Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,256 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

Hi

So let's make an example

Player "X" has 2 aliases and he has decided to play with them for more than a year. Player "X" has never played tournaments. He then decided to make a new alias and plays with it. He doesn't have to say it to anyone, he is free to do what he wants right? Now he decides to play in tournament and declares them, he is fine, he can play.

Overlord had some aliases, he was not in a tournament like player X and decided to make a new one. The day Overlord will register to a tournament, then he will declare his alias and will be fine to play.

The situation between X and Overlord is most likely the sam from my point of view, the only difference is that Overlord has played tournaments before.

The rules applies for tournament players, as Overlord is not in a tournament now, he just can't be considered a tournament player, but like any other player.

Let's use another example (again, not saying OVERLORD did any of that  but just to show that your point is faulty)

The Champions League begins right after the end of WinterTourn. 

Let's say , instead of registering for WT I make 200 alias accounts, raise them all to platinum and start scouting platinum players' setups. 

When ChL begins I declare those 200 accounts. 

Based on your interepretation I have done nothing wrong and I should not be banned. 

Of course, this case is far lighter than what I described, but based on your interpretation of the rules I could do that and be just fine. 

I hope you do see you have made a mistake there. 

• Major Nelson likes this

Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal)
Greek Champion 2019 

#42 Edmond Dantes 1844

Edmond Dantes 1844

General

• Moderators
  • 2,227 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

All: Please don‘t forget that english is for most players a foreign language.

You are 100% correct, John, but I must say that you have excellent English language skills, and I deeply respect all people who have English as a second language and are willing to communicate in the English language.

We have clearly to show mercy for this first case.

First of all, I must say I am very sad that Overlord has received a serious penalty for something he chose to do. The issue that arises out of this action is that if the TC does not enforce the rules and regulations which they have published and abide by, then the very goal of the Alias Registry, that of protecting players of all ranks, becomes invalid and useless. In other words, the whole value of this system is then compromised, undermined, and destroyed...you may as well get rid of the Alias Registry.

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse that is accepted by any court, in any country, on this planet. Example: You go to a country you have wanted to visit called Paradiso Infinito. You are walking in the street, not on the sidewalk, on a Thursday afternoon between the hours of 15:00 and 16:00. Suddenly, you are arrested and brought before a judge. You are sentenced to one year in prison for breaking one of their very important laws. The fact that you did not know about it does not excuse you from it...by the way, the law was created to protect all people from being hurt or killed because at that specified time, the streets are being sprayed with a special agent designed to keep control of a rare and lethal fungus existing only in Paradiso Infinito. Nothing is stopping you from making an appeal to the court, and no doubt, and a court would consider the fact that you are a visiting tourist, so you may get a suspended sentence.

In this case, the terms of the registry are very clear, and none of us here are tourists in a land in which we are not familiar–quite to the contrary. Up to this point, I have read a lot of arguing, finger pointing, disappointment, frustration, and upset, but the TC has already invited a discussion, and in spite of the TC's willingness to discuss this matter openly in the forum, not a single person here has made a significant or decent proposal other than to suggest, "You must show leniency and look the other way," without any solid reasons as to why.

If anyone here should be thinking of how best to appeal to the TC, I would suggest that John V. start thinking about this matter, compose a thoughtfully written letter of appeal, and submit it to the TC in the hopes of either having the punishment overturned OR having the sentence reduced. His reaction to all of this is completely understandable, but so far, his behavior towards it is not helping him–laughing at it, as an example. Would you laugh at the judge who is about to pass sentence on you, or would you try to appeal to the judge and try to demonstrate something of your character and good natured quality?

#43 Nortrom

Nortrom

Marshal

• WC Online Team
  • 4,113 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

I know you Don't want me in MT for some reasons… probably because my father is Napo1 and you didn't like what he did in the past… but against, he is not me and I'm not him. Out of this, you focus on the sentence "Top players should have an immunity" when, for my part, I have explained exactly and clearly what I was meaning with it. 

I asked the TC to make a poll to re consider their opinion and explained what, I have the right to do so, MT candidature has Nothing to do here.

Overlord doesn't need a lawyer, and I Don't conisder myself like it. I'm just seeing him being banned from tournaments for a rule that in my opinion, he hasn't done. There is a difference between friends and lawyer, and defending a friend who is not wrong, is just normal.

It is not that I do not want you as a person in MT, I feel that you have shown (imo) that you are simply not fit by my standards.

You are, I feel, not doing Overlord any service. If anything, TC will now be seen as making exceptions for " top players " should they change their decision, guess who this idea came from..

sOoQsuN.png

#44 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

Player "X" has 2 aliases and he has decided to play with them for more than a year. Player "X" has never played tournaments. He then decided to make a new alias and plays with it. He doesn't have to say it to anyone, he is free to do what he wants right? Now he decides to play in tournament and declares them, he is fine, he can play.

I don't think that's fine at all. At the very least, after declaring aliases that have been played with in the past, there should be a "cooling off" (or suspension, or ban, whatever) period. 1 years seems excessive, but 3 months reasonable. It's the same with out-of-competition doping controls in sports. You can't just show up at a competition and expect to play. You need to have been transparant beforehand. Overlord wasn't. 

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#45 R u Mocking Me ?

R u Mocking Me ?

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Many here seem to be polarized on this topic. It is a shame that JV-Overlord has gotten himself into this situation. I do not play in tournaments but I am a regular everyday player. I am not a MT member but have a fair understanding of their work . JV as THE number one TOP ranked player one would hope for more ! As an MT member you should surly know better .You have started to walk a path that I fear will be a dead end ! Step up as others have suggested and let the TC do what they like. Consequences come to all folk -- Presidents and residences and everyone in between.You seem to have made a mistake. You claim to have misunderstood the rule-- it happens. During a Stratego stream I happened to mention this exact topic to two Plat. Marshals. What if anything  should one do if they know a tournament player has an undeclared  acct ? One wanted to know who ? The other suggested - mention  the player  needs to register the acct. Both were good points. I recently played a Plat. player who thought the same way as JV-- they were not in tournaments currently and felt they were with in guidelines. This player still has not changed their status in alias reg.even though I told them they should. Are JV and this player the only two ? I doubt it. I want a bigger player pool. I want rules to guide the game. I want...balance in the force : )  I am old and rarely do I get what I want. Change comes slowly but it does come. As Depeche Mode sang- People are People.  :mellow:

#46 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,270 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:03 PM

Let's start with the fact that the "Tournament Bans" topic is only for TC announcements and nobody else is supposed to write on it, yet OVERLORD abused his moderator powers to reply. I cannot quote his post, so I'll just repeat what he wrote.

"But yes, this is the only way to stop me."

Don't flatter yourself. Hard as it may seem to you to believe, not everybody hates you because they are jealous of you. Some of us actually despise you because we consider you a disgrace for this site because of your cheating.

"Without doing anything illegal, without playing a tournament..."

Wrong. You did break the rules. Although you made a big effort to slide over the rules without doing something theoretically illegal.

"...without having bad purposes (if i had why tell everyone who i am?) ONLY WANT THE GOOD OF THE SITE, BUT JEALOUSY FROM SOME PEOPLE IS FACT."

Wrong again. You did not tell everyone who you were. On one hand you claim that you did not have any bad purpose and it was obvious who you are. On the other hand, you neglected to mention it at the Alias Register thread and refused to admit who you were to texaspete09 and josephwhite (I'm not sure I have understood what happened with josephwhite, but texaspete09 certainly asked you who you were and you tried playing mind games with him). Clearly something doesn't add up.

I know you far too well to know that the only thing you care about is yourself, so spare us the morality lecture.

Also, you have created literally countless accounts, some of them recently (terror1st for sure), you have filled the leaderboards with your accounts, and now all of a sudden you are a strong advocate of getting rid of all aliases? You either had an epiphany, or you are trying to hide something; forgive me for tending to believe the latter one.

"Community: please see these ridiculous TC members acting like they have some extra power vs us and do whatever they want. The thing that you organise tournaments behind a PC is nothing. Everyone can do that. You should respect players and much more, a well known and the #1 player..."

MT, please open a case against this clown for publicly scoffing a TC for simply doing their job. Also, OVERLORD, I'd very much like to see you successfully run an online tournament if it's nothing. Finally: dude, it doesn't matter whether you are the best or the worst player at this site, nobody is above the law. Such a shameful statement from an MT member.

"First time im so angry with someone in stratego world."

Imagine how angry we are (I refer to those of us who are not blinded to your ill'doing by your talent). You are such a good player and yet you still choose to cheat. Such a disappointment. And don't start again with the "I didn't intend to cheat shit.". It was VERY simple to just write a post declaring your new alias, but the great OVERLORD can't be bothered. You are continuously walking close to the cliff, and you finally fell.

"STRATEGO means live."

Imagine my shock when I read this post. OVERLORD is using an excuse to convince us he doesn't care. Dude, when will you ever realise the more you try to persuade us you don't care, the more you actually do? Seriously, this ship has sailed.

"Bunch of idiots."

MT, please add this to the case I assume you are going to open.

Now, about the other posts.

1 year is simply to harsh a punishment.

I disagree. Actually on first thought it is, but judging by the fact that he has already been permanently banned once, that he now cheated again even though he is a moderator, and that this was the second time he breaks this rule, I feel it is justified. Also, Angel, because I like you and respect you, trust me: if you only knew about half the cheating this guy has done (especially the big one last year at EPOS2018), you would believe this guy should be banned for life from the site.

I also believe whilst it might not be the popular opinion, Higher rated players especially the world champion shouldn’t be banned at all.
We have the best player in the world in his prime and 1 year of his online tournament play will be gone for what?

Oh, Angel, come on buddy, seriously? You are asking the TC not to punish him based on his gaming level?

What is wrong with my talking style? All I was trying to say is you weren’t as transparent as you could have been, I wasn’t trying to get you banned from tournaments, I didn’t even know that was not allowed;

Again, sorry if you feel I am the reason for your ban...

Pete, don't apologise when you are right. OVERLORD just doesn't ever feel remorse when he's done something wrong and never assumes responsibility for anything. He d' rather just accuse everybody else.

Now will you clarify what you meant with the Notorious series post?

My bet is you should start searching for accounts named Notorious or something like that, they are probably OVERLORD's but he cannot be bothered to mention them at the Alias Register.

I get what you are saying now. When I initially asked if you had any other accounts in our game you thought I was just fooling around as if we both knew that I knew it was you. Now I was not 100% sure it was you, you were 74-0 at the time and I think there are other players on this site that can (or have) achieved that, like Spion, Sem, Major Nelson. I see this whole situation now as a simple misunderstanding where you took my initial question for irony. In this instance, it makes much more sense now why you didn’t feel it was necessary to answer my question immediately.

I have done 140-8 with ΙΩΝΑΣ. Truth be told, I have played very few games over the past months, but you don't know it, you couldn't take it for granted that it was OVERLORD you were playing against.

Unregistered aliases are an unfair advantage against unaware opponents in future tournaments as well. This is why there are out-of-competition doping controls in physical sports, and whereabouts registration (like our alias register). In sports, you cannot just stop playing tournaments, train for a year with doping, then just say you are active again and compete in official tournaments. For that to happen, you need to have been checked out-of-competition for a continuous period.

This is an excellent argument. In this case, OVERLORD could have assumed that he could create a dozen aliases while he is taking a break from tournaments without mentioning them at the Alias Register, delete them just before the next tournament he would take part in starts, and then do the same thing when the tournament ends. If you have basic logic, you realise there is something wrong with a player being allowed to do that.

Imagine that I create an alias as soon as the Winter Tournament starts, play against OVERLOD without there being any way for him to know it's me (and don't say "Who else would it be?", you have to be typical about these things), erase the account right before the Champions League starts, and then get matched up with OVERLORD in the tournament. Isn't this unfair for him?

Without getting into the specifics of the case, I think some on here should really re-calibrate their moral compasses. 

Suggesting that a "top player" should be immune to consequences of their action(s) is just plain stupid and displaying a high level of favoritism.

Thank God somebody understands this.

When spion... was removed from TC tournament & ongoing WCO, no one really spoke up. When Sir_Balanos13 (you are malaka, alias) was removed for the same reason, no one batted an eye. Now Overlord is on the hot seat, people suddenly speak up. Hypocrisy at its best. You may argue with TC whether the proper procedure was followed and a fair & just ruling was made. Those who believe Overlord, or anyone else, just because of who they are, should be exempted from any consequences, granted that TC made a just & fair ruling, really should re-consider their positions. Some even cheered when Yangus was removed from WCO and banned from TC tournaments due to alias register violation (and other misconducts).

Another big truth, I really like this guy.

...whne I say that Overlord and top players should have an immunity, it is about tournaments, not about other cases.

So, Sebastien, you think a player should break tournament rules without having to worry about the consequences just because he is a top player?

What community?

We have a dead game, dead site.

" :("

....we perfectly know he doesn't need to scout setups to be good.

Define good. Perhaps in order to reach 1300 you do need to scout set ups. I AM NOT SAYING THAT OVERLORD SURPASSED 1300 BECAUSE HE SCOUTED SET UPS. But it never hurts to know what set-up your opponent is using.

Let's use another example (again, not saying OVERLORD did any of that  but just to show that your point is faulty)

The Champions League begins right after the end of WinterTourn. 

Let's say , instead of registering for WT I make 200 alias accounts, raise them all to platinum and start scouting platinum players' setups. 

When ChL begins I declare those 200 accounts. 

Based on your interepretation I have done nothing wrong and I should not be banned. 

Of course, this case is far lighter than what I described, but based on your interpretation of the rules I could do that and be just fine. 

I hope you do see you have made a mistake there. 

Wow, roeczak actually thought of a similar example. Well there it is, do you need to hear it again?

To sum up:

I understand that many of you believe that OVERLORD didn't really intend to cheat. This may be the case (this time), but judging by his cheating record, I'm sorry I don't want to give him the benefit of the doubt. The fact that he did cheat doesn't change, and certainly the fact that he is a top player does not constitute an excuse. It was plain simple for him to write a post at the Alias register, or just admit right after getting matched up with texaspete09 who he was, but he chose to show off that he can detour the rules without doing anything illegal. Too bad for him his thinking was erroneous and he did break the rules.

I would also like to congratulate the TC for having the integrity to make this decision even though it was clear that it would raise many objections. No one is above the law.

If someone objects with my post, reply with arguments on where you disagree. No emotions and crap.

• texaspete09, Master Mind, TemplateRex and 1 other like this

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth."

-Plato

"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory."

-Bruce Lee

#47 Edmond Dantes 1844

Edmond Dantes 1844

General

• Moderators
  • 2,227 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

Dear Nick,

You and I have our differences between us, but please do not allow that to cloud the view to truth...I am very impressed with your thorough posting. You may have forgotten about this one point, so if I may draw your attention to it, please? (This is not the first time he has done this very thing...sadly).

http://forum.strateg...-bans/?p=440028

Thank you.

Edited by KissMyCookie, 24 May 2019 - 09:22 PM.

• Major Nelson likes this

#48 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,270 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:38 PM

Dear Nick,

You and I have our differences between us, but please do not allow that to cloud the view to truth...I am very impressed with your thorough posting. You may have forgotten about this one point, so if I may draw your attention to it, please? (This is not the first time he has done this very thing...sadly).

http://forum.strateg...-bans/?p=440028

Thank you.

I mentioned that this was the second time he breaks this rule. Yes, the link you just provided refers to the first case.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth."

-Plato

"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory."

-Bruce Lee

#49 Sorrow

Sorrow

Lieutenant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:50 PM

Hi Nick I am glad to see you around and would love to get a game with you asap and catch up :)

Idk if I missed something behind the scenes with you and John. Obviously none of my business to pry but something doesn’t seem right. You don’t have to comment on that but I hope you guys get through whatever it is. I like you both very much.

Everyone keeps harping on when I mentioned against popular opinion I would steer away from banning top players. I wasn’t given this as a reason to not ban him. This is just how I personally feel and would most likely stick up for anyone in the same case.

Overlord was not going about the way you hide an alias.

Examples - Telling players who he was.
Writing it down on his about page before this whole thing blew up. It was how I found it was Johns alt to begin with.
Not messing with the Stats. Meaning 0 losses all the way to 70 is something a specific few can do with out playing themselves.
Not hiding his country flag.
There are only a few people capable of doing what Terro1st account did and idk if publicly it was mentioned but it was clear Overlord was trying to beat Dreamcrusher999 win ratio for rating gained at least to me and he confirmed it when I asked for the reason if the acc.
——
Spion was giving a 6 month ban for a similar circumstance. Which I don’t think was right either.

I would petition TC to at least reduce Overlords ban to 1 tournament as it is obvious he had no ill intentions. Whilst Major nelson is calling him a cheater for other reasons, not that i believe him or not it has no effect whatsoever on this specific case.

Whilst you guys keep hating on the point I mentioned top player. I am a fan of Overlord it would be a huge waste to lose Overlord when he is in his prime. You guys don’t need to get it but It is a big loss. Look at what happened to Mohammad Ali.

#50 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • 1,467 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:03 PM

Whilst you guys keep hating on the point I mentioned top player. I am a fan of Overlord it would be a huge waste to lose Overlord when he is in his prime. You guys don’t need to get it but It is a big loss. Look at what happened to Mohammad Ali.

Better get some perspective. Going to prison for refusing to fight in Vietnam is not quite the same thing as failing to register an alias for the second time and being banned from online tournaments. There's still live tourneys.

And where would you draw the line for a top player, anyway? Would you give such a player a free pass for abusive language? For actual cheating in a live game? And what is the minimum rating threshold to get such a free pass? Does it come with a world title? Should Nortrom get 4 free passes?

• Major Nelson and Edmond Dantes 1844 like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#51 Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 508 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:06 PM

I agree he had no malice for hiding it, he wasn't trying to scout setups. He's a very good player (one of the best!) and certainly wouldn't have any reason to cheat. However his behaviour is still dishonest and contravenes the rules. He knows the rules perfectly well and it's a shame he chose to be deliberately coy and hide more accounts from the public. I do not approve of any particular favouritism to OL just because of his rank and status within the community. 

Edited by UnladenSwallow, 24 May 2019 - 10:09 PM.

• texaspete09 and Edmond Dantes 1844 like this
Live by the fable rule book or perish without it.

#52 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:47 AM

You done ♥♥♥♥ed up
I like to rub my wenus

#53 17761776

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:07 AM

If you’re going to tell your opponents your alias, then just declare it publicly.

#54 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

A case on this matter has been opened in mod chat for the moderators.
  • KARAISKAKIS, Major Nelson and Edmond Dantes 1844 like this
Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#55 Nortrom

Nortrom

Marshal

• WC Online Team
  • 4,113 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

What exactly would the MT's role in this? I believe this to be a TC matter (the alias register breach that is).

sOoQsuN.png

#56 Eagle06

Eagle06

Major

• Swiss Tournament Manager
  • 1,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

Major Nelson mentioned Overlord used his moderator "power" to do something (?)

Let's start with the fact that the "Tournament Bans" topic is only for TC announcements and nobody else is supposed to write on it, yet OVERLORD abused his moderator powers to reply. I cannot quote his post, so I'll just repeat what he wrote.

I never lose, I win or I learn…

Posted Image

#57 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

This is the answer to Nortrom question
"Community: please see these ridiculous TC members acting like they have some extra power vs us and do whatever they want. The thing that you organise tournaments behind a PC is nothing. Everyone can do that. You should respect players and much more, a well known and the #1 player..."

MT, please open a case against this clown for publicly scoffing a TC for simply doing their job. Also, OVERLORD, I'd very much like to see you successfully run an online tournament if it's nothing. Finally: dude, it doesn't matter whether you are the best or the worst player at this site, nobody is above the law. Such a shameful statement from an MT member.

"Bunch of idiots."

MT, please add this to the case I assume you are going to open.
  • Moghedien likes this

#58 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

What exactly would the MT's role in this? I believe this to be a TC matter (the alias register breach that is).

As the TC is subsidiary to the MT on the site, whenever something arises that the MT feels demands it the MT's role is to judge the actions of all involved. As the case involves an MT member the MT will engage its oversight, though OVERLORD will naturally be ineligible to vote on anything about this matter since it directly involves him.
Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#59 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

Vote on what, exactly?

#60 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:20 PM

Major Nelson mentioned Overlord used his moderator "power" to do something (?)

He unlocked a locked TC topic to make a post, but there is no need to escalate this - there is enough going on already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users