9.99 Euros, 5000 uses). This app allows you to click and reveal any moved opponent piece.

Another popular app is the Grenade (4.99 Euros, 100 uses).This allows a bomb to move and attack like a scout.

A less commonly used cheating app - mainly due to its price and destructive nature (99.99 Euros, 10 uses) - is the Avalanche. Randomly at the end of a turn a boulder will fall and kill all pieces within a 4 by 4 square.

The Avalanche app is commonly used in conjunction with the Resurrect App, which brings back to life the last killed piece (19.99 Euros, 25 uses).

I call upon admins to code some defences against these apps immediately, as if you observe the leaderboards you will see that the richest players are swamping the top of the leaderboard.

I know some will argue ‘If there is cheating then why are there not a few players who just never lose?’. But this is because as so many players are using cheat apps it is difficult to always beat a player who is also using cheat apps.

Edited by TheOptician, 13 August 2019 - 09:02 AM.

• GaryLShelton, texaspete09, slowmutant8 and 3 others like this

#4 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Lieutenant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

https://www.youtube....t0vpx8Ca4&t=10s

TrumpsterBob, do you mean something like this? And how do you know so many players are using it?

Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#5 Sorrow

Sorrow

Miner

• NASF Committee
  • 245 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

Sorry TrumpsterBoB when you’re rated lower than the worst computer skill level setting, everyone seems like a cheater.
The way I defend against the cheaters is to drink many beers, it helps me accept the losses.
#Maga

Edited by Sorrow, 13 August 2019 - 06:14 PM.

#6 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

What apps?

Nonexistent apps.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#7 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,612 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

Just seen a new cheat app released today.

The Promotion app (500 uses, 14.99) allows you to upgrade any piece by one rank. (Can use multiple times on the same piece).

Gary - This is worrying for the state of the online game. Can you confirm whether or not you have actually written to admin about these cheat apps?
  • texaspete09 likes this

#8 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 545 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

The Promotion app (500 uses, 14.99) allows you to upgrade any piece by one rank. (Can use multiple times on the same piece).
Gary - This is worrying for the state of the online game. Can you confirm whether or not you have actually written to admin about these cheat apps?

I do hope the developers of the Promotion app fix the most recent bug though, I attempted to use this today and for some strange reason my general was reduced to a captain! On a more positive note, there is rumor of a Stratego cheating app sale at the end of the month: Avalanche and Grenade bundle, buy one Stratego Piece Revealer 5000 get another free, half off Resurrects. I’ll be sure to stock up on mine before WCO starts.
  • TheOptician, Sorrow and aruna like this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#9 R u Mocking Me ?

R u Mocking Me ?

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

Save ya cash/money !!! Most of us true players use The Force !!! A few use Voodoo but that can lead you down the dark path !  :lol:

• MG_Earp likes this

#10 MG_Earp

MG_Earp

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:40 PM

Save ya cash/money !!! Most of us true players use The Force !!! A few use Voodoo but that can lead you down the dark path ! :lol:

Hahaha:) Force to be with us :)

#11 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

I'll never use cheat apps again.

I was playing on my mobile and I enabled the Promotion app. I had a rotten losing streak and I wanted to remedy this by any means necessary. I wanted to promote one of my colonels into a general so I would have two generals. The idea is simple. With two generals and one marshal, I have a rather dangerous force. I would either win on the spot, or I would eventually win in endgame with an advantage of smaller pieces.

Unfortunately, due to small pieces on mobile, I mistapped which piece I wanted to promote. I wanted to promote my Colonel but I accidentally tapped my 'marshal'. I guess the app developer never envisioning anyone would try to promote their own marshal. This backfired tragically, as my most powerful piece was turned into a useless, mere spy. I suppose the app logic was programmed such that the piece being promoted turns into the piece that beats the original piece. So a major turns into a colonel, a colonel turns into a general, a general turns into a marshal, and... by conclusion... a marshal turns into a spy. 

Inevitably, I lost that game rather swiftly. I learnt my lesson. I'm playing it straight from now on. 

Edited by UnladenSwallow, 16 August 2019 - 07:46 PM.

• TheOptician, -Bluecher- and Sorrow like this

#12 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,612 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

There’s a new cheat app that has just been released today - the Decimalizer (100 uses, 4.99 Eur). Unfortunately this sounds way better than it actually is - it allows you to increase (or decrease - depending on what numerical system you use) any piece by a rank of 0.5.

Best time to use this is if you are about to trade a piece. Just give your piece a sprinkle of Decimalizer and take the win. Great for annoying opponents, though I imagine this is going to cause complaints as players start coming on the forum and asking why their major lost to a major.

Come to think of it, I’m surprise there hasn’t been more of a backlash against the prevalence of cheat apps on this site.

Can TC or WCO confirm whether cheat apps are allowed on tournament play? I presume not, but some cheat apps are more carefully disguised (such as the Morale App - 200 uses, 2.99 Eur - which increases the morale of your troops by 20%).

Edited by TheOptician, 19 August 2019 - 03:11 PM.

• aruna likes this

#13 Nortrom

Nortrom

Marshal

• WC Online Team
  • 3,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

WCO take on such practice

Spoiler

We may also impose a ban on stupidity, but we fear we may lose a participant or two in that case.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog post

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor”

#14 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,612 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:30 PM

Cool, so cheat apps are legit for WCO.

#15 MG_Earp

MG_Earp

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

Why people use apps to play games? I don't understand that. Then all fun for playing is lost, even if you win I don't imagine what those players felling is. This is not their true skill. And if you want to be good why would you use apps, which decrese your skills.

I am playing games because I love board games. Chess, poker, stratego and any other board game on this world. And the best felling is when you know, that you beat opponent with your skills, your tactic, your strategy.

I am sad when I hear the people don't want to develop themself.

If you want to learn how to win you need to know how to lose, but don't enjoy when you lose, otherwise you will never win :)

#16 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:46 PM

Why people use apps to play games? I don't understand that. Then all fun for playing is lost, even if you win I don't imagine what those players felling is. This is not their true skill. And if you want to be good why would you use apps, which decrese your skills.

In case you can't tell, this entire thread is chock full of sarcasm.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users