Photo

?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: ??? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

???

1. ??? (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. ??? (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

Edited by KissMyCookie, 18 June 2019 - 09:40 AM.

#2 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

Edited by KissMyCookie, 18 June 2019 - 09:37 AM.

#3 Eagle06

Eagle06

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,239 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

I am personally voting for 0 ELO reduced, in fact, although I agree with KMC, with the fact it is a negative approach, I think that 2 minutes and 30 seconds waiting is not that a big deal. It is also a supplementary work for moderators whom, in my opinion, have already a lot to do.

• TemplateRex and MG_Earp like this

I never lose, I win or I learn…

mC9Ytd3.png

#4 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

More time has been wasted on this topic than the actual time waste from the disconnects themselves  :rolleyes:

• Napoleon 1er, TheOptician, tobermoryx and 1 other like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#5 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

Edited by KissMyCookie, 18 June 2019 - 09:37 AM.

• Eagle06 likes this

#6 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Major

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

@KMC: if someone lottos a marsh + gen into your bombs, he is actually saving your time by disconnecting and letting a 2 minute timer run out. He could also shuffle pieces for another 15 minutes before you have organized a proper attack and clean up the remainder of his army. Just saying. 

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#7 Eagle06

Eagle06

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,239 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Thank you for your honest opinion, Napo 2. If it does not matter to you and is unimportant, shouldn't you then take into account how other players feel about this issue? In other words, there are other players who truly resent having their time wasted; therefore, shouldn't you offer them your support? josephwhite feels the loss of so much time is an egregious offense, and if you were to tally up the amount of time lost and wasted because a poor sport is basically throwing a temper tantrum at someone else's expense, (perhaps as much as a fully lost hour from your life), shouldn't we be in support of those other players?

Some food for thought.

Hi KMC,

Actually I totally understand your point, and I also understand what josephwhite means by "offense". Although this, I Don't think that someone who decides to leave you with 2.5 minutes to wait should deserve the same punition than someone who stays and play every 15 seconds…

If this is a problem, I can put my vote away, but I think it is my role of member of Community to share my opinion and if the majority feels the penality should be more, then let it be.

Greets

Séba

mC9Ytd3.png

#8 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

Edited by KissMyCookie, 18 June 2019 - 09:38 AM.

• Eagle06 likes this

#9 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

For me this isn't a big deal at all, I'll wait the 2:30 and then you win anyway, so what to worry about.

On the other hand I do think that if we want to punish people who behave like this, a 50 or 100 point penalty isn't going to have any impact at all, so 200 it is for me.

• tobermoryx, texaspete09 and KissMyCookie like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#10 R u Mocking Me ?

R u Mocking Me ?

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

I read that player L3AF left a disconnect to come back to a LOSS ! Sneaky rejoin. I think a penalty of some amount should be around for/if a player wants to make a report ! 50 pts or under is my thought-- I am posting this as Bddtech just disconnected yet again . :o  

My reasoning for this is simple, I won the match ! This players disconnect will cost them currently 50 pts -- so I recon this is like 3 losses for the disconnecting player. NOT much of a deterrence for them to do this again but a good (ticket ) for the offence.  

Edited by R u Mocking Me ?, 10 May 2019 - 03:57 PM.

#11 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 557 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

For me this isn't a big deal at all, I'll wait the 2:30 and then you win anyway, so what to worry about.

On the other hand I do think that if we want to punish people who behave like this, a 50 or 100 point penalty isn't going to have any impact at all, so 200 it is for me.

My thoughts are exactly the same, I just figured 100 would have basically the same effect as 200. 50 points does nothing really, and the only argument I can see for 0 is if you don't care about stopping disconnects, which I think is also viable option as it is only 2.5 min. 

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#12 Sorrow

Sorrow

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 569 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

The thing is I would be fine with a 100 point ELO deduction as long as you can 100% prove that it was a legit dc with the intent to steal your opponents time.

https://imgur.com/gallery/w1qxv9q I am nervous with the current MT members this might not happen, Gary recently reported that as an intentional dc and in my opinion Gary himself is in a losing to semi even position with a long ways to go to the game. Which most likely was an accidental dc.

I do think accidental DC to which the player doesn’t return should be punished as well either way with the current 50 point deduction.
Intentionally it should be 100, a 200 Elo deduction is a lot, imagine the player was rated 1k and goes to down to 800 because Gary couldn't decide if it was intentional or not, that player would have to play potentially 50-100 games with no losses to get that back. Which is absurd for a 2:30 dc to which the only harm is you can’t start right back in to your next game.

Thanks.
  • MG_Earp likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)
Dalee is a GOD!

#13 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • 1,602 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

The 'wasting my time' argument I don't get at all. I don't understand how you can play stratego at all if two and a half lost minutes is going to seriously impact your day. It is poor conduct by the disconnector but really does no harm to the opponent.

As has been pointed out, if the intention is to annoy the opponent, there are better ways to do this, 15 seconds per move etc.

I've always assumed most of these disconnects are a result of a player suddenly losing with a dumb move and hitting the x in anger without any thought to the opponent at all. Such impulsive behaviour is unlikely to be cured by these proposed penalties.

If there must be penalties then 50/100 points does seem pointless. With draw refusals for a 2nd offence there is a drop to 100. With this maybe a warning letter and then down to 100. Certainly it is better to keep it simple rather than have 4 steps etc

• TemplateRex and Eagle06 like this

#14 Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Sergeant

• WC Online Team
  • 485 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

punish sr don't punish dc

simple

Live by the fable rule book or perish without it.

#15 MG_Earp

MG_Earp

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

I will never report someone for dissconectiong. If I can play 40 min long games I can even wait for 2:30 min if someone dissconect. Sure I will be more happy if this guy surrender, but I understand that a lot of people don't know how to fight against their own anger. Like I always say, we can show good behavior, and this will get more positive influence. And sometimes people not intentional dc? How can he show dc wasn't intentional? He will lost points for no reason. I don't agree with such a big point reduction.
  • Eagle06 likes this

#16 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:29 PM

• MG_Earp likes this

#17 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

I am happy for the poll, but I'm of the opinion that I choose none of the above options.

The reason for this is that I think the best plan is one that has a schedule...kept as simple as possible as tobermoryx remarked...but a schedule that contains a VERY serious penalty at the end that takes the offenders all the way down to 100 ELO, or even a complete reset where the ELO not only goes to 100 but the W/L/T record goes to 0/0/0.  With this kind of penalty the drop is sudden and meaningful, which is good. We need to get the bad guys out of the neighborhood and the best way to do that is to punish repeat offenders severely.

Another reason I prefer the schedule approach is that I think that it's more fair in allowing for accidents than instantly docking someone 200 points who may never DC again.  If we give the disconnecter 2, 3, or 4 offenses before hitting them hard, then there's time to learn and there's an allowance for inadvertent power failures or the like .  I happen to prefer 4 offenses easy, then hard on the 5th.  For the honest guys, that's plenty.   With 4 "strikes", as it were, there's a lot less likelihood we will convict someone unfairly.  For the few that will be repeat offenders, they will cross the 4 offenses quickly enough and then find themselves in severe penalty land. 

A uniform penalty of 100 or 200 points has the advantage of simplicity, but I think that's a bit overrated.  If we adopt a plan of -100 points each time for 4 times, then RESET on the 5th, that's not terribly complicated.  The only thing we'll have to know is whether a person has been in front of us (the MT) more than 4 times before and that will be easy enough to determine.  

• texaspete09 likes this
Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#18 josephwhite

josephwhite

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

Among these options, I prefer 200pt. However, I would have done the poll differently, as I don't think it gives all the options. My preference would be either 100,200,300 for 1st, 2nd,3rd etc. or 100s then reset after 3.

#19 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

#20 Eagle06

Eagle06

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,239 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

Gary–I think that you have misunderstood this poll...this isn't a plan...that's MT's job, but by the looks of it, unless a "Nortrom-like" person is added to the MT, nothing is going to get done any time soon.

Well, I agree Nortrom has been amazing and made a great job, althought I think that MT with Nortrom was very good but doesn't mean that Nortrom is the whole MT. Every MT member have their personalities and decided to be part of it in order to contribute for the Community...

mC9Ytd3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users