Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hi guys!

There's a new game on my channel, I think it is a fantastic game to learn from since so many elements of Stratego are involved in this one. I made plenty of mistakes, when watching it back I think I counted 9 mistakes on my side. 

Here's the link, feel free to ask questions:

https://www.youtube....h?v=skVxYln38Rc

PS: Please forgive me for lottoing 1 piece with my general ;)

• tobermoryx, Yellowhat, Lord Invader and 2 others like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#2 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Swiss Tournament Manager
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 weeks ago

Great game !

• maxroelofs likes this
I never lose, I win or I learn…

#3 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 4 weeks ago

Great game, Max!  Nice how you were able to position him at the end in a way that allowed you to sweep 5 pieces w/your Miner.

Question: being down a Major, why did you decide to exchange Colonels? Was it because there was no way your Colonel could have trapped his Major, while it also would have been difficult to lure him into any kind of trap?

Edited by Lord Invader, 4 weeks ago.

• maxroelofs likes this

#4 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,144 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 weeks ago

Thanks for your reply!

I didn't really want to exchange kolonels, but his kolonel blocked mine so that I couldn't use it much. I still wouldn't have traded if he didn't scout my lieutenant next to it, I decided that I preferred to have the lieutenant lead and no kolonels.

Edited by maxroelofs, 4 weeks ago.

• Lord Invader likes this

#5 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 4 weeks ago

Thanks for your reply!

I didn't really want to exchange kolonels, but his kolonel blocked mine so that I couldn't use it much. I still wouldn't have traded if he didn't scout my lieutenant next to it, I decided that I preferred to have the lieutenant lead and no kolonels.

Turned out to be the right decision.

• maxroelofs likes this

#6 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Swiss Tournament Manager
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 weeks ago

I also think that your opponent should be proud of his performance, he gave you a great match although the level difference  :)

• maxroelofs and tobermoryx like this
I never lose, I win or I learn…

#7 SQA

SQA

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 4 weeks ago

Your captain hit an unknown piece @ B6 (12:12min) which the opponent used as a bluff as if it was a major. Did you take a calculated risk because you remembered that (1) that piece came from A9, and (2) there was a major @ B10 so it was highly unlikely that the opponent placed two majors so close to each other?

Still it seems there was too much luck at the moment when the general hit an unknown piece @ D8 that had never moved (5:05min). Looks like it was a wholly reckless decision. You were lucky not merely because it was not a bomb, but also because the general took the miner. This affected the end game where the opponent had no miners left, and ultimately the outcome of the entire game.

Anyway, it was a great game, and thank you for sharing!

• maxroelofs likes this

#8 MG_Earp

MG_Earp

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 4 weeks ago

I love games wins of players which play from behind and down material. Really show how you need to play from behind and really good decision was to take colonel to protect liutanant from my opinion and play with advantage of small pieces. (miners) New players can learn that you must to play till the end and not surrender too fast.
  • maxroelofs likes this

#9 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,144 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hello SQA, thanks for your response!

Your captain hit an unknown piece @ B6 (12:12min) which the opponent used as a bluff as if it was a major. Did you take a calculated risk because you remembered that (1) that piece came from A9, and (2) there was a major @ B10 so it was highly unlikely that the opponent placed two majors so close to each other?

Well noticed, those 2 reasons were the same ones that came to my mind, well payed attention on the other major that started there, seemed highly unlikely. :)

Still it seems there was too much luck at the moment when the general hit an unknown piece @ D8 that had never moved (5:05min). Looks like it was a wholly reckless decision. 

I agree that it was reckless (I referred to it in my message above), and that there is luck involved, but I think it might be to a lesser extend than what you maybe think. Him trading captains before an indication that makes it less likely to be a bomb. Also it would be logical if his flag was somewhere over on that side with so much power starting there (which it turned out to be), then a bomb in such position is unlikely because it's very inconvenient to play with. 

You were lucky not merely because it was not a bomb, but also because the general took the miner. This affected the end game where the opponent had no miners left, and ultimately the outcome of the entire game.

Those two statements are almost the same. If I don't hit a bomb, then it must be a piece, if it was a lieutenant or captain then the game would've been in a completely different shape as well, same if it was a kolonel or major (even though that is not likely given his respons to my captain earlier). You can say I was lucky not to hit a scout however. You can not say for certain that it changes the outcome of the entire game on the other hand. I allow trading pieces because I know that the situation I will end up in gives me a decent chance of winning, if this is not the case then I will do anything to stop the trading and that gives you a whole different game with a whole different goal. 

Edited by maxroelofs, 4 weeks ago.

#10 SQA

SQA

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 4 weeks ago

Excellent points, I really appreciate the explanation.

• maxroelofs likes this

#11 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 4 weeks ago

very nice game, you have been lucky with your lottoing captain on the right who took 2 sergeants and 1 scout before identifying a col and then lucky again with the lotto of your gen on that miner. I observe that all top players usually make 1-2 lotto in the early stages of the game which, if they are lucky, provides them a sufficient advantage that they only need to keep until game end to get victory. The art is to know where to lotto and with what piece.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#12 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,144 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 4 weeks ago

I don't believe Identifying the kolo was so lucky. If he didn't want to show it to me, than he shouldn't have taken the captain. The kolo ended up being traded as well. Of course I could have hit a bomb here, but at this stage of the game I wouldn't say the hit with the captain was very lucky. 

Also I don't agree that all top players lotto, in fact, when playing live or in a tournament (the most serious games in my opinion) you rarely see top players lotto untill it is necessary, only exception is if there is a big reward for the lotto. 

#13 MG_Earp

MG_Earp

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 4 weeks ago

From my opinion attack with captain on unmoved piece is not a lotto, at rhe beginning of the game or in mid game. This is completly calculated risk with agressive game. You can take some small piece, change captains or get good info. Even step on bomb in this stage of game is not game over, you can get info about bomb placement. Max good agressive game. I like agressive games. Fast and full of unexpacted situations and of course always play from behind.
  • maxroelofs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users